Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Breeding RNG gone stale...
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
[quote]while the rest of the players can't play enough hours to obtain what they would want to in order to find the basic joy they used to be able to maintain regularly.[/quote] insane projection going on in this post l o l
Quote:
while the rest of the players can't play enough hours to obtain what they would want to in order to find the basic joy they used to be able to maintain regularly.

insane projection going on in this post l o l
42978694_MHOUAk0oybKLsTZ.png
My concern is increasing the rate at which treasure is earned will increase inflation, making gems more valuable as a commodity and increasing the need to grind, therefore increasing burnous.

For me FRs forced sedate pace is nice. I can go on for as long or as little as I like, do my dailies, work towards a project if I want, then grind for as long as I like or not at all without my ability to enjoy/play the game being harmed by it.

If the daily treasure cap went up that'd just make it more important to grind towards that cap and to reach that cap would require more grinding.

I do not want this place to become a cycle of grinding or spending real world money to buy premium currency, I just want to buy a pretty dragon at fodder rates and have fun, or buy a project dragon and work slowly on them over time without and need for terribly intense investment.

So, uh, I get where the OP is coming from, but it goes in a direction that'd make the game way, way less fun for me and probably a lot of other people too.
My concern is increasing the rate at which treasure is earned will increase inflation, making gems more valuable as a commodity and increasing the need to grind, therefore increasing burnous.

For me FRs forced sedate pace is nice. I can go on for as long or as little as I like, do my dailies, work towards a project if I want, then grind for as long as I like or not at all without my ability to enjoy/play the game being harmed by it.

If the daily treasure cap went up that'd just make it more important to grind towards that cap and to reach that cap would require more grinding.

I do not want this place to become a cycle of grinding or spending real world money to buy premium currency, I just want to buy a pretty dragon at fodder rates and have fun, or buy a project dragon and work slowly on them over time without and need for terribly intense investment.

So, uh, I get where the OP is coming from, but it goes in a direction that'd make the game way, way less fun for me and probably a lot of other people too.
i understand finding some aspects of the site like coli or bonding with all familiars to be grindy and frustrating sometimes, but i have to respectfully disagree with your other points.

i think the payouts of gameplay are perfectly reasonable, at optimal capacity (investing around an hour of focused time) i am able to buy about 1 gene a day without paying a cent of irl currency. dressing dragons up is fun, but it is far from the only attraction i have for collecting dragons - finding unexpected and unique color and texture combinations from different genes is a huge draw for me, and there are literally endless iterations you can create by breeding somewhat dissimilar dragons. i also love collecting things like familiars and vistas, fest apparel, e.t.c., designing dragons from the ground up with the scrying workshop and trying to recreate them, familiar and scene matching, and finding umas that blend seamlessly. if all you want to do is dress your dragons up, i guess that other stuff doesn't matter much, but plenty of people love those parts of the site.
i understand finding some aspects of the site like coli or bonding with all familiars to be grindy and frustrating sometimes, but i have to respectfully disagree with your other points.

i think the payouts of gameplay are perfectly reasonable, at optimal capacity (investing around an hour of focused time) i am able to buy about 1 gene a day without paying a cent of irl currency. dressing dragons up is fun, but it is far from the only attraction i have for collecting dragons - finding unexpected and unique color and texture combinations from different genes is a huge draw for me, and there are literally endless iterations you can create by breeding somewhat dissimilar dragons. i also love collecting things like familiars and vistas, fest apparel, e.t.c., designing dragons from the ground up with the scrying workshop and trying to recreate them, familiar and scene matching, and finding umas that blend seamlessly. if all you want to do is dress your dragons up, i guess that other stuff doesn't matter much, but plenty of people love those parts of the site.
OFDnJ2q.jpeg
My sister came here from Lioden, and she had a lot of the same issues that you do, until I reminded her: Flight Rising isn't a breeding game, it's a collecting game. It took her a while to change mindsets, but now she's much happier with her style of play: slowly working towards goals and showing off dragons she's proud of.

It might be time to take a step back and reevaluate what you want from the game. When I no longer found joy in the day-to-day play, I stopped playing. For nearly two years. I did some thinking and changed my entire lair. I switched to a g1-only lair. Sure, it takes a lot of money, but I also stopped trying to do things I don't care about (familiars, ancients, fairgrounds, collecting) and focused on what I really, really want to do.

I play for about an hour every day. I do all my dailies (including bonding with 40+ familiars) and train and exalt about 10 fodder a day. Adding in 20 minutes for glimmer and gloom, thats about 200kt a day, more than enough for my needs. I feel comfortable skipping a day here and there, but I rarely want to because I play in a way that doesn't burn me out.

The beauty of this game is that you can play however, whenever, and for however long you want to. That's why so many people stick around for years and years, despite treasure inflating, despite bugs and bad rng, despite changes you might not agree with. Play in a way that makes you happy, even if that means taking a break.
My sister came here from Lioden, and she had a lot of the same issues that you do, until I reminded her: Flight Rising isn't a breeding game, it's a collecting game. It took her a while to change mindsets, but now she's much happier with her style of play: slowly working towards goals and showing off dragons she's proud of.

It might be time to take a step back and reevaluate what you want from the game. When I no longer found joy in the day-to-day play, I stopped playing. For nearly two years. I did some thinking and changed my entire lair. I switched to a g1-only lair. Sure, it takes a lot of money, but I also stopped trying to do things I don't care about (familiars, ancients, fairgrounds, collecting) and focused on what I really, really want to do.

I play for about an hour every day. I do all my dailies (including bonding with 40+ familiars) and train and exalt about 10 fodder a day. Adding in 20 minutes for glimmer and gloom, thats about 200kt a day, more than enough for my needs. I feel comfortable skipping a day here and there, but I rarely want to because I play in a way that doesn't burn me out.

The beauty of this game is that you can play however, whenever, and for however long you want to. That's why so many people stick around for years and years, despite treasure inflating, despite bugs and bad rng, despite changes you might not agree with. Play in a way that makes you happy, even if that means taking a break.
dhay-->Alicio-->Charioteer

Please ping me! I don't subscribe to my posts.
I agree about ancients being a lot less interesting than moderns. To me, a dragon doesn't feel truly "mine" unless I customize it in some way. I have trouble getting attached to a complete off-the-shelf product if I haven't put anything of myself into it. Of course, there are UMAs (I love UMAs), but they're expensive and I still miss being able to customize the dragon further. Even minimalist apparel would give a bit more of a personal touch.

But this doesn't decrease my overall interest in the game. I have plenty of moderns to dress up! And I've even found attachment to a few ancients (gene projects to match specific UMAs, my G2 undertide breeding pair, my Chuckling Coyote Pack fandragon).

As for breeding, I just enjoy breeding moderate-to-wide-range pairs and seeing what pops up. I do feel your point about RNG lacking "substance" (there are no rarity tiers in breeding; every color wheel outcome has an equal chance to pop up, so you don't get the same excitement about breeding rare outcomes as you would in other breeding sims) but, eh, doesn't really bother me. I just want to vibe with cute and/or weird hatchlings and keep the ones that appeal to me personally.
I agree about ancients being a lot less interesting than moderns. To me, a dragon doesn't feel truly "mine" unless I customize it in some way. I have trouble getting attached to a complete off-the-shelf product if I haven't put anything of myself into it. Of course, there are UMAs (I love UMAs), but they're expensive and I still miss being able to customize the dragon further. Even minimalist apparel would give a bit more of a personal touch.

But this doesn't decrease my overall interest in the game. I have plenty of moderns to dress up! And I've even found attachment to a few ancients (gene projects to match specific UMAs, my G2 undertide breeding pair, my Chuckling Coyote Pack fandragon).

As for breeding, I just enjoy breeding moderate-to-wide-range pairs and seeing what pops up. I do feel your point about RNG lacking "substance" (there are no rarity tiers in breeding; every color wheel outcome has an equal chance to pop up, so you don't get the same excitement about breeding rare outcomes as you would in other breeding sims) but, eh, doesn't really bother me. I just want to vibe with cute and/or weird hatchlings and keep the ones that appeal to me personally.
Bubbly Buddy Razanei Lineage Project
Virtual Hibden
Breed Out the Ugly Challenge
[quote name="Charioteer" date="2023-01-19 07:51:38" ] The beauty of this game is that you can play however, whenever, and for however long you want to. That's why so many people stick around for years and years, despite treasure inflating, despite bugs and bad rng, despite changes you might not agree with. Play in a way that makes you happy, even if that means taking a break. [/quote] My thoughts exactly.
Charioteer wrote on 2023-01-19 07:51:38:

My thoughts exactly.

qOB0sGg.png

kRuXbjj.png
Pklc9an.png RFRWPUM.png

kRuXbjj.png

FoauQAq.png
Art Credits: Poisonedpaper / Drytil / Osiem
[quote]while the rest of the players can't play enough hours to obtain what they would want to in order to find the basic joy they used to be able to maintain regularly.[/quote] I'm having plenty of fun only playing 20 minutes to an hour most days, and it's been that way for years(this is a newish account with staff permission). I don't use apparel, but I do design outfits for my dragons. If you're not liking the game anymore, that's fine, but it's odd to be assuming others are the same way. You don't have to do everything every day. All the different site activities are options to gain items/currency, not obligations.
Quote:
while the rest of the players can't play enough hours to obtain what they would want to in order to find the basic joy they used to be able to maintain regularly.

I'm having plenty of fun only playing 20 minutes to an hour most days, and it's been that way for years(this is a newish account with staff permission). I don't use apparel, but I do design outfits for my dragons.
If you're not liking the game anymore, that's fine, but it's odd to be assuming others are the same way. You don't have to do everything every day. All the different site activities are options to gain items/currency, not obligations.
[quote name="Cyrce" date="2023-01-19 08:06:49" ] [quote name="Charioteer" date="2023-01-19 07:51:38" ] The beauty of this game is that you can play however, whenever, and for however long you want to. That's why so many people stick around for years and years, despite treasure inflating, despite bugs and bad rng, despite changes you might not agree with. Play in a way that makes you happy, even if that means taking a break. [/quote] My thoughts exactly. [/quote] [img]https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/550/771/7ac.jpg[/img]
Cyrce wrote on 2023-01-19 08:06:49:
Charioteer wrote on 2023-01-19 07:51:38:

My thoughts exactly.

7ac.jpg
VfJfrBs.jpeg
No hate OP because everyone has their own likes and dislikes, but it sounds like this just isn't the right game for you. There are other pet sites with more emphasis on RNG and plenty of apparel, like Lioden (which someone else mentioned), which you may get more out of.
No hate OP because everyone has their own likes and dislikes, but it sounds like this just isn't the right game for you. There are other pet sites with more emphasis on RNG and plenty of apparel, like Lioden (which someone else mentioned), which you may get more out of.
> My tumblr
> My AO3
X
An angry-looking night elf woman with short green hair and a burn scar on her left cheek, looking to the viewer's right.A night elf woman with purple facial tattoos and purple hair, looking at the viewer with a confident smirk.
she/her | 18+ | FR+2 | brain full of night elves
>> Avatar
>> I love pings!
>> PixelZ, not PixelS!
xxxdont%20feed%20the%20ai.gif
[quote name=ThousandLights] And worst of all, they even ruined the quick money making of NotN, turning it more into yet another rng roulette of good luck getting eggs. You used to be able to sell 10 strange chests for 210 gems, now this year, it was at 160 gems, no longer as profitable as the chance of getting eggs. But what does that mean? WASTING EVEN MORE TIME.[/quote] @ThousandLights I did some math for this, and also just general thinking- feel free to correct me if I got anything wrong. [LIST] [*]If you sell the eggs right after you get them for 200g each (I saw that this was the LAH for at least some part of NotN), you'll get an average value of 16g per chest, with the 8% egg drop rate. That's exactly the same as the selling 10 chests for 160g you mentioned. [*]Well, if you wait to sell the eggs until the LAH gets up to its max of 250g each, that gets you an average value of 20g per chest. However, I sold a bunch of chests this NotN, and at the beginning of the event, the LAH was up to 21g per chest. That's really not a huge difference. [*]In general, the LAH for strange chests changes throughout NotN. I found it very similar to the mechanics of fest currency, which makes a lot of sense. I only saw it go down to 17g/chest, which is much better than fest currency, which halves in value in the middle of each elemental fest. That's why I sold all my chests at the start of the event, and opened them later. [*]The above is also assuming that you sell every egg you get! People often get eggs in NotN just to hatch them, which generally decreases their value a lot, and they understand and accept that. They just have different goals in the game, which is actually really important! FR's economy would not work at all if everyone wanted to do the same things- if no one wanted to buy strange chests, for example, who would you sell them to? I think that's a good general point, in the context of this thread. People value different things about the game, and that's actually a really good thing.[/LIST] (I compiled my experiences this past NotN in [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/81268045]Raven's[/url] bio. I got on average 17.3g per chest I sold, but I only got 8 eggs from opening 145 chests, which means an average value of 13.8g per chest at 250g egg LAH. I acknowledge that NotN in the past was definitely different, but I don't think that means it's horrible now- after all, I got over 6kg from just selling those chests.)
ThousandLights wrote:
And worst of all, they even ruined the quick money making of NotN, turning it more into yet another rng roulette of good luck getting eggs. You used to be able to sell 10 strange chests for 210 gems, now this year, it was at 160 gems, no longer as profitable as the chance of getting eggs. But what does that mean? WASTING EVEN MORE TIME.
@ThousandLights I did some math for this, and also just general thinking- feel free to correct me if I got anything wrong.
  • If you sell the eggs right after you get them for 200g each (I saw that this was the LAH for at least some part of NotN), you'll get an average value of 16g per chest, with the 8% egg drop rate. That's exactly the same as the selling 10 chests for 160g you mentioned.
  • Well, if you wait to sell the eggs until the LAH gets up to its max of 250g each, that gets you an average value of 20g per chest. However, I sold a bunch of chests this NotN, and at the beginning of the event, the LAH was up to 21g per chest. That's really not a huge difference.
  • In general, the LAH for strange chests changes throughout NotN. I found it very similar to the mechanics of fest currency, which makes a lot of sense. I only saw it go down to 17g/chest, which is much better than fest currency, which halves in value in the middle of each elemental fest. That's why I sold all my chests at the start of the event, and opened them later.
  • The above is also assuming that you sell every egg you get! People often get eggs in NotN just to hatch them, which generally decreases their value a lot, and they understand and accept that. They just have different goals in the game, which is actually really important! FR's economy would not work at all if everyone wanted to do the same things- if no one wanted to buy strange chests, for example, who would you sell them to? I think that's a good general point, in the context of this thread. People value different things about the game, and that's actually a really good thing.

(I compiled my experiences this past NotN in Raven's bio. I got on average 17.3g per chest I sold, but I only got 8 eggs from opening 145 chests, which means an average value of 13.8g per chest at 250g egg LAH. I acknowledge that NotN in the past was definitely different, but I don't think that means it's horrible now- after all, I got over 6kg from just selling those chests.)
A turquoise hatchery banner with orange text reading XYZs and More Hatchery. An f-pose Skydancer of the Birds of Paradise pair is placed to the left of the text.
River
they/them
nonbinary
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9