Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Opinions on tone indicators?
1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Honestly I don't use them much since I found that emojis do the same thing but if someone wants me to use them I probably would use them
Honestly I don't use them much since I found that emojis do the same thing but if someone wants me to use them I probably would use them
|Ello I'm Awoken, She/her, FR+8, I am a bunch of lizards in a coat, Profile dragon|
WyB8X7e.jpg
i personally need tone indicators,, im terrible at reading tone (even irl) and just having them makes communication so much easier for me

people can just suck sometimes,, i personally feel like it isnt and shouldnt be too much asking to help better accommodate someone (u say) u care about,, but some people just wont do it

ofc its not necessary to know all of them (i dont even know all of them afdisgjknf) but the basic ones are just such a huge help and make it less stressful for me to talk to someone,, something im sure is a very commonly shared experience between people who do need them to better and more easily communicate w others
i personally need tone indicators,, im terrible at reading tone (even irl) and just having them makes communication so much easier for me

people can just suck sometimes,, i personally feel like it isnt and shouldnt be too much asking to help better accommodate someone (u say) u care about,, but some people just wont do it

ofc its not necessary to know all of them (i dont even know all of them afdisgjknf) but the basic ones are just such a huge help and make it less stressful for me to talk to someone,, something im sure is a very commonly shared experience between people who do need them to better and more easily communicate w others
UXZITgr.pnggC4M6ke.pngbYt72YT.pngY3tHz6g.pngmlHpBMC.png5hF3FGk.pngrix3ppo.pngnoHmDvU.png
I use them in some circles and don't use them in others, I honestly think they're super valuable and can be a huge help. Whether it's because you don't know people well (i.e. I joke a lot, but want to make sure people know that) or if you know someone in your group doesn't read tone as well, it's awesome.
I use them in some circles and don't use them in others, I honestly think they're super valuable and can be a huge help. Whether it's because you don't know people well (i.e. I joke a lot, but want to make sure people know that) or if you know someone in your group doesn't read tone as well, it's awesome.
GhbEbuY.png
INFJ | He/Him | Web + Graphic Designer

Hi! I'm Doglike. I like napping, tea, and plants
nature.gif
I sometimes use them, mainly it's /j that I use since sometimes my jokes wouldn't seem like jokes with the tone it's written in, I know some tone indicators very well while others? Some others confuse, mainly the one used for general questions as I have zero idea what a general question is..Sort of.
I sometimes use them, mainly it's /j that I use since sometimes my jokes wouldn't seem like jokes with the tone it's written in, I know some tone indicators very well while others? Some others confuse, mainly the one used for general questions as I have zero idea what a general question is..Sort of.
DxCICZ1.png
Z2soOA2.png
apUeZZ4.png
5hF3FGk.png
BzjAkuF.png
w8o0xW1.png LJfZA40.png
lAvpyOQ.png
FObX7rS.png
T0lT2WO.png
i mostly only use /srs, /j, /s and /gen, to me it wasn't a big change bc i already saw a lot of people use /s before the other ones were invented
i think they can be useful in some situations and i appreciate them, but in some situations it isn't needed (because the tone is already indicated in the sentence itself), or they don't really change things? if that makes sense, like if someone makes an offensive joke and puts /j at the end it's still offensive even if its a joke
i mostly only use /srs, /j, /s and /gen, to me it wasn't a big change bc i already saw a lot of people use /s before the other ones were invented
i think they can be useful in some situations and i appreciate them, but in some situations it isn't needed (because the tone is already indicated in the sentence itself), or they don't really change things? if that makes sense, like if someone makes an offensive joke and puts /j at the end it's still offensive even if its a joke
If someone needs them, I'll use them when speaking to that person. It won't do me any harm, and I'm happy to do what's most comfortable for them! I know how stressful misunderstandings or misinterpretations can be for all of us.

Though I am autistic myself, I quite dislike when people use them in conversations with me - I know the original intent isn't to seem patronizing, so it's probably just because I'm insecure lol.
If someone needs them, I'll use them when speaking to that person. It won't do me any harm, and I'm happy to do what's most comfortable for them! I know how stressful misunderstandings or misinterpretations can be for all of us.

Though I am autistic myself, I quite dislike when people use them in conversations with me - I know the original intent isn't to seem patronizing, so it's probably just because I'm insecure lol.
I think tone indicators are great, and I'm surprised that in the Internet Age they weren't introduced sooner or more widespread. So much harm is caused by miscommunication, and I think the inconvenience of having to look up an unknown tone indicator outweighs the risk of things being taken incorrectly. I'm still trying to learn more tone indicators and usually end up using them when it seems most intuitive to (when it seems like my words could very easily be misinterpreted), but overall I really like the concept and think they should become normalized.
I think tone indicators are great, and I'm surprised that in the Internet Age they weren't introduced sooner or more widespread. So much harm is caused by miscommunication, and I think the inconvenience of having to look up an unknown tone indicator outweighs the risk of things being taken incorrectly. I'm still trying to learn more tone indicators and usually end up using them when it seems most intuitive to (when it seems like my words could very easily be misinterpreted), but overall I really like the concept and think they should become normalized.
Waiting 24/7 for death's sweet release (of their next hot mixtape of course)
I do feel like they can be a little overused, since I’ve seen people who ask every time for a indicator and it feels a bit condescending, if not rude. Sure, I know some people can struggle with depicting tone (I’m autistic, but I’m usually pretty okay with tones) and then again, indicators are helpful. But if people go in using it every sentence or constantly asking for them, I feel like I’m being a bit mocked. Not just me, me and all the other people who struggle with tone. Just because people can benefit from tone, doesn’t mean you have to use it every single time. I use tone myself, pretty much only /j to not sound aggressive. Just.. don’t overdo it. [i]I worded this terribly—[/i] Edit: [quote name="ethyria" date="2022-11-04 15:39:02" ] If someone needs them, I'll use them when speaking to that person. It won't do me any harm, and I'm happy to do what's most comfortable for them! I know how stressful misunderstandings or misinterpretations can be for all of us. Though I am autistic myself, I quite dislike when people use them in conversations with me - I know the original intent isn't to seem patronizing, so it's probably just because I'm insecure lol. [/quote] This.
I do feel like they can be a little overused, since I’ve seen people who ask every time for a indicator and it feels a bit condescending, if not rude.

Sure, I know some people can struggle with depicting tone (I’m autistic, but I’m usually pretty okay with tones) and then again, indicators are helpful. But if people go in using it every sentence or constantly asking for them, I feel like I’m being a bit mocked. Not just me, me and all the other people who struggle with tone.

Just because people can benefit from tone, doesn’t mean you have to use it every single time. I use tone myself, pretty much only /j to not sound aggressive. Just.. don’t overdo it. I worded this terribly—

Edit:
ethyria wrote on 2022-11-04 15:39:02:

This.
im starting a common minnow collection. send me your minnows.
100.png25764.png100.png
[quote name="Liondyi" date="2022-11-04 18:28:16" ] I do feel like they can be a little overused, since I’ve seen people who ask every time for a indicator and it feels a bit condescending, if not rude. Sure, I know some people can struggle with depicting tone (I’m autistic, but I’m usually pretty okay with tones) and then again, indicators are helpful. But if people go in using it every sentence or constantly asking for them, I feel like I’m being a bit mocked. Not just me, me and all the other people who struggle with tone. Just because people can benefit from tone, doesn’t mean you have to use it every single time. I use tone myself, pretty much only /j to not sound aggressive. Just.. don’t overdo it. [i]I worded this terribly—[/i] Edit: [quote name="ethyria" date="2022-11-04 15:39:02" ] If someone needs them, I'll use them when speaking to that person. It won't do me any harm, and I'm happy to do what's most comfortable for them! I know how stressful misunderstandings or misinterpretations can be for all of us. Though I am autistic myself, I quite dislike when people use them in conversations with me - I know the original intent isn't to seem patronizing, so it's probably just because I'm insecure lol. [/quote] This. [/quote] was struggling to get ur point but yes i understand and i agree, i feel like some people request or use them mockingly and it really gets on my nerves as someone who genuinely needs them :/ like u can ask for them ofc and i will always respect that as someone who also needs them but w some people u can tell they are asking w ill intent it makes me sad to see them misused or mocked
Liondyi wrote on 2022-11-04 18:28:16:
I do feel like they can be a little overused, since I’ve seen people who ask every time for a indicator and it feels a bit condescending, if not rude.

Sure, I know some people can struggle with depicting tone (I’m autistic, but I’m usually pretty okay with tones) and then again, indicators are helpful. But if people go in using it every sentence or constantly asking for them, I feel like I’m being a bit mocked. Not just me, me and all the other people who struggle with tone.

Just because people can benefit from tone, doesn’t mean you have to use it every single time. I use tone myself, pretty much only /j to not sound aggressive. Just.. don’t overdo it. I worded this terribly—

Edit:
ethyria wrote on 2022-11-04 15:39:02:

This.

was struggling to get ur point but yes i understand and i agree, i feel like some people request or use them mockingly and it really gets on my nerves as someone who genuinely needs them :/ like u can ask for them ofc and i will always respect that as someone who also needs them but w some people u can tell they are asking w ill intent

it makes me sad to see them misused or mocked
UXZITgr.pnggC4M6ke.pngbYt72YT.pngY3tHz6g.pngmlHpBMC.png5hF3FGk.pngrix3ppo.pngnoHmDvU.png
I will only use them if asked.

I also have a hard time conveying and interpreting tone, but isn't it easier to just ask if you're unsure?

The people who go /nm /lh /j for every sentence no matter how unremarkable their remark are condescending for me. Besides, it's just as easy interpreting everything as neutral or joking, as that's how seriously you should take the internet in general.
I will only use them if asked.

I also have a hard time conveying and interpreting tone, but isn't it easier to just ask if you're unsure?

The people who go /nm /lh /j for every sentence no matter how unremarkable their remark are condescending for me. Besides, it's just as easy interpreting everything as neutral or joking, as that's how seriously you should take the internet in general.

One day, will these too become but distant memories?
. . .
Yes, in the blink of an eye.

1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14