Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Featured Offspring
1 2 3 4 5 6
Support! I've brought a similar thing up in past threads and this mock up is EXACTLY what I was envisioning! I really want something like this, I have specific lore offspring to keep track of but I bred some of my permas so much when I started [emoji=coatl sad size=1]
Support! I've brought a similar thing up in past threads and this mock up is EXACTLY what I was envisioning! I really want something like this, I have specific lore offspring to keep track of but I bred some of my permas so much when I started
potato.png
Support! This is a really good compromise, and could be excellent for showcasing dragons that are actually important to the lore, while hiding names that might bother people or aren't aesthetically pleasing.

Also, as someone who's a coder - why in the world would something as simple as this cause lag? Literally all you'd have to do is tag the offspring with two different variables (featured vs. not) or even just a simple class tag in the <li> (offspring uses an unordered list, so every component of that list is "<li>bullet point</li>," so you literally can just tag it as <li class="featured"> or <li class="featured-none"> or whatever wording/terminology they want to go with). From there it's a simple toggle, which is extremely easy to do in JavaScript to collapse / expand information. This wouldn't cause lag. JavaScript is a type of coding that's easily able to change elements on the page.

If you were toggling on/off hundreds of images, maybe that would cause lag, mostly because of needing to load that many elements (especially if the toggle literally had you "turn on" 100+ images simultaneously - yeah I could see that giving some massive slowdown). But considering the fact that it's an HTML text-based output from the PHP information of the offspring list, I really don't think it'd cause lag to toggle some of it on and off.

Here's an example - you know the button that's right underneath the Customize / Feed / Breed options that is an arrow, and when you hover over it, it says "Collapse/Expand the dragon details section"? That's a toggle. Does that cause lag? No, it doesn't. And obviously, they have to retrieve the PHP database information for all of that content about your specific dragon, their genes, even things like length/wingspan/weight that are very specific to your dragon - and collapsing and expanding that information doesn't lag the page at all, does it?

I really don't see how something this simplistic in coding could cause lag, personally. It would actually be quite easy to do, to be honest! Anyways, support from me; I think this would be an absolutely stellar compromise to unhappy offspring lists!
Support! This is a really good compromise, and could be excellent for showcasing dragons that are actually important to the lore, while hiding names that might bother people or aren't aesthetically pleasing.

Also, as someone who's a coder - why in the world would something as simple as this cause lag? Literally all you'd have to do is tag the offspring with two different variables (featured vs. not) or even just a simple class tag in the <li> (offspring uses an unordered list, so every component of that list is "<li>bullet point</li>," so you literally can just tag it as <li class="featured"> or <li class="featured-none"> or whatever wording/terminology they want to go with). From there it's a simple toggle, which is extremely easy to do in JavaScript to collapse / expand information. This wouldn't cause lag. JavaScript is a type of coding that's easily able to change elements on the page.

If you were toggling on/off hundreds of images, maybe that would cause lag, mostly because of needing to load that many elements (especially if the toggle literally had you "turn on" 100+ images simultaneously - yeah I could see that giving some massive slowdown). But considering the fact that it's an HTML text-based output from the PHP information of the offspring list, I really don't think it'd cause lag to toggle some of it on and off.

Here's an example - you know the button that's right underneath the Customize / Feed / Breed options that is an arrow, and when you hover over it, it says "Collapse/Expand the dragon details section"? That's a toggle. Does that cause lag? No, it doesn't. And obviously, they have to retrieve the PHP database information for all of that content about your specific dragon, their genes, even things like length/wingspan/weight that are very specific to your dragon - and collapsing and expanding that information doesn't lag the page at all, does it?

I really don't see how something this simplistic in coding could cause lag, personally. It would actually be quite easy to do, to be honest! Anyways, support from me; I think this would be an absolutely stellar compromise to unhappy offspring lists!
2022_fr-signature.png
VAIXATION
(vikes-ZAY-shun)
THEY/THEM/THEIRS
2022_fr-signature-margin.png
2022_fr-profile-divider-4.png
ABOUT || ART || ACCENTS
2022_fr-profile-divider-1.png
2022_fr-signature-2.png
[quote name="Vaixation" date="2023-04-20 10:03:08" ] Also, as someone who's a coder - why in the world would something as simple as this cause lag? Literally all you'd have to do is tag the offspring with two different variables (featured vs. not) or even just a simple class tag in the <li> (offspring uses an unordered list, so every component of that list is "<li>bullet point</li>," so you literally can just tag it as <li class="featured"> or <li class="featured-none"> or whatever wording/terminology they want to go with). From there it's a simple toggle, which is extremely easy to do in JavaScript to collapse / expand information. This wouldn't cause lag. JavaScript is a type of coding that's easily able to change elements on the page. [/quote] [font=helvetica]This!! I'm almost annoyed at how many people simply accepted that this would be an issue based on the uninformed word of one user. Anyway: Enthusiastic support from me! Absolutely love this proposed compromise, including the UI concept pitched, which feels very intuitive to me. Presumably it would be off by default, i.e. unless/until users picked featured offspring on a dragon-by-dragon basis, so it also wouldn’t burden users not interested in such a feature.
Vaixation wrote on 2023-04-20 10:03:08:

This!!
I'm almost annoyed at how many people simply accepted that this would be an issue based on the uninformed word of one user.

Anyway: Enthusiastic support from me!
Absolutely love this proposed compromise, including the UI concept pitched, which feels very intuitive to me. Presumably it would be off by default, i.e. unless/until users picked featured offspring on a dragon-by-dragon basis, so it also wouldn’t burden users not interested in such a feature.
pixel art adopt of Snowdrop the veilspun, by Ambulocetus

she/her | FR +2
previously Tuberose
I could see that as a good compromise! I like it, support
I could see that as a good compromise! I like it, support
8ab3d3b2a13c364db89e13ba399ceced86ab48ef.pngtIYcLSC.png UzGmb10.png m0kyk3D.png Ask about DnD
Oh this is a GREAT idea. I love it instantly!! "Featured" offspring is such a nice way to put it too, imo. And I feel like it could go a long way toward negating the stigma around bred G1s, and Unnamed offspring. What a lovely idea. A big, hearty support from me! :D
Oh this is a GREAT idea. I love it instantly!! "Featured" offspring is such a nice way to put it too, imo. And I feel like it could go a long way toward negating the stigma around bred G1s, and Unnamed offspring. What a lovely idea. A big, hearty support from me! :D
51.png
support, as others in the thread have mentioned, this suggestion is the best compromise to the various versions of the hide offspring offspring suggestion, and I doubt it would cause much lag :)
support, as others in the thread have mentioned, this suggestion is the best compromise to the various versions of the hide offspring offspring suggestion, and I doubt it would cause much lag :)
77ec1a36661e11a40962b415b0b10b4babdc0c65.png
Ahhh heck yeah!! This is such an excellent way to do this. I haven't particularly cared about offspring lists in my years being here, but it's starting to matter to me, and while I have dragons I don't want to sell or exalt, them having a huge cluttered and poorly named offspring list makes it feel somewhat pointless to customize them nicely when no matter what I do the dragon will look cluttered in my eyes.
So anyways, yes, this is a great idea.
Ahhh heck yeah!! This is such an excellent way to do this. I haven't particularly cared about offspring lists in my years being here, but it's starting to matter to me, and while I have dragons I don't want to sell or exalt, them having a huge cluttered and poorly named offspring list makes it feel somewhat pointless to customize them nicely when no matter what I do the dragon will look cluttered in my eyes.
So anyways, yes, this is a great idea.
eP65k0J.png
Absolutely support!

I love breeding my dragons, but the long offspring lists do add lots of clutter and has led me to being a lot more choosy when doing so ^.^' Would love to showcase some of my more lore based relationships as well! ^D^
Absolutely support!

I love breeding my dragons, but the long offspring lists do add lots of clutter and has led me to being a lot more choosy when doing so ^.^' Would love to showcase some of my more lore based relationships as well! ^D^
AlYFj1w.png
rUoKR6y.png
bYt72YT.png
DisQoWb.png
sQngrHp.png
I'm glad to hear that something like this wouldn't necessarily cause lag! I don't really know much about that sort of thing, but I love the idea of featured offspring ♥
I'm glad to hear that something like this wouldn't necessarily cause lag! I don't really know much about that sort of thing, but I love the idea of featured offspring ♥
she/her | 37 | cst
I'm laughing at your unfortunate Debbie debacle, while crying a little inside remembering adopting or buying dragons that had the same thing in their progeny lists. It's as annoying as it is hilarious. I'd love this feature.
I'm laughing at your unfortunate Debbie debacle, while crying a little inside remembering adopting or buying dragons that had the same thing in their progeny lists. It's as annoying as it is hilarious. I'd love this feature.
DPrCB0j.gif___
The roots are growing.___

Life shall nest in the heart of death,___
And those who rest will bloom.___

___
1 2 3 4 5 6