Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | are tundras reptiles or mammals?
1 2 3 4
“Mammals (from Latin mamma, 'breast') are a group of vertebrate animals constituting the class Mammalia (/m??me?li?/), and characterized by the presence of mammary glands which in females produce milk for feeding (nursing) their young, a neocortex (a region of the brain), fur or hair, and three middle ear bones.”

I’m gonna need a pregnant female Tundra and a fresh severed head.

Incidentally, some early dinosaurs had simple filamentary feathers that could have, if distributed thickly enough, looked a bit like fur.
“Mammals (from Latin mamma, 'breast') are a group of vertebrate animals constituting the class Mammalia (/m??me?li?/), and characterized by the presence of mammary glands which in females produce milk for feeding (nursing) their young, a neocortex (a region of the brain), fur or hair, and three middle ear bones.”

I’m gonna need a pregnant female Tundra and a fresh severed head.

Incidentally, some early dinosaurs had simple filamentary feathers that could have, if distributed thickly enough, looked a bit like fur.
Coffee Pot
May be grumpy before coffee. And after coffee. (FR+8)
5loJkio.jpg
Some mammals lay eggs, and those dont exactly have huge mammary gland either. However I would say they are not mammals simply based off the fact that they have six limbs instead of four, so they would have to come from a very different ancestry than most mammal (since their body plan always includes only 4 limbs).

If you're interested in learning why having six limbs would desqualify them as mammals, I recommend "Trey the explainer" video on "Science of dragons" on Youtube!
Some mammals lay eggs, and those dont exactly have huge mammary gland either. However I would say they are not mammals simply based off the fact that they have six limbs instead of four, so they would have to come from a very different ancestry than most mammal (since their body plan always includes only 4 limbs).

If you're interested in learning why having six limbs would desqualify them as mammals, I recommend "Trey the explainer" video on "Science of dragons" on Youtube!
neither.
things bamfed into existence by the gods and life force is magic are a whole different category. i'd say they are something like half-elementals. partially biological elementals. biology is really weird resultingly.
neither.
things bamfed into existence by the gods and life force is magic are a whole different category. i'd say they are something like half-elementals. partially biological elementals. biology is really weird resultingly.
is very likely to take your posts literally - has difficulty discerning if tone is joking
[quote name="Reilata" date="2021-09-17 17:01:01" ] All dragons are their own category, dragons. They live in all sorts of climates and are very active, so I would not consider them reptiles at all. [/quote] Exactly. "Mammals" (Mammalia) and reptiles (Reptilia) are completely unique taxonomical groupings. Furry filaments do not categorise you as mammals and scales don't categorise you as reptiles. Dragons are neither reptiles OR mammals, they're dragons. They could be in a class (Draco) or a superorder (Draconiformes), but they're practically completely unrelated to creatures such as [item=parda][item=anomalous skink][item=noggle] because dragons have 6 limbs instead of 4. You know what some reptiles have? Feathers. And furry filaments. Birds are dinosaurs and reptiles, warmblooded reptiles which is why they have feathers in the first place, to keep the warmth in. Pterosaurs? Also reptiles. Pterosaurs were most likely covered in furry-like filaments. You know what this is? [img]https://i.imgur.com/MptwhKF.png[/img] A reptile. A pterosaur called Anurognathus and this is extremely realistic art of one.
Reilata wrote on 2021-09-17 17:01:01:
All dragons are their own category, dragons. They live in all sorts of climates and are very active, so I would not consider them reptiles at all.

Exactly. "Mammals" (Mammalia) and reptiles (Reptilia) are completely unique taxonomical groupings. Furry filaments do not categorise you as mammals and scales don't categorise you as reptiles. Dragons are neither reptiles OR mammals, they're dragons. They could be in a class (Draco) or a superorder (Draconiformes), but they're practically completely unrelated to creatures such as

Parda Anomalous Skink Noggle because dragons have 6 limbs instead of 4.

You know what some reptiles have? Feathers. And furry filaments. Birds are dinosaurs and reptiles, warmblooded reptiles which is why they have feathers in the first place, to keep the warmth in. Pterosaurs? Also reptiles. Pterosaurs were most likely covered in furry-like filaments.

You know what this is?

MptwhKF.png

A reptile. A pterosaur called Anurognathus and this is extremely realistic art of one.
Link to art shopLink to skin shopImage depicting a large blue crab carrying produce on their back, its purpose being a background element for the signatureLink to a personal log thread containing various different links, information and sources
[quote name="KyreDusk" date="2021-09-18 03:10:51" ] Mammal-like reptiles [/quote] Synapsids my beloved
KyreDusk wrote on 2021-09-18 03:10:51:
Mammal-like reptiles

Synapsids my beloved
latest?cb=20140703135024.png
⊗ Max
⊗ 23
⊗xe/they
⊗ fr +2

sNd5wqe.png hphjQR4.png
89NiKF4.png COSMOSIS_tiny_sepia_logo.png EDjLhcC.png egg_fire_bouncy_by_dogi_crimson-dabjwuf.gifuD7taRL.png
kCHWEjf.png6dnHKBv.png
are you implying you believe tundras lactate
[quote name="Transkovsky" date="2021-09-17 18:11:15" ] [quote name="Kamikire" date="2021-09-17 17:51:32" ] Being a mammal requires mammary glands. That's what "mammal" means. So I'm pretty sure none of the dragon breeds are mammals. [/quote] you think they'd give something mammaries on a pg-13 site? [/quote] What we should really be asking is why the miths have mammaries and if this makes [i]them[/i] mammals or bugs [s]and also why the two from the coloring contest are [i]still[/i] missing their highlights years after the fact[/s] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/familiar/art/16248.png[/img][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/familiar/art/16247.png[/img][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/familiar/art/338.png[/img]
Transkovsky wrote on 2021-09-17 18:11:15:
Kamikire wrote on 2021-09-17 17:51:32:
Being a mammal requires mammary glands. That's what "mammal" means. So I'm pretty sure none of the dragon breeds are mammals.
you think they'd give something mammaries on a pg-13 site?

What we should really be asking is why the miths have mammaries and if this makes them mammals or bugs

and also why the two from the coloring contest are still missing their highlights years after the fact

16248.png16247.png338.png
7m8ENT7.gif
x x x
Ceremonial Scythe Sharpened Scythe
x x
Wishlist
Platypus
Platypus
sBdLZtA.png
[quote name="KyreDusk" date="2021-09-18 03:10:51" ] Mammal-like reptiles [/quote] synapsids?
KyreDusk wrote on 2021-09-18 03:10:51:
Mammal-like reptiles
synapsids?

NN9NPXA.png
P9aWhak.png
OxagJgG.png
WKtl2lb.png
haxorus.gif

t3kr0g.png
[quote name="Sparkledog" date="2021-09-18 10:12:32" ] are you implying you believe tundras lactate [/quote] crop milk
Sparkledog wrote on 2021-09-18 10:12:32:
crop milk

NN9NPXA.png
P9aWhak.png
OxagJgG.png
WKtl2lb.png
haxorus.gif

t3kr0g.png
1 2 3 4