Back

Help Center

Ask questions and help others in this forum.
TOPIC | NOTN and halo prices?
Hi!! This may be a bit of an obscure question, but as I was interested in collecting some of the fake bear familiars that came out during NOTN, as well as some of the halos, I couldn't help but notice the very odd trend in pricing. For the bears, oddly enough the original familiars, which are older, are much less expensive than the fake bears. I'm a bit confused by this, since I had presumed the older, the more expensive and desirable. Especially since they're rather close in design, and for some of them the aesthetic differences aren't very noticable. I'm very new, so I may just be missing something that is blatantly obvious here, but I'm very confused on this topic. Why are the fake NOTN bears more expensive than the original fest bears?

On the same topic, I was scrolling through festival auras and halos, and a very odd trend I've noticed is the huge price gap in the prcing of halos on the AH. The plague, ice, water, and shadow halos are all roughly 300-400g on average, with the wind and arcane ones being maybe 400-500g, a small difference likely due to aesthetics. But when discussing with my friend, I was incredibly shocked to find out that the light halo they had purchased was 1000g+. I really cannot wrap my head around this. All the halos were released in the same year, during their respective festivals/holidays, if I'm understanding correctly? And while I do understand a 100-200g gap due to a majority of the communites aesthetic preferences, I do not understand a gap upwards of 500-600g, that only seems to apply to the light clans halo.

Does anyone have an explaination for that? Again, I'm new so some very obvious/important details may just be flying over my head here, but what excuses such a large gap in pricing? Even now on the AH, the lowest halo is the nature flights halo, at 120g, yet the cheapest luminous halo you can buy at the moment is 1605g. Even if we put ourselves in the middle, the second most expensive halo is 1550g, for a contaminated halo, though you can buy it for cheaper at 173g, which if we used that data to say that, currently on the AH, the light halo is the highest priced halo, with plague behind it, if we were to compare the listings of the cheapest plague halo and the cheapest light halo, that leaves a gap of 1432g. To me, that is just not even understandable, so I'm just very confused by this extreme jump in pricing. If anyone could please explaiin this to me, I'd be very appreciative. So sorry for the wall of text.
Hi!! This may be a bit of an obscure question, but as I was interested in collecting some of the fake bear familiars that came out during NOTN, as well as some of the halos, I couldn't help but notice the very odd trend in pricing. For the bears, oddly enough the original familiars, which are older, are much less expensive than the fake bears. I'm a bit confused by this, since I had presumed the older, the more expensive and desirable. Especially since they're rather close in design, and for some of them the aesthetic differences aren't very noticable. I'm very new, so I may just be missing something that is blatantly obvious here, but I'm very confused on this topic. Why are the fake NOTN bears more expensive than the original fest bears?

On the same topic, I was scrolling through festival auras and halos, and a very odd trend I've noticed is the huge price gap in the prcing of halos on the AH. The plague, ice, water, and shadow halos are all roughly 300-400g on average, with the wind and arcane ones being maybe 400-500g, a small difference likely due to aesthetics. But when discussing with my friend, I was incredibly shocked to find out that the light halo they had purchased was 1000g+. I really cannot wrap my head around this. All the halos were released in the same year, during their respective festivals/holidays, if I'm understanding correctly? And while I do understand a 100-200g gap due to a majority of the communites aesthetic preferences, I do not understand a gap upwards of 500-600g, that only seems to apply to the light clans halo.

Does anyone have an explaination for that? Again, I'm new so some very obvious/important details may just be flying over my head here, but what excuses such a large gap in pricing? Even now on the AH, the lowest halo is the nature flights halo, at 120g, yet the cheapest luminous halo you can buy at the moment is 1605g. Even if we put ourselves in the middle, the second most expensive halo is 1550g, for a contaminated halo, though you can buy it for cheaper at 173g, which if we used that data to say that, currently on the AH, the light halo is the highest priced halo, with plague behind it, if we were to compare the listings of the cheapest plague halo and the cheapest light halo, that leaves a gap of 1432g. To me, that is just not even understandable, so I'm just very confused by this extreme jump in pricing. If anyone could please explaiin this to me, I'd be very appreciative. So sorry for the wall of text.
7zcCDc4.png
@piropaws

There's nothing obvious you're missing, it just comes down to history and aesthetic trends.

For the bears, it's entirely possible there's actually a greater supply of the elemental holiday bears. When the bears came out, everyone (myself included) assumed that they would be fully retired, just like the sprites, and stocked up to resell later. Their inclusion in NotN was a rude surprise.

Strange Chests functioned very differently during the first NotN than they do today - they were relatively common drops, but usually contained very little, just a handful of the holiday food, and only occasionally familiars (or eggs/scrolls). There was a fair bit of site lag just from everyone opening chests and using the Coliseum, which made it hard to play. It was kind of a rough holiday.

Basically the recolors were possibly harder to get than the originals, especially in the first year of NotN. It's been a couple years though, so I might be misremembering, and I definitely can't remember how the second one went...

It's also possible people like the look of the recolored bears better than the originals. I actually prefer them.

As for halos, it really does just come down to how they look. The light halo is very generic and works with very popular "angelic" aesthetics, not just Light-theme, while the other halos are pretty specific to the flight theme.
@piropaws

There's nothing obvious you're missing, it just comes down to history and aesthetic trends.

For the bears, it's entirely possible there's actually a greater supply of the elemental holiday bears. When the bears came out, everyone (myself included) assumed that they would be fully retired, just like the sprites, and stocked up to resell later. Their inclusion in NotN was a rude surprise.

Strange Chests functioned very differently during the first NotN than they do today - they were relatively common drops, but usually contained very little, just a handful of the holiday food, and only occasionally familiars (or eggs/scrolls). There was a fair bit of site lag just from everyone opening chests and using the Coliseum, which made it hard to play. It was kind of a rough holiday.

Basically the recolors were possibly harder to get than the originals, especially in the first year of NotN. It's been a couple years though, so I might be misremembering, and I definitely can't remember how the second one went...

It's also possible people like the look of the recolored bears better than the originals. I actually prefer them.

As for halos, it really does just come down to how they look. The light halo is very generic and works with very popular "angelic" aesthetics, not just Light-theme, while the other halos are pretty specific to the flight theme.
@piropaws
while I'm not sure about the bears (I think it's because they used to be so common that people threw them into the cauldron, before they became rare again), I do have an answer for the haloes!
simply put, the haloes were released very early in the site's existence, during the elemental festival. the Light festival is the first in the sequence. people didn't have the foresight to stock up on Light haloes (and may have believed they would return the next year). you'll see that the further you get into the sequence, the cheaper the haloes generally become - more people have them! also Light Halo is a very desirable aesthetic which creates more demand, the supply is already lower, the result is ridiculous inflation.
@piropaws
while I'm not sure about the bears (I think it's because they used to be so common that people threw them into the cauldron, before they became rare again), I do have an answer for the haloes!
simply put, the haloes were released very early in the site's existence, during the elemental festival. the Light festival is the first in the sequence. people didn't have the foresight to stock up on Light haloes (and may have believed they would return the next year). you'll see that the further you get into the sequence, the cheaper the haloes generally become - more people have them! also Light Halo is a very desirable aesthetic which creates more demand, the supply is already lower, the result is ridiculous inflation.
Imagining dragons...

Lucky - HxcMlGn.png - JrEJc4j.png
fanfiction writer and chronic daydreamer - uPNWHgD.png

EHXIkb0.png
@piropaws
The halos are simple - the most popular ones are the most expensive.

The bears have a bit of an odd history. They were the first fest fam set to not be retired, which resulted in both them and the recolours dropping from NotN chests early on. While I can't say for sure, it's possible that is a combo of people preferring the recolours plus there being more of the original bears - since people bought them during the feats as well as getting them from chests.
@piropaws
The halos are simple - the most popular ones are the most expensive.

The bears have a bit of an odd history. They were the first fest fam set to not be retired, which resulted in both them and the recolours dropping from NotN chests early on. While I can't say for sure, it's possible that is a combo of people preferring the recolours plus there being more of the original bears - since people bought them during the feats as well as getting them from chests.
jYPBXj5.png4RsuN8b.pngMXNV32c.pngS7EiNKy.png
@Kasael

Now that makes sense!! I haven't been around for any NOTN, ROR is the first and only fest I've experienced so far, so I didn't even think about how there must be a surplus of the first bears, after everyone stocked up, and then they came back. Thank you for the explanation. And I guess that, plus aesthetics, really does dictate a lot. I agree that some of the recolors are definitely very beautiful. Thank you for the explanation!! Seems like the first NOTN had a lot going on!! That definitely helps to explain the odd and wonky pricing. Thank you so much for your response and time!!
@Kasael

Now that makes sense!! I haven't been around for any NOTN, ROR is the first and only fest I've experienced so far, so I didn't even think about how there must be a surplus of the first bears, after everyone stocked up, and then they came back. Thank you for the explanation. And I guess that, plus aesthetics, really does dictate a lot. I agree that some of the recolors are definitely very beautiful. Thank you for the explanation!! Seems like the first NOTN had a lot going on!! That definitely helps to explain the odd and wonky pricing. Thank you so much for your response and time!!
7zcCDc4.png
@LouckyKoneko

With that background information, I can defiinitely understand why there may be some uncertainty in terms of what items/familiars/etc would be returning, and which would not!! Seems like thats what happended to the bears as well. Thank you for your time and your response!!
@LouckyKoneko

With that background information, I can defiinitely understand why there may be some uncertainty in terms of what items/familiars/etc would be returning, and which would not!! Seems like thats what happended to the bears as well. Thank you for your time and your response!!
7zcCDc4.png
@Vendrus

As much as I understand that aesthetics, and therefore popularity, tend to be at the forefront of how people price things on the market, I suppose I just cannot understand how there can be a gap of 1400g+, for just the luminous halo. Above all though, I find it hard to believe people pay those prices, but I suppose here we are. As for the bears, I guess it was just an odd time, with a mix of unexpected returning familiars, and well, basically just recolors. I love both sets of bears, so I was just wondering, is one set widely regarded by the community as "better" than another, or does it really boil down to personal preference? Thank you for taking the time to write a response to me!!
@Vendrus

As much as I understand that aesthetics, and therefore popularity, tend to be at the forefront of how people price things on the market, I suppose I just cannot understand how there can be a gap of 1400g+, for just the luminous halo. Above all though, I find it hard to believe people pay those prices, but I suppose here we are. As for the bears, I guess it was just an odd time, with a mix of unexpected returning familiars, and well, basically just recolors. I love both sets of bears, so I was just wondering, is one set widely regarded by the community as "better" than another, or does it really boil down to personal preference? Thank you for taking the time to write a response to me!!
7zcCDc4.png
[quote name="Kasael" date="2022-11-05 11:59:46" ] For the bears, it's entirely possible there's actually a greater supply of the elemental holiday bears. When the bears came out, everyone (myself included) assumed that they would be fully retired, just like the sprites, and stocked up to resell later. Their inclusion in NotN was a rude surprise. [/quote] Not quite true :D There was a poll done on whether or not the bears were going to retire and the playerbase at the time decided that they should return every year in a 'December event' which was unknown at the time but turned out to be NotN :D The poll is gone but the thread is here: https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/1106788 And the Brightshine 2014 thread mentioning that the bears weren't going to retire: https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/ann/1114557 The poll was released fairly close to the start of Brightshine so it's likely that some users didn't know about it or the results at the time. And they were definitely much easier to get during NotN than was planned which didn't help with their value.
Kasael wrote on 2022-11-05 11:59:46:

Not quite true :D There was a poll done on whether or not the bears were going to retire and the playerbase at the time decided that they should return every year in a 'December event' which was unknown at the time but turned out to be NotN :D
The poll is gone but the thread is here: https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/1106788
And the Brightshine 2014 thread mentioning that the bears weren't going to retire: https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/ann/1114557
The poll was released fairly close to the start of Brightshine so it's likely that some users didn't know about it or the results at the time. And they were definitely much easier to get during NotN than was planned which didn't help with their value.
cg2G1xD.gif
tumblr_inline_ngqv6bbPaQ1rvrguk.pngtumblr_inline_n1581tzliY1rvrguk.png
@piropaws
The light aesthetic is incredibly popular. Phenomenally popular. Golden halos and 'biblically correct' angels make up a hefty proportion of popular skins, and the light halo fed directly into that.

There's also the effect of people not realising how good they were until later (or not realising they were a good investment opportunity), so later months had a much greater supply.

Glad I could help =)
@piropaws
The light aesthetic is incredibly popular. Phenomenally popular. Golden halos and 'biblically correct' angels make up a hefty proportion of popular skins, and the light halo fed directly into that.

There's also the effect of people not realising how good they were until later (or not realising they were a good investment opportunity), so later months had a much greater supply.

Glad I could help =)
jYPBXj5.png4RsuN8b.pngMXNV32c.pngS7EiNKy.png
@Lonin I had a look at the old threads and the announcements. This gave me a good chuckle:

"Skydancer and Coatl dragons no longer shrink when bred".

I joined in 2015 and I remember every time I thought I had things figured out they changed

@Lonin I had a look at the old threads and the announcements. This gave me a good chuckle:

"Skydancer and Coatl dragons no longer shrink when bred".

I joined in 2015 and I remember every time I thought I had things figured out they changed