Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [MJ23] Mistral Meals - Closed
1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 24 25
[columns][center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/80422720][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/804228/80422720_350.png[/img][/url][/center][nextcol] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/80523207][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/659877/65987697.png[/img][/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/31725743][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/317258/31725743.png[/img][/url][/columns] Cressida smiled pridefully as She was announced the winner. Fei and Khern came to pat her head cheerfully. Cressida smiled at them sheepishly as they congratulated her. "Thanks you two. Now I have to focus on the next challenge. Thank you for being here to support me. I saw a bunch of others working with several dragons, so please help me some more today, okay? " They smiled and nodded, reassuring her they would be there. She went to her previous workspace as she wanted to be at a familiar space. Her eyes widened at the ingredients and put her hand to her snout. She was deep in thought about what to do with them. 'I've had too much meat to work with yesterday. I think I could use the other three somehow, but I will need too be careful about how I cook these...' She was struck by an idea and grabbed everything she needed. She took a huge amount of [gamedb item=13404], A couple of sprigs of [gamedb item=13408] and a couple of [gamedb item=31208] [quote][center][item=Madame Snapdragon][item=Plaguebringer's Delight][item=Crystalplate Wasp][/center][/quote] She put them on the counter and then went to the Pantry. She got some [gamedb item=45], [gamedb item=1022], [gamedb item=153], [gamedb item=21550], some [gamedb item=14443] eggs and a bunch of spices, onions, garlic, carrots, cream and the other things she needed. She immediately told the two helpers her plan and had them remove the stingers and help grind down the wasps and grains into a flour. While they were working on that she prepared and chopped the sprigs down and worked them with a mortar and pestle. She then prepared the Anole and Reefprince into tiny chunks of meat grinding them down as small as she could. She spiced and then cooked them slightly to give them a nice sear and put them in separate bowls. Once the helpers were done with the flour she quickly started making some homemade pasta dough with the flour and eggs. The two helped with kneeding and rolling out the dough. She gave them a cookie cutter square for them to cut out of the thinly cut dough. While they were doing that she sat out to prepare the lobsters and had them boil for a bit before taking them out to separate the tail from the body. She then prepared the shell for use in a stock, removing all the undesirables and sauted the vegetables and then added everything else she needed for the stock and brought it to a boil, before turning it down to a simmer. She then butterflied the tails by cutting down the center and loosened the meat, pulling it up slightly. She seasoned them with some garlic, herbs and melted butter. She put it to chill a bit as she went to work on the pasta, that the other two were done cutting. She alternated between the two different meats while adding a bit of ground snapdragon and making them into tortellini shapes. Fei was checking on the lobster stock, While Khern preheated the oven. Cressida was already getting exhausted, but she steeled herself, remembering how much work her two friends put into her wasp flour idea and finished up until she ran out of ingredients. She asked Fei to taste the broth and Fei gave her a couple spice recommendations that Cressida followed. She then sieved the liquid through so it would catch any pieces. she put them to the side and then used the stock to cook the tortellini in. Khern brought her the tails from the chilling and put them in the oven. When the tortellini were cooked she took them out into a bowl to be plated, which Fei started on. Cressida then used the last of the flour, some butter and cream to reduce the stock into a creamy sauce and added juice from the prickler for an added kick. As soon as the tails were done she took them out of the oven and plated them on top of the tortellini as aesthetically as she could. She then took the sauce she made and poured some over it and some in a cup in case they would need more sauce. She strategically placed couple of blossoms of the snapdragon to make it more vibrant. They all stepped back to look at the dish. Cressida smiled, nodded and took it to the judges while the other two cheered her on. Fei looked at Khern. "I may have sneaked a couple of the tortellini. They are delicious." She smiled and found a nice comfy spot to wait for Cressida to return.
80422720_350.png
65987697.png
31725743.png

Cressida smiled pridefully as She was announced the winner. Fei and Khern came to pat her head cheerfully. Cressida smiled at them sheepishly as they congratulated her. "Thanks you two. Now I have to focus on the next challenge. Thank you for being here to support me. I saw a bunch of others working with several dragons, so please help me some more today, okay? " They smiled and nodded, reassuring her they would be there. She went to her previous workspace as she wanted to be at a familiar space.

Her eyes widened at the ingredients and put her hand to her snout. She was deep in thought about what to do with them. 'I've had too much meat to work with yesterday. I think I could use the other three somehow, but I will need too be careful about how I cook these...' She was struck by an idea and grabbed everything she needed. She took a huge amount of Crystalplate Wasp, A couple of sprigs of Madame Snapdragon and a couple of Plaguebringer's Delight
Quote:
Madame Snapdragon Plaguebringer's Delight Crystalplate Wasp

She put them on the counter and then went to the Pantry. She got some Ashfall Prickler, Golden Reefprince, Swimming Anole, Grassland Grain, some Coral Grouse eggs and a bunch of spices, onions, garlic, carrots, cream and the other things she needed.

She immediately told the two helpers her plan and had them remove the stingers and help grind down the wasps and grains into a flour.

While they were working on that she prepared and chopped the sprigs down and worked them with a mortar and pestle. She then prepared the Anole and Reefprince into tiny chunks of meat grinding them down as small as she could. She spiced and then cooked them slightly to give them a nice sear and put them in separate bowls.

Once the helpers were done with the flour she quickly started making some homemade pasta dough with the flour and eggs. The two helped with kneeding and rolling out the dough. She gave them a cookie cutter square for them to cut out of the thinly cut dough.

While they were doing that she sat out to prepare the lobsters and had them boil for a bit before taking them out to separate the tail from the body. She then prepared the shell for use in a stock, removing all the undesirables and sauted the vegetables and then added everything else she needed for the stock and brought it to a boil, before turning it down to a simmer.

She then butterflied the tails by cutting down the center and loosened the meat, pulling it up slightly. She seasoned them with some garlic, herbs and melted butter.
She put it to chill a bit as she went to work on the pasta, that the other two were done cutting. She alternated between the two different meats while adding a bit of ground snapdragon and making them into tortellini shapes. Fei was checking on the lobster stock, While Khern preheated the oven.

Cressida was already getting exhausted, but she steeled herself, remembering how much work her two friends put into her wasp flour idea and finished up until she ran out of ingredients. She asked Fei to taste the broth and Fei gave her a couple spice recommendations that Cressida followed. She then sieved the liquid through so it would catch any pieces. she put them to the side and then used the stock to cook the tortellini in. Khern brought her the tails from the chilling and put them in the oven.

When the tortellini were cooked she took them out into a bowl to be plated, which Fei started on.

Cressida then used the last of the flour, some butter and cream to reduce the stock into a creamy sauce and added juice from the prickler for an added kick.

As soon as the tails were done she took them out of the oven and plated them on top of the tortellini as aesthetically as she could. She then took the sauce she made and poured some over it and some in a cup in case they would need more sauce. She strategically placed couple of blossoms of the snapdragon to make it more vibrant.

They all stepped back to look at the dish.

Cressida smiled, nodded and took it to the judges while the other two cheered her on.

Fei looked at Khern. "I may have sneaked a couple of the tortellini. They are delicious." She smiled and found a nice comfy spot to wait for Cressida to return.
14571711.png : The friendly Courier nods at you and smiles as he passesgU2ykYl.png
[quote]Some of your dragons may be doing a cooking competition, but what about something a bit more physical? Do they step into the ring to try and do some sparring, or just watch the spectacle from the side? You are not limited to the three options I mention above, and can come up with any sort of play-fighting activity. [/quote] [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/84920517][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/849206/84920517_350.png[/img][/url][/center] Snickerdoodle's going to watch from the sidelines as much as he can, knowing that watching [i]this [/i]kind of fighting is allowed by his chaperones. The sight of all the elaborate fighting techniques almost makes him want to be a strong warrior as well, and in the small breaks between each bout he puffs himself up and waddles about on his tiny legs, occasionally trying out some of the moves he'd seen employed in the previous match. Sure, his small stature doesn't allow him to perfectly copy every single one of the maneuvers, but he's trying his best!
Quote:
Some of your dragons may be doing a cooking competition, but what about something a bit more physical? Do they step into the ring to try and do some sparring, or just watch the spectacle from the side?

You are not limited to the three options I mention above, and can come up with any sort of play-fighting activity.
84920517_350.png

Snickerdoodle's going to watch from the sidelines as much as he can, knowing that watching this kind of fighting is allowed by his chaperones. The sight of all the elaborate fighting techniques almost makes him want to be a strong warrior as well, and in the small breaks between each bout he puffs himself up and waddles about on his tiny legs, occasionally trying out some of the moves he'd seen employed in the previous match. Sure, his small stature doesn't allow him to perfectly copy every single one of the maneuvers, but he's trying his best!
6bbcbe9acf989176baa27b08e3311178ac4b7a7c.gif
[quote=Day 4]Some of your dragons may be doing a cooking competition, but what about something a bit more physical? Do they step into the ring to try and do some sparring, or just watch the spectacle from the side? You are not limited to the three options I mention above, and can come up with any sort of play-fighting activity.[/quote] Although Erebus is the most physically imposing of the trio, being the largest, and Athena has the most concentrated muscle-mass, neither of them are active fighters. At best, they have basic self-defense knowledge in case of an emergency, something that is required for all adults in the clan. However, Ouranos is actually the clan's strongest fighter and trains most of the clan, regularly taking trips to the coliseum. He is always eager to learn more because he wants to be the best protector he can be and believes that it can only be achieved by continually getting stronger. It is only a matter of time before he challenges the most difficult opponent in the sparring arena. Did he win? That doesn't matter to him. What matters to him is that he learned.
Day 4 wrote:
Some of your dragons may be doing a cooking competition, but what about something a bit more physical? Do they step into the ring to try and do some sparring, or just watch the spectacle from the side?

You are not limited to the three options I mention above, and can come up with any sort of play-fighting activity.

Although Erebus is the most physically imposing of the trio, being the largest, and Athena has the most concentrated muscle-mass, neither of them are active fighters. At best, they have basic self-defense knowledge in case of an emergency, something that is required for all adults in the clan.

However, Ouranos is actually the clan's strongest fighter and trains most of the clan, regularly taking trips to the coliseum. He is always eager to learn more because he wants to be the best protector he can be and believes that it can only be achieved by continually getting stronger. It is only a matter of time before he challenges the most difficult opponent in the sparring arena. Did he win? That doesn't matter to him. What matters to him is that he learned.
mvO7hvU.png 5kRkxhJ.png
5hF3FGk.png
kCHWEjf.png
Just returned from Hiatus!
Let me know if you're missing something from me and please be patient while I adjust to the game again!
Losing in the first round might've been a mercy, considering [i]these[/i] ingredients. Still, Team Doubles wanted to do an attempt an an unofficial entry. They argued a little over which ingredients to use, but decided against the lobster. The all-Aberration team could handle it, of course, but they just didn't like lobster very much. Skidatel took the wasps - and a few shellbugs - and, after destinging them, began to grind them up to make a flour for an insect-flour pasta. Meanwhile, Yuch began to make a milk-based, creamy sauce with some diseased mushrooms (and a few polypore mushrooms he'd had to trim off himself anyways) and Angmar began preparing some bacon bits and soaking most of the beaks in an acidic, tomatoy marinade to soften them a little. He cracked the remaining beaks open to extract the meat to be glazed with some honey, salted, and smoked a little to go in the sauce. Skidatel made the pasta into a few fun shapes, then went and de-leafed and chopped the madame snapdragon, draining most of the toxic sap out. (Other routes she'd seen used included fermenting it, pressure-cooking it, and just plain including the antidote in the dish.) Yuch handled smoking the beak bacon bits - not using the unexpectedly strong cinnamon this time - while Angmar went and got some more insects from the pantry, along with some wild onion, some cheese, and some seasonings. After a moment's thought, he also got the ingredients for a sweet herbal plantain drink in case the wild onions were stronger than expected. These insects, onion, and cheese were prepped and chopped small, then fried with the snapdragon and beaks while Skidatel boiled the pasta in salted water. Yuch mixed the marinade in with the sauce, then poured the ensuring bacon-mushroom-tomato-creamy mixture in with the fried ingredients to heat before Skidatel drained the pasta and poured it in. The drink that the Aberrations also made consisted of blended herbal plantain leaves, more milk, violet flowers, and a bit of blended coneflower cotton candy where the sugar had been mixed with some of the milk and heated (with Yuch's fire magic) to form a caramel. Then they took it over to present it to some of the other omnivorous dragons in the clan. [quote=Daily activity] Some of your dragons may be doing a cooking competition, but what about something a bit more physical? Do they step into the ring to try and do some sparring, or just watch the spectacle from the side? You are not limited to the three options I mention above, and can come up with any sort of play-fighting activity.[/quote] One of these omnivorous dragons was Acrux, one of the clan's skilled mages, who had been in a team sparring alongside Alyx the skydancer against some elite harpy warriors - including some with magic themselves. It had been a close battle, and they were glad for the drinks and the pasta. Karnak was annoying another dragon in a sparring round with clever use of Reflect spells and applying Haste and Rally [i]to his opponent[/i] to screw up their muscle memory and trick them into hitting themself, while Florian was engaged in a battle of magic and Emelia was getting patched up in the medic's tent after narrowly losing a battle against an elite harpy that resulted in an unintentionally high-speed crash into the ground. Tryfan had switched out his magic-controlled braces for a wheelchair and had joined in some kind of mixed-species aggressive sparring-and-sportsball game of some sort, while his mate Casban cheered him on from the sidelines with a thermos of home-made iced mixed-berry-and-chocolate drink. Some of the clan's less experienced warriors were sparring too, or playing paintball and other such sparring-adjacent games.
Losing in the first round might've been a mercy, considering these ingredients.

Still, Team Doubles wanted to do an attempt an an unofficial entry.

They argued a little over which ingredients to use, but decided against the lobster. The all-Aberration team could handle it, of course, but they just didn't like lobster very much.

Skidatel took the wasps - and a few shellbugs - and, after destinging them, began to grind them up to make a flour for an insect-flour pasta. Meanwhile, Yuch began to make a milk-based, creamy sauce with some diseased mushrooms (and a few polypore mushrooms he'd had to trim off himself anyways) and Angmar began preparing some bacon bits and soaking most of the beaks in an acidic, tomatoy marinade to soften them a little.
He cracked the remaining beaks open to extract the meat to be glazed with some honey, salted, and smoked a little to go in the sauce.

Skidatel made the pasta into a few fun shapes, then went and de-leafed and chopped the madame snapdragon, draining most of the toxic sap out. (Other routes she'd seen used included fermenting it, pressure-cooking it, and just plain including the antidote in the dish.)

Yuch handled smoking the beak bacon bits - not using the unexpectedly strong cinnamon this time - while Angmar went and got some more insects from the pantry, along with some wild onion, some cheese, and some seasonings.
After a moment's thought, he also got the ingredients for a sweet herbal plantain drink in case the wild onions were stronger than expected.

These insects, onion, and cheese were prepped and chopped small, then fried with the snapdragon and beaks while Skidatel boiled the pasta in salted water. Yuch mixed the marinade in with the sauce, then poured the ensuring bacon-mushroom-tomato-creamy mixture in with the fried ingredients to heat before Skidatel drained the pasta and poured it in.

The drink that the Aberrations also made consisted of blended herbal plantain leaves, more milk, violet flowers, and a bit of blended coneflower cotton candy where the sugar had been mixed with some of the milk and heated (with Yuch's fire magic) to form a caramel.

Then they took it over to present it to some of the other omnivorous dragons in the clan.
Daily activity wrote:

One of these omnivorous dragons was Acrux, one of the clan's skilled mages, who had been in a team sparring alongside Alyx the skydancer against some elite harpy warriors - including some with magic themselves.

It had been a close battle, and they were glad for the drinks and the pasta.

Karnak was annoying another dragon in a sparring round with clever use of Reflect spells and applying Haste and Rally to his opponent to screw up their muscle memory and trick them into hitting themself, while Florian was engaged in a battle of magic and Emelia was getting patched up in the medic's tent after narrowly losing a battle against an elite harpy that resulted in an unintentionally high-speed crash into the ground.

Tryfan had switched out his magic-controlled braces for a wheelchair and had joined in some kind of mixed-species aggressive sparring-and-sportsball game of some sort, while his mate Casban cheered him on from the sidelines with a thermos of home-made iced mixed-berry-and-chocolate drink.

Some of the clan's less experienced warriors were sparring too, or playing paintball and other such sparring-adjacent games.

[center] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/75197799][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/751978/75197799_350.png[/img][/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/83169122][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/831692/83169122.png[/img][/url] [size=6][b]Round 2[/b][/size] [/center] Abyss and her “little” self proclaimed “bodyguard” arrived at the Mistral Meals tent barely on time. Apparently Abyss can only show up at the last possible minute, but to be fair, today it wasn’t her fault. Trying to get the Abby baby from point A to B without taking about a million detours was impossible. In fact, Abyss was just happy they had made it eventually. “THIS IS WHERE THE FOOD COMES FROM?” Rayya squeals in excitement, and before Abyss could even do anything, she ran to the ingredients counter and snatched a Jagged Beak to munch on. At least Rayya didn’t take from any of the other contestant’s tables. As Abyss grabbed her portions of the ingredients (while keeping an eye on the Abby), she asked herself why she had agreed to watch over the child again. It’s not that she didn’t love Rayya, but Rayya definitely required 110% attention and that didn’t really fit into the babysitting-while-cooking-for-a-competition, which she was about to do. Since Rayya was preoccupied with trying to crack open the Jagged Beak, Abyss took the opportunity to start cooking. She started with seeping the [b]Madame Snapdragon[/b] petals in some hot water, letting the flavours soak in with the hope that the water would taste of the snapdragon but without the indigestion side effects. As they soaked, she cracked open the [b]Plaguebringer’s Delight[/b]. Removing as much of the juicy meat and cleaning it as thoroughly as possible before cutting it into bite-sized pieces. She strained the petals out of the pot and put the lobster pieces into the pot to boil and cook. Abyss remembered that she had read somewhere that as long as something was cooked, it couldn’t hold disease. She kept her talons crossed that this was true. While she waited for the lobster to cook, she put in the dried and destingered [b]Crystalplate Wasps[/b] into the grinder. Right as she turned it on, she saw something else fall in but it was too late to stop the machine. “AUNTIE THE SHELL WAS SO HARD BUT I ATE THE YUMMY MEAT”, Rayya grinned, satisfied from her snack. Rayya looked down at the grinding machine she had thrown her shell bits into, “Auntie... why is the garbage can making so much noise?” Abyss sighs, but puts on a smile for the child, “It’s a special garbage can, it makes anything put into it super small.” The grinder stops whirring, having finished making both the Wasps and the [b]Jagged Beak[/b] shell bits into a fine powder. “Do you want to help me with the last bit of my cooking, Rayya?” Abyss askes the little Abby. “YES AUNTIE I CAN DO ANYTHING!” She excitedly replies. Abyss plates the boiled lobster and helps Rayya sprinkle the “spices” over it before handing it in to the judges.
75197799_350.png
83169122.png

Round 2

Abyss and her “little” self proclaimed “bodyguard” arrived at the Mistral Meals tent barely on time. Apparently Abyss can only show up at the last possible minute, but to be fair, today it wasn’t her fault. Trying to get the Abby baby from point A to B without taking about a million detours was impossible. In fact, Abyss was just happy they had made it eventually.

“THIS IS WHERE THE FOOD COMES FROM?” Rayya squeals in excitement, and before Abyss could even do anything, she ran to the ingredients counter and snatched a Jagged Beak to munch on. At least Rayya didn’t take from any of the other contestant’s tables.

As Abyss grabbed her portions of the ingredients (while keeping an eye on the Abby), she asked herself why she had agreed to watch over the child again. It’s not that she didn’t love Rayya, but Rayya definitely required 110% attention and that didn’t really fit into the babysitting-while-cooking-for-a-competition, which she was about to do.

Since Rayya was preoccupied with trying to crack open the Jagged Beak, Abyss took the opportunity to start cooking.

She started with seeping the Madame Snapdragon petals in some hot water, letting the flavours soak in with the hope that the water would taste of the snapdragon but without the indigestion side effects. As they soaked, she cracked open the Plaguebringer’s Delight. Removing as much of the juicy meat and cleaning it as thoroughly as possible before cutting it into bite-sized pieces. She strained the petals out of the pot and put the lobster pieces into the pot to boil and cook. Abyss remembered that she had read somewhere that as long as something was cooked, it couldn’t hold disease. She kept her talons crossed that this was true.

While she waited for the lobster to cook, she put in the dried and destingered Crystalplate Wasps into the grinder. Right as she turned it on, she saw something else fall in but it was too late to stop the machine.

“AUNTIE THE SHELL WAS SO HARD BUT I ATE THE YUMMY MEAT”, Rayya grinned, satisfied from her snack.

Rayya looked down at the grinding machine she had thrown her shell bits into, “Auntie... why is the garbage can making so much noise?”

Abyss sighs, but puts on a smile for the child, “It’s a special garbage can, it makes anything put into it super small.”

The grinder stops whirring, having finished making both the Wasps and the Jagged Beak shell bits into a fine powder.

“Do you want to help me with the last bit of my cooking, Rayya?” Abyss askes the little Abby.

“YES AUNTIE I CAN DO ANYTHING!” She excitedly replies.

Abyss plates the boiled lobster and helps Rayya sprinkle the “spices” over it before handing it in to the judges.
KBQZyFR.pngiCquEWh.pngDKhOfI1.png
[center][quote=Round 2]Congratulations, you’ve impressed the harpy members of the judging panel with their favorite type of food. Now let's show them the fullest extent of your culinary capabilities by working with some less than ideal ingredients. Use at least THREE of the following ingredients in your entry: [item=Madame Snapdragon][item=Crystalplate Wasp][item=Jagged Beak][item=Plaguebringer's Delight] Madame Snapdragon / Crystalplate Wasp / Jagged Beak / Plaguebringer’s Delight [/quote] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/3218251/3#post_53750637][i]list of Clan Aquaurora competitors[/i][/url] [b]Yesterday[/b][/center] Quartz and her motley crew watched the revealing of the ingredients, feeling just as dismayed as most of the other competitors when the ingredients turned out to be...less than edible. Still, they did have two days. She quickly took charge. "Charcuterie, Pancetta; this one's for you." She indicated the Plaguebringer's Delight with a claw. "I want it brined and as toxin-free as possible by noon tomorrow." "It tastes better as-is," Pancetta's left head pouted, while the right head licked her lips. "Come on," Charcuterie scolded. "You want to win, don't you? And the judges this time aren't just dragons. They are [i]harpies[/i]. We don't know them very well, in our region, but we sure don't want them to get sick!" "Exactly. So can you do it?" "It will be a time crunch, but we can do it." Three sets of toothy grins flashed at Quartz, and the two meat experts hurried off with their lobster. Floop poked at the Jagged Beak. "Soup?" he asked. "Not today, Floop. Why don't you go play today? Enjoy the festival, go bother Quartzite. We'll let you know if we need you tomorrow." "Okay." The small Obelisk trundled away slowly, but when a brilliantly-colored Aberration child tackled him just outside the taped area, he perked up and hurried off with his friend. "What are we going to do with it?" Volare asked. "Grind it to a powder. The Crystalplate Wasps too--after we remove the stingers." "Flour?" "Flour. We're going to make lobster rolls...tomorrow." Volare didn't have to ask who was going to remove all of the stingers. Slumping just a little, he picked up a single wasp and gingerly removed the venom glands and stinger. Quartz patted him on the shoulder. "Don't take it too personally, son. Wait until Floop gets a little more manageable. Then he'll get all the dirty jobs." Her own task wasn't exactly pleasant at the moment. She set a pot of water on to boil, and then cleaned out what meat there was still clinging to the beaks. She tossed the Madame Snapdragons into the water to boil and then put the beaks in the oven to roast as dry as possible. Volare had finished de-stinging the wasps and was throwing them in the grinder when the beaks came out. Quartz broke up the beaks into pieces small enough to fit in the grinder, and let Volare grind them up while she drained the snapdragons, rinsed them thoroughly, and set another pot on to boil. "Now what are you boiling?" Volare shouted over the noise of the grinder. "The snapdragons!" Quartz hollered. "They have to be boiled and rinsed at least three times before we can cook them into an edible state!" "That seems like a waste of energy," Volare said quietly, pausing the grinder to check the state of the flour. Quartz shrugged. "The Harpies of the Windswept Plateau have a good relationship with the dragons of the Windswept Plateau. But that isn't true everywhere. In some places Beastclan are forced into undesirable places with undesirable food. But they still manage to make do, and some of their innovations are delicious. This is to honor them." Volare turned to his mentor. "I didn't know you felt so passionately about Beastclan rights." Quartz turned back to her work, dumping the snapdragons back into the pot. "I only recently decided to start speaking to Aoide about it. I grew up around Serthis in the Viridian Labyrinth. Some of my closest friends are Serthis. One of my mentors in herbal potions was a Serthis. I don't know any Harpies, but that doesn't mean I don't want to know them or honor their cuisine." Volare nodded. "I see. I guess I just took for granted that Beastclan everywhere were like the Harpies here. But let's talk more later." He held up the grinder bowl. "Is this fine enough, you think?" Quartz nodded. "Yes. We'll add some regular flour too. We want a long-ish, thick, puffy roll." She held up her claws to indicate the size. "Oh, a po'boy." "A what?" "We call that size a po'boy. Or at least, Petra does. I'm going to go hunt her down so she can start making the rolls, and then I'm off for the day...if that's okay with you?" "Perfectly fine." Quartz was watching the timer count down on the snapdragons. Still two more boilings to go. [center][b]Today[/b][/center] "Howdy," Petra greeted Quartz as she arrived at their booth the next day, "I'm just cutting up these rolls. You are using them for sandwiches, right?" Quartz nodded. "Yes, they look perfect." She picked up a large broken piece and sampled it. "Just right." Petra shrugged. "I prefer to avoid using bug flour, but when necessary...I did use a little regular flour. I hope that's okay." "Fine," Quartz said, looking around for her assistants. "Charcuterie stopped by earlier, but he said they weren't done yet. Should be back a little after noon, he said." "Thanks." Quartz sat for a minute. "I'm not sure what to do now. All the rest of the things will need to be freshly cooked when we plate them. Although..." her busy claws soon had a large kettle of water on to boil. "Tea?" Petra queried. "Tea." Quartz grinned. "You know I have to make tea." The Snapper nodded. "Well, I'm finished with the rolls. See you at presentation time." She trundled off, leaving Quartz to ponder. Lobster po'boys, greens, sweet tea...she needed something else. Something that would set off the salty bitter greens with the creamy lobster and the sweet bitter tea...aha. Smiling, Quartz hurried to the pantry and snatched a large bag of sweet potatoes. Hopefully her meat duo would return by the time she finished peeling and chopping them. About an hour later, Quartz was once again waiting. She wasn't quite ready to fry the sweet potato rounds, but the Ridgeback and Aberration were nowhere to be seen. "Boo!" Pancetta popped up from behind the counter. Quartz yelped, distracting several nearby contestants. "Don't do that!" she scolded the laughing Aberration. Unrepentant, Pancetta held up a lidded jar containing two lobster tails gently floating in brine. "Here they are! Edible to most dragons now." Quartz froze, her claws halfway to the jar. "What to you mean, 'most' dragons?" she asked suspiciously. "Well," the Aberration drawled, "aren't some dragons allergic to shellfish?" She helpfully shoved the jar into Quartz' claws. "Oh." Relieved, Quartz hurried to open the jar and rinse the brine off the lobster. "Do you want to help?" "Sure." Pancetta leaped over the counter and padded over. "What do you want me to do?" Quartz sighed. "First, wash your front claws, and then stay on your hind legs as much as possible." The Aberration rolled all of her eyes but complied with the request. Quatz directed her to chop the lobster into small cubes and dip them into a batter that she had prepared while waiting. "Next, we deep-fry." Pancetta, the meat curer, was more accustomed to processes that took days, weeks and months to complete. Deep-frying, a process that took minutes or seconds, was a new pleasure. She gleefully fried the battered lobster cubes in batches, and Quartz was only too happy to let her continue with the sweet potato rounds. "Keep it up," the Skudancer said encouragingly, pulling the bowl of snapdragons out of the refrigerator, along with the tiny scraps of jagged beak meat. Pancetta wrinkled both her noses. "That doesn't look too appetizing." The snapdragons were limp from their repeated boilings the day before, wilted together into a green soggy mass. "I know," Quartz said, "but that doesn't mean they won't taste good." She pulled out a heavy iron skillet. "Pass me some bacon?" The Aberration was only too happy to comply. Quartz fried up the bacon with the beak meat, and then added the greens to the skillet. She tossed them around until they were warmed and slightly crispy, and then immediately plated them. "Add the sweet potatoes to the plates." Pancetta did so as Quartz quickly spread mayonnaise on the buns, added leafy lettuce, and topped them with heaping piles of fried lobster. "Perfect." "No! One more thing." Pancetta turned toward the refrigerator, and rummaged around. "Hey, what's this?" "The tea!" Quartz yelped. "I almost forgot." She grabbed the pitcher and began pouring it into the glasses. "But what are you adding to the sandwiches?" "Just a couple of pickle slices." Pancetta waved a couple under Quartz' nose so that she could smell them. "Good! Yes, that should be perfect." ----- Quartz stood before the judges with Pancetta beside her, each holding a large tray with two plates. Petra, Volare, and Charcuterie looked on from the audience as she introduced their fare. "Today we are serving Plaguebringer's Delight Po'boys, served on a bun made with Crystalplate Wasp and Jagged Beak Flour. Accompanying the sandwiches, you will find sweet potato fries and Madame Snapdragon greens with bacon and beak meat. Also, a glass of sweet iced tea...sweet enough to 'stand a spoon in', as I've heard is traditional in the region from whence these recipes were inspired.*" Quartz stepped down, crossing her fingers. She'd only made it past the second round once; would her dish be good enough to beat out TWO other competitors? *The Snapdragon recipe is inspired by the American Appalachian/Deep South [i]poke sallet[/i], also spelled [i]poke salad[/i]. Pokeweed is a very poisonous plant that grows wild in many areas of the US, but it is edible IF treated in the manner prescribed here. Po'boys are traditional sandwiches from Louisiana. They can have a variety of fillings, but are usually filled with fried meat or seafood. The bread is the important part; wheat flour was more difficult to come by in that region, so the dough was made with more water and less flour than a typical baguette. I have taken the liberty of substituting part of the flour with insect and beak flour (I assume the beak-thing is in fact edible since it's a food item, lol) Sweet potatoes are a common staple in many regions of the world, but America was probably the first place to deep fry them. And of course, no Southern meal is complete without sweet iced tea. Exactly HOW sweet depends on the region and the individual's preference. :)
Round 2 wrote:
Congratulations, you’ve impressed the harpy members of the judging panel with their favorite type of food. Now let's show them the fullest extent of your culinary capabilities by working with some less than ideal ingredients.

Use at least THREE of the following ingredients in your entry:

Madame Snapdragon Crystalplate Wasp Jagged Beak Plaguebringer's Delight

Madame Snapdragon / Crystalplate Wasp / Jagged Beak / Plaguebringer’s Delight

list of Clan Aquaurora competitors

Yesterday

Quartz and her motley crew watched the revealing of the ingredients, feeling just as dismayed as most of the other competitors when the ingredients turned out to be...less than edible. Still, they did have two days.

She quickly took charge. "Charcuterie, Pancetta; this one's for you." She indicated the Plaguebringer's Delight with a claw. "I want it brined and as toxin-free as possible by noon tomorrow."

"It tastes better as-is," Pancetta's left head pouted, while the right head licked her lips.

"Come on," Charcuterie scolded. "You want to win, don't you? And the judges this time aren't just dragons. They are harpies. We don't know them very well, in our region, but we sure don't want them to get sick!"

"Exactly. So can you do it?"

"It will be a time crunch, but we can do it." Three sets of toothy grins flashed at Quartz, and the two meat experts hurried off with their lobster.

Floop poked at the Jagged Beak. "Soup?" he asked.

"Not today, Floop. Why don't you go play today? Enjoy the festival, go bother Quartzite. We'll let you know if we need you tomorrow."

"Okay." The small Obelisk trundled away slowly, but when a brilliantly-colored Aberration child tackled him just outside the taped area, he perked up and hurried off with his friend.

"What are we going to do with it?" Volare asked.

"Grind it to a powder. The Crystalplate Wasps too--after we remove the stingers."

"Flour?"

"Flour. We're going to make lobster rolls...tomorrow."

Volare didn't have to ask who was going to remove all of the stingers. Slumping just a little, he picked up a single wasp and gingerly removed the venom glands and stinger. Quartz patted him on the shoulder. "Don't take it too personally, son. Wait until Floop gets a little more manageable. Then he'll get all the dirty jobs."

Her own task wasn't exactly pleasant at the moment. She set a pot of water on to boil, and then cleaned out what meat there was still clinging to the beaks. She tossed the Madame Snapdragons into the water to boil and then put the beaks in the oven to roast as dry as possible. Volare had finished de-stinging the wasps and was throwing them in the grinder when the beaks came out. Quartz broke up the beaks into pieces small enough to fit in the grinder, and let Volare grind them up while she drained the snapdragons, rinsed them thoroughly, and set another pot on to boil.

"Now what are you boiling?" Volare shouted over the noise of the grinder.

"The snapdragons!" Quartz hollered. "They have to be boiled and rinsed at least three times before we can cook them into an edible state!"

"That seems like a waste of energy," Volare said quietly, pausing the grinder to check the state of the flour.

Quartz shrugged. "The Harpies of the Windswept Plateau have a good relationship with the dragons of the Windswept Plateau. But that isn't true everywhere. In some places Beastclan are forced into undesirable places with undesirable food. But they still manage to make do, and some of their innovations are delicious. This is to honor them."

Volare turned to his mentor. "I didn't know you felt so passionately about Beastclan rights."

Quartz turned back to her work, dumping the snapdragons back into the pot. "I only recently decided to start speaking to Aoide about it. I grew up around Serthis in the Viridian Labyrinth. Some of my closest friends are Serthis. One of my mentors in herbal potions was a Serthis. I don't know any Harpies, but that doesn't mean I don't want to know them or honor their cuisine."

Volare nodded. "I see. I guess I just took for granted that Beastclan everywhere were like the Harpies here. But let's talk more later." He held up the grinder bowl. "Is this fine enough, you think?"

Quartz nodded. "Yes. We'll add some regular flour too. We want a long-ish, thick, puffy roll." She held up her claws to indicate the size.

"Oh, a po'boy."

"A what?"

"We call that size a po'boy. Or at least, Petra does. I'm going to go hunt her down so she can start making the rolls, and then I'm off for the day...if that's okay with you?"

"Perfectly fine." Quartz was watching the timer count down on the snapdragons. Still two more boilings to go.
Today

"Howdy," Petra greeted Quartz as she arrived at their booth the next day, "I'm just cutting up these rolls. You are using them for sandwiches, right?"

Quartz nodded. "Yes, they look perfect." She picked up a large broken piece and sampled it. "Just right."

Petra shrugged. "I prefer to avoid using bug flour, but when necessary...I did use a little regular flour. I hope that's okay."

"Fine," Quartz said, looking around for her assistants.

"Charcuterie stopped by earlier, but he said they weren't done yet. Should be back a little after noon, he said."

"Thanks." Quartz sat for a minute. "I'm not sure what to do now. All the rest of the things will need to be freshly cooked when we plate them. Although..." her busy claws soon had a large kettle of water on to boil.

"Tea?" Petra queried.

"Tea." Quartz grinned. "You know I have to make tea."

The Snapper nodded. "Well, I'm finished with the rolls. See you at presentation time." She trundled off, leaving Quartz to ponder. Lobster po'boys, greens, sweet tea...she needed something else. Something that would set off the salty bitter greens with the creamy lobster and the sweet bitter tea...aha.

Smiling, Quartz hurried to the pantry and snatched a large bag of sweet potatoes. Hopefully her meat duo would return by the time she finished peeling and chopping them.

About an hour later, Quartz was once again waiting. She wasn't quite ready to fry the sweet potato rounds, but the Ridgeback and Aberration were nowhere to be seen.

"Boo!" Pancetta popped up from behind the counter.

Quartz yelped, distracting several nearby contestants. "Don't do that!" she scolded the laughing Aberration.

Unrepentant, Pancetta held up a lidded jar containing two lobster tails gently floating in brine. "Here they are! Edible to most dragons now."

Quartz froze, her claws halfway to the jar. "What to you mean, 'most' dragons?" she asked suspiciously.

"Well," the Aberration drawled, "aren't some dragons allergic to shellfish?" She helpfully shoved the jar into Quartz' claws.

"Oh." Relieved, Quartz hurried to open the jar and rinse the brine off the lobster. "Do you want to help?"

"Sure." Pancetta leaped over the counter and padded over. "What do you want me to do?"

Quartz sighed. "First, wash your front claws, and then stay on your hind legs as much as possible."

The Aberration rolled all of her eyes but complied with the request. Quatz directed her to chop the lobster into small cubes and dip them into a batter that she had prepared while waiting. "Next, we deep-fry."

Pancetta, the meat curer, was more accustomed to processes that took days, weeks and months to complete. Deep-frying, a process that took minutes or seconds, was a new pleasure. She gleefully fried the battered lobster cubes in batches, and Quartz was only too happy to let her continue with the sweet potato rounds.

"Keep it up," the Skudancer said encouragingly, pulling the bowl of snapdragons out of the refrigerator, along with the tiny scraps of jagged beak meat.

Pancetta wrinkled both her noses. "That doesn't look too appetizing." The snapdragons were limp from their repeated boilings the day before, wilted together into a green soggy mass.

"I know," Quartz said, "but that doesn't mean they won't taste good." She pulled out a heavy iron skillet. "Pass me some bacon?"

The Aberration was only too happy to comply. Quartz fried up the bacon with the beak meat, and then added the greens to the skillet. She tossed them around until they were warmed and slightly crispy, and then immediately plated them. "Add the sweet potatoes to the plates."

Pancetta did so as Quartz quickly spread mayonnaise on the buns, added leafy lettuce, and topped them with heaping piles of fried lobster. "Perfect."

"No! One more thing." Pancetta turned toward the refrigerator, and rummaged around. "Hey, what's this?"

"The tea!" Quartz yelped. "I almost forgot." She grabbed the pitcher and began pouring it into the glasses. "But what are you adding to the sandwiches?"

"Just a couple of pickle slices." Pancetta waved a couple under Quartz' nose so that she could smell them.

"Good! Yes, that should be perfect."

Quartz stood before the judges with Pancetta beside her, each holding a large tray with two plates. Petra, Volare, and Charcuterie looked on from the audience as she introduced their fare.

"Today we are serving Plaguebringer's Delight Po'boys, served on a bun made with Crystalplate Wasp and Jagged Beak Flour. Accompanying the sandwiches, you will find sweet potato fries and Madame Snapdragon greens with bacon and beak meat. Also, a glass of sweet iced tea...sweet enough to 'stand a spoon in', as I've heard is traditional in the region from whence these recipes were inspired.*"

Quartz stepped down, crossing her fingers. She'd only made it past the second round once; would her dish be good enough to beat out TWO other competitors?

*The Snapdragon recipe is inspired by the American Appalachian/Deep South poke sallet, also spelled poke salad. Pokeweed is a very poisonous plant that grows wild in many areas of the US, but it is edible IF treated in the manner prescribed here.

Po'boys are traditional sandwiches from Louisiana. They can have a variety of fillings, but are usually filled with fried meat or seafood. The bread is the important part; wheat flour was more difficult to come by in that region, so the dough was made with more water and less flour than a typical baguette. I have taken the liberty of substituting part of the flour with insect and beak flour (I assume the beak-thing is in fact edible since it's a food item, lol)

Sweet potatoes are a common staple in many regions of the world, but America was probably the first place to deep fry them. And of course, no Southern meal is complete without sweet iced tea. Exactly HOW sweet depends on the region and the individual's preference. :)
V9b7SpH.png sig_button.png
[center][u][b]Day 4 - Combat[/b][/u] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/1740531][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/17406/1740531_350.png[/img][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/58589004][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/585891/58589004_350.png[/img][/url][/url][/center] Lorelei's large ears pricked forward with interest as they read a sign for the battle tent. She cocked her head to the side and glanced at Solaris who had turned back toward her clan mate when she realized she was not following. A big grin had spread across the Pearlcatcher's carribean lips. [b]"Let's do it!"[/b] the Pearlcatcher shouted excitedly, bouncing, sending her mane flying. Solaris was hesitant, about to say something when Lorelei protested. [b]"Aww come on, it'll be fun! Besides I'm really good at magic now!"[/b] Before Solaris could get a sentence in edge wise her friend had darted in. Solaris hesitated a second more before she groaned and followed after the young dragonelle. Lorelei was at a table signing something with a green feathered quill. [b]"You're gonna sign up too?"[/b] Lorelei's Nature green eyes were wide with excitement and the tip of her tail was wagging excitedly. [b]"Uh no..."[/b] Lorelei's tail stopped wagging. [b]"but I will watch you and cheer you on! Team Sprinkles!"[/b] Solaris smiled. Even though they were no longer in the cooking competition didn't mean they couldn't continue their Jamboree celebration with Wind Flight. In fact they actually had time to participate in some of the other lovely events which was a rarity. The first match the little Pearlcatcher was painted with a young, shy Wildclaw hatchling. They both donned rubber, inflatable protective equipment and had giant q-tip like fighting staves to hit each other with. After going back and forth Lorelei allowed the hatchling to 'stab her' and dramatically flopped over with a gasp and a moan. The Light hatchling shipped with excitement at having won and danced about before quickly offering a claw up. She congratulated him and returned the gear. She wondered what and who the next fight would be as this had been a lot of fun. Lorelei was matched against a warrior harpy with falcon like wing markings as her next opponent and they didn't seem too friendly unlike the hatchling. Their dark brown eyes were like spears behind the off white mask. Lorelei gulped but was determined. This would show Chyou and Surasa that she was ready to battle on her own, that she had finished her training. She was a warrior dragon and ready to train young dragons for the Icewarden. Lorelei snarled and rushed her opponent who nimbly dodged her attack with a quick beat of their wings. Lorelei blocked their counter attack with her tail guard and sent the harpy spiraling. While the harpy was temporarily confused Lorelei turned and quickly muttered the envenomation spell, poisoning the harpy.. The harpy grunted and then made a horrible, ear splitting call. The young Pearlcatcher shuttered at the sound and moved to protect her ears.
Day 4 - Combat

1740531_350.png58589004_350.png

Lorelei's large ears pricked forward with interest as they read a sign for the battle tent. She cocked her head to the side and glanced at Solaris who had turned back toward her clan mate when she realized she was not following. A big grin had spread across the Pearlcatcher's carribean lips.

"Let's do it!" the Pearlcatcher shouted excitedly, bouncing, sending her mane flying. Solaris was hesitant, about to say something when Lorelei protested. "Aww come on, it'll be fun! Besides I'm really good at magic now!" Before Solaris could get a sentence in edge wise her friend had darted in. Solaris hesitated a second more before she groaned and followed after the young dragonelle.

Lorelei was at a table signing something with a green feathered quill. "You're gonna sign up too?" Lorelei's Nature green eyes were wide with excitement and the tip of her tail was wagging excitedly.
"Uh no..."
Lorelei's tail stopped wagging.
"but I will watch you and cheer you on! Team Sprinkles!" Solaris smiled. Even though they were no longer in the cooking competition didn't mean they couldn't continue their Jamboree celebration with Wind Flight. In fact they actually had time to participate in some of the other lovely events which was a rarity.

The first match the little Pearlcatcher was painted with a young, shy Wildclaw hatchling. They both donned rubber, inflatable protective equipment and had giant q-tip like fighting staves to hit each other with. After going back and forth Lorelei allowed the hatchling to 'stab her' and dramatically flopped over with a gasp and a moan. The Light hatchling shipped with excitement at having won and danced about before quickly offering a claw up. She congratulated him and returned the gear. She wondered what and who the next fight would be as this had been a lot of fun.

Lorelei was matched against a warrior harpy with falcon like wing markings as her next opponent and they didn't seem too friendly unlike the hatchling. Their dark brown eyes were like spears behind the off white mask. Lorelei gulped but was determined. This would show Chyou and Surasa that she was ready to battle on her own, that she had finished her training. She was a warrior dragon and ready to train young dragons for the Icewarden.

Lorelei snarled and rushed her opponent who nimbly dodged her attack with a quick beat of their wings. Lorelei blocked their counter attack with her tail guard and sent the harpy spiraling. While the harpy was temporarily confused Lorelei turned and quickly muttered the envenomation spell, poisoning the harpy.. The harpy grunted and then made a horrible, ear splitting call. The young Pearlcatcher shuttered at the sound and moved to protect her ears.
tXKbExw.pngCinnamonThief
[center] Daily Activity: Wednesday [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/44985838][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/449859/44985838_350.png[/img][/url][/center] A weathered and spry spiral of mature years lounges against the rails surrounding the sparring arena. She seems to be measuring the combatants, both in physicality and skill. She nods companionably to some as they finish their matches and pass by, narrowly eyes a few of the more swaggering types, and winks warmly at the younglings only just fully grown. She's not here today to spar, but it never hurts to see what's going on. You never know when you'll find your next protege!
Daily Activity: Wednesday

44985838_350.png

A weathered and spry spiral of mature years lounges against the rails surrounding the sparring arena. She seems to be measuring the combatants, both in physicality and skill. She nods companionably to some as they finish their matches and pass by, narrowly eyes a few of the more swaggering types, and winks warmly at the younglings only just fully grown.

She's not here today to spar, but it never hurts to see what's going on. You never know when you'll find your next protege!
tumblr_inline_nbe8duyTA81qg78ij.png m2YbpzO.png Xx3ZGyj.png
[quote=Day 4]Some of your dragons may be doing a cooking competition, but what about something a bit more physical? Do they step into the ring to try and do some sparring, or just watch the spectacle from the side? You are not limited to the three options I mention above, and can come up with any sort of play-fighting activity.[/quote] [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/56729551][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/567296/56729551_350.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/57677953][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/576780/57677953_350.png[/img][/url][/center] "Oh look, Phaedra!" Whiffle excitedly fluttered over to the poster announcing the sparring contest. "Hmm?" Phaedra was busy working out the nuances of her new Aura. Was it a weapon, an instrument, or...? "Come on, we haven't fought together in forever!" Phaedra scanned the document. "Oh...this might be fun." Her teeth stuck out as she smiled. "Okay. Sign us up. Team competition. Mage/Warrior class." Whiffle cast a small Tornado spell that kicked up a few leaves and discarded ribbons. "They'll never know what hit 'em."
Day 4 wrote:

56729551_350.png57677953_350.png

"Oh look, Phaedra!" Whiffle excitedly fluttered over to the poster announcing the sparring contest.

"Hmm?" Phaedra was busy working out the nuances of her new Aura. Was it a weapon, an instrument, or...?

"Come on, we haven't fought together in forever!"

Phaedra scanned the document. "Oh...this might be fun." Her teeth stuck out as she smiled. "Okay. Sign us up. Team competition. Mage/Warrior class."

Whiffle cast a small Tornado spell that kicked up a few leaves and discarded ribbons. "They'll never know what hit 'em."
V9b7SpH.png sig_button.png
[center]Day 4 [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/70914831][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/709149/70914831.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/72546097][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/725461/72546097.png[/img][/url] Azalea and Wisteria get into quite a bit of mischief together. One such misadventure included the two of them pretending to be mages and having a wizard battle. They went into the woods and made their own wands from fallen tree limbs and then chased one another around casting "spells". [/center]
Day 4

70914831.png72546097.png

Azalea and Wisteria get into quite a bit of mischief together. One such misadventure included the two of them pretending to be mages and having a wizard battle. They went into the woods and made their own wands from fallen tree limbs and then chased one another around casting "spells".
w8o0xW1.pngSaronai made so many star badges and you liked them all! Thank you! Please keep them linked to Ylli's collection thread for others to find.WXOu4H0.pngt4yhov0.png1Up793k.pngSaronai's Free Star Lighting Raffle. Over 3kg in prizes. Ends February 1st. Click to learn more!
1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 24 25