Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | "How do hyperfixations feel like?"
1 2 3 4
With me and special interests, I become so excited by it that I begin to feel nauseous. I cannot stop smiling, and unless I stop myself, all my conversations circle back to the topic that is my special interest.
With me and special interests, I become so excited by it that I begin to feel nauseous. I cannot stop smiling, and unless I stop myself, all my conversations circle back to the topic that is my special interest.
Live for today, gone tomorrow.
swclpXz.jpg
That's me.
It takes up like 98% of my brain space, the other 2% goes to 'wait,, I have a life.. right.'

Please help me I know too much about minecraft and I can/have played for hOURS. help.
It takes up like 98% of my brain space, the other 2% goes to 'wait,, I have a life.. right.'

Please help me I know too much about minecraft and I can/have played for hOURS. help.
2KwZtRK.png7nppAyR.png
my friends beg for me to talk about literally anything other than The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, but i cannot hear them over the sound of me explaining the connections between elder scrolls metaphysics and hindu/buddhist philosophy
my friends beg for me to talk about literally anything other than The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, but i cannot hear them over the sound of me explaining the connections between elder scrolls metaphysics and hindu/buddhist philosophy
hikaru
22 • he/him • eng/jpn • fr+3

click here for a random bird
________
I remember when I first developed an SI for JoJo I would literally get a high from watching it that I would have to come down from before I could think about anything else. My thoughts would go in circles about it. I miss that "honeymoon period..."
I remember when I first developed an SI for JoJo I would literally get a high from watching it that I would have to come down from before I could think about anything else. My thoughts would go in circles about it. I miss that "honeymoon period..."
I7a1ndF.pngOxagJgG.pngWBC5JG3.pngwOEIAes.png
Hyperfixations take over every thought in my mind until they pass. Its all I want to/can think about, talk about, or engage with. Which isn't always great for the people who talk to me :c Thankfully they all seem pretty understanding of it now, and I've put alot of effort into trying to rein it in a little. Its not been super successful, but they appreciate the effort, which is good! Currently hyperfixating on Wolf's Rain for the first time in 10 years [quote name="Hypercoaster" date="2020-12-15 15:19:40" ] @ZipperLocks When I get a new special interest, I enter a rambling phase where I want to constantly talk about it. I also think about it pretty non-stop. This lasts about 1-2 years, and then, the need to ramble dies down and the subject becomes just like the rest of my special interests. The last time I had a rambling interest was from 2009-2011. I miss the giddy feelings of happiness. The way I feel during my rambling phases of special interests is really well-described by the following quote from Mean Girls: "I was a woman possessed. I spent 80% of the time talking about Regina, and the other 20% of the time, I kept praying for somebody to bring her up, so I can talk about her more. I could hear people getting bored with me, but I couldn't stop. It just kept coming up, like word vomit." ^ Do any others relate? :P [/quote] Its exactly like this for me, too!
Hyperfixations take over every thought in my mind until they pass. Its all I want to/can think about, talk about, or engage with. Which isn't always great for the people who talk to me :c Thankfully they all seem pretty understanding of it now, and I've put alot of effort into trying to rein it in a little. Its not been super successful, but they appreciate the effort, which is good!

Currently hyperfixating on Wolf's Rain for the first time in 10 years
Hypercoaster wrote on 2020-12-15 15:19:40:
@ZipperLocks
When I get a new special interest, I enter a rambling phase where I want to constantly talk about it. I also think about it pretty non-stop. This lasts about 1-2 years, and then, the need to ramble dies down and the subject becomes just like the rest of my special interests. The last time I had a rambling interest was from 2009-2011. I miss the giddy feelings of happiness.

The way I feel during my rambling phases of special interests is really well-described by the following quote from Mean Girls:

"I was a woman possessed. I spent 80% of the time talking about Regina, and the other 20% of the time, I kept praying for somebody to bring her up, so I can talk about her more. I could hear people getting bored with me, but I couldn't stop. It just kept coming up, like word vomit."

^ Do any others relate? :P

Its exactly like this for me, too!
I hyperfixate on certain dragons occasionally. Like for now, its Butter!

In the past year I fixated on butterflies, fountain pens and animal crossing. Could not consume any media about anything else , haha! I've learned to just keep most of the hype to myself though after people getting fed up or making fun of me :S

My biggest hyperfixations are individual songs though. Those feel so *important*.
I hyperfixate on certain dragons occasionally. Like for now, its Butter!

In the past year I fixated on butterflies, fountain pens and animal crossing. Could not consume any media about anything else , haha! I've learned to just keep most of the hype to myself though after people getting fed up or making fun of me :S

My biggest hyperfixations are individual songs though. Those feel so *important*.
Heart.gif
hyperfixations are hell bc they're usually only stuff i like (sometimes others will get into the same thing but usually after i stopped hyperfixating) and i can't infodump abt them bc then i'd feel bad for annoying my friends ;3; hyperfixating + executive dsyfunction is hell [emoji=ridgeback sad]
hyperfixations are hell bc they're usually only stuff i like (sometimes others will get into the same thing but usually after i stopped hyperfixating) and i can't infodump abt them bc then i'd feel bad for annoying my friends ;3;
hyperfixating + executive dsyfunction is hell
8WTwXo3.gif he/they/xey
chaotic neutral
g585y1V.png
OxagJgG.png

z3FSuck.png
apUeZZ4.png
W3QjiXj.png tI1ezOM.png
2557821.png
Dude I thought hyperfixations were a normal thing. I didn't know I was neurodivergent until recently and upon talking to more neurodivergent people, I realized my disorder affects, like, everything and a lot of the stuff I thought was normal is not.

I've been hyperfixating over hamilton for YEARS. That's one of the ones that's stuck with me the longest. Over the past year or so I've started hyperfixating on Greek mythology and that's been... interesting. I think one of my favorite things to do right now is talking to people about it. Thankfully, I have a group of IRL friends who are also neurodivergent and hyper fixate, and they actually like it when I infodump because it makes me happy haha.

I have other things I hyperfixate over, but they're kinda smaller and easier to push away. Overall, yeah, hyperfixating kind of feels like a prison sometimes, and it's WACK.
Dude I thought hyperfixations were a normal thing. I didn't know I was neurodivergent until recently and upon talking to more neurodivergent people, I realized my disorder affects, like, everything and a lot of the stuff I thought was normal is not.

I've been hyperfixating over hamilton for YEARS. That's one of the ones that's stuck with me the longest. Over the past year or so I've started hyperfixating on Greek mythology and that's been... interesting. I think one of my favorite things to do right now is talking to people about it. Thankfully, I have a group of IRL friends who are also neurodivergent and hyper fixate, and they actually like it when I infodump because it makes me happy haha.

I have other things I hyperfixate over, but they're kinda smaller and easier to push away. Overall, yeah, hyperfixating kind of feels like a prison sometimes, and it's WACK.
-Lemon, the keeper of all citrus kind

always overwhelmingly overwhelmed

Very open to chatting with anyone about anything ever.

If you want me to see your reply, please ping me!
I experience hyperfixations, and I live with people who experience them even worse. I'll get so totally obsessed with something, and then several weeks later burn out completely until I cycle back around.

It's a hard habit to break, but I'm trying.
I experience hyperfixations, and I live with people who experience them even worse. I'll get so totally obsessed with something, and then several weeks later burn out completely until I cycle back around.

It's a hard habit to break, but I'm trying.
ice_small.png tRvB8Xn.pngg585y1V.pngbYt72YT.pngJ7D1quC.png
BT1N47G.pngIUweZNB.pngqhK4FYS.png5hF3FGk.png
Just a tired gal who likes to talk too much ^^
It's been 5 days and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it 24/7 and now my life seems to revolve around it and every drop of information I can dig up about it. Everyone I come across has to be made aware of this amazing thing that Im interested in because it makes me so happy, it would probably make them happy too right?
Until I few weeks later and I have lost all interest and leave it to find a new hype.
It's been 5 days and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it 24/7 and now my life seems to revolve around it and every drop of information I can dig up about it. Everyone I come across has to be made aware of this amazing thing that Im interested in because it makes me so happy, it would probably make them happy too right?
Until I few weeks later and I have lost all interest and leave it to find a new hype.
Pressiboo #157888

8+ fr time
1 2 3 4