Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | eggulls... oh no
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
i mean, not to be a nerd, but theres a species of snake that i absolutely love that swallows eggs whole, uses teeth in its throat to pierce/crush the shell, swallows the innards of the egg, and then spits out the shell again

whos to say that this bird cant do the same?? i love the scrunkly
and dragons cant just,,, be the dominant species with no predators at all
i mean, not to be a nerd, but theres a species of snake that i absolutely love that swallows eggs whole, uses teeth in its throat to pierce/crush the shell, swallows the innards of the egg, and then spits out the shell again

whos to say that this bird cant do the same?? i love the scrunkly
and dragons cant just,,, be the dominant species with no predators at all
forum%20banner%201.png forum%20banner%20extra.png forum%20banner%202.png
Of COURSE they're my favourite out of all the bunch. First and foremost, birds have hands, it's just that the fingers are very short and encased in skin, all of which is covered in feathers. Birds have their flight feathers project from their index finger which is not portrayed on these guys, but these aren't BIRDS, these are just bird-like creatures and most likely have an elongated fourth digit (the ring finger) that actually holds the feathers. The anatomy would be similar to the hands of pterosaurs, except the hands are much much shorter. [img]https://askabiologist.asu.edu/sites/default/files/resources/articles/bats/homology_550.jpg[/img] Here you can see the comparative anatomy between a human, a bird and a bat. Birds have hands too. [img]https://static.scientificamerican.com/sciam/assets/Image/2019/saw1019Habi32_d.png[/img] Here you can see the absurdly long hands of a pterosaur. Secondly, where does it say that these Eggulls eat their own eggs? They eat other creatures' eggs and that's a very normal occurrence in the wilderness as well as in a civilised environment (how many of y'all eat eggs lmao) As to what the purpose of the rat-like tail is? No idea, but I do believe this may have been a reference to seagulls being called "sea rats", so they combined a pelican, a seagull and a rat. Certainly some of my favourite familiars in a very long time. Edit: oh but I can definitely confirm one thing: the ears. They make very little sense, not in a sense "oh birds/bird-like creatures aren't supposed to have earlobes" since we have gryphons who have earlobes, but this poses a problem because this is an animal highly adapted to life around water. Animals who live around or in water tend to have very reduced ears, but there are some outliers... I guess instead of seeing these as ears, you could interpret them as decorations such as wattles and combs on chickens.
Of COURSE they're my favourite out of all the bunch.

First and foremost, birds have hands, it's just that the fingers are very short and encased in skin, all of which is covered in feathers. Birds have their flight feathers project from their index finger which is not portrayed on these guys, but these aren't BIRDS, these are just bird-like creatures and most likely have an elongated fourth digit (the ring finger) that actually holds the feathers. The anatomy would be similar to the hands of pterosaurs, except the hands are much much shorter.

homology_550.jpg

Here you can see the comparative anatomy between a human, a bird and a bat. Birds have hands too.

saw1019Habi32_d.png

Here you can see the absurdly long hands of a pterosaur.

Secondly, where does it say that these Eggulls eat their own eggs? They eat other creatures' eggs and that's a very normal occurrence in the wilderness as well as in a civilised environment (how many of y'all eat eggs lmao)

As to what the purpose of the rat-like tail is? No idea, but I do believe this may have been a reference to seagulls being called "sea rats", so they combined a pelican, a seagull and a rat.

Certainly some of my favourite familiars in a very long time.

Edit: oh but I can definitely confirm one thing: the ears. They make very little sense, not in a sense "oh birds/bird-like creatures aren't supposed to have earlobes" since we have gryphons who have earlobes, but this poses a problem because this is an animal highly adapted to life around water. Animals who live around or in water tend to have very reduced ears, but there are some outliers... I guess instead of seeing these as ears, you could interpret them as decorations such as wattles and combs on chickens.
Link to art shopLink to skin shopImage depicting a large blue crab carrying produce on their back, its purpose being a background element for the signatureLink to a personal log thread containing various different links, information and sources
[quote name="Arsea" date="2022-03-18 23:17:47" ] ah, the scrunkly [/quote] that's exactly what i thought when i saw them xD "scrunkly"
Arsea wrote on 2022-03-18 23:17:47:
ah, the scrunkly

that's exactly what i thought when i saw them xD

"scrunkly"
f0PgqbB.png Call me Alex, or Kieran!
pronouns: he/him, they/them
FR +0
old-oaks-2.png Lair sales
Old Oaks sales (lair)
Old Oaks sales (HibDen)
7kXqKFJ.png
im not gonna lie the battle animation makes me feel just a little too ill to be comfortable. static image is fine but makes coli a little more boring haha
im not gonna lie the battle animation makes me feel just a little too ill to be comfortable. static image is fine but makes coli a little more boring haha

____babab__aebe_
Vista: Bisexual Ribbon Vista: Genderfluid Ribbon
Thank you, @Natron! You always know such interesting things.
Thank you, @Natron! You always know such interesting things.
tumblr_inline_nhxp29cBNA1qcphlu.png
Buying an additional apparel slot
unlocks it for ALL your dragons,
not just one!
Feathery Fiends
Feathery Fiends
SnailDivider.png
YCOzZhb.gif

Lemon Flight
nudibranch.png
Beating UM with just a Tynamo
ridgeback s o u p
nudibranch.png
fr time + 3
SnailDivider2.png
they look like they escaped from the waterway
they look like they escaped from the waterway
chrysanthe-sig-left.pngart shop (link)art thread (link)
Put them back in the Fortress of Ends where they escaped from.
Put them back in the Fortress of Ends where they escaped from.
Jd88XNq.png
sh5xjiu.pngQwz7flm.png
ZKQ6ohh.pngtNgQJvM.pngDgV9RW4.png
gNKHrxH.png1bSJVgF.pngbYt72YT.png
FBhgews.png9qLrp5W.pngRWhZ0Cq.pngaef8eafda28aee269865ab582e14a312ac4c2f3c.png6e97a552d6cb288faaaf054be66db8a44c0e78e9.pngQk0VB5d.png
[img]https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/002/148/188/329.png[/img] they really didn't have to do anything to make pelicans any worse than they already are, but i think we should all thank the artists for going above and beyond
329.png

they really didn't have to do anything to make pelicans any worse than they already are, but i think we should all thank the artists for going above and beyond
hikaru
22 • he/him • eng/jpn • fr+3

click here for a random bird
________
@luminagricola JKSJDKJS was not expecting that, glad you like the little science insert! I think I might try to draw these guys for funsies and do some slight anatomical alteration like shortening the tail and giving them an uropatagium (membrane that spreads between the legs, encasing the tail for stabilisation).

I love pelicans so much, they're so similar to spinosaurs.
@luminagricola JKSJDKJS was not expecting that, glad you like the little science insert! I think I might try to draw these guys for funsies and do some slight anatomical alteration like shortening the tail and giving them an uropatagium (membrane that spreads between the legs, encasing the tail for stabilisation).

I love pelicans so much, they're so similar to spinosaurs.
Link to art shopLink to skin shopImage depicting a large blue crab carrying produce on their back, its purpose being a background element for the signatureLink to a personal log thread containing various different links, information and sources
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11