Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Why fix what wasn't broken?
1 2 3
they used such an ugly color to model the changes and it made me feel so indifferent about the whole issue.

i should have looked at the scrying workshop before voting i guess. some of the colors look really good "fixed," ugh
they used such an ugly color to model the changes and it made me feel so indifferent about the whole issue.

i should have looked at the scrying workshop before voting i guess. some of the colors look really good "fixed," ugh
xxxxxxxxxxxx what did you honestly expect to find here? xxxxxxxxxxxx
tumblr_inline_nxzvqj33Dj1tnp410_100.png
@/FloatingInSpace Yeah, I noticed when I went to double check— I was about to grab the raw images from the survey rather than taking a screenshot, but it looks like the survey site makes you host the images there, and their quality is… not great. I should probably have grabbed the images from the actual FR post, because you can see it more clearly there, I was just too hasty: [img]https://flightrising.com/dropbox/updates/ooriginal.png[/img] Sparklies, new accent color. [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/media/whynotboth.png[/img] No sparklies, old accent color. (And the filename whynotboth.png, omg)
@/FloatingInSpace Yeah, I noticed when I went to double check— I was about to grab the raw images from the survey rather than taking a screenshot, but it looks like the survey site makes you host the images there, and their quality is… not great. I should probably have grabbed the images from the actual FR post, because you can see it more clearly there, I was just too hasty:

ooriginal.png
Sparklies, new accent color.

whynotboth.png
No sparklies, old accent color. (And the filename whynotboth.png, omg)
[quote name="mothscale" date="2021-12-29 10:06:15" ] @/FloatingInSpace Yeah, I noticed when I went to double check— I was about to grab the raw images from the survey rather than taking a screenshot, but it looks like the survey site makes you host the images there, and their quality is… not great. -snip- [/quote] Ah yeah, that checks out. Wish they had posted the images elsewhere in that case to cut down on confusion, but the wording is also much clearer the third time around, so I think that helps out a bunch. Also, love that the png titles are still so full of easter eggs, even when it comes to poll images lol.
mothscale wrote on 2021-12-29 10:06:15:
@/FloatingInSpace Yeah, I noticed when I went to double check— I was about to grab the raw images from the survey rather than taking a screenshot, but it looks like the survey site makes you host the images there, and their quality is… not great. -snip-
Ah yeah, that checks out. Wish they had posted the images elsewhere in that case to cut down on confusion, but the wording is also much clearer the third time around, so I think that helps out a bunch.

Also, love that the png titles are still so full of easter eggs, even when it comes to poll images lol.
uCR5SCW.png
[quote name="FloatingInSpace" date="2021-12-29 10:00:35" ] [quote name="mothscale" date="2021-12-29 09:58:27" ] [quote name="Shian" date="2021-12-29 09:26:43" ] [quote name="Eviscerate" date="2021-12-29 09:25:03" ] Yeah, it's a little unfortunate, but at least they are giving us a poll to decide what happens. Majority rules. But also this whole thing doesn't effect me in any way since I don't have any Obes with flair and never had plans for it either. [/quote] But you do have imps and PCs. The poll is literally, "Hey we messed this up. Do we keep the change OR do we revert to what it was before and change ALL THE DRAGONS YOU HAVE so they match?" Because everyone likes sparkes on everything. They even used the SAME PC IMAGE on all the polls so looks like everything is getting sparkles. [/quote] …Huh? The PC looks different to me (different colors in the mane), and I don't see sparklies in the old version? It has the gradient, but it had that before. [emoji=ridgeback confused size=1] Is this a computer mess-up or something? Because: [img]https://i.imgur.com/awAnnOR.png[/img] This is what I'm seeing. Sparklies and orange accent in "change the mane for non-Obelisks" option, non-sparkly green accent in "don't change the mane." [/quote] The option three, "Obelisks get sparkle manes and unique gradient, everyone else gets no-sparkle manes and original gradient. (reversion)" makes it pretty obvious that we're just reverting to how things used to be, and no one else gets sparkles. I agree that they should have made more mock-ups and put them perhaps in a separate post for us to peruse, but I also agree that it doesn't look like there's any sparkles in the PC that they're showing us for the third option. It is grainy and hard to tell, I'll give you that. [/quote] https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/3072525#post_3072525 here's a link to all the changes. Its such a tricky thing, all the obis essentially flip from dark mane to light and vice versa. Some legit look better with the change and some look better originally and a lot look good both ways it all comes down to taste
FloatingInSpace wrote on 2021-12-29 10:00:35:
mothscale wrote on 2021-12-29 09:58:27:
Shian wrote on 2021-12-29 09:26:43:
Eviscerate wrote on 2021-12-29 09:25:03:
Yeah, it's a little unfortunate, but at least they are giving us a poll to decide what happens. Majority rules.
But also this whole thing doesn't effect me in any way since I don't have any Obes with flair and never had plans for it either.

But you do have imps and PCs. The poll is literally, "Hey we messed this up. Do we keep the change OR do we revert to what it was before and change ALL THE DRAGONS YOU HAVE so they match?"

Because everyone likes sparkes on everything.

They even used the SAME PC IMAGE on all the polls so looks like everything is getting sparkles.

…Huh? The PC looks different to me (different colors in the mane), and I don't see sparklies in the old version? It has the gradient, but it had that before. Is this a computer mess-up or something? Because:

awAnnOR.png
This is what I'm seeing. Sparklies and orange accent in "change the mane for non-Obelisks" option, non-sparkly green accent in "don't change the mane."
The option three, "Obelisks get sparkle manes and unique gradient, everyone else gets no-sparkle manes and original gradient. (reversion)" makes it pretty obvious that we're just reverting to how things used to be, and no one else gets sparkles. I agree that they should have made more mock-ups and put them perhaps in a separate post for us to peruse, but I also agree that it doesn't look like there's any sparkles in the PC that they're showing us for the third option. It is grainy and hard to tell, I'll give you that.

https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/3072525#post_3072525

here's a link to all the changes. Its such a tricky thing, all the obis essentially flip from dark mane to light and vice versa. Some legit look better with the change and some look better originally and a lot look good both ways it all comes down to taste
CIwqvJR.pngX7H5Zcj.pngsYvWvmL.pnghH20mhp.png
Long time FR user here that has purchased quite a bit of gems over the years as I want to support a game I love and the artists behind it. With that being said, while I don't have any Obelisks that were affected, the way this ordeal was handled doesn't particularly sit well with me. I don't particularly understand how it took a full six months for staff to notice a supposed error. I don't understand why they felt the need to fix an unannounced "bug" the day it was discovered when 1) the community has responded extremely negatively in the past to dragons being changed with no warning 2) people have spent actual real life money to purchase/gene their dragons and 3) there are so many other known bugs that staff could have fixed instead. For reference: [quote name="Aequorin" date="2021-12-28 14:02:11" ] Unfortunately, these corrections included Flair for obelisk dragons, which had been launched with the incorrect colors, [b]determined to be incorrect today,[/b] and very few knew they were mismatched from other manes until today's update went live. [/quote] It also was a bit unsettling that the initial poll didn't listen to user feedback at all; it instead was all or nothing that felt like it was pitting the community together. Only after upsetting the community even more did a new poll come out. Since the staff are very aware of how poorly sudden changes to dragons are received, but still went ahead and did so anyways with zero community feedback, I'm very, very hesitant to purchase any gems in the future. What I'd love to see as a result from this ordeal would be: 1) [b]Bugs for genes being added to the known-list within 24 hours.[/b] I understand that the staff behind Flight Rising is very small, but people are spending hard earned money on what they think is a final product. 2) More community involvement for aesthetic bug fix choices. [b]If a bug has been live for over six months, and doesn't break the image/cause an error, then the community should be allowed to take a poll if the bug will be fixed. [/b] For example: I had a female imperial with Rose hypnotic. (For those that weren't here before the fix, the Rose hypnotic on female imperials was basically inverted, so it had a softer, more pastel look over all). Once her hypnotic was fixed, she was exalted since I did not like the more saturated look. It would have been nice if the staff had issued a poll to the community to see if they would like it to be fixed or to leave it as is. I strongly feel that having more polls would be beneficial to the site as it would 1) help avoid negative backlash from the community 2) establish better trust/communication that the community has been asking for for years and 3) save staff much more time that can be used to focus their attention on more pressing errors the community actually wants fixed. While staff has said they would like a more cohesive look across the board, I have seen many people state that they like having breed specific quirks. It also doesn't make sense as there are very well-known and beloved quirks for breeds (see: tundra gradients) that staff do not view as errors/incohesive. 3) [b]Have a link to the known bug thread listed in the marketplace.[/b] I know this is a long shot/probably won't be implemented, but I do feel like having this would be beneficial to the community overall/would help avoid hurt feelings/would be the transparency people are begging for. Not everyone spends hours browsing the forums. User created forums can also be very easy to miss with how fast paced threads move. For example: I only just found out that iri/shim are going to be fixed last year despite being here since 2014. I would definitely have not purchased gems for those scrolls had I known they were going to change.
Long time FR user here that has purchased quite a bit of gems over the years as I want to support a game I love and the artists behind it. With that being said, while I don't have any Obelisks that were affected, the way this ordeal was handled doesn't particularly sit well with me.

I don't particularly understand how it took a full six months for staff to notice a supposed error. I don't understand why they felt the need to fix an unannounced "bug" the day it was discovered when 1) the community has responded extremely negatively in the past to dragons being changed with no warning 2) people have spent actual real life money to purchase/gene their dragons and 3) there are so many other known bugs that staff could have fixed instead.

For reference:
Aequorin wrote on 2021-12-28 14:02:11:
Unfortunately, these corrections included Flair for obelisk dragons, which had been launched with the incorrect colors, determined to be incorrect today, and very few knew they were mismatched from other manes until today's update went live.

It also was a bit unsettling that the initial poll didn't listen to user feedback at all; it instead was all or nothing that felt like it was pitting the community together. Only after upsetting the community even more did a new poll come out.

Since the staff are very aware of how poorly sudden changes to dragons are received, but still went ahead and did so anyways with zero community feedback, I'm very, very hesitant to purchase any gems in the future.

What I'd love to see as a result from this ordeal would be:

1) Bugs for genes being added to the known-list within 24 hours. I understand that the staff behind Flight Rising is very small, but people are spending hard earned money on what they think is a final product.

2) More community involvement for aesthetic bug fix choices. If a bug has been live for over six months, and doesn't break the image/cause an error, then the community should be allowed to take a poll if the bug will be fixed. For example: I had a female imperial with Rose hypnotic. (For those that weren't here before the fix, the Rose hypnotic on female imperials was basically inverted, so it had a softer, more pastel look over all). Once her hypnotic was fixed, she was exalted since I did not like the more saturated look. It would have been nice if the staff had issued a poll to the community to see if they would like it to be fixed or to leave it as is.

I strongly feel that having more polls would be beneficial to the site as it would 1) help avoid negative backlash from the community 2) establish better trust/communication that the community has been asking for for years and 3) save staff much more time that can be used to focus their attention on more pressing errors the community actually wants fixed.

While staff has said they would like a more cohesive look across the board, I have seen many people state that they like having breed specific quirks. It also doesn't make sense as there are very well-known and beloved quirks for breeds (see: tundra gradients) that staff do not view as errors/incohesive.

3) Have a link to the known bug thread listed in the marketplace. I know this is a long shot/probably won't be implemented, but I do feel like having this would be beneficial to the community overall/would help avoid hurt feelings/would be the transparency people are begging for.

Not everyone spends hours browsing the forums. User created forums can also be very easy to miss with how fast paced threads move. For example: I only just found out that iri/shim are going to be fixed last year despite being here since 2014. I would definitely have not purchased gems for those scrolls had I known they were going to change.
I’m puzzled as to why anything needed to change at all.
I’m puzzled as to why anything needed to change at all.
tumblr_inline_nr3jstm7lK1s7z3me_75sq.png

Pings are ok.
@KeyOfLorelei I love your list! There definitely needs to be more transparency before these types of 'fixes' are implemented.

I'm sure you remember how stuff like the Clown or Butterfly 'fixes' went over, so it's not like this kind of reaction could possibly have been unexpected for the team.

There's even been specific instances where they could've informed us that Flair was at the very least 'under review' and that the manes weren't permanent. It could've been mentioned in a site update but the real kicker is that it could've been mentioned when the changed the gene name from Flare to Flair. It wouldn't have been too hard to mention to users what the plan was for Flair if this had been an issue.

And in regards to polls, it would be helpful to have team posts that include questions regarding genes and possible fixes to it, maybe ask people to give their general opinions in the comments, and then build a poll based on the most popular responses.

And also ugh yeah don't remind me about Rose Hypno, it was so pretttyyyy D'x
@KeyOfLorelei I love your list! There definitely needs to be more transparency before these types of 'fixes' are implemented.

I'm sure you remember how stuff like the Clown or Butterfly 'fixes' went over, so it's not like this kind of reaction could possibly have been unexpected for the team.

There's even been specific instances where they could've informed us that Flair was at the very least 'under review' and that the manes weren't permanent. It could've been mentioned in a site update but the real kicker is that it could've been mentioned when the changed the gene name from Flare to Flair. It wouldn't have been too hard to mention to users what the plan was for Flair if this had been an issue.

And in regards to polls, it would be helpful to have team posts that include questions regarding genes and possible fixes to it, maybe ask people to give their general opinions in the comments, and then build a poll based on the most popular responses.

And also ugh yeah don't remind me about Rose Hypno, it was so pretttyyyy D'x
3EnpSxZ.png
@KeyOfLorelei

Iri/Shim are changing? I hadn't heard. Do you have a link to any more information? I'm sitting on an iri gene for a breeding project in progress, and I do NOT want to spend it if it could change out from under me.
@KeyOfLorelei

Iri/Shim are changing? I hadn't heard. Do you have a link to any more information? I'm sitting on an iri gene for a breeding project in progress, and I do NOT want to spend it if it could change out from under me.
cDDSaqc.png
I don't recall anyone ever complaining about this, so I really don't understand why it needed a "fix". It's really hard to choose too, because some of the "fixes" look great while others... yeah not so much.

Why not work on errors people have been pointing out for ages or, I don't know... One of the image breaking errors like on Snappers?

There are a lot of differences in the art for older breeds compared to old genes on newer breeds. Does it really matter? If people are happy with the way they are then why "fix" it? I'm still really turned off by the Steampunk set "revamp". Some changes are for the better and some are completely unnecessary.

You really have to tread lightly with a community focused on art. Most people don't like change. I'm really happy the staff made a poll for it, but it's a really double edged sword based poll...

That all said, I really feel for the staff right now. This whole deal on top of hackers? And during NotN? Yikes! Hang in there guys, and keep listening to what we have to say. You are one of the most understanding and communicative staff out there. I know we can be pretty demanding and annoying, but keep working with us and we'll all figure this stuff out!
I don't recall anyone ever complaining about this, so I really don't understand why it needed a "fix". It's really hard to choose too, because some of the "fixes" look great while others... yeah not so much.

Why not work on errors people have been pointing out for ages or, I don't know... One of the image breaking errors like on Snappers?

There are a lot of differences in the art for older breeds compared to old genes on newer breeds. Does it really matter? If people are happy with the way they are then why "fix" it? I'm still really turned off by the Steampunk set "revamp". Some changes are for the better and some are completely unnecessary.

You really have to tread lightly with a community focused on art. Most people don't like change. I'm really happy the staff made a poll for it, but it's a really double edged sword based poll...

That all said, I really feel for the staff right now. This whole deal on top of hackers? And during NotN? Yikes! Hang in there guys, and keep listening to what we have to say. You are one of the most understanding and communicative staff out there. I know we can be pretty demanding and annoying, but keep working with us and we'll all figure this stuff out!
sJmKU07.gifa8FvSEr.png9dYW39C.png
[quote name="StoneHusky" date="2021-12-29 16:29:01" ] I'm sure you remember how stuff like the Clown or Butterfly 'fixes' went over, so it's not like this kind of reaction could possibly have been unexpected for the team.[/quote] i personally don't remember these (clown was before i joined and i have no recollection of butterfly being broken in the first place) but......... this is definitely not the first time staff's forced an unkown change that has subsequently severely backfired. i don't understand why they keep doing this, knowing they'll likely decide to revert or make further changes after it goes public. why not just...... ask us before making a huge change to players' dragons to see if we even want it?
StoneHusky wrote on 2021-12-29 16:29:01:

i personally don't remember these (clown was before i joined and i have no recollection of butterfly being broken in the first place) but......... this is definitely not the first time staff's forced an unkown change that has subsequently severely backfired. i don't understand why they keep doing this, knowing they'll likely decide to revert or make further changes after it goes public.

why not just...... ask us before making a huge change to players' dragons to see if we even want it?
Ollie | he/him
eGiN2Xv.png F8WMfQz.png thDLJf3.png
1 2 3