Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | suggestions forum is scary
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
[quote name="Naeryl" date="2021-02-28 21:26:52" ] [quote name="Werepunk" date="2021-02-28 21:20:25" ] It just so happens that I got into a bit of a debate with Almedha on a suggestions thread not long ago, and while we didn't end up agreeing (and I had to stop replying because I ran out of energy for long posts lol) I still feel like they were respectful and overall the conversation was really interesting and engaging. I walked away with a better understanding of the other side's opinion, even if I still don't agree with it. [/quote] If we're giving shoutouts, then I'd like to say Stormfly is an amazing regular who is super fun and nice to discuss with in threads. I've had a few back-and-forths with them and they've always ended on a pleasant note! [/quote] If we're giving shoutouts, Naeryl, Lykos, and DragonSage are also reasonable and well-reasoned (and I mentioned Jemadar upthread, and Almedha usually has points even when I don't end up agreeing).
Naeryl wrote on 2021-02-28 21:26:52:
Werepunk wrote on 2021-02-28 21:20:25:
It just so happens that I got into a bit of a debate with Almedha on a suggestions thread not long ago, and while we didn't end up agreeing (and I had to stop replying because I ran out of energy for long posts lol) I still feel like they were respectful and overall the conversation was really interesting and engaging. I walked away with a better understanding of the other side's opinion, even if I still don't agree with it.
If we're giving shoutouts, then I'd like to say Stormfly is an amazing regular who is super fun and nice to discuss with in threads. I've had a few back-and-forths with them and they've always ended on a pleasant note!

If we're giving shoutouts, Naeryl, Lykos, and DragonSage are also reasonable and well-reasoned (and I mentioned Jemadar upthread, and Almedha usually has points even when I don't end up agreeing).
pings off | plz no random friend requests/PMs/profile comments
Thanks so much for the insight, Undel! If you do peek into this thread again (I don't want to ping you as I'm sure you get plenty already), can I ask if it's possible you guys might reconsider your stance on posting as developers in the board? I think in the site's first year or so developers posted rather frequently; I'm curious about the transition.

Also Jon, I heart you. Wish we had post reacts so I could give you a real one.
Thanks so much for the insight, Undel! If you do peek into this thread again (I don't want to ping you as I'm sure you get plenty already), can I ask if it's possible you guys might reconsider your stance on posting as developers in the board? I think in the site's first year or so developers posted rather frequently; I'm curious about the transition.

fo11Vhp.png
[quote name="Naeryl" date="2021-02-28 21:35:59" ] Thanks so much for the insight, Undel! If you do peek into this thread again (I don't want to ping you as I'm sure you get plenty already), can I ask if it's possible you guys might reconsider your stance on posting as developers in the board? I think in the site's first year or so developers posted rather frequently; I'm curious about the transition. Also Jon, I heart you. Wish we had post reacts so I could give you a real one. [/quote] We prefer not to comment on the suggestions forum as policy. If we do comment one way or another on a suggestion, it will read as "yes, this will be implemented" or "no, this will not be implemented." and will shut down discussion. Often the initial ideas in the suggestions forum morph or are added to through the course of discussion. We also don't want to endorse something and have it read as a promise; when it comes time to revamp the associated feature, another idea might work better or the suggestion may no longer work. We also don't want to shut something down that could have developed into an idea that would work better. Note that our code of conduct still applies to the suggestions forum, so please treat each other with respect even if you do not agree with another person's ideas for the site!
Naeryl wrote on 2021-02-28 21:35:59:

We prefer not to comment on the suggestions forum as policy. If we do comment one way or another on a suggestion, it will read as "yes, this will be implemented" or "no, this will not be implemented." and will shut down discussion. Often the initial ideas in the suggestions forum morph or are added to through the course of discussion.

We also don't want to endorse something and have it read as a promise; when it comes time to revamp the associated feature, another idea might work better or the suggestion may no longer work. We also don't want to shut something down that could have developed into an idea that would work better.

Note that our code of conduct still applies to the suggestions forum, so please treat each other with respect even if you do not agree with another person's ideas for the site!
... does honesty make you uncomfortable? I’m somewhat inexperienced with it, but I’ve never seen rude behavior on the Suggestions forum. I agree with it being scariest, it has a more serious vibe when you’re looking through the threads, but you quickly become familiarized even without active participation and it feels like a friendly environment.
... does honesty make you uncomfortable? I’m somewhat inexperienced with it, but I’ve never seen rude behavior on the Suggestions forum. I agree with it being scariest, it has a more serious vibe when you’re looking through the threads, but you quickly become familiarized even without active participation and it feels like a friendly environment.
1b82b988bb765cc205b1929d59a834f02c6e137a.png
bYt72YT.pngLRdLP2V.pngjI9KbMj.pngUdd22Jj.pngQQYyU47.pngJ7D1quC.png
q7KYqlT.pngFObX7rS.pngBzjAkuF.pngTsZSlfa.pngq7KYqlT.png
[quote name="Pokoko" date="2021-02-28 21:43:07" ] ... does honesty make you uncomfortable? I’m somewhat inexperienced with it, but I’ve never seen rude behavior on the Suggestions forum. I agree with it being scariest, it has a more serious vibe when you’re looking through the threads, but you quickly become familiarized even without active participation and it feels like a friendly environment. [/quote] There's a fine line between being honest and being mean and I see that line crossed a lot in the suggestions forum.
Pokoko wrote on 2021-02-28 21:43:07:

There's a fine line between being honest and being mean and I see that line crossed a lot in the suggestions forum.
93fkMbU.png Lljxkv3.gif My username isn't a reference to Borderlands 2, got it from the killer doll episode of The Twilight Zone! SsBvTtd.gif BiBear.png
[quote name="Tinytalkingtina" date="2021-02-28 21:50:50" ] [quote name="Pokoko" date="2021-02-28 21:43:07" ] ... does honesty make you uncomfortable? I’m somewhat inexperienced with it, but I’ve never seen rude behavior on the Suggestions forum. I agree with it being scariest, it has a more serious vibe when you’re looking through the threads, but you quickly become familiarized even without active participation and it feels like a friendly environment. [/quote] There's a fine line between being honest and being mean and I see that line crossed a lot in the suggestions forum. [/quote] It depends. Also, I'm not sure if this is a taboo discussion, but there was this one user I remembered getting extremely upset about how the website worked(or its lack of working, rather.) Suggestions is rather tame for the most part but it's times like those that give it the reputation of hostility, I guess.
Tinytalkingtina wrote on 2021-02-28 21:50:50:

There's a fine line between being honest and being mean and I see that line crossed a lot in the suggestions forum.
It depends. Also, I'm not sure if this is a taboo discussion, but there was this one user I remembered getting extremely upset about how the website worked(or its lack of working, rather.) Suggestions is rather tame for the most part but it's times like those that give it the reputation of hostility, I guess.

One day, will these too become but distant memories?
. . .
Yes, in the blink of an eye.

[quote name="Tinytalkingtina" date="2021-02-28 21:50:50" ] [quote name="Pokoko" date="2021-02-28 21:43:07" ] ... does honesty make you uncomfortable? I’m somewhat inexperienced with it, but I’ve never seen rude behavior on the Suggestions forum. I agree with it being scariest, it has a more serious vibe when you’re looking through the threads, but you quickly become familiarized even without active participation and it feels like a friendly environment. [/quote] There's a fine line between being honest and being mean and I see that line crossed a lot in the suggestions forum. [/quote] it's pretty easy to misconstrue someone's words online, as anyone who goes online should know. it's worth it to read people's posts with the benefit of the doubt rather than negatively. any posts that contain legitimate harassment or trolling are moderated and removed within a few hours, from what i've seen, and I haven't seen many.
Tinytalkingtina wrote on 2021-02-28 21:50:50:

it's pretty easy to misconstrue someone's words online, as anyone who goes online should know. it's worth it to read people's posts with the benefit of the doubt rather than negatively. any posts that contain legitimate harassment or trolling are moderated and removed within a few hours, from what i've seen, and I haven't seen many.
33352.png U65gRpm.png EP9270D.png 33351.png
There’s a frequent joke offsite that the suggestions forum is where the coliseum PVP is now. Suggestions forums are like this on every site I’ve been to—the battlefield of ideas is not great for the faint of heart. I rarely visit it, but I really respect those of who do! It’s really interesting to hear the staff’s take on the forum, and that it’s actually useful to them, as I’ve seen some suggestions boards that seemed pretty ignored before. I’m very excited whenever a suggestion on flight rising becomes real, like when loaches were implemented as familiars! [item=cinderkelp loach][item=Tendril loach]
There’s a frequent joke offsite that the suggestions forum is where the coliseum PVP is now. Suggestions forums are like this on every site I’ve been to—the battlefield of ideas is not great for the faint of heart. I rarely visit it, but I really respect those of who do! It’s really interesting to hear the staff’s take on the forum, and that it’s actually useful to them, as I’ve seen some suggestions boards that seemed pretty ignored before. I’m very excited whenever a suggestion on flight rising becomes real, like when loaches were implemented as familiars!
Cinderkelp Loach Tendril Loach
eMEGEDb.png ZNxgKR1.png
XbSdY0K.png Water Flight!
Krabbu.tumblr.com
KabutoMushii
pSM4PRm.png
vzB8uzj.png
No I don't get this feeling. I have seen some toxicity but it's a minority of the time and the person going too far is often told outright they're being rude.

If someone points out that an idea is bad and lists all of the reasons it's awful, that's not being mean. But people make the mistake of going into the suggestions forum thinking they've got the next million dollar idea and then are personally offended when people start disagreeing.
No I don't get this feeling. I have seen some toxicity but it's a minority of the time and the person going too far is often told outright they're being rude.

If someone points out that an idea is bad and lists all of the reasons it's awful, that's not being mean. But people make the mistake of going into the suggestions forum thinking they've got the next million dollar idea and then are personally offended when people start disagreeing.
She|Her - Ace - FRT(0) | Lore
g67EwfB.png
Gonna... third? some love for the forum regulars, always enjoy seeing y'alls takes on stuff. I do think the tone is pretty different to, like, FRD and I think some people go in there expecting it to be the same and are surprised when people are open and blunt about disagreement. The threads I see go actually toxic are nearly always either ones about unnamed exalts where the suggester gets aggressive toward people who don't support or ones where there's a mental health component which always attracts the Just Get Over It and/or Just Stop Playing FR Then replies. also, i too am gonna not ping undel [quote name="Undel" date="2021-02-28 21:43:06" ] [quote name="Naeryl" date="2021-02-28 21:35:59" ] Thanks so much for the insight, Undel! If you do peek into this thread again (I don't want to ping you as I'm sure you get plenty already), can I ask if it's possible you guys might reconsider your stance on posting as developers in the board? I think in the site's first year or so developers posted rather frequently; I'm curious about the transition. Also Jon, I heart you. Wish we had post reacts so I could give you a real one. [/quote] We prefer not to comment on the suggestions forum as policy. If we do comment one way or another on a suggestion, it will read as "yes, this will be implemented" or "no, this will not be implemented." and will shut down discussion. Often the initial ideas in the suggestions forum morph or are added to through the course of discussion. We also don't want to endorse something and have it read as a promise; when it comes time to revamp the associated feature, another idea might work better or the suggestion may no longer work. We also don't want to shut something down that could have developed into an idea that would work better. Note that our code of conduct still applies to the suggestions forum, so please treat each other with respect even if you do not agree with another person's ideas for the site! [/quote] I get where this is coming from, but it seems like some suggestions would benefit from knowing where y'alls heads are at with some ongoing things (captchas and natural eyes come to mind as the most recent I've seen on the first page) so that we could know what direction to focus our discussions in. Also maybe some neutral input from the coding-y devs along the lines of "y'all don't need to worry about the coding difficulty of this thing" because as Naeryl mentioned those discussions generally can't go anywhere from a player side.
Gonna... third? some love for the forum regulars, always enjoy seeing y'alls takes on stuff. I do think the tone is pretty different to, like, FRD and I think some people go in there expecting it to be the same and are surprised when people are open and blunt about disagreement. The threads I see go actually toxic are nearly always either ones about unnamed exalts where the suggester gets aggressive toward people who don't support or ones where there's a mental health component which always attracts the Just Get Over It and/or Just Stop Playing FR Then replies.

also, i too am gonna not ping undel
Undel wrote on 2021-02-28 21:43:06:
Naeryl wrote on 2021-02-28 21:35:59:

We prefer not to comment on the suggestions forum as policy. If we do comment one way or another on a suggestion, it will read as "yes, this will be implemented" or "no, this will not be implemented." and will shut down discussion. Often the initial ideas in the suggestions forum morph or are added to through the course of discussion.

We also don't want to endorse something and have it read as a promise; when it comes time to revamp the associated feature, another idea might work better or the suggestion may no longer work. We also don't want to shut something down that could have developed into an idea that would work better.

Note that our code of conduct still applies to the suggestions forum, so please treat each other with respect even if you do not agree with another person's ideas for the site!
I get where this is coming from, but it seems like some suggestions would benefit from knowing where y'alls heads are at with some ongoing things (captchas and natural eyes come to mind as the most recent I've seen on the first page) so that we could know what direction to focus our discussions in. Also maybe some neutral input from the coding-y devs along the lines of "y'all don't need to worry about the coding difficulty of this thing" because as Naeryl mentioned those discussions generally can't go anywhere from a player side.
wq9PoXA.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7