Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Let's talk about the world map...
1 2 3 4 5
[img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/838177721498599464/1072622510849400862/map.png[/img] I DID IT. I updated it.
map.png

I DID IT. I updated it.
Link to art shopLink to skin shopImage depicting a large blue crab carrying produce on their back, its purpose being a background element for the signatureLink to a personal log thread containing various different links, information and sources
Do y'all know how to make a sphere in blender and slap on image on top of it? Like... to get a very rough (admittedly distorted) view of a map, right? /genuine

There's a lot of tutorials for it and 2D images, though I'm curious how many other people have done it. Or there are blender users on here but they just... forgot they can do that.
Do y'all know how to make a sphere in blender and slap on image on top of it? Like... to get a very rough (admittedly distorted) view of a map, right? /genuine

There's a lot of tutorials for it and 2D images, though I'm curious how many other people have done it. Or there are blender users on here but they just... forgot they can do that.
Local Overthinker, He/Him, Pings and notifications are fine.
[img]https://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/familiar/art/45490.png[/img] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dummy?breed=15&gender=1&skin=0&apparel=45489,22046&xt=dressing.png[/img] heres some more maps if it helps! though the bookworm one seems to be triangular?
45490.png
dummy?breed=15&gender=1&skin=0&apparel=45489,22046&xt=dressing.png
heres some more maps if it helps! though the bookworm one seems to be triangular?
WW- - - - -WW
D- - - - - - - -N

ccPlit/hezfpll
xfr time +1''
Jveil adoptsI
wwavatart'w
G- - - - - - - -P
WW- - - - -WW
pixel drawing of an animal character sleeping on a black background. it is black with blue paws, and is wearing a crown.
[quote name="wanderingworlds" date="2023-02-07 15:42:34" ] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/familiar/art/45490.png[/img] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dummy?breed=15&gender=1&skin=0&apparel=45489,22046&xt=dressing.png[/img] heres some more maps if it helps! though the bookworm one seems to be triangular? [/quote] Oh! Thats actually a thing irl! https://www.atlasofplaces.com/cartography/dymaxion-world-map/ http://www.authagraph.com/projects/description/%E3%80%90%E4%BD%9C%E5%93%81%E8%A7%A3%E8%AA%AC%E3%80%91%E8%A8%98%E4%BA%8B01/?lang=en Theres another onr map by a japanese guy but i cant find it Maybe the Bookworm is using a more accurate map than Carl's outdated and biased map, hence the wonky shape (but its not wonky, merely dofferent than what we are used to!)
wanderingworlds wrote on 2023-02-07 15:42:34:
45490.png
dummy?breed=15&gender=1&skin=0&apparel=45489,22046&xt=dressing.png
heres some more maps if it helps! though the bookworm one seems to be triangular?
Oh! Thats actually a thing irl!
https://www.atlasofplaces.com/cartography/dymaxion-world-map/

http://www.authagraph.com/projects/description/%E3%80%90%E4%BD%9C%E5%93%81%E8%A7%A3%E8%AA%AC%E3%80%91%E8%A8%98%E4%BA%8B01/?lang=en

Theres another onr map by a japanese guy but i cant find it

Maybe the Bookworm is using a more accurate map than Carl's outdated and biased map, hence the wonky shape (but its not wonky, merely dofferent than what we are used to!)
beware of spelling errord, my keyboard is broken and my hands finemotor skills are too.
please click on my creatures, thanks
Lab Profile
@Natron
Your map is gorgeous!! Do you have a key for the colored biomes?
@Natron
Your map is gorgeous!! Do you have a key for the colored biomes?
Do you like familiar matching~? Come check it out.
boo.pngBoolean.png
@shadowwas OH MY GOD, you're right, I need to add the legend so people actually know what they're looking at *facepalms* I'll ping you in my lore thread once I'm done adding the most prominent rivers and bodies of water (landbound), and refining the largest ocean currents because the ones I currently have were just scribbled so I could make sense of it all. Thank you so much btw, this means the world to me!!! [emoji=ridgeback love size=1] I might do a topographical layer as well so one can see the elevation and depth of the oceans. This was weeks in the making xD
@shadowwas OH MY GOD, you're right, I need to add the legend so people actually know what they're looking at *facepalms*

I'll ping you in my lore thread once I'm done adding the most prominent rivers and bodies of water (landbound), and refining the largest ocean currents because the ones I currently have were just scribbled so I could make sense of it all.

Thank you so much btw, this means the world to me!!!

I might do a topographical layer as well so one can see the elevation and depth of the oceans. This was weeks in the making xD
Link to art shopLink to skin shopImage depicting a large blue crab carrying produce on their back, its purpose being a background element for the signatureLink to a personal log thread containing various different links, information and sources
@Natron No worries! Take your time, I know how it is. [emoji=tundra winking size=2] I just wish there was a way to make the canon territory placement make sense... it would be so much easier to figure out realistically if we could assume the continent took up only (or primarily) the southern hemisphere, putting Earth and Nature near or on the Equator. I'd love to be pinged!
@Natron

No worries! Take your time, I know how it is.

I just wish there was a way to make the canon territory placement make sense... it would be so much easier to figure out realistically if we could assume the continent took up only (or primarily) the southern hemisphere, putting Earth and Nature near or on the Equator.

I'd love to be pinged!
Do you like familiar matching~? Come check it out.
boo.pngBoolean.png
@shadowwas it is 4:50 AM so I must keep it short but [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2726701/1#post_44599678]here it is[/url] I am aware that rainforests are usually right around the equator but I simply had to use some artistic liberty because I genuinely did not know how to shove these areas all together in one place and not make my own area "colder than needed". So I relied on some mountains and tropical deserts like those of Sahel (Somalia is a desert even though it's pretty close to the equator) And that is a brilliant idea! However I already tried that and it was sO painful because that would require me to put the Ashfall Waste and the Shifting Expanse too close to the poles and I refused to do so [emoji=skull size=1] I'm here for the heat, that's what I'm in Lightning for and some lore snippets did point out that the Expanse is a hot desert (like the Sahara), not a cold one (like Gobi). There was another option and that was making all of the territories much smaller to fit in there, but that would have made them too tiny.
@shadowwas it is 4:50 AM so I must keep it short but here it is

I am aware that rainforests are usually right around the equator but I simply had to use some artistic liberty because I genuinely did not know how to shove these areas all together in one place and not make my own area "colder than needed". So I relied on some mountains and tropical deserts like those of Sahel (Somalia is a desert even though it's pretty close to the equator)

And that is a brilliant idea! However I already tried that and it was sO painful because that would require me to put the Ashfall Waste and the Shifting Expanse too close to the poles and I refused to do so I'm here for the heat, that's what I'm in Lightning for and some lore snippets did point out that the Expanse is a hot desert (like the Sahara), not a cold one (like Gobi). There was another option and that was making all of the territories much smaller to fit in there, but that would have made them too tiny.
How did I miss the map images? These are marvelous! I like that you put so much water between everything, it makes more sense. The flat map always shows everything all crunched together. Granted, we do have places like that on Earth, but we also have islands in the middle of the ocean.
How did I miss the map images? These are marvelous! I like that you put so much water between everything, it makes more sense. The flat map always shows everything all crunched together. Granted, we do have places like that on Earth, but we also have islands in the middle of the ocean.
Y02PS6v.png
[quote name="Natron" date="2023-02-07 19:56:32" ] it is 4:50 AM so I must keep it short but [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2726701/1#post_44599678]here it is[/url] I am aware that rainforests are usually right around the equator but I simply had to use some artistic liberty because I genuinely did not know how to shove these areas all together in one place and not make my own area "colder than needed". So I relied on some mountains and tropical deserts like those of Sahel (Somalia is a desert even though it's pretty close to the equator) And that is a brilliant idea! However I already tried that and it was sO painful because that would require me to put the Ashfall Waste and the Shifting Expanse too close to the poles and I refused to do so [emoji=skull size=1] I'm here for the heat, that's what I'm in Lightning for and some lore snippets did point out that the Expanse is a hot desert (like the Sahara), not a cold one (like Gobi). There was another option and that was making all of the territories much smaller to fit in there, but that would have made them too tiny. [/quote] Woah! That map is just absolutley stunning! Very good job on a realistic take on sornieth
Natron wrote on 2023-02-07 19:56:32:
it is 4:50 AM so I must keep it short but here it is

I am aware that rainforests are usually right around the equator but I simply had to use some artistic liberty because I genuinely did not know how to shove these areas all together in one place and not make my own area "colder than needed". So I relied on some mountains and tropical deserts like those of Sahel (Somalia is a desert even though it's pretty close to the equator)

And that is a brilliant idea! However I already tried that and it was sO painful because that would require me to put the Ashfall Waste and the Shifting Expanse too close to the poles and I refused to do so I'm here for the heat, that's what I'm in Lightning for and some lore snippets did point out that the Expanse is a hot desert (like the Sahara), not a cold one (like Gobi). There was another option and that was making all of the territories much smaller to fit in there, but that would have made them too tiny.

Woah! That map is just absolutley stunning! Very good job on a realistic take on sornieth
beware of spelling errord, my keyboard is broken and my hands finemotor skills are too.
please click on my creatures, thanks
Lab Profile
1 2 3 4 5