Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | An Apology for Beastclans on the Rise
1 2 ... 48 49 50 51 52 ... 65 66
I see one of my other posts was removed, oops ^ ^' sorry about that little bit of extra work, devs.

Anyway, again, really really appreciate this update and I look forward to whatever comes next :D
I see one of my other posts was removed, oops ^ ^' sorry about that little bit of extra work, devs.

Anyway, again, really really appreciate this update and I look forward to whatever comes next :D
> My tumblr
> My AO3
X
An angry-looking night elf woman with short green hair and a burn scar on her left cheek, looking to the viewer's right.A night elf woman with purple facial tattoos and purple hair, looking at the viewer with a confident smirk.
she/her | 18+ | FR+2 | brain full of night elves
>> Avatar
>> I love pings!
>> PixelZ, not PixelS!
xxxdont%20feed%20the%20ai.gif
Thank you staff for this! Thats all I really have to say, you dealt with this in an amazing way (imo) and it's refreshing to see people take accountability for past actions <3
Thank you staff for this! Thats all I really have to say, you dealt with this in an amazing way (imo) and it's refreshing to see people take accountability for past actions <3
434-Ga-ZA-1.png
Big salute to the mods for handling this thread. It's a lot, I salute your efforts.
Big salute to the mods for handling this thread. It's a lot, I salute your efforts.
Food? Food? FOOD!
tumblr_inline_o1jshi1q2F1rbazpx_250.png tumblr_ozbmajllGL1w8xkufo2_250.png
[quote name="Larimoor" date="2022-12-14 17:10:32" ] [quote name="sardines" date="2022-12-14 17:01:39" ] [quote name="Larimoor" date="2022-12-14 16:57:23" ] [quote name="sardines" date="2022-12-14 16:49:32" ] i will say, while i'm very glad for this update and happy to see how it's been handled overall... i'm not sure how to feel about the new familiars? maybe i'm just misunderstanding what the familiars are meant to be seen as, but i've always avoided using any of the beastclan familiars because of how weird it made me feel. it feels like i'm having my dragons keep them as pets, which is ... really, REALLY uncomfortable. but maybe i've just misunderstood what familiars are meant to be seen as...? i suppose since new familiars have been added with this update, that indicates there wasn't anything seen wrong with them when going back over things for this update, so maybe i'm just not on the same page as far as what familiars are meant to represent? i still probably won't use them mysel don't get me wrong, though--i am still really glad for this update and these changes, and it's really nice to see the team addressing this and handling it well aside form that imo! [/quote] You bring up a good point, especially considering Fiona's whole deal and some of her dialogue... "fantastical creatures" "beasties" etc. I'm assuming beastclans familiars are in her rotation too which does seem a biiiiiit uncomfortable..! [/quote] oh, that is a really fair point to consider that i hadn't even consciously thought of (though i think Fiona's whole deal is part of why i perceived them more as pets)... i do hope maybe they look at Fiona's dialogue following this update to hopefully eliminate some of that potential weirdness! [/quote] yeah i agree! I'm sure staff is keeping a close eye on this thread but just in case - @/Aequorin some food for thought! [/quote] I always thought of them (outside the context of my own lore) as companions or partners! Like a friend, or maybe a coworker. Fiona’s phrasing is a little weird in this situation, but Fiona is also a site function, not so much a lore facet (like the baldwin worries posted earlier in the thread- the problem proposed in which was already resolved long ago multiple times through different admin posts) and that likely wasn’t considered/wasn’t written with that intention during her development. If it was, we would see Beastclan members in her menagerie art. Edit: Also some of the familiars are objects, so I would assume that “familiar” is just an all-encompassing term (that does not need changing!). Also, to me, familiar insinuates an at least semi-sapient friend- like a witches familiar (like Salem from Sabrina maybe lol). While some of the familiars are obviously animals (like Hainu) some are objects (Deity statues/Sornieth globe) or sapient creatures who more so accompany the dragons as friends and companions, or conversational partners, or something or other.
Larimoor wrote on 2022-12-14 17:10:32:
sardines wrote on 2022-12-14 17:01:39:
Larimoor wrote on 2022-12-14 16:57:23:
sardines wrote on 2022-12-14 16:49:32:
i will say, while i'm very glad for this update and happy to see how it's been handled overall... i'm not sure how to feel about the new familiars?

maybe i'm just misunderstanding what the familiars are meant to be seen as, but i've always avoided using any of the beastclan familiars because of how weird it made me feel. it feels like i'm having my dragons keep them as pets, which is ... really, REALLY uncomfortable. but maybe i've just misunderstood what familiars are meant to be seen as...?

i suppose since new familiars have been added with this update, that indicates there wasn't anything seen wrong with them when going back over things for this update, so maybe i'm just not on the same page as far as what familiars are meant to represent? i still probably won't use them mysel

don't get me wrong, though--i am still really glad for this update and these changes, and it's really nice to see the team addressing this and handling it well aside form that imo!

You bring up a good point, especially considering Fiona's whole deal and some of her dialogue... "fantastical creatures" "beasties" etc. I'm assuming beastclans familiars are in her rotation too which does seem a biiiiiit uncomfortable..!
oh, that is a really fair point to consider that i hadn't even consciously thought of (though i think Fiona's whole deal is part of why i perceived them more as pets)... i do hope maybe they look at Fiona's dialogue following this update to hopefully eliminate some of that potential weirdness!

yeah i agree! I'm sure staff is keeping a close eye on this thread but just in case - @/Aequorin some food for thought!

I always thought of them (outside the context of my own lore) as companions or partners! Like a friend, or maybe a coworker. Fiona’s phrasing is a little weird in this situation, but Fiona is also a site function, not so much a lore facet (like the baldwin worries posted earlier in the thread- the problem proposed in which was already resolved long ago multiple times through different admin posts) and that likely wasn’t considered/wasn’t written with that intention during her development. If it was, we would see Beastclan members in her menagerie art.

Edit: Also some of the familiars are objects, so I would assume that “familiar” is just an all-encompassing term (that does not need changing!). Also, to me, familiar insinuates an at least semi-sapient friend- like a witches familiar (like Salem from Sabrina maybe lol). While some of the familiars are obviously animals (like Hainu) some are objects (Deity statues/Sornieth globe) or sapient creatures who more so accompany the dragons as friends and companions, or conversational partners, or something or other.
I feel like it's a little extreme to suggest that harpies never fight with dragons—or other beastclans, wild animals, etc—for territory (surely there has to be some sunny cliff in Wind that a local dragon clan, a local harpy flock, and a wild roc all keep chasing each other off of), but I'm very happy to see them doing so from a place of equality and stability, with plenty of non-military culture left over.

I think, also, this fits in better with the dragons' lore—as I pointed out in a tumblr post several years ago, I couldn't really reconcile "desperately driven out of their territory" vs, say, the pearlcatchers' cowardice and tendency to resolve disputes with architecture, or the coatls' habit of mollification first. (and, on problematic elements, the centaurs are genocidal?? I feel that's a pretty bad thing)

After all, for all the dark lore, FR tends to be a pretty chill site.
I feel like it's a little extreme to suggest that harpies never fight with dragons—or other beastclans, wild animals, etc—for territory (surely there has to be some sunny cliff in Wind that a local dragon clan, a local harpy flock, and a wild roc all keep chasing each other off of), but I'm very happy to see them doing so from a place of equality and stability, with plenty of non-military culture left over.

I think, also, this fits in better with the dragons' lore—as I pointed out in a tumblr post several years ago, I couldn't really reconcile "desperately driven out of their territory" vs, say, the pearlcatchers' cowardice and tendency to resolve disputes with architecture, or the coatls' habit of mollification first. (and, on problematic elements, the centaurs are genocidal?? I feel that's a pretty bad thing)

After all, for all the dark lore, FR tends to be a pretty chill site.
Still undercaffeinated.
[quote name="SpectralDragon" date="2022-12-14 17:20:01" ] Big salute to the mods for handling this thread. It's a lot, I salute your efforts. [/quote] Agreed the thread would be a [b]lot[/b] more chaotic without mods Little heart to mods and devs[emoji=heart size=1]
SpectralDragon wrote on 2022-12-14 17:20:01:
Agreed the thread would be a lot more chaotic without mods
Little heart to mods and devs
|Ello I'm Awoken, She/her, FR+8, I am a bunch of lizards in a coat, Profile dragon|
WyB8X7e.jpg
I'm glad we could snip out a lot of the implications and parallels of colonialism here, but what about the saboteur familiars? Now that the majority of dragons and beastclans are pretty much chill with each other, what's their issue? Is it just an oversight? [center][item= eye of talona][item=mistyhollow agent][item=dapplemane deceiver][/center]
I'm glad we could snip out a lot of the implications and parallels of colonialism here, but what about the saboteur familiars? Now that the majority of dragons and beastclans are pretty much chill with each other, what's their issue? Is it just an oversight?
Eye of Talona Mistyhollow Agent Dapplemane Deceiver
gothorita.gif
[quote name="DeathbyPixelz" date="2022-12-14 17:19:12" ] I see one of my other posts was removed, oops ^ ^' sorry about that little bit of extra work, devs. [/quote] I strongly suggest folks report and not engage with posts that use dog whistles and/or inflammatory framing. [emoji=fae deadpan size=1] (@DeathbyPixelz)
DeathbyPixelz wrote on 2022-12-14 17:19:12:

I strongly suggest folks report and not engage with posts that use dog whistles and/or inflammatory framing.

(@DeathbyPixelz)
[columns]I am going to collect[nextcol][item=Harpy Artisan][nextcol]and no one can stop me.[/columns] Thank your for your awesome work mods & devs, it's a nice change to see people own up to their mistakes <3 (< twitter user [emoji=skull size=1])
I am going to collect Harpy Artisan and no one can stop me.

Thank your for your awesome work mods & devs, it's a nice change to see people own up to their mistakes <3
(< twitter user )
LEpJMnn.png
cSKe1Cn.png
Nl4iYBG.png
XmHV7tO.png
Wn6vGC1.png
JvUa9ma.png
Jokester71.gif
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gifAdopt Shop
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gifHatchery
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gifLooking For
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gifWishlist
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gifMy Art Dump
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gifCurrent Icon
Multiple posts have been removed for being unconstructive, inflammatory, or would otherwise lead to escalating conflict within the thread. Posts that quoted or replied to them were also removed. Please do not engage with these posts. Report them, please.

I'm also going to reiterate that these changes are made by us, of our own free will, after education, reflection, and discussion. We are not being forced to make this change. Thank you!
Multiple posts have been removed for being unconstructive, inflammatory, or would otherwise lead to escalating conflict within the thread. Posts that quoted or replied to them were also removed. Please do not engage with these posts. Report them, please.

I'm also going to reiterate that these changes are made by us, of our own free will, after education, reflection, and discussion. We are not being forced to make this change. Thank you!
1 2 ... 48 49 50 51 52 ... 65 66