Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Add (Modern) tag to gene scrolls please
1 2 3
@RedWillia What @Anchoram said, yes.

I am asking, in the simpler part of my request, for Modern genes to have exactly the same "Gene Name (1 word indicating what dragon type(s) it can be applied to)" formatting as Ancient genes already do.

This is so that search text filtering FOR Modern genes is possible in the same way that one can already search on (Undertide), (Veilspun), whatever. Except in this case it would be (Modern). ONE word. Not a long string of text, because there does not need to be. Modern genes apply to all Modern breeds, they are not breed-specific.

RedWillia seems to have mistakenly read this to mean that the names of ALL of the modern breeds would be in the ( ), or that is my best guess at understanding the objection made. But as outlined above, that is not necessary, (Modern) will do - the same term already available as a filter for them in the Marketplace.

So Modern genes would be changed to displaying/searching as,

Tertiary Gene: Flecks (Veilspun)
Tertiary Gene: Flecks (Undertide)
Tertiary Gene: Flecks (Modern)

....etc.

It is a name format and filtering option which already exists for every other gene, and is better than nothing until someone can come up with and implement a better idea.

(Moving the edit to the first post, I opened the wrong one!)

I am asking, in the simpler part of my request, for Modern genes to have exactly the same "Gene Name (1 word indicating what dragon type(s) it can be applied to)" formatting as Ancient genes already do.

This is so that search text filtering FOR Modern genes is possible in the same way that one can already search on (Undertide), (Veilspun), whatever. Except in this case it would be (Modern). ONE word. Not a long string of text, because there does not need to be. Modern genes apply to all Modern breeds, they are not breed-specific.

RedWillia seems to have mistakenly read this to mean that the names of ALL of the modern breeds would be in the ( ), or that is my best guess at understanding the objection made. But as outlined above, that is not necessary, (Modern) will do - the same term already available as a filter for them in the Marketplace.

So Modern genes would be changed to displaying/searching as,

Tertiary Gene: Flecks (Veilspun)
Tertiary Gene: Flecks (Undertide)
Tertiary Gene: Flecks (Modern)

....etc.

It is a name format and filtering option which already exists for every other gene, and is better than nothing until someone can come up with and implement a better idea.

Yes. Unique items names is best and fastest way fix it because problem not only with genes but with every items cathegory when you're unable find item you need without dozzen of garbage with same+something name
Yes. Unique items names is best and fastest way fix it because problem not only with genes but with every items cathegory when you're unable find item you need without dozzen of garbage with same+something name

preorder list

Buy

Buy

Buy

Buy
This sounds like a great idea, this would help me search through the auction house much faster, and would also prevent giving me false ideas of what the modern gene price is because of all the ancient copies.
This sounds like a great idea, this would help me search through the auction house much faster, and would also prevent giving me false ideas of what the modern gene price is because of all the ancient copies.
mctEJP5.png
Wyvern /\ FR+3
Any pronouns but it/its

>If I made the thread, I'm subbed!
>Feel free to ping me, I don't mind!
snowy_owlynx.pngguardian_foo.png snowsquall_floracat.png
[quote name="williwawwarden" date="2023-03-22 14:06:49" ] @RedWillia What @Anchoram said, yes. I am asking, in the simpler part of my request, for Modern genes to have exactly the same "Gene Name (1 word indicating what dragon type(s) it can be applied to)" formatting as Ancient genes already do. This is so that search text filtering FOR Modern genes is possible in the same way that one can already search on (Undertide), (Veilspun), whatever. Except in this case it would be (Modern). ONE word. Not a long string of text, because there does not need to be. Modern genes apply to all Modern breeds, they are not breed-specific. RedWillia seems to have mistakenly read this to mean that the names of ALL of the modern breeds would be in the ( ), or that is my best guess at understanding the objection made. But as outlined above, that is not necessary, (Modern) will do - the same term already available as a filter for them in the Marketplace. It is a name format and filtering option which already exists for every other gene, and is better than nothing until someone can come up with and implement a better idea. (Moving the edit to the first post, I opened the wrong one!) [/quote] No, I understood perfectly your suggestion as it crops up often - and my answer is always no: ancient gene naming pattern is bad and this would just make the entire problem worse. Information should either flow down or flow up in the title, and ancient genes are named in neither way: the biggest category "breed" is at the end, while middle category primary/secondary/tertiary is in front and most specific part ends up lost somewhere in the middle. Either all genes should be renamed as gene-part-breed (Jaguar: Primary for Aberrations, Jaguar: Primary for Moderns) or as breed-part-gene (Aberration Primary: Jaguar, Modern Primary: Jaguar), either way keeping most important parts of the title in the same place. Continuing no support for OP suggestion as it only enhances the problem. Just literally add a field in search for item ID, it is already unique, non-repeating for any item in the site, and there's is already a code, DB widget, that uses it to uniquely differentiate all items, genes, skins, familiars and everything else, so it's already known to work.
williwawwarden wrote on 2023-03-22 14:06:49:

No, I understood perfectly your suggestion as it crops up often - and my answer is always no: ancient gene naming pattern is bad and this would just make the entire problem worse. Information should either flow down or flow up in the title, and ancient genes are named in neither way: the biggest category "breed" is at the end, while middle category primary/secondary/tertiary is in front and most specific part ends up lost somewhere in the middle. Either all genes should be renamed as gene-part-breed (Jaguar: Primary for Aberrations, Jaguar: Primary for Moderns) or as breed-part-gene (Aberration Primary: Jaguar, Modern Primary: Jaguar), either way keeping most important parts of the title in the same place.

Continuing no support for OP suggestion as it only enhances the problem.

Just literally add a field in search for item ID, it is already unique, non-repeating for any item in the site, and there's is already a code, DB widget, that uses it to uniquely differentiate all items, genes, skins, familiars and everything else, so it's already known to work.
JQQ3Fjt.png
I agree, a (Modern) tag while possibly not a complete fix to the issues would simplify things while just bring them in line with the style of the ancient gene variants. So, not a massive change, it would help with searching, I would like it if places where you can obtain genes (Baldwins, Marketplace, and Auction) would maybe also have genes more separated in general. Browsing the forums I have seen some people also suggesting that genes get their own item group eventually (maybe breed change scrolls and/or name change scrolls with them to get all dragon changing items together) that way you could also have a sub-filter for the type (Modren, Veilspun, ect) like the auction house has for buying dragons where you can sort by the type of dragon or apparel where you can select the item area, just the types of genes and maybe one for breed change scrolls if they are combined together
I agree, a (Modern) tag while possibly not a complete fix to the issues would simplify things while just bring them in line with the style of the ancient gene variants. So, not a massive change, it would help with searching, I would like it if places where you can obtain genes (Baldwins, Marketplace, and Auction) would maybe also have genes more separated in general. Browsing the forums I have seen some people also suggesting that genes get their own item group eventually (maybe breed change scrolls and/or name change scrolls with them to get all dragon changing items together) that way you could also have a sub-filter for the type (Modren, Veilspun, ect) like the auction house has for buying dragons where you can sort by the type of dragon or apparel where you can select the item area, just the types of genes and maybe one for breed change scrolls if they are combined together
dT9HQge.png
StJyjbv.png
@RedWillia The other half of my suggestion was to allow filtering in other areas of the site for Modern genes as a category, as is already possible in the Marketplace. I prefer that to what you are suggesting, as your version is not new/returning/infrequent-user-friendly; it assumes someone knows what Item ID is and where to find it, and requires more hassle than typing in one catch-all word.

But my larger issue with it is below this next part....

An option to search by item ID# so items like Roc are searchable without an Amazon search-like number of irrelevant results is not a bad idea either, and it would be nice if we could get both.

But, unless your idea makes it possible to bring up modern genes (all) the way that is already possible with every other gene type by searching on Banescale or whatever, it still only fixes part of the problem. It provides a solution which is exactly specific enough, except when it is too specific.

@MariaLunari I thought about how to narrow things down more, as I agree that the clutter is a lot, especially in Auctions and Vault where there is only so much to be done to narrow it down. But, it all runs into the same problem that gene scrolls' biggest competition as far as clutter and searchability goes is.... every other gene.

So, while separating genes from [everything not a gene scroll] makes a dent in the total raw amount of clutter (and I would not mind it happening), it still does not address those scrolls being their own worst enemy. Making it possible to filter for both Gene Slot (Secondary, etc.) and (breed category) at Auction or Vault would be nice too, though.

@RedWillia The other half of my suggestion was to allow filtering in other areas of the site for Modern genes as a category, as is already possible in the Marketplace. I prefer that to what you are suggesting, as your version is not new/returning/infrequent-user-friendly; it assumes someone knows what Item ID is and where to find it, and requires more hassle than typing in one catch-all word.

But my larger issue with it is below this next part....

An option to search by item ID# so items like Roc are searchable without an Amazon search-like number of irrelevant results is not a bad idea either, and it would be nice if we could get both.

But, unless your idea makes it possible to bring up modern genes (all) the way that is already possible with every other gene type by searching on Banescale or whatever, it still only fixes part of the problem. It provides a solution which is exactly specific enough, except when it is too specific.

@MariaLunari I thought about how to narrow things down more, as I agree that the clutter is a lot, especially in Auctions and Vault where there is only so much to be done to narrow it down. But, it all runs into the same problem that gene scrolls' biggest competition as far as clutter and searchability goes is.... every other gene.

So, while separating genes from [everything not a gene scroll] makes a dent in the total raw amount of clutter (and I would not mind it happening), it still does not address those scrolls being their own worst enemy. Making it possible to filter for both Gene Slot (Secondary, etc.) and (breed category) at Auction or Vault would be nice too, though.

As we can see in news about changing Secondary Gene: Current (Undertide) - changing names is not something imposible for devs. And "someone's broken bb code" is not an argue.
Thus seems giving every it an unique name more then realistic solution. And this do not require complicated game coding like AH revamp requair.

It is simple but effective solution to solve multiple problems!
As we can see in news about changing Secondary Gene: Current (Undertide) - changing names is not something imposible for devs. And "someone's broken bb code" is not an argue.
Thus seems giving every it an unique name more then realistic solution. And this do not require complicated game coding like AH revamp requair.

It is simple but effective solution to solve multiple problems!

preorder list

Buy

Buy

Buy

Buy
[quote name="RedWillia" date="2023-03-22 14:37:31" ] No, I understood perfectly your suggestion as it crops up often - and my answer is always no: ancient gene naming pattern is bad and this would just make the entire problem worse. Information should either flow down or flow up in the title, and ancient genes are named in neither way: the biggest category "breed" is at the end, while middle category primary/secondary/tertiary is in front and most specific part ends up lost somewhere in the middle. Either all genes should be renamed as gene-part-breed (Jaguar: Primary for Aberrations, Jaguar: Primary for Moderns) or as breed-part-gene (Aberration Primary: Jaguar, Modern Primary: Jaguar), either way keeping most important parts of the title in the same place. Continuing no support for OP suggestion as it only enhances the problem. Just literally add a field in search for item ID, it is already unique, non-repeating for any item in the site, and there's is already a code, DB widget, that uses it to uniquely differentiate all items, genes, skins, familiars and everything else, so it's already known to work. [/quote] Your first suggestion is in my opinion a lot more intrusive than what has been brought up in the thread and I disagree with the fact that the current naming scheme is so bad. Also as OP mentioned while searching by ID is fine to have as an option it's not a solution to the current problem and would also only benefit a few hardcore users. Maybe 6-7 years ago when I had a lot of time to play FR I might have been the kind of user who'd go around memorising and looking up item IDs so that I could search for them, but I am certainly not that kind of person now and I do think I represent the majority in that regards. Of course another solution would be for the staff to implement the possibility to do an exact search so that you ONLY get exactly what you typed in. But that's again more extensive and time-consuming than the extremely simple suggestion in this thread.
RedWillia wrote on 2023-03-22 14:37:31:

No, I understood perfectly your suggestion as it crops up often - and my answer is always no: ancient gene naming pattern is bad and this would just make the entire problem worse. Information should either flow down or flow up in the title, and ancient genes are named in neither way: the biggest category "breed" is at the end, while middle category primary/secondary/tertiary is in front and most specific part ends up lost somewhere in the middle. Either all genes should be renamed as gene-part-breed (Jaguar: Primary for Aberrations, Jaguar: Primary for Moderns) or as breed-part-gene (Aberration Primary: Jaguar, Modern Primary: Jaguar), either way keeping most important parts of the title in the same place.

Continuing no support for OP suggestion as it only enhances the problem.

Just literally add a field in search for item ID, it is already unique, non-repeating for any item in the site, and there's is already a code, DB widget, that uses it to uniquely differentiate all items, genes, skins, familiars and everything else, so it's already known to work.

Your first suggestion is in my opinion a lot more intrusive than what has been brought up in the thread and I disagree with the fact that the current naming scheme is so bad.

Also as OP mentioned while searching by ID is fine to have as an option it's not a solution to the current problem and would also only benefit a few hardcore users. Maybe 6-7 years ago when I had a lot of time to play FR I might have been the kind of user who'd go around memorising and looking up item IDs so that I could search for them, but I am certainly not that kind of person now and I do think I represent the majority in that regards.

Of course another solution would be for the staff to implement the possibility to do an exact search so that you ONLY get exactly what you typed in. But that's again more extensive and time-consuming than the extremely simple suggestion in this thread.
by-knighterrant.png
@Anchoram Oh, relevant if not precisely on topic, you reminded me that there is a related issue in the Auction House specifically. I gave it its own thread over here, so I have removed it from this thread as derailing-prone. The gist is 'Auction House searching in general is quirky' and not even consistent with how Hoard/Vault searching works, never mind able to narrow some things down to actually relevant results - and that plus the gene clutter issue does not a good combination make.

Sorry again if I multi-pinged you!
@Anchoram Oh, relevant if not precisely on topic, you reminded me that there is a related issue in the Auction House specifically. I gave it its own thread over here, so I have removed it from this thread as derailing-prone. The gist is 'Auction House searching in general is quirky' and not even consistent with how Hoard/Vault searching works, never mind able to narrow some things down to actually relevant results - and that plus the gene clutter issue does not a good combination make.

Sorry again if I multi-pinged you!
While we don't normally respond to Suggestions threads, I just wanted to let everyone know that our team has prioritized exploring options for making modern/ancient gene navigation less painful. It is high on the list, it's just a matter of other important work taking priority right now.
While we don't normally respond to Suggestions threads, I just wanted to let everyone know that our team has prioritized exploring options for making modern/ancient gene navigation less painful. It is high on the list, it's just a matter of other important work taking priority right now.
Flight Rising Developer
Project Management | Engineering Team Cheerleader | UI Designer
1 2 3