Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Genes stay when breed changed to ancient
1 2 3 4 5
The issue I'm seeing is that, since Ancient genes don't transfer to Moderns (because they're cheaper), it could get pretty confusing if things only transferred one way.

"Why did the markings go away when I changed my Gaoler back to a Nocturne? They stayed when I applied the scrolls the other way!"

Now, I could support it if all Parallel Genes were compressed into one scroll, so you didn't have any worries about that ever transferring... but half the appeal of Ancients to me is that they're so much cheaper to gene, it's way easier to finish a project with one.

(Also... how are y'all spending 500 thousand gems on geneing something? Unless it's a g1 Imp, a full set of gem genes and WC/Coatl scroll at market rates is like... less than 10kg. Something ain't adding up)
The issue I'm seeing is that, since Ancient genes don't transfer to Moderns (because they're cheaper), it could get pretty confusing if things only transferred one way.

"Why did the markings go away when I changed my Gaoler back to a Nocturne? They stayed when I applied the scrolls the other way!"

Now, I could support it if all Parallel Genes were compressed into one scroll, so you didn't have any worries about that ever transferring... but half the appeal of Ancients to me is that they're so much cheaper to gene, it's way easier to finish a project with one.

(Also... how are y'all spending 500 thousand gems on geneing something? Unless it's a g1 Imp, a full set of gem genes and WC/Coatl scroll at market rates is like... less than 10kg. Something ain't adding up)
a small yellow and gold flag with the Light Flight's symbol
She/Her, FR +0
No worms in my username-
R e n a i w o m
I like being pinged, but not mass ones.
I often process thoughts by writing... Trying to TL;DR more.

[quote name="Scintillia" date="2023-03-23 14:31:41" ] no support; while the idea would in theory be really cool, the entire shtick about Flight Rising is that eventually everyone can get their dream dragon, right? Well, it would be too easy to achieve that if genes automatically transferred from Modern to Ancient. Additionally, An ancient's whole thing is that they're different from Moderns; if genes transferred like they do among modern genes, then the ancients would lose one of their distinguishing factors and they wouldn't immediately be seen as "oh this dragon is Different" (which isn't a good way of wording that, but I hope the point i'm trying to say gets across). [/quote] hilariously bad argument. “its too easy” ok just say youre rich and have all the time in the world and move on “ancients are supposed to be different” we are talking about genes that are SHARED with moderns so theyve already failed in this aspect. ancients are already different by way of… being different. also theyre banished to eternal nudity. if people could get their dream dragons faster and more easily…….. they will keep having new dream dragons to work towards. there is no downside to making things a little less miserable to accomplish
Scintillia wrote on 2023-03-23 14:31:41:
no support; while the idea would in theory be really cool, the entire shtick about Flight Rising is that eventually everyone can get their dream dragon, right? Well, it would be too easy to achieve that if genes automatically transferred from Modern to Ancient.

Additionally, An ancient's whole thing is that they're different from Moderns; if genes transferred like they do among modern genes, then the ancients would lose one of their distinguishing factors and they wouldn't immediately be seen as "oh this dragon is Different" (which isn't a good way of wording that, but I hope the point i'm trying to say gets across).

hilariously bad argument.

“its too easy” ok just say youre rich and have all the time in the world and move on

“ancients are supposed to be different” we are talking about genes that are SHARED with moderns so theyve already failed in this aspect.

ancients are already different by way of… being different. also theyre banished to eternal nudity.

if people could get their dream dragons faster and more easily…….. they will keep having new dream dragons to work towards. there is no downside to making things a little less miserable to accomplish
.......LRWJpvK.png
7785.png
x8YqlBy.gif
ciurGcg.png
........lightning_rune.png
T4Peb9C.png
DxCICZ1.png
68469670.png
Qq8TftW.png
The main reason I want this is because it’s annoying in the scrying workshop. xD Switching to an ancient or vice versa erases all entered genes, even if they are a parallel.

I do feel like the system “makes sense” right now, other than the increasing list of genes with (breed name) attached. But, I personally don’t think it would create more confusion than already exists for new users if parallel genes were kept. Any confusion can be answered in one sentence. Only parallel genes have the potential to be saved when swapping between modern and ancient.

I don’t think preserving difficulty matters to me on this. Maybe there is something to be said for, say, swapping a modern to an ancient to pay for cheaper ancient parallel genes and then swapping back, but I’m on mobile right now and am sure how the numbers add up, and what the difference between modern and ancient gene prices are. But swapping for cheaper genes would require 2 breed changes, so it’s probably not cheaper.

It’s also just a pretty big bummer to breed swap to an ancient and have to start from scratch, and I’ve personally only done it when the ancient is released with a breed change scroll. It just feels too costly otherwise. So while I am speculating based on my own experience, I’d bet that more people would have and use and enjoy ancients if they didn’t have to duplicate work they’ve already done.

Either way though, I feel that it is more naturally intuitive that they would transfer, would be less confusing to new people, and make ancients feel even more viable to get into. They still have many intentional and clear limitations, but this could be helpful motivation to use Ancients more for the people who are very casual players.

So, yeah, would be nice to have!
The main reason I want this is because it’s annoying in the scrying workshop. xD Switching to an ancient or vice versa erases all entered genes, even if they are a parallel.

I do feel like the system “makes sense” right now, other than the increasing list of genes with (breed name) attached. But, I personally don’t think it would create more confusion than already exists for new users if parallel genes were kept. Any confusion can be answered in one sentence. Only parallel genes have the potential to be saved when swapping between modern and ancient.

I don’t think preserving difficulty matters to me on this. Maybe there is something to be said for, say, swapping a modern to an ancient to pay for cheaper ancient parallel genes and then swapping back, but I’m on mobile right now and am sure how the numbers add up, and what the difference between modern and ancient gene prices are. But swapping for cheaper genes would require 2 breed changes, so it’s probably not cheaper.

It’s also just a pretty big bummer to breed swap to an ancient and have to start from scratch, and I’ve personally only done it when the ancient is released with a breed change scroll. It just feels too costly otherwise. So while I am speculating based on my own experience, I’d bet that more people would have and use and enjoy ancients if they didn’t have to duplicate work they’ve already done.

Either way though, I feel that it is more naturally intuitive that they would transfer, would be less confusing to new people, and make ancients feel even more viable to get into. They still have many intentional and clear limitations, but this could be helpful motivation to use Ancients more for the people who are very casual players.

So, yeah, would be nice to have!
eP65k0J.png
NO SUPPORT
Half the POINT of ancients is they are CHEAP TO GENE! If you make it so that genes TRANSFER, people WILL cheat the system. And while it's nice that you can keep genes, it's not really fair on the people who spent THOUSANDS OF GEMS on genes for a dragon, because everyone will get the same result for HALF THE PRICE. Not fair. Bad idea.
NO SUPPORT
Half the POINT of ancients is they are CHEAP TO GENE! If you make it so that genes TRANSFER, people WILL cheat the system. And while it's nice that you can keep genes, it's not really fair on the people who spent THOUSANDS OF GEMS on genes for a dragon, because everyone will get the same result for HALF THE PRICE. Not fair. Bad idea.
fyu120w.png
Head on over to Azmodeus's Cancer Hatchery and buy a Cancer Dragon!
[quote name="SuspiciousCookie" date="2023-03-23 19:51:03" ] NO SUPPORT Half the POINT of ancients is they are CHEAP TO GENE! If you make it so that genes TRANSFER, people WILL cheat the system. And while it's nice that you can keep genes, it's not really fair on the people who spent THOUSANDS OF GEMS on genes for a dragon, because everyone will get the same result for HALF THE PRICE. Not fair. Bad idea. [/quote] 1 you sound exactly like the people against free education; ‘its not fair to the people who already paid’. and this is a dragon dress-up website. its not that big a deal. 2 solution here is to make the genes not transfer from ancient to modern, only modern to ancient though really, is it *that* much cheaper to use a breed change, gene, then yet another breed change? and is it that much of a crime to make things a little easier to gene?
SuspiciousCookie wrote on 2023-03-23 19:51:03:
NO SUPPORT

1 you sound exactly like the people against free education; ‘its not fair to the people who already paid’. and this is a dragon dress-up website. its not that big a deal.

2 solution here is to make the genes not transfer from ancient to modern, only modern to ancient

though really, is it *that* much cheaper to use a breed change, gene, then yet another breed change? and is it that much of a crime to make things a little easier to gene?
.......LRWJpvK.png
7785.png
x8YqlBy.gif
ciurGcg.png
........lightning_rune.png
T4Peb9C.png
DxCICZ1.png
68469670.png
Qq8TftW.png
It Costs 5,900 gems to fully gene and breed change a modern dragon using only gem genes.

It costs 2,850 to fully gene and breed change an ancient dragon using only gem genes.

Using the basic, most people will likely buy in batches of 20 dollars, that's 60 dollars to gene a modern dragon with only gem genes, compared to about 30 for an ancient.

That 60 you spent on modern genes for a dragon doesn't have the price of the ancient rolled into it. It shouldn't have the price rolled into it, because the items do different things. Just because you (General you here. Not calling anyone out) change your mind on a dragon's appearance, doesn't mean you get a refund or discount to change it again when something new comes out.
It Costs 5,900 gems to fully gene and breed change a modern dragon using only gem genes.

It costs 2,850 to fully gene and breed change an ancient dragon using only gem genes.

Using the basic, most people will likely buy in batches of 20 dollars, that's 60 dollars to gene a modern dragon with only gem genes, compared to about 30 for an ancient.

That 60 you spent on modern genes for a dragon doesn't have the price of the ancient rolled into it. It shouldn't have the price rolled into it, because the items do different things. Just because you (General you here. Not calling anyone out) change your mind on a dragon's appearance, doesn't mean you get a refund or discount to change it again when something new comes out.
Please don't quote me.
No support. its already cheaper to gene ancients. the trade off of them is the no breeding with modern no clothing. Plus at this point with 4 ancient breeds its unreasonable to change it. so many people would have to have treasure and gems refunded and they would have to fend off people upset that they spent all this money on buying genes just for them to change it to "yeah you can just flip flop on if you want them to be a modern breed or an ancient breed".
No support. its already cheaper to gene ancients. the trade off of them is the no breeding with modern no clothing. Plus at this point with 4 ancient breeds its unreasonable to change it. so many people would have to have treasure and gems refunded and they would have to fend off people upset that they spent all this money on buying genes just for them to change it to "yeah you can just flip flop on if you want them to be a modern breed or an ancient breed".
MANTICORE_BADGE_100.png
100% fully support this. Very QoL oriented and would make MUCH more sense.
100% fully support this. Very QoL oriented and would make MUCH more sense.
Support!
Support!
dct6cq2-114b1547-3fa8-4b5c-94f0-0fef4947daf3.png
if this true for scrolling ancient into modern this could be exploited to spend less.
If it is not true - it creat wierd inconsistency. And confusing players even more (because they anyway will be confused that some gens stay and some vanish)

(really lots of people even do know about lots "breeding" features. like gene/breed rarity forexample)
if this true for scrolling ancient into modern this could be exploited to spend less.
If it is not true - it creat wierd inconsistency. And confusing players even more (because they anyway will be confused that some gens stay and some vanish)

(really lots of people even do know about lots "breeding" features. like gene/breed rarity forexample)

preorder list

Buy

Buy

Buy

Buy
1 2 3 4 5