Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Random basically useless facts?
1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
[quote name="FullMoonWinter" date="2022-02-09 17:40:01" ] A group of animals is called just that. A "group" or a "nest" of [Bug] or a "herd" of [Cattle] or a "flock" of [Bird] or "school" of [Fish]. If you actually use any of these other terms outside your friend group, niche subject, or Creative Writing class, you [i]will[/i] get an eyeroll and a mark off from your English professor. [/quote] *Cackles madly because my teachers are more likely to be all "I didn't know that, you're so smart" Yes I am the teachers pet*
FullMoonWinter wrote on 2022-02-09 17:40:01:
A group of animals is called just that. A "group" or a "nest" of [Bug] or a "herd" of [Cattle] or a "flock" of [Bird] or "school" of [Fish]. If you actually use any of these other terms outside your friend group, niche subject, or Creative Writing class, you will get an eyeroll and a mark off from your English professor.

*Cackles madly because my teachers are more likely to be all "I didn't know that, you're so smart"
Yes I am the teachers pet*
Dreamcore/Weirdcore enjoyer.
Trans Male (Ae/Aer)
Check out my new group RP!
[quote name="ANTIM0NY" date="2022-02-26 16:16:30" ] Boquila trifoliolata, a species of flowering vine, is able to near-perfectly mimic the plants it grows on. It's even able to do this with fake plants, and it's hypothesized that it does this by sight! [/quote] I'm sorry, it does WHAT? Am I correct in understanding that this plant can SEE? The plantpocalypse is at hand.
ANTIM0NY wrote on 2022-02-26 16:16:30:

Boquila trifoliolata, a species of flowering vine, is able to near-perfectly mimic the plants it grows on. It's even able to do this with fake plants, and it's hypothesized that it does this by sight!

I'm sorry, it does WHAT?

Am I correct in understanding that this plant can SEE?

The plantpocalypse is at hand.
Dreamcore/Weirdcore enjoyer.
Trans Male (Ae/Aer)
Check out my new group RP!
There’s a trilobite species named Han solo
There’s a trilobite species named Han solo
Antique Oil Lamp Paleogene
she/her
I collect bug items and transmuted treasures
nnnnnn
Transmuted Treasure
[img]https://www.nuttallclub.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Giant-Hummingbird.jpg[/img] the world's largest hummingbird is aptly named the giant hummingbird and it's a big boy
Giant-Hummingbird.jpg

the world's largest hummingbird is aptly named the giant hummingbird and it's a big boy

hikaru
22 • he/him • eng/jpn • fr+3

click here for a random bird
________
[quote name="Insidiously" date="2022-02-28 18:24:24" ] [quote name="ANTIM0NY" date="2022-02-26 16:16:30" ] Boquila trifoliolata, a species of flowering vine, is able to near-perfectly mimic the plants it grows on. It's even able to do this with fake plants, and it's hypothesized that it does this by sight! [/quote] I'm sorry, it does WHAT? Am I correct in understanding that this plant can SEE? The plantpocalypse is at hand. [/quote] Well, it depends on how strict your definition of sight is. If being able to detect light and dark counts as seeing, then yes! [quote name="Xionahri" date="2022-02-28 14:25:15" ] [quote name="ANTIM0NY" date="2022-02-28 14:09:38" ] There's actually a decent number of things in science named after pop culture references, but the only other one I can think of offhand is Aerodactylus, a dubious species of pterosaur named after the pokemon aerodactyl. Scientists are bigger nerds than you think lol [/quote] Aaand you remind me of another good one, which also happens to be a dubious genus: An unusually big Triassic theropod named [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gojirasaurus]Gojirasaurus.[/url] Though, unlike Gojira/Godzilla, it is from the US, not Japan. And yep, scientists are massive nerds. Would they be scientists if they weren't? [/quote] Yeah, I just think it's funny how scientists are always portrayed as cold and clinical when in reality they pull stunts like this all the time lol. Anyway, I'm surprised that name was given to a coelophysoid and not something like Concavenator or Acrocanthosaurus. Something that actually looks like Goji, y'know?
Insidiously wrote on 2022-02-28 18:24:24:
ANTIM0NY wrote on 2022-02-26 16:16:30:

Boquila trifoliolata, a species of flowering vine, is able to near-perfectly mimic the plants it grows on. It's even able to do this with fake plants, and it's hypothesized that it does this by sight!

I'm sorry, it does WHAT?

Am I correct in understanding that this plant can SEE?

The plantpocalypse is at hand.

Well, it depends on how strict your definition of sight is. If being able to detect light and dark counts as seeing, then yes!
Xionahri wrote on 2022-02-28 14:25:15:
ANTIM0NY wrote on 2022-02-28 14:09:38:
There's actually a decent number of things in science named after pop culture references, but the only other one I can think of offhand is Aerodactylus, a dubious species of pterosaur named after the pokemon aerodactyl. Scientists are bigger nerds than you think lol

Aaand you remind me of another good one, which also happens to be a dubious genus:
An unusually big Triassic theropod named Gojirasaurus. Though, unlike Gojira/Godzilla, it is from the US, not Japan.

And yep, scientists are massive nerds. Would they be scientists if they weren't?

Yeah, I just think it's funny how scientists are always portrayed as cold and clinical when in reality they pull stunts like this all the time lol. Anyway, I'm surprised that name was given to a coelophysoid and not something like Concavenator or Acrocanthosaurus. Something that actually looks like Goji, y'know?
formattingtextweeeeee any pronouns

Pgv53XB.png
rnKnsgE.png
J7D1quC.png
643gino.gif mjtJ868.png
Yw8EvNQ.png
4ogWlJU.png
KRcB6uC.png
FObX7rS.png
PAL was originally supposed to be a laptop
PAL was originally supposed to be a laptop
jGVQbew.png Glimmer
Previously QuirkyJunimo
FR +3
Wishlist
oxDm2Un.png
CB1A5LI.png
xtBKBx8.png
mlHpBMC.png
fD64ZUR.png
7gibfJe.png
ZwbGqUa.png
luMBIla.png
lAvpyOQ.png
5vnsOgE.png
lB92wkt.png
WKH2C9p.png
co3WWXY.png 4SVfFPD.png
40QQWBU.png
hX7nLTH.gif
1. Dolphins and Whales belong to the ungulate family — the same family as horses, cows, elephants, etc.

2. Thylacoleo Carnifex was Australia's largest marsupial predator, had the strongest bite of any mammal species, pound for pound, living or extinct, and had very unusual teeth compared to most predatory animals.

3. Hyenas are not canines. They do not even belong to the same family as dogs(caniformia). Hyenas are part of the feliformia suborder, and are more closely related to mongoose and civets.
1. Dolphins and Whales belong to the ungulate family — the same family as horses, cows, elephants, etc.

2. Thylacoleo Carnifex was Australia's largest marsupial predator, had the strongest bite of any mammal species, pound for pound, living or extinct, and had very unusual teeth compared to most predatory animals.

3. Hyenas are not canines. They do not even belong to the same family as dogs(caniformia). Hyenas are part of the feliformia suborder, and are more closely related to mongoose and civets.
krXUDDj.pngTntJeP6.png
In cats, black and red fur colors are transcribed in the X chromosome. This is why calicos are almost always female - the X chromosome expressed in a given area of the body is completely random, and each one dedicates a different fur coloring, giving them their signature pattern. Male calicos are extremely rare, since they need to be born with XXY chromosomes, and often have genetic issues associated with said disorder.

(by the way, this goes for humans too! you just can't see which X chromosome is expressed in us if we have two, since our skin doesn't have patterns like a cat's fur does)

In cats, black and red fur colors are transcribed in the X chromosome. This is why calicos are almost always female - the X chromosome expressed in a given area of the body is completely random, and each one dedicates a different fur coloring, giving them their signature pattern. Male calicos are extremely rare, since they need to be born with XXY chromosomes, and often have genetic issues associated with said disorder.

(by the way, this goes for humans too! you just can't see which X chromosome is expressed in us if we have two, since our skin doesn't have patterns like a cat's fur does)

23859.png « he/him
« FRT + 9
The average person walks past at least 32 murders in their entire lifetime.
The average person walks past at least 32 murders in their entire lifetime.
He/they
Transgender
Bisexual lithromantic
Depressed gay mess, but always well-dressed
You can make a Turkey burp by squeezing their air sacks in their chest
You can make a Turkey burp by squeezing their air sacks in their chest
chaogarden.gif
1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15