Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | [spreadsheet] lair census!
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
@chorderaos
thank you so much!! >v< i'm so thrilled that other people have had fun with it!

curses... every time i think i've fixed those darn colours, another one sneaks up on me... thank you for letting me know, i'll get that taken care of right away!!

(and no worries, i'm glad that you got the answer to your question! :D please do feel free to reach out if you ever have any issues or questions! ♥)
@chorderaos
thank you so much!! >v< i'm so thrilled that other people have had fun with it!

curses... every time i think i've fixed those darn colours, another one sneaks up on me... thank you for letting me know, i'll get that taken care of right away!!

(and no worries, i'm glad that you got the answer to your question! :D please do feel free to reach out if you ever have any issues or questions! ♥)
2P6JHiP.png
I did figure out how to add those two sections, but I was considering also adding Lineage(s) to the sheet. I'm just a little wary because, as mentioned, I'm not [i]great[/i] with sheets; I'm just pretty good at making good correlations. lol So my question to you is this: would it be possible for you to give a bit of an explanation so that I might be able to understand the commands that pull information better? For example: [code]=COUNTIF(Dragons!$O$2:$O,"*Gnarlhorns*")[/code] I vaguely understand that "Dragons" tells the sheet to take this information from the tab labeled "Dragons" and that the asterisks ask the sheet to recognize a word typed as is, but is the exclamation point part of the code for the tab? And what exactly do the $ indicate to the sheet? I realize I could just try to look up this information and I can do that if you aren't sure or don't want to try to explain! Thank you again!
I did figure out how to add those two sections, but I was considering also adding Lineage(s) to the sheet. I'm just a little wary because, as mentioned, I'm not great with sheets; I'm just pretty good at making good correlations. lol

So my question to you is this: would it be possible for you to give a bit of an explanation so that I might be able to understand the commands that pull information better? For example:
Code:
=COUNTIF(Dragons!$O$2:$O,"*Gnarlhorns*")
I vaguely understand that "Dragons" tells the sheet to take this information from the tab labeled "Dragons" and that the asterisks ask the sheet to recognize a word typed as is, but is the exclamation point part of the code for the tab? And what exactly do the $ indicate to the sheet?

I realize I could just try to look up this information and I can do that if you aren't sure or don't want to try to explain! Thank you again!
@chorderaos
ooh, lineages sounds intriguing! :D it would be fascinating to see like a family tree sort of thing, or maybe even a way to indicate which dragons are related in the sheet and connect them somehow... humm.

and i'd be happy to explain! hopefully this isn't too long winded, but i'm more than happy to clarify if anything is confusing!

__the exclamation point is basically the indicator telling the formula "we want the data from this other tab", just like you understand it! for tabs that have multiple words in the name, you would add single quotation marks around the phrase: 'like this'!A1:A

__the $'s keep that part of the cell info constant! so, for example, let's say we make a formula to add two cells together: =SUM(A1,B1). if you click on that cell and drag the bottom right corner down, it'll copy that formula in the following cells and adjust the cell info in the formula to accommodate, like this. so all the cells in the C column are =SUM(A1,B1), =SUM(A2,B2), =SUM(A3,B3), and so on and so forth without having to retype that formula over and over!

if you add $'s to make the formula =SUM($A$1,B1) and drag it down, you get this; now all of the formulae in the C column are: =SUM($A$1,B1), =SUM($A$1,B2), =SUM($A$1,B3), and so on!

(also, the asterisks allow the formula to ignore any text before and/or after the word for it to count! if it was just "gnarlhorns", it would exclude any cells that weren't exactly "gnarlhorns", so this allows us to be able to count any occurrences of "gnarlhorns" regardless of what comes before or after it~)
@chorderaos
ooh, lineages sounds intriguing! :D it would be fascinating to see like a family tree sort of thing, or maybe even a way to indicate which dragons are related in the sheet and connect them somehow... humm.

and i'd be happy to explain! hopefully this isn't too long winded, but i'm more than happy to clarify if anything is confusing!

__the exclamation point is basically the indicator telling the formula "we want the data from this other tab", just like you understand it! for tabs that have multiple words in the name, you would add single quotation marks around the phrase: 'like this'!A1:A

__the $'s keep that part of the cell info constant! so, for example, let's say we make a formula to add two cells together: =SUM(A1,B1). if you click on that cell and drag the bottom right corner down, it'll copy that formula in the following cells and adjust the cell info in the formula to accommodate, like this. so all the cells in the C column are =SUM(A1,B1), =SUM(A2,B2), =SUM(A3,B3), and so on and so forth without having to retype that formula over and over!

if you add $'s to make the formula =SUM($A$1,B1) and drag it down, you get this; now all of the formulae in the C column are: =SUM($A$1,B1), =SUM($A$1,B2), =SUM($A$1,B3), and so on!

(also, the asterisks allow the formula to ignore any text before and/or after the word for it to count! if it was just "gnarlhorns", it would exclude any cells that weren't exactly "gnarlhorns", so this allows us to be able to count any occurrences of "gnarlhorns" regardless of what comes before or after it~)
2P6JHiP.png
I have many dragons from different lineage projects, like Barghests and Archangels, so it would be awesome to actually know how many of each I have.

Knowing what dragons are related to each other would be might cool, too, because I know some of my Archangels are related to each other pretty closely!

Thank you for explaining! So in the example for gnarlhorns, the $O$2 part means "take the second word in column O", right? So first question is: what purpose does the :$O portion serve if we already know we're taking from that column and what part of that column?

Second question: some of the lineage project dragons I have are part of multiple lineages so is there a way to tell the sheet to take multiple words and kind of... add them together, sort of? If that makes sense.
I have many dragons from different lineage projects, like Barghests and Archangels, so it would be awesome to actually know how many of each I have.

Knowing what dragons are related to each other would be might cool, too, because I know some of my Archangels are related to each other pretty closely!

Thank you for explaining! So in the example for gnarlhorns, the $O$2 part means "take the second word in column O", right? So first question is: what purpose does the :$O portion serve if we already know we're taking from that column and what part of that column?

Second question: some of the lineage project dragons I have are part of multiple lineages so is there a way to tell the sheet to take multiple words and kind of... add them together, sort of? If that makes sense.
@chorderaos (just including the formula again to make it easier to see/keep track!) [code]=COUNTIF(Dragons!$O$2:$O,"*Gnarlhorns*")[/code] in the gnarlhorns formula, the $O$2:$O is the search range for the COUNTIF! $O$2 is the starting cell, and $O is the "end", basically saying that we want to search the entire O column. overall, the formula is basically saying "in the range of $O$2:$O, how many times do we find "Gnarlhorns" (excluding any text before or after)?" if i'm understanding you correctly, you most certainly could! you could label dragons with multiple lineages and then have a formula that counts each lineage individually~ something like this, as far as labeling goes: [center][img]https://i.imgur.com/dN9VXdI.png[/img][/center] and similar to the gnarlhorns formula, have something like: =COUNTIF(range, "*lineage x*") --> will count number of "x" occurrences =COUNTIF(range, "*lineage y*") --> will count number of "y" occurrences =COUNTIF(range, "*lineage z*") --> will count number of "z" occurrences
@chorderaos
(just including the formula again to make it easier to see/keep track!)
Code:
=COUNTIF(Dragons!$O$2:$O,"*Gnarlhorns*")

in the gnarlhorns formula, the $O$2:$O is the search range for the COUNTIF! $O$2 is the starting cell, and $O is the "end", basically saying that we want to search the entire O column. overall, the formula is basically saying "in the range of $O$2:$O, how many times do we find "Gnarlhorns" (excluding any text before or after)?"

if i'm understanding you correctly, you most certainly could! you could label dragons with multiple lineages and then have a formula that counts each lineage individually~ something like this, as far as labeling goes:
dN9VXdI.png

and similar to the gnarlhorns formula, have something like:
=COUNTIF(range, "*lineage x*") --> will count number of "x" occurrences
=COUNTIF(range, "*lineage y*") --> will count number of "y" occurrences
=COUNTIF(range, "*lineage z*") --> will count number of "z" occurrences
2P6JHiP.png
Oh, all right! That makes sense, then, thank you for that. :D And yes, that's exactly what I was thinking! Just to make sure I understand, if I added a Lineages column to my sheet, it would be column S at the moment so searching for that lineage would look like this: [code]=COUNTIF(Dragons!$S$2:$S,"*Barghest*")[/code] And I can just change out Barghest for each other lineage project I have.
Oh, all right! That makes sense, then, thank you for that. :D And yes, that's exactly what I was thinking! Just to make sure I understand, if I added a Lineages column to my sheet, it would be column S at the moment so searching for that lineage would look like this:
Code:
=COUNTIF(Dragons!$S$2:$S,"*Barghest*")

And I can just change out Barghest for each other lineage project I have.
@chorderaos
yes, that's correct! :D if you have shorter named lineages that also occur in other lineage names (like black and blackberry, as a totally random example, aha...
T wT"), then you might have to work around that so it doesn't count the shorter-named ones twice, but otherwise i imagine that would work great!!
@chorderaos
yes, that's correct! :D if you have shorter named lineages that also occur in other lineage names (like black and blackberry, as a totally random example, aha...
T wT"), then you might have to work around that so it doesn't count the shorter-named ones twice, but otherwise i imagine that would work great!!
2P6JHiP.png
Thank you so much for explaining this to me! I appreciate it greatly. :D Maybe after I've put all 435 of my dragons in, I will poke you again about how to consolidate all that information into the graph page. XD

Until then, thank you again for creating this sheet and updating it. ^^
Thank you so much for explaining this to me! I appreciate it greatly. :D Maybe after I've put all 435 of my dragons in, I will poke you again about how to consolidate all that information into the graph page. XD

Until then, thank you again for creating this sheet and updating it. ^^
@chorderaos
of course! >w<)b i'm happy to help, so please don't hesitate to get in touch anytime!! i bet it'll look incredible once it's all filled out!
i hope the sheet serves you well~! ♥
@chorderaos
of course! >w<)b i'm happy to help, so please don't hesitate to get in touch anytime!! i bet it'll look incredible once it's all filled out!
i hope the sheet serves you well~! ♥
2P6JHiP.png
ooh, would i also be able to add this lineage formula? i'd love to see family lines in my clan!
ooh, would i also be able to add this lineage formula? i'd love to see family lines in my clan!
my hatchery
dragon package rescue
writing shop
geneticats adopts:
breedable genetics-based rng adopts

||
||
||
||
||
||

my bio code thread