Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Dev Update: Achievements & Anniversary
1 2 ... 33 34 35 36 37 ... 41 42
All aboard the hype train! I thought NoTN would be the only I am looking forward to, but now I have something amazing to look forward to after NoTN.
All aboard the hype train! I thought NoTN would be the only I am looking forward to, but now I have something amazing to look forward to after NoTN.
Y02PS6v.png
????
????
pSqt2he.pngYjsuzHO.pnglvnVULi.pngZwwIRzh.png
Exciting! I love achievements in games, and I look forward to getting an improved (and less buggy) achievement system for the anniversary!
Exciting! I love achievements in games, and I look forward to getting an improved (and less buggy) achievement system for the anniversary!
jCVhFoZ.gif
Thank you for the update. I'm looking forward to the launch! <3
Thank you for the update. I'm looking forward to the launch! <3
v1c0g2x.pnglUVfG4b.png7GZL67L.png
Former Windie! Plague 4 Lyfe!!

I'm nonbinary! My pronouns are:
They/Them/Theirs

10ttDG2.pngXC93sMs.pngtn0RSo5.pnge4Povii.pngH0t7Ypl.pngPgv53XB.png
[quote name="Veyo" date="2022-12-12 17:20:38" ] This looks interesting-ish, but it begs the question. Is the campaign mode plan completely dead now? I wish we could have something like that as opposed to this development. [/quote] I can tell you unequivocally: the campaign (aka "Adventure Mode") is not dead.
Veyo wrote on 2022-12-12 17:20:38:
This looks interesting-ish, but it begs the question. Is the campaign mode plan completely dead now? I wish we could have something like that as opposed to this development.

I can tell you unequivocally: the campaign (aka "Adventure Mode") is not dead.
Flight Rising Developer
Project Management | Engineering Team Cheerleader | UI Designer
Will the achievements have to be "activated" first before you do the task? Like can I play all day normally, and then visit the achievements page to collect rewards for what I've done?

Or if I forget to "start" them, will the whole day be for naught?
Will the achievements have to be "activated" first before you do the task? Like can I play all day normally, and then visit the achievements page to collect rewards for what I've done?

Or if I forget to "start" them, will the whole day be for naught?
grQU96J.png
[quote name="Admers" date="2022-12-13 06:47:20" ] Question: Will players have to actively collect the currency by going to a certain page or clicking a button, or will it accumulate automatically as they complete tasks? I hope the later. [/quote] By design, achievements and pursuits will need to be manually "claimed" once their objective criteria have been met. The main reasons for this are threefold: [LIST=1] [*][b]Optimization[/b]: it is very difficult to build an automated achievements system for a project like ours that is performant and doesn't affect your browsing experience in a negative way. We tried it that way in the legacy system and encountered a lot of issues with achievement toasts not appearing (or appearing late at nearly the same time you might be browsing away from your current page). In order to generate those toasts, the website would have to run a staggering number of queries to validate achievements relative to that page, which was an upkeep and performance nightmare. If any of those queries stalled, it would prevent gameplay elements from ever loading. Not good! By requiring visitation to the achievements/pursuits page(s), those heavy queries are sequestered there, and because players will be visiting at random offset times from one another, it spreads the load and doesn't bring the site to its knees. And that is...obviously not good! [*][b]System Reinforcement/Familiarization[/b]: We think it's important (especially for newer players) to navigate them to the place where their achievements and pursuits live in order to claim the rewards for them. This helps reinforce usage of the feature and remind them how it works. [*][b]Control[/b]: Claiming rewards manually also lends itself to players definitively knowing what and what isn't complete, and allowing them to see their point and currency totals increasing. This validation can significantly reduce confusion. [/LIST]
Admers wrote on 2022-12-13 06:47:20:
Question:
Will players have to actively collect the currency by going to a certain page or clicking a button, or will it accumulate automatically as they complete tasks?

I hope the later.

By design, achievements and pursuits will need to be manually "claimed" once their objective criteria have been met. The main reasons for this are threefold:
  1. Optimization: it is very difficult to build an automated achievements system for a project like ours that is performant and doesn't affect your browsing experience in a negative way. We tried it that way in the legacy system and encountered a lot of issues with achievement toasts not appearing (or appearing late at nearly the same time you might be browsing away from your current page). In order to generate those toasts, the website would have to run a staggering number of queries to validate achievements relative to that page, which was an upkeep and performance nightmare. If any of those queries stalled, it would prevent gameplay elements from ever loading. Not good! By requiring visitation to the achievements/pursuits page(s), those heavy queries are sequestered there, and because players will be visiting at random offset times from one another, it spreads the load and doesn't bring the site to its knees. And that is...obviously not good!
  2. System Reinforcement/Familiarization: We think it's important (especially for newer players) to navigate them to the place where their achievements and pursuits live in order to claim the rewards for them. This helps reinforce usage of the feature and remind them how it works.
  3. Control: Claiming rewards manually also lends itself to players definitively knowing what and what isn't complete, and allowing them to see their point and currency totals increasing. This validation can significantly reduce confusion.
Flight Rising Developer
Hopefully i can continue to unlock some more achievements you guys removed them last year but you told us that you kept are achievement progress so ill be nice to have them back soon i will be able to see how much treasure familiars gems dragons and achievements i have all 5 of them good news to here about them coming back
Hopefully i can continue to unlock some more achievements you guys removed them last year but you told us that you kept are achievement progress so ill be nice to have them back soon i will be able to see how much treasure familiars gems dragons and achievements i have all 5 of them good news to here about them coming back
[quote name="CatInDisguise" date="2022-12-13 00:55:20" ] Super excited for the return!! Question - are the currents going to be clan-locked, or will they be tradable? [/quote] The achievement currency will be an account-level value like treasure and gems and the current plan is that it will be shown up in the top-right player module, replacing the icon and value that show your clan's dragon count. Those of you that have been around for awhile may remember that this is where achievement [i]point[/i] totals used to live, so we're more or less returning it to that slot. A couple caveats: [LIST] [*]The achievement [i]currency[/i] total will only show privately to you. [*]In the forums and on your Clan Profile (just below your avatar), your achievement [i]points[/i] total will be visible to other players. [/LIST]
CatInDisguise wrote on 2022-12-13 00:55:20:
Super excited for the return!! Question - are the currents going to be clan-locked, or will they be tradable?

The achievement currency will be an account-level value like treasure and gems and the current plan is that it will be shown up in the top-right player module, replacing the icon and value that show your clan's dragon count. Those of you that have been around for awhile may remember that this is where achievement point totals used to live, so we're more or less returning it to that slot.

A couple caveats:
  • The achievement currency total will only show privately to you.
  • In the forums and on your Clan Profile (just below your avatar), your achievement points total will be visible to other players.
Flight Rising Developer
[quote name="Starcloud" date="2022-12-13 11:58:07" ] Like can I play all day normally, and then visit the achievements page to collect rewards for what I've done? [/quote] Yes - this is exactly how we want the system to be. You shouldn't need to "start" or "activate" anything. Just play!
Starcloud wrote on 2022-12-13 11:58:07:
Like can I play all day normally, and then visit the achievements page to collect rewards for what I've done?

Yes - this is exactly how we want the system to be. You shouldn't need to "start" or "activate" anything. Just play!
Flight Rising Developer
1 2 ... 33 34 35 36 37 ... 41 42