Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [MJ23] Story Contest (Winners announced)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
[center][size=5][b]An Unexpected Opportunity-Prize at the Story Contest[/b][/size][/center] [columns][size=4]Judging for the Story Contest was fun, but a lot more work than Dewette had imagined. New stories were coming in every day and keeping them organized was a challenge, especially for a dragon as impulsive and spontaneous as Dewette. She had taken a quiet moment to pen a quick postcard to her younger daughter, Sera, and her sire, Rigby. Thoughts of them made her briefly nostalgic for her pirate days...[/size][nextcol][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/526322/52632137.png[/img][/columns] "Dear Rigby & Sera, I am zorry not to zee you bose at ze Meestrahl Jamboree zees year. Ze Story Contest ees very popular, yes? zo I am very bizee. But ze stories, zey are very interesting! Jus' today I read --" There was a crash in the tent behind her, where the story entries were kept in neat, organized piles...! Dewette abandoned her letter and rushed to the tent. In her periphery, she saw the other judges heading over from the registration table, but she was closest. Inside, there was chaos. The long table that previously held the story entries was tipped on its side and it looked like every slip of paper and parchment was floating about in the air! In the midst of it all was a sizeable, green, furry...what was it?? Whatever it was, it appeared to be happily batting at the airborne stories. It was quite comical really, Dewette thought, until she saw it snap at a page with its jaws -- "No! No, no, no! Geef me zat --" Dewette charged the creature and they rolled over and over until they bumped into the overturned table. Such was the tableaux when the other judges arrived at the entrance: Dewette and the unknown intruder were lying in a tangle on the ground with Dewette's claw inserted into the creature's mouth (along with a sheet of crumpled paper), amidst a flurry of settling pages and parchment. [columns] [size=4]Kilkenny found her voice first. "Dewette! Are you hurt??" "Um, no. No, I sink not." Dewette noticed the creature beneath her was not struggling, so she could afford a moment of drama. "...but ze story, you [i]muss[/i] safe ze story!"[/size][nextcol][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/556965/55696407.png[/img][/columns] [center][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/494017/49401618.png[/img][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/29836/2983584.png[/img][/center] The other two judges, Elliot and Zhan took control of the situation and, as Dewette carefully unwound herself from her adversary, Elliot took the creature in his immense claws while Zhan pried open its mouth and retrieved the crumpled (and slightly damp) page. They handed it to Kilkenny for inspection. Dewette wiped her own claw on her cloak. "Huh. Dewette, this is the Mistral Meals takeout menu..." The furry creature, whose wings looked not so much small as undeveloped, made a lunge at the story entries scattered on the ground, but Elliot had it well in hand. The creature licked its lips and attempted another unsuccessful lunge. "Could it be...hungry?" The question hung in the air, unanswered. [columns][size=4]"Well, feed eet ze menu, zen, but let us clean up ze stories an' put zem somewhere more save, no?" That was soon accomplished while Elliot kept his claws about the little prisoner, cautiously inserting torn bits off the menu whenever it opened its mouth, rather like feeding a baby bird.[/size][nextcol][item=tattered parchment][/columns] Curious, now that the entries to the contest were no longer in danger, the judges huddled about their captive. "If you ask me, it's acting like a hatchling. A hungry hatchling!" "But dragon? or Beastclan? I've never seen the like!" "Whichever, eet cannot stay 'ere! No, no, no!" "Okay then, chaps! What shall we do with it?" [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/84861769][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=0&body=31&bodygene=148&breed=22&element=3&eyetype=1&gender=0&tert=30&tertgene=143&winggene=164&wings=40&auth=b8055b7df96da67939607977000038eca5fa0aac&dummyext=prev.png[/img][/url][/center] [center][size=5][b]It looks like this little critter needs a home![/b][/size][/center] [size=5]The Story Contest Judges will be putting him up for adoption at the end of the Mistral Jamboree (via RNG)! All Story Contestants will be automatically entered for this little bad boi! There's still plenty of time to write your stories and get them entered before rollover on Saturday![/size] [center][size=4][i](Note: He is NOT an eternal hatchling. Check his bio to see his adult form.)[/i][/size][/center] [size=2]@NewmoonWasTaken @Hollowcene @ghostStrawberry @BlackRayser @Starefaba @TETRAHEDR0N @imginate @teddy2008 @NotAtAllNight @windymountaintop @BunnySox @LouckyKoneko @hannahbbug3 @FinalFlight @sockmonkeygerald @Nixus @Zuori @WanderingTurtle[/size]
An Unexpected Opportunity-Prize at the Story Contest

Judging for the Story Contest was fun, but a lot more work than Dewette had imagined. New stories were coming in every day and keeping them organized was a challenge, especially for a dragon as impulsive and spontaneous as Dewette. She had taken a quiet moment to pen a quick postcard to her younger daughter, Sera, and her sire, Rigby. Thoughts of them made her briefly nostalgic for her pirate days... 52632137.png

"Dear Rigby & Sera,

I am zorry not to zee you bose at ze Meestrahl Jamboree zees year. Ze Story Contest ees very popular, yes? zo I am very bizee. But ze stories, zey are very interesting! Jus' today I read --"

There was a crash in the tent behind her, where the story entries were kept in neat, organized piles...! Dewette abandoned her letter and rushed to the tent. In her periphery, she saw the other judges heading over from the registration table, but she was closest.

Inside, there was chaos. The long table that previously held the story entries was tipped on its side and it looked like every slip of paper and parchment was floating about in the air! In the midst of it all was a sizeable, green, furry...what was it?? Whatever it was, it appeared to be happily batting at the airborne stories. It was quite comical really, Dewette thought, until she saw it snap at a page with its jaws --

"No! No, no, no! Geef me zat --" Dewette charged the creature and they rolled over and over until they bumped into the overturned table.

Such was the tableaux when the other judges arrived at the entrance: Dewette and the unknown intruder were lying in a tangle on the ground with Dewette's claw inserted into the creature's mouth (along with a sheet of crumpled paper), amidst a flurry of settling pages and parchment.

Kilkenny found her voice first. "Dewette! Are you hurt??"

"Um, no. No, I sink not." Dewette noticed the creature beneath her was not struggling, so she could afford a moment of drama. "...but ze story, you muss safe ze story!"
55696407.png
49401618.png2983584.png

The other two judges, Elliot and Zhan took control of the situation and, as Dewette carefully unwound herself from her adversary, Elliot took the creature in his immense claws while Zhan pried open its mouth and retrieved the crumpled (and slightly damp) page. They handed it to Kilkenny for inspection. Dewette wiped her own claw on her cloak.

"Huh. Dewette, this is the Mistral Meals takeout menu..."

The furry creature, whose wings looked not so much small as undeveloped, made a lunge at the story entries scattered on the ground, but Elliot had it well in hand. The creature licked its lips and attempted another unsuccessful lunge.

"Could it be...hungry?" The question hung in the air, unanswered.
"Well, feed eet ze menu, zen, but let us clean up ze stories an' put zem somewhere more save, no?"

That was soon accomplished while Elliot kept his claws about the little prisoner, cautiously inserting torn bits off the menu whenever it opened its mouth, rather like feeding a baby bird.
Tattered Parchment
Curious, now that the entries to the contest were no longer in danger, the judges huddled about their captive.

"If you ask me, it's acting like a hatchling. A hungry hatchling!"

"But dragon? or Beastclan? I've never seen the like!"

"Whichever, eet cannot stay 'ere! No, no, no!"

"Okay then, chaps! What shall we do with it?"
dragon?age=0&body=31&bodygene=148&breed=22&element=3&eyetype=1&gender=0&tert=30&tertgene=143&winggene=164&wings=40&auth=b8055b7df96da67939607977000038eca5fa0aac&dummyext=prev.png
It looks like this little critter needs a home!

The Story Contest Judges will be putting him up for adoption at the end of the Mistral Jamboree (via RNG)! All Story Contestants will be automatically entered for this little bad boi! There's still plenty of time to write your stories and get them entered before rollover on Saturday!

(Note: He is NOT an eternal hatchling. Check his bio to see his adult form.)

@NewmoonWasTaken @Hollowcene @ghostStrawberry @BlackRayser @Starefaba @TETRAHEDR0N @imginate @teddy2008 @NotAtAllNight @windymountaintop @BunnySox @LouckyKoneko @hannahbbug3 @FinalFlight

@sockmonkeygerald @Nixus @Zuori @WanderingTurtle

UTakosS.pngY5AUp2a.gif qzV0stX.png

Host: @WanderingTurtle Judges: @Storygeek @sockmonkeygerald @Nixus @Zuori
Author: teddy2008
ID Number: 72882
Category: A Token of My Esteem
Entry: The Weakest Link

Author: teddy2008
ID Number: 72882
Entry: The Weakest Link
The_Aether_Orchard
Author: AloVra
ID Number: 502769
Category: Many Hands
Entry: Unscientific Method

I love the aethers, so I knew I had to write something for them, this was good motivation. I've had a busy week, but I will try to get at least one more entry done (I usually do 3, but I don't think that's in the cards this time.) Looking forward to reading the rest.
Category: Many Hands
Entry: Unscientific Method

I love the aethers, so I knew I had to write something for them, this was good motivation. I've had a busy week, but I will try to get at least one more entry done (I usually do 3, but I don't think that's in the cards this time.) Looking forward to reading the rest.
UiEAFzH.png She/her

+2 FR Time

Cryptid Collection
_B12_L.pngo203-d01-Alo-Vra.pngo203-d02-Alo-Vra.pngo203-d03-Alo-Vra.pngo203-d04-Alo-Vra.pngo203-d05-Alo-Vra.pngo237-d01-Alo-Vra.pngo237-d02-Alo-Vra.pngo237-d03-Alo-Vra.pngo237-d04-Alo-Vra.pngo237-d05-Alo-Vra.png
@AloVra I don't know if we're allowed to discuss the stories here, and I can delete this if not, but. Yours is the only other one I've read so far and I laughed out loud a few times. Also it's very sweet. [emoji=aether laughing size=1]
@AloVra
I don't know if we're allowed to discuss the stories here, and I can delete this if not, but. Yours is the only other one I've read so far and I laughed out loud a few times. Also it's very sweet.
The_Aether_Orchard
Entries updated to here.

---

@AloVra

As soon as the aethers came out I wondered how many entries we'd get that include them, especially with such fun canon lore!

@teddy2008

No worries about commenting on others' entries, folks are welcome to do that! I'm just refraining from it since I don't want to appear like I'm showing partiality as host. ^_^;
Entries updated to here.

---

@AloVra

As soon as the aethers came out I wondered how many entries we'd get that include them, especially with such fun canon lore!

@teddy2008

No worries about commenting on others' entries, folks are welcome to do that! I'm just refraining from it since I don't want to appear like I'm showing partiality as host. ^_^;
A colorful chibi Mirror dragon. Image links to the dragon itself.colorful chaos
Author: MeowyJr
ID Number: 604192
Entry: The Color of Glass

Category: 100 word challenge
Entry: Thanks
Author: MeowyJr
ID Number: 604192
Entry: The Color of Glass

Category: 100 word challenge
Entry: Thanks
52249888457_5a6794a42c.jpg
[b]Host:[/b] @WanderingTurtle [b]Judges:[/b] @Storygeek @sockmonkeygerald @Nixus @Zuori [b]Author:[/b] AloVra [b]ID Number:[/b] 502769 [b]Category:[/b] Windy Words- Tradition [b]Entry:[/b] [url=https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iezw4B4M7pvhhWjZ95Fq6Hzo4dGz0Ku3cImVh-uWlwg/edit?usp=sharing]Bound[/url] @teddy2008 thank you! I really liked your story too. It fulfilled the prompt in an interesting way, and I got a sense of all the crew members personalities and why the decision was so hard to make. I really didn't want Crawdad to get fired one day from retirement [emoji=snapper sad size=1] @TETRAHEDRON I liked your story Shaping New Perspectives, I want Nettle to live their best life and get away from their mom. As a Mirror lover, Independent seems pretty cool [emoji=mirror happy size=1] I clicked on the link to look at her and I kind of laughed when I saw the first piece of art in the bio because yeah, she really does love tetrahedrons
Category: Windy Words- Tradition
Entry: Bound

@teddy2008 thank you! I really liked your story too. It fulfilled the prompt in an interesting way, and I got a sense of all the crew members personalities and why the decision was so hard to make. I really didn't want Crawdad to get fired one day from retirement

@TETRAHEDRON I liked your story Shaping New Perspectives, I want Nettle to live their best life and get away from their mom. As a Mirror lover, Independent seems pretty cool I clicked on the link to look at her and I kind of laughed when I saw the first piece of art in the bio because yeah, she really does love tetrahedrons
UiEAFzH.png She/her

+2 FR Time

Cryptid Collection
_B12_L.pngo203-d01-Alo-Vra.pngo203-d02-Alo-Vra.pngo203-d03-Alo-Vra.pngo203-d04-Alo-Vra.pngo203-d05-Alo-Vra.pngo237-d01-Alo-Vra.pngo237-d02-Alo-Vra.pngo237-d03-Alo-Vra.pngo237-d04-Alo-Vra.pngo237-d05-Alo-Vra.png
[size=2]Volunteer Judges: @Storygeek @sockmonkeygerald @Nixus @Zuori Participants: @NewmoonWasTaken @Hollowcene @ghostStrawberry @BlackRayser @Starefaba @TETRAHEDR0N @imginate @teddy2008 @NotAtAllNight @windymountaintop @AloVra @MeowyJr General Pinglist: @BunnySox @LouckyKoneko @hannahbbug3 @FinalFlight @Islet (apologies if you didn't want to be pinged)[/size] [center][size=4][b]The submission deadline has been extended to 12:00 FRT (noon) on April 3rd.[/b][/size] [size=4][i](A little over 46 hours from now.)[/i][/size] [u]This ping will also serve as the last reminder ping about the deadline, instead of a last day ping.[/u][/center] Because of the unexpected site downtime and resulting extension of the festival, I've extended the deadline for the Story Contest and picked a time when I'm likely to be online to make a closing announcement post. Remember amid all your gravel trades today that there's not much time left to get your stories in, so if anyone's still polishing up entries or planning to speedrun new ones, better get to it soon! There are relatively few entries overall so far, so odds are still good at winning a prize. Anyone who submits even one story is also automatically entered to [s]take this paper-eating bug off our hands[/s] win this Windsong subspecies aether! [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/84861769][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/848618/84861769.png[/img][/url] [size=2]Read its intro [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/3218722/6#post_53811069]here[/url]. (Winning the dragon doesn't disqualify a person from winning a main prize.)[/size][/center]
Volunteer Judges: @Storygeek @sockmonkeygerald @Nixus @Zuori

Participants: @NewmoonWasTaken @Hollowcene @ghostStrawberry @BlackRayser @Starefaba @TETRAHEDR0N @imginate @teddy2008 @NotAtAllNight @windymountaintop @AloVra @MeowyJr

General Pinglist: @BunnySox @LouckyKoneko @hannahbbug3 @FinalFlight

@Islet (apologies if you didn't want to be pinged)

The submission deadline has been extended to 12:00 FRT (noon) on April 3rd.
(A little over 46 hours from now.)

This ping will also serve as the last reminder ping about the deadline, instead of a last day ping.

Because of the unexpected site downtime and resulting extension of the festival, I've extended the deadline for the Story Contest and picked a time when I'm likely to be online to make a closing announcement post.

Remember amid all your gravel trades today that there's not much time left to get your stories in, so if anyone's still polishing up entries or planning to speedrun new ones, better get to it soon! There are relatively few entries overall so far, so odds are still good at winning a prize. Anyone who submits even one story is also automatically entered to take this paper-eating bug off our hands win this Windsong subspecies aether!

84861769.png

Read its intro here.
(Winning the dragon doesn't disqualify a person from winning a main prize.)
[center][img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1055883577532874822/1088921253626261604/mj23_story_roc_plus_derg_plus_harpy.png[/img] [i]The harpy and dragon hosts chat between themselves as they take a moment to relax by the roc, who's still sitting magnificently over the egg that probably wasn't originally hers. The crown remains firmly atop her head, as well.[/i]
mj23_story_roc_plus_derg_plus_harpy.png
The harpy and dragon hosts chat between themselves as they take a moment to relax by the roc, who's still sitting magnificently over the egg that probably wasn't originally hers. The crown remains firmly atop her head, as well.
@WanderingTurtle

Just confirming that 12:00 FRT is NOON...? I am not doubting your usual efficiency, but my coffee-addled brain could use some confirmation.

In other news...Dewette was last seen heading to Singer's Brook with a sizeable stack of paper, in search of a perfect reading spot!
@WanderingTurtle

Just confirming that 12:00 FRT is NOON...? I am not doubting your usual efficiency, but my coffee-addled brain could use some confirmation.

In other news...Dewette was last seen heading to Singer's Brook with a sizeable stack of paper, in search of a perfect reading spot!
UTakosS.pngY5AUp2a.gif qzV0stX.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9