Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | next time let's do something different
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
[quote name="Deramadus" date="2021-06-15 08:25:08" ] I think the problem is that due to all previous anniversaries giving us a new feature to the site on the 8th, we were all expecting for this feature to be implemented last Tuesday. So people were already waiting before then, and for there to be another week on top of that is unprecedented and surprised a lot of people. Now, this isn't a bad thing! I [i]am [/i]loving the event. But people are starting to get impatient since it's taken a whole other week to get the anni update. Perhaps the event itself was supposed to be the new feature implemented in the anni update, but it sure wasn't showcased as such. Instead, it seems more like a minigame that the userbase has to clear in order to get the actual update, which, again, has never been done before. Basically, people were expecting the update to happen a week ago, so while waiting a few days is certainly not the end of the world, it makes sense that some people are getting antsy. In contrast, everyone is used to waiting 6 days to hatch a nest, or waiting 15 days to breed a dragon again. A more apt comparison is if you one day went to breed your dragons and expected it to take 6 days, as per usual, to hatch, but then you see it will take 12 days instead. It's not hard to wait that long, but it's a subversion of expectations that everyone has come to expect. In any case, I do love this event! There should definitely be more!! I just think that perhaps this event should have started before the anni, to hype it up, and then we all get the final update on the 8th. But anyways, I hope this helps a bit?? I don't want to start fights or anything at all, just wanted to put my interpretation of people's frustrations out there. :) [/quote] yes yes yes exactly!!! i, personally, wouldve been fine either way. but i mentioned how my autism hinders my excitement for things so its like… eh! wtvr, ill just dress up my dragons!
Deramadus wrote on 2021-06-15 08:25:08:
I think the problem is that due to all previous anniversaries giving us a new feature to the site on the 8th, we were all expecting for this feature to be implemented last Tuesday. So people were already waiting before then, and for there to be another week on top of that is unprecedented and surprised a lot of people. Now, this isn't a bad thing! I am loving the event. But people are starting to get impatient since it's taken a whole other week to get the anni update. Perhaps the event itself was supposed to be the new feature implemented in the anni update, but it sure wasn't showcased as such. Instead, it seems more like a minigame that the userbase has to clear in order to get the actual update, which, again, has never been done before.

Basically, people were expecting the update to happen a week ago, so while waiting a few days is certainly not the end of the world, it makes sense that some people are getting antsy. In contrast, everyone is used to waiting 6 days to hatch a nest, or waiting 15 days to breed a dragon again. A more apt comparison is if you one day went to breed your dragons and expected it to take 6 days, as per usual, to hatch, but then you see it will take 12 days instead. It's not hard to wait that long, but it's a subversion of expectations that everyone has come to expect.

In any case, I do love this event! There should definitely be more!! I just think that perhaps this event should have started before the anni, to hype it up, and then we all get the final update on the 8th. But anyways, I hope this helps a bit?? I don't want to start fights or anything at all, just wanted to put my interpretation of people's frustrations out there. :)

yes yes yes exactly!!! i, personally, wouldve been fine either way. but i mentioned how my autism hinders my excitement for things so its like… eh! wtvr, ill just dress up my dragons!
z0d96Tv.png peri, he/him
adult
fr time
quitting/gone
People did get grinding burnout yesterday, and bad. And that's certainly worth thinking about for future events. But at a certain point - how do staff stop people from grinding too much or too hard? They tried to tell people to slow down, they also had cooldowns for every phase so far, so we knew there would be a cooldown for this one, they announced when the maintenance would be - leaving us with a pretty clear idea of when the big "reveal" would be enacted, and they specifically clarified the maintenance was not for the next fest, so we knew it was for this. The only clear way seems to be "make things easier to get so people don't grind as long," but then that gives fewer people the opportunity to contribute to the actual progress (they could contribute during cooldown, sure, and it's good that that is an option, but it feels different from actually helping the bar reach 100%). No matter how many items go into the bar, people are going to grind to complete it as quickly as possible. And that's totally fine, people like grinding, and mad respect to the people who pushed us here. But at a certain point, and after staff said/did everything they did, the grind was somewhat self-imposed. Honestly it seems the biggest problem grind-wise with this last phase was that it was focused on one item, and therefore didn't feel like overall progress towards the goal, but one specific drop rate holding people back, which was guaranteed to be frustrating and was an oversight. Staff seems pretty aware of that at this point and I doubt it will be the case in the future. [img]https://i.imgur.com/Hd8l2IQ.jpeg[/img]
People did get grinding burnout yesterday, and bad. And that's certainly worth thinking about for future events.

But at a certain point - how do staff stop people from grinding too much or too hard? They tried to tell people to slow down, they also had cooldowns for every phase so far, so we knew there would be a cooldown for this one, they announced when the maintenance would be - leaving us with a pretty clear idea of when the big "reveal" would be enacted, and they specifically clarified the maintenance was not for the next fest, so we knew it was for this.

The only clear way seems to be "make things easier to get so people don't grind as long," but then that gives fewer people the opportunity to contribute to the actual progress (they could contribute during cooldown, sure, and it's good that that is an option, but it feels different from actually helping the bar reach 100%). No matter how many items go into the bar, people are going to grind to complete it as quickly as possible. And that's totally fine, people like grinding, and mad respect to the people who pushed us here. But at a certain point, and after staff said/did everything they did, the grind was somewhat self-imposed.

Honestly it seems the biggest problem grind-wise with this last phase was that it was focused on one item, and therefore didn't feel like overall progress towards the goal, but one specific drop rate holding people back, which was guaranteed to be frustrating and was an oversight. Staff seems pretty aware of that at this point and I doubt it will be the case in the future.

Hd8l2IQ.jpeg
QBCyWSS.png
[quote name="Oranitha" date="2021-06-15 08:21:28" ] I think it was pretty late where mousemod was, and I'm betting she meant it as like "hey, if you NEVER finish this you won't get to see what's at the end." Not that the event would end without us getting anything, just that if everyone just stopped handing stuff in, we'd have "Dustcarve Dig [NEW]" in the sidebar for eternity. [/quote] That's how I read it too. The person she was responding to said something along the lines of "what if we just all stopped handing anything in?" and she was like, "Well, then the event won't end, so you won't ever see the ending."
Oranitha wrote on 2021-06-15 08:21:28:
I think it was pretty late where mousemod was, and I'm betting she meant it as like "hey, if you NEVER finish this you won't get to see what's at the end." Not that the event would end without us getting anything, just that if everyone just stopped handing stuff in, we'd have "Dustcarve Dig [NEW]" in the sidebar for eternity.

That's how I read it too. The person she was responding to said something along the lines of "what if we just all stopped handing anything in?" and she was like, "Well, then the event won't end, so you won't ever see the ending."
tumblr_inline_nhxp29cBNA1qcphlu.png
Buying an additional apparel slot
unlocks it for ALL your dragons,
not just one!
tbh my only criticism about the event is i wished we had exact numbers on now many of each mat we needed. thank god for that person that looked in the source code to see we needed one million oil
tbh my only criticism about the event is i wished we had exact numbers on now many of each mat we needed. thank god for that person that looked in the source code to see we needed one million oil
elliot/wyrm
they/them or he/she
my two cents aren’t really worth much, but i’ve really loved every minute of this event. it’s just fun! i’ve loved the community-based collaborative approach, waiting for the reveals, coli grinding when i usually wouldn’t, and the drawn out anniversary celebration. it feels so lovely and special! i guess i understand why people wouldn’t enjoy the delayed gratification, but you can’t please everyone. i think if the event isn’t suited to your tastes or playstyle- that’s more than fine, but the options available to us were pretty much geared to make it fun even if you didn’t want to grind. you could turn in a single item and receive the prize and then log off until the next stage, that was totally valid. nobody needed to grind unless they wanted to. it seems to me like the devs have been up-front about telling people to pace themselves and take breaks, too.

if you aren’t a fan of delayed gratification, that’s also fine, but maybe keep in mind that this is kind of a lore-heavy, interactive site? i’m sure the devs weren’t drawing out the suspense to make people upset. we’re getting an expansion to the story that really feels important because of player contribution. i feel bad that people aren’t having fun, but i think so many of the complaints are very personal, rather than the event generally being poorly executed.
my two cents aren’t really worth much, but i’ve really loved every minute of this event. it’s just fun! i’ve loved the community-based collaborative approach, waiting for the reveals, coli grinding when i usually wouldn’t, and the drawn out anniversary celebration. it feels so lovely and special! i guess i understand why people wouldn’t enjoy the delayed gratification, but you can’t please everyone. i think if the event isn’t suited to your tastes or playstyle- that’s more than fine, but the options available to us were pretty much geared to make it fun even if you didn’t want to grind. you could turn in a single item and receive the prize and then log off until the next stage, that was totally valid. nobody needed to grind unless they wanted to. it seems to me like the devs have been up-front about telling people to pace themselves and take breaks, too.

if you aren’t a fan of delayed gratification, that’s also fine, but maybe keep in mind that this is kind of a lore-heavy, interactive site? i’m sure the devs weren’t drawing out the suspense to make people upset. we’re getting an expansion to the story that really feels important because of player contribution. i feel bad that people aren’t having fun, but i think so many of the complaints are very personal, rather than the event generally being poorly executed.
iPJL5Jc.png
[quote name="crypticgimmick" date="2021-06-15 08:27:49" ] [img]https://i.imgur.com/Hd8l2IQ.jpeg[/img] [/quote] summation of this entire event. i'm gonna start throwing rocks to make people rest up i s2g (imo, it might have been that people were desperate to have a conclusion to the event so they could have something they thought they were going to get on the date of the anniversary, as has been custom - Deramadus makes a good point about that. maybe the timing of the event made it seem like we had to [b]work for our reward[/b] this time around, which we [i]previously got for free,[/i] and with the grind frustrations it has everyone feeling down about the possibilities? something to think about.)
crypticgimmick wrote on 2021-06-15 08:27:49:
Hd8l2IQ.jpeg

summation of this entire event. i'm gonna start throwing rocks to make people rest up i s2g

(imo, it might have been that people were desperate to have a conclusion to the event so they could have something they thought they were going to get on the date of the anniversary, as has been custom - Deramadus makes a good point about that. maybe the timing of the event made it seem like we had to work for our reward this time around, which we previously got for free, and with the grind frustrations it has everyone feeling down about the possibilities? something to think about.)
Coastline-Sawbeak.png 5OZS7SI.png
bYt72YT.png
LRdLP2V.png
JvUa9ma.png
oouioVf.png
FObX7rS.png
mjtJ868.png
11efmKl.png
[quote name="crypticgimmick" date="2021-06-15 08:27:49" ] People did get grinding burnout yesterday, and bad. And that's certainly worth thinking about for future events. But at a certain point - how do staff stop people from grinding too much or too hard? They tried to tell people to slow down, they also had cooldowns for every phase so far, so we knew there would be a cooldown for this one, they announced when the maintenance would be - leaving us with a pretty clear idea of when the big "reveal" would be enacted, and they specifically clarified the maintenance was not for the next fest, so we knew it was for this. The only clear way seems to be "make things easier to get so people don't grind as long," but then that gives fewer people the opportunity to contribute to the actual progress (they could contribute during cooldown, sure, and it's good that that is an option, but it feels different from actually helping the bar reach 100%). No matter how many items go into the bar, people are going to grind to complete it as quickly as possible. And that's totally fine, people like grinding, and mad respect to the people who pushed us here. But at a certain point, and after staff said/did everything they did, the grind was somewhat self-imposed. Honestly it seems the biggest problem grind-wise with this last phase was that it was focused on one item, and therefore didn't feel like overall progress towards the goal, but one specific drop rate holding people back, which was guaranteed to be frustrating and was an oversight. Staff seems pretty aware of that at this point and I doubt it will be the case in the future. [img]https://i.imgur.com/Hd8l2IQ.jpeg[/img] [/quote] i guess like… how i mentioned in one post, the “deadline” (we’ll call it a deadline) for the whole event is tomorrow, which is when assumingly we’ll get the big prize, was dropped last minute?? so everyone scrambled to meet it before hand or else we’d have to wait ANOTHER 48 hours… so its like. im neutral in all of this btw, im just trying to put words to ppls frustrations bc ive been there!
People did get grinding burnout yesterday, and bad. And that's certainly worth thinking about for future events.

But at a certain point - how do staff stop people from grinding too much or too hard? They tried to tell people to slow down, they also had cooldowns for every phase so far, so we knew there would be a cooldown for this one, they announced when the maintenance would be - leaving us with a pretty clear idea of when the big "reveal" would be enacted, and they specifically clarified the maintenance was not for the next fest, so we knew it was for this.

The only clear way seems to be "make things easier to get so people don't grind as long," but then that gives fewer people the opportunity to contribute to the actual progress (they could contribute during cooldown, sure, and it's good that that is an option, but it feels different from actually helping the bar reach 100%). No matter how many items go into the bar, people are going to grind to complete it as quickly as possible. And that's totally fine, people like grinding, and mad respect to the people who pushed us here. But at a certain point, and after staff said/did everything they did, the grind was somewhat self-imposed.

Honestly it seems the biggest problem grind-wise with this last phase was that it was focused on one item, and therefore didn't feel like overall progress towards the goal, but one specific drop rate holding people back, which was guaranteed to be frustrating and was an oversight. Staff seems pretty aware of that at this point and I doubt it will be the case in the future.

Hd8l2IQ.jpeg

i guess like… how i mentioned in one post, the “deadline” (we’ll call it a deadline) for the whole event is tomorrow, which is when assumingly we’ll get the big prize, was dropped last minute?? so everyone scrambled to meet it before hand or else we’d have to wait ANOTHER 48 hours… so its like. im neutral in all of this btw, im just trying to put words to ppls frustrations bc ive been there!
z0d96Tv.png peri, he/him
adult
fr time
quitting/gone
[quote name="ceiswyn" date="2021-06-15 08:20:18" ] [quote name="miunizee" date="2021-06-15 08:13:06" ] also I made this topic in the FRD forum because I'm not suggesting anything, I want to see what people think of how to improve the event for future dates. The suggestions forum is too "Maybe we should add X, y/n", whereas I want a discussion. I am reading every single post, and even if it doesn't show, I am considering everything you guys say. My way of doing things has always been weird compared to most people, and seeing how many people here have a completely different experience is eye opening, tbh. [b]I didn't realize most people actually enjoy surprises lol[/b], even if it might sound strange for y'all [/quote] Well, then you've learned something today :) For me as a child, the main point of Christmas was the presents slowly appearing under the tree over the course of days or even weeks. I would poke them, shake them, and have a great time trying to guess what was in them; just the same as I've had great fun with the speculation on the forums over the last few days. And then after all that I still wouldn't know what was in them, and I'd get the big reveal. And that's what's happening tomorrow. Having an obvious toy dragon wrapped up under the tree for a week is no fun at all. Why even bother to wrap it?! [/quote] but here's the thing: you know those presents have toys. Opening a present and finding socks there is an universal experience in disapointment lol (also where I live, we don't tease the kids with the toys. We just put them under the tree the moment they're meant to be opened, while everyone is outside watching the fireworks! cultural thing) what are we waiting for in this event? a new site feature? a new breed? a revamp? all of the above? I don't know if we could tease these things without spoiling it, as you guys are calling it. The majority here seems to prefer to keep everything under wraps, so maybe the stuff had the right call here, even if I don't personally like it
ceiswyn wrote on 2021-06-15 08:20:18:
miunizee wrote on 2021-06-15 08:13:06:
also I made this topic in the FRD forum because I'm not suggesting anything, I want to see what people think of how to improve the event for future dates. The suggestions forum is too "Maybe we should add X, y/n", whereas I want a discussion. I am reading every single post, and even if it doesn't show, I am considering everything you guys say. My way of doing things has always been weird compared to most people, and seeing how many people here have a completely different experience is eye opening, tbh. I didn't realize most people actually enjoy surprises lol, even if it might sound strange for y'all

Well, then you've learned something today :)

For me as a child, the main point of Christmas was the presents slowly appearing under the tree over the course of days or even weeks. I would poke them, shake them, and have a great time trying to guess what was in them; just the same as I've had great fun with the speculation on the forums over the last few days.

And then after all that I still wouldn't know what was in them, and I'd get the big reveal. And that's what's happening tomorrow.

Having an obvious toy dragon wrapped up under the tree for a week is no fun at all. Why even bother to wrap it?!
but here's the thing: you know those presents have toys. Opening a present and finding socks there is an universal experience in disapointment lol (also where I live, we don't tease the kids with the toys. We just put them under the tree the moment they're meant to be opened, while everyone is outside watching the fireworks! cultural thing)

what are we waiting for in this event? a new site feature? a new breed? a revamp? all of the above?

I don't know if we could tease these things without spoiling it, as you guys are calling it. The majority here seems to prefer to keep everything under wraps, so maybe the stuff had the right call here, even if I don't personally like it
xu8NiU0.png
[quote name="crypticgimmick" date="2021-06-15 08:27:49" ] Honestly it seems the biggest problem grind-wise with this last phase was that it was focused on one item, and therefore didn't feel like overall progress towards the goal, but one specific drop rate holding people back, which was guaranteed to be frustrating and was an oversight. Staff seems pretty aware of that at this point and I doubt it will be the case in the future. [img]https://i.imgur.com/Hd8l2IQ.jpeg[/img] [/quote] snipped for size but i agree with the entire message wholeheartedly!

Hd8l2IQ.jpeg
snipped for size but i agree with the entire message wholeheartedly!
elliot/wyrm
they/them or he/she
So, we're going to go ahead and lock this thread, partly because it's a suggestion in FRD, and also due to the targeted commentarybeing posted, directed at your fellow players. Thank you for your feedback, we've been actively reading and discussing your feedback since Dustcarve Dig started. [b]I want to leave you with one thought:[/b] The event isn't over. You don't have the full picture yet. Sit tight, take a moment to breathe, and revisit feedback when this event is done in its entirety. [emoji=new friend size=1] [emoji=familiar heart size=1]
So, we're going to go ahead and lock this thread, partly because it's a suggestion in FRD, and also due to the targeted commentarybeing posted, directed at your fellow players.

Thank you for your feedback, we've been actively reading and discussing your feedback since Dustcarve Dig started.

I want to leave you with one thought:

The event isn't over. You don't have the full picture yet. Sit tight, take a moment to breathe, and revisit feedback when this event is done in its entirety.
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12