Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Mire Stat Adjustment Update
1 2 3 4 5 6
[quote name="Vertibird" date="2021-10-24 05:58:20" ] What does it mean? It means the devs have caved and decided to make the Coli friendly for fodder trainers first and foremost, which means nothing new or interesting can ever be done with it now. Yeah, it's just a little thing, but if fodder trainers can't just adjust to a couple of tougher enemies, how are the devs ever going to be able to make the Coli an experience that isn't just a complete slogfest? How are they ever going to make it fresh and new if it has to be built around training fodder? [/quote] Dude, salty much? Literally half the site uses the mire for one particular thing; it’s not like they’re bowing to the demands of a few here. If you have an issue with how the mire works… well, there’s always the other twenty locations to use. *-*
Vertibird wrote on 2021-10-24 05:58:20:
What does it mean?

It means the devs have caved and decided to make the Coli friendly for fodder trainers first and foremost, which means nothing new or interesting can ever be done with it now.

Yeah, it's just a little thing, but if fodder trainers can't just adjust to a couple of tougher enemies, how are the devs ever going to be able to make the Coli an experience that isn't just a complete slogfest? How are they ever going to make it fresh and new if it has to be built around training fodder?
Dude, salty much?
Literally half the site uses the mire for one particular thing; it’s not like they’re bowing to the demands of a few here. If you have an issue with how the mire works… well, there’s always the other twenty locations to use. *-*
IMG_4595.png
image1.png
5hF3FGk.png
image0.png
image0.png
image3.png
[quote name="Munchcatto" date="2021-10-24 06:44:55" ] [quote name="gayrurumon" date="2021-10-24 06:37:44" ] [quote name="Munchcatto" date="2021-10-24 05:35:44" ] Why did it take them a whole day to decide that the armadillos are too tanky and kelpies too slow. Please. Why. So many need to retincture again. [/quote] Another way of looking at it: wow, it only took them a day to decide on and then implement a stat rebalance for the new enemies? Let's be reasonable: for better or for worse, this is about as fast as I think they could have gotten a patch through. Things take time, I don't think expecting them to have changed the mire enemies any sooner is entirely fair. [/quote] I would have hoped stuff like this is tested before it's released is what my problem is. I do not think that is an unreasonable thing to ask. [/quote] I think it's moreso the people's complaints - the armadillos messed up a lot of people's Mire builds, so staff may have to decided to preserve the builds (somewhat - you still need 120 strength instead of 119 like before) by changing it. The kelpies were probably the only error. I don't think the armadillos would've changed if people were fine with it.
Munchcatto wrote on 2021-10-24 06:44:55:
gayrurumon wrote on 2021-10-24 06:37:44:
Munchcatto wrote on 2021-10-24 05:35:44:
Why did it take them a whole day to decide that the armadillos are too tanky and kelpies too slow. Please. Why. So many need to retincture again.

Another way of looking at it: wow, it only took them a day to decide on and then implement a stat rebalance for the new enemies?

Let's be reasonable: for better or for worse, this is about as fast as I think they could have gotten a patch through. Things take time, I don't think expecting them to have changed the mire enemies any sooner is entirely fair.

I would have hoped stuff like this is tested before it's released is what my problem is. I do not think that is an unreasonable thing to ask.
I think it's moreso the people's complaints - the armadillos messed up a lot of people's Mire builds, so staff may have to decided to preserve the builds (somewhat - you still need 120 strength instead of 119 like before) by changing it.

The kelpies were probably the only error. I don't think the armadillos would've changed if people were fine with it.
mapleshaiku_siggy.png
[quote name="Vertibird" date="2021-10-24 05:58:20" ] What does it mean? It means the devs have caved and decided to make the Coli friendly for fodder trainers first and foremost, which means nothing new or interesting can ever be done with it now. Yeah, it's just a little thing, but if fodder trainers can't just adjust to a couple of tougher enemies, how are the devs ever going to be able to make the Coli an experience that isn't just a complete slogfest? How are they ever going to make it fresh and new if it has to be built around training fodder? [/quote]
Vertibird wrote on 2021-10-24 05:58:20:
What does it mean?

It means the devs have caved and decided to make the Coli friendly for fodder trainers first and foremost, which means nothing new or interesting can ever be done with it now.

Yeah, it's just a little thing, but if fodder trainers can't just adjust to a couple of tougher enemies, how are the devs ever going to be able to make the Coli an experience that isn't just a complete slogfest? How are they ever going to make it fresh and new if it has to be built around training fodder?
So, what are the right Vit and Qck values to go with 120 STR?
So, what are the right Vit and Qck values to go with 120 STR?
The Enforcer - they/themAboutArtFree IconsAvatar DragonNeocitiesWishlistA pixelated animation of a teal Mirror dragon wearing a blue and purple hood. They blink and then a heart appears in a speech balloon before filling with dark liquid and fading to black.
[quote name="gayrurumon" date="2021-10-24 06:37:44" ] [quote name="Munchcatto" date="2021-10-24 05:35:44" ] Why did it take them a whole day to decide that the armadillos are too tanky and kelpies too slow. Please. Why. So many need to retincture again. [/quote] Another way of looking at it: wow, it only took them a day to decide on and then implement a stat rebalance for the new enemies? Let's be reasonable: for better or for worse, this is about as fast as I think they could have gotten a patch through. Things take time, I don't think expecting them to have changed the mire enemies any sooner is entirely fair. [/quote]
gayrurumon wrote on 2021-10-24 06:37:44:
Munchcatto wrote on 2021-10-24 05:35:44:
Why did it take them a whole day to decide that the armadillos are too tanky and kelpies too slow. Please. Why. So many need to retincture again.

Another way of looking at it: wow, it only took them a day to decide on and then implement a stat rebalance for the new enemies?

Let's be reasonable: for better or for worse, this is about as fast as I think they could have gotten a patch through. Things take time, I don't think expecting them to have changed the mire enemies any sooner is entirely fair.
3sKaKGc.png
gray » fr+3 » flight traveler
To the person who wishes fodder trainers "could just adjust" to the tougher enemies: it's not as if they made the catfish or armadillos into mages/meditate casters. There's still a difficulty spike compared to pre-revamp Mire.

Also, any change that cuts into the efficiency of Mire trainers, the most efficient venue to train in, cuts into the number of dragons that Mire trainers can or are willing to train and exalt in a day, and I personally don't think that would have been good for the site either.

Hopefully we'll get more 20+ venues in the future, and hopefully a second level 24 venue can give you and the people who agree with you the difficulty spike you want to see. If not, we already have the three level 25 venues, where a solo trainer build is much harder to work with, if at all.
To the person who wishes fodder trainers "could just adjust" to the tougher enemies: it's not as if they made the catfish or armadillos into mages/meditate casters. There's still a difficulty spike compared to pre-revamp Mire.

Also, any change that cuts into the efficiency of Mire trainers, the most efficient venue to train in, cuts into the number of dragons that Mire trainers can or are willing to train and exalt in a day, and I personally don't think that would have been good for the site either.

Hopefully we'll get more 20+ venues in the future, and hopefully a second level 24 venue can give you and the people who agree with you the difficulty spike you want to see. If not, we already have the three level 25 venues, where a solo trainer build is much harder to work with, if at all.
He/She/They | FR +3
I'm a little grumpy that I already tinctured once and will have to retincture if I want to optimize things.

So far I haven't and it doesn't make a difference because I rarely go more than two bouts without being dodged. And if I do make more than two, as soon as I hit the kelpies I'm out anyway because one of them is guaranteed to dodge. At least once, twice if I've built enough reserves to try again. I'm grumpier about that at this point.
I'm a little grumpy that I already tinctured once and will have to retincture if I want to optimize things.

So far I haven't and it doesn't make a difference because I rarely go more than two bouts without being dodged. And if I do make more than two, as soon as I hit the kelpies I'm out anyway because one of them is guaranteed to dodge. At least once, twice if I've built enough reserves to try again. I'm grumpier about that at this point.
LvA Contribution
[quote name="quinnelope" date="2021-10-24 08:06:58" ] To the person who wishes fodder trainers "could just adjust" to the tougher enemies: it's not as if they made the catfish or armadillos into mages/meditate casters. There's still a difficulty spike compared to pre-revamp Mire. Also, any change that cuts into the efficiency of Mire trainers, the most efficient venue to train in, cuts into the number of dragons that Mire trainers can or are willing to train and exalt in a day, and I personally don't think that would have been good for the site either. Hopefully we'll get more 20+ venues in the future, and hopefully a second level 24 venue can give you and the people who agree with you the difficulty spike you want to see. If not, we already have the three level 25 venues, where a solo trainer build is much harder to work with, if at all. [/quote] I think this is a good point- the game needs people exalting more dragons, not less. Anything that significantly slows down leveling is going to have an overall negative effect. We have several difficult venues that fill the challenge roll already.
quinnelope wrote on 2021-10-24 08:06:58:

I think this is a good point- the game needs people exalting more dragons, not less. Anything that significantly slows down leveling is going to have an overall negative effect. We have several difficult venues that fill the challenge roll already.
tumblr_inline_nfx4qesxHc1r6zydg.png
[quote name="Darksilverhawk" date="2021-10-24 08:24:22" ] [quote name="quinnelope" date="2021-10-24 08:06:58" ] To the person who wishes fodder trainers "could just adjust" to the tougher enemies: it's not as if they made the catfish or armadillos into mages/meditate casters. There's still a difficulty spike compared to pre-revamp Mire. Also, any change that cuts into the efficiency of Mire trainers, the most efficient venue to train in, cuts into the number of dragons that Mire trainers can or are willing to train and exalt in a day, and I personally don't think that would have been good for the site either. Hopefully we'll get more 20+ venues in the future, and hopefully a second level 24 venue can give you and the people who agree with you the difficulty spike you want to see. If not, we already have the three level 25 venues, where a solo trainer build is much harder to work with, if at all. [/quote] I think this is a good point- the game needs people exalting more dragons, not less. Anything that significantly slows down leveling is going to have an overall negative effect. We have several difficult venues that fill the challenge roll already. [/quote] Agreeing with both of you. I'd also like to add my own take, which is...I personally can't see the link between "staff slightly readjusted the stat distribution for a refresh update" and "nothing new or interesting can ever be done". The coliseum isn't a grand game of skill that got hamstrung by a cheeky solution, and turning it into some kind of high-skill-ceiling RPG battle system would, I imagine, require a bit more than adding a few new enemies that require you to put a few more points in a stat than you did previously. The new "harder" Mire was already solved, it's just that the 123 str build was more annoying to grind with (read: [i]more[/i] of a slogfest). If anything, wouldn't the "caving" be good news, that they're thinking about balance rather than saying "Yeah, this is our system, suck it up and deal"? That said, calling the staff's response "caving" feels wrong. Giving ground to someone else isn't inherently bad or weak! Staff saw the player response (or tested things themselves), recognized the place the Mire holds in the player experience given the current state of the coli, and, despite the fact that I imagine it's not quite how they imagined the coli going, were willing to [i]compromise[/i]. A new build's still required, but a less obnoxious one. If they were going to do a big coli rebalance, why on earth would they do it unannounced, the day before a festival, starting with one of the most important venues, in the form of a venue update? Pretty chuffed with the change myself, of course. Thanks for listening, staff! I'll hold off my own tincture for a little in case there's further adjustments.
Darksilverhawk wrote on 2021-10-24 08:24:22:
quinnelope wrote on 2021-10-24 08:06:58:

I think this is a good point- the game needs people exalting more dragons, not less. Anything that significantly slows down leveling is going to have an overall negative effect. We have several difficult venues that fill the challenge roll already.

Agreeing with both of you. I'd also like to add my own take, which is...I personally can't see the link between "staff slightly readjusted the stat distribution for a refresh update" and "nothing new or interesting can ever be done".

The coliseum isn't a grand game of skill that got hamstrung by a cheeky solution, and turning it into some kind of high-skill-ceiling RPG battle system would, I imagine, require a bit more than adding a few new enemies that require you to put a few more points in a stat than you did previously. The new "harder" Mire was already solved, it's just that the 123 str build was more annoying to grind with (read: more of a slogfest). If anything, wouldn't the "caving" be good news, that they're thinking about balance rather than saying "Yeah, this is our system, suck it up and deal"?

That said, calling the staff's response "caving" feels wrong. Giving ground to someone else isn't inherently bad or weak! Staff saw the player response (or tested things themselves), recognized the place the Mire holds in the player experience given the current state of the coli, and, despite the fact that I imagine it's not quite how they imagined the coli going, were willing to compromise. A new build's still required, but a less obnoxious one. If they were going to do a big coli rebalance, why on earth would they do it unannounced, the day before a festival, starting with one of the most important venues, in the form of a venue update?

Pretty chuffed with the change myself, of course. Thanks for listening, staff! I'll hold off my own tincture for a little in case there's further adjustments.
cL9yafY.gif
Aw man the slow Kelpies were the best part of the new Mire. You could regain your breath from the extra turns that you lost from the too agile other enemies!
Aw man the slow Kelpies were the best part of the new Mire. You could regain your breath from the extra turns that you lost from the too agile other enemies!
oQTeZuq.png
1 2 3 4 5 6