Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Why Unnamed?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13
[quote name="@Mouette" date="2022-05-27 22:19:34" ] Right, but what's "not immediately" for you? Because that somebody would buy a dragon and not INSTANTLY name them is more than understandable, you want to give it some thought, but wouldn't a few days be enough for that? [/quote] mmm.. nope. i have to come up with lore first, since i like my dragons' names to be theme-fitting, which of course takes a while - from geneing to dressing to actually thinking up a personality and a backstory and then, finally, a fitting name. i dont see the problem with letting dragons sit unnamed until youre ready, and even then, you dont have to name them [i]ever[/i] if you dont want to.
@Mouette wrote on 2022-05-27 22:19:34:
Right, but what's "not immediately" for you? Because that somebody would buy a dragon and not INSTANTLY name them is more than understandable, you want to give it some thought, but wouldn't a few days be enough for that?

mmm.. nope. i have to come up with lore first, since i like my dragons' names to be theme-fitting, which of course takes a while - from geneing to dressing to actually thinking up a personality and a backstory and then, finally, a fitting name.

i dont see the problem with letting dragons sit unnamed until youre ready, and even then, you dont have to name them ever if you dont want to.
e6rKuT7.png
zephyrus · he/they · frt + 0

im autistic, so my tone come off as
more aggressive than i mean to be ^^;
I have a dragon I'm not ever planning to name. Unnamed fits their lore. If I exalt them, likely I will name and level them, but honestly not before then.

People have bought dragons from me and exalted them unnamed. I didn't like it, so I would never do it to anyone else.

Naming your dragons before you sell them solves a lot of heartache if that matters to you.
I have a dragon I'm not ever planning to name. Unnamed fits their lore. If I exalt them, likely I will name and level them, but honestly not before then.

People have bought dragons from me and exalted them unnamed. I didn't like it, so I would never do it to anyone else.

Naming your dragons before you sell them solves a lot of heartache if that matters to you.
Silver Pocketwatch Copper Pocketwatch
[quote name="Mouette" date="2022-05-27 22:20:27" ] @/LuminAgricola Ohh, so basically sometimes you're waiting for a "set" to name them both together? [/quote] @Mouette No, sorry, I phrased that ambiguously. The dragons I had before are named. One of the dragons I bought is already named. But another four are not yet named, and so far I haven't thought about what to name them. I'll probably do it when I get round to putting them on nests. A relevant factor in my case is the sheer number of dragons I've named in the past. I currently have 650 dragons in my lair and den, almost all of which either hatched in my lair or were bought unnamed, so I needed to name them myself. I've exalted another 1218, none of which were bought or hatched to be fodder, so they've each had an individual name too, most of which I gave them. And except for a couple of times when I did it by accident, there have been no duplicates. So that's a lot of names I've already used. It doesn't take a huge amount of effort to come up with others, but it does mean I have to actively think about it. So if I haven't turned my mind to it yet, they stay unnamed until I do.
Mouette wrote on 2022-05-27 22:20:27:
@/LuminAgricola Ohh, so basically sometimes you're waiting for a "set" to name them both together?

@Mouette

No, sorry, I phrased that ambiguously. The dragons I had before are named. One of the dragons I bought is already named. But another four are not yet named, and so far I haven't thought about what to name them. I'll probably do it when I get round to putting them on nests.

A relevant factor in my case is the sheer number of dragons I've named in the past.

I currently have 650 dragons in my lair and den, almost all of which either hatched in my lair or were bought unnamed, so I needed to name them myself. I've exalted another 1218, none of which were bought or hatched to be fodder, so they've each had an individual name too, most of which I gave them. And except for a couple of times when I did it by accident, there have been no duplicates.

So that's a lot of names I've already used. It doesn't take a huge amount of effort to come up with others, but it does mean I have to actively think about it. So if I haven't turned my mind to it yet, they stay unnamed until I do.
tumblr_inline_nhxp29cBNA1qcphlu.png
Buying an additional apparel slot
unlocks it for ALL your dragons,
not just one!
Names are hard, plus I usually don't name a dragon until I have an idea of the lore I want to give it - which comes after geneing them and dressing them.

I have exactly one dragon who is Unnamed for lore purposes though. Their name in lore changes every time it's said, and rather than shell out on renaming scrolls no one will notice, Unnamed seemed a better way of communicating that mystery.
Names are hard, plus I usually don't name a dragon until I have an idea of the lore I want to give it - which comes after geneing them and dressing them.

I have exactly one dragon who is Unnamed for lore purposes though. Their name in lore changes every time it's said, and rather than shell out on renaming scrolls no one will notice, Unnamed seemed a better way of communicating that mystery.
Book of Eldritch Horror
-Recall/Lucius/Michael
-He/They, +8 FR Time
-Lore and Fandragon enthusiast, love to talk!
-Wishlist! / Skin Idea Generator
Lurching Tome
[quote]mmm.. nope. i have to come up with lore first, since i like my dragons' names to be theme-fitting, which of course takes a while - from geneing to dressing to actually thinking up a personality and a backstory and then, finally, a fitting name.[/quote] That makes sense. Lore's become overall a lot more popular and elaborate than when I started out on this site, so "setting up" a dragon can probably be a pretty big project. [quote]i dont see the problem with letting dragons sit unnamed until youre ready, and even then, you dont have to name them ever if you dont want to. [/quote] Completely agreed, everybody should play and enjoy this site exactly how they want to! Personally I don't mind admitting that I really dislike unnamed dragons and that it bothers me to no end if dragons I sell stay unnamed forever, but the consequence of that is just that I'll have to start naming them all before selling. I used to do this with exalt fodder already, but I didn't think it was that common for other dragons to go unnamed as well. Since it is I'll just have to adjust so I can have my peace of mind.
Quote:
mmm.. nope. i have to come up with lore first, since i like my dragons' names to be theme-fitting, which of course takes a while - from geneing to dressing to actually thinking up a personality and a backstory and then, finally, a fitting name.

That makes sense. Lore's become overall a lot more popular and elaborate than when I started out on this site, so "setting up" a dragon can probably be a pretty big project.
Quote:
i dont see the problem with letting dragons sit unnamed until youre ready, and even then, you dont have to name them ever if you dont want to.

Completely agreed, everybody should play and enjoy this site exactly how they want to!

Personally I don't mind admitting that I really dislike unnamed dragons and that it bothers me to no end if dragons I sell stay unnamed forever, but the consequence of that is just that I'll have to start naming them all before selling.

I used to do this with exalt fodder already, but I didn't think it was that common for other dragons to go unnamed as well. Since it is I'll just have to adjust so I can have my peace of mind.
@Recallback [quote]I have exactly one dragon who is Unnamed for lore purposes though. Their name in lore changes every time it's said, and rather than shell out on renaming scrolls no one will notice, Unnamed seemed a better way of communicating that mystery. [/quote] That's such a cool idea, I love it!
@Recallback
Quote:

That's such a cool idea, I love it!
Not naming a dragon keeps them out of the Coliseum eligibility line if your filtering.
Not naming a dragon keeps them out of the Coliseum eligibility line if your filtering.
@retrodetective [quote]Naming your dragons before you sell them solves a lot of heartache if that matters to you. [/quote] It does and from now on I will. I used to do this with dragons I sold at low prices already, but I figured if somebody pays more for a dragon they should get to name them and that they'd also [i]want to[/i]. In the past I was right about that as well, but I'm reading a lot of plausible reasons for why people might not end up naming their dragons anymore, so I'll just take that into account in the future.
@retrodetective
Quote:

It does and from now on I will. I used to do this with dragons I sold at low prices already, but I figured if somebody pays more for a dragon they should get to name them and that they'd also want to.

In the past I was right about that as well, but I'm reading a lot of plausible reasons for why people might not end up naming their dragons anymore, so I'll just take that into account in the future.
[quote name="gardenparty" date="2022-05-27 23:01:18" ] Not naming a dragon keeps them out of the Coliseum eligibility line if your filtering. [/quote] This can make finding a wanted trainee much faster. I have a hard time naming dragons because I like to use memorable names, especially for long term dragons. A LOT of times, a dragon is almost perfect, but i am not sure if I want to keep them. Sometimes my fodder names are pretty dumb like Randaljimmie but it makes me laugh to read the name. Sometimes a "keeper" name is ALSO pretty goofy sounding but it matches the mood I was in when I found the dragon, or it's something like "Schmoopie" which is silly, but is actually what my friend called her snake that died too young and was kinda sad. I still want to remember Schmoopie, so it means a bit to name a dragon after such a critter. I also have trouble with getting too attached to stuff, whether dragons or things that cause me mental distress to get rid of. I don't like to name a dragon a name I can't discard or reuse if I'm not planning very seriously to keep it awhile.
gardenparty wrote on 2022-05-27 23:01:18:

This can make finding a wanted trainee much faster.

I have a hard time naming dragons because I like to use memorable names, especially for long term dragons. A LOT of times, a dragon is almost perfect, but i am not sure if I want to keep them. Sometimes my fodder names are pretty dumb like Randaljimmie but it makes me laugh to read the name. Sometimes a "keeper" name is ALSO pretty goofy sounding but it matches the mood I was in when I found the dragon, or it's something like "Schmoopie" which is silly, but is actually what my friend called her snake that died too young and was kinda sad. I still want to remember Schmoopie, so it means a bit to name a dragon after such a critter.

I also have trouble with getting too attached to stuff, whether dragons or things that cause me mental distress to get rid of. I don't like to name a dragon a name I can't discard or reuse if I'm not planning very seriously to keep it awhile.
pancatcher.png bzzZrFR.jpg
We just don't get round to it. Some of our dragons are still Unnamed 8 years later. No particular reason, they just aren't ready to be named yet.

Renaming scrolls are cheap and when buying a dragon we don't care if it's already named or not :D
We just don't get round to it. Some of our dragons are still Unnamed 8 years later. No particular reason, they just aren't ready to be named yet.

Renaming scrolls are cheap and when buying a dragon we don't care if it's already named or not :D
cg2G1xD.gif
tumblr_inline_ngqv6bbPaQ1rvrguk.pngtumblr_inline_n1581tzliY1rvrguk.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13