Back

Bug Report Forums

Report bugs and errors to the Flight Rising development team.
TOPIC | Hoard update not working
1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 34 35
[quote name="FliptheFrog" date="2020-11-03 20:43:50" ] On the screenshots you posted, in the top right corner of the Firefox browser, there is a red and green icon for a Firefox extension that I don't recognize. What is that extension? If you turn that extension off, does it fix the problem? [/quote] That extension icon looks like the McAfee antivirus protection icon. Now.... as it goes, about 10 years ago there was this whole thing about Mcafee interacting badly with javascript. Because it would treat it as a virus. I never messed with Mcafee (was always a Norton user back then) but I did find one support thread about the issue still up. [url]https://community.mcafee.com/t5/Consumer-General-Discussions/MacAfee-vs-JavaScript/td-p/266492#:~:text=No%20it%20doesn%27t%20block%20it.[/url] [quote]Does McAfee block Javascript? I encounter an error when I surfing the net that JavaScript is not enabled. I check all the settings and it shows clearly that JavaScript is enabled. I performed a test and disabled McAfee and went back to the same website where I got the JavaScript error and it loaded no problem. So, again does McAfee block JavaScript? Is there a setting or steps I can take to resolve this issue?[/quote] And this particularly familiar sounding proble from a post back in 2011. https://community.mcafee.com/t5/Web-Gateway/Strange-issue-when-accessing-a-certain-website/td-p/274709 [quote] Strange issue when accessing a certain website [McAfee WebGateway in cluster mode version 6.8.6] When a client access the site http://www.leatherheadfood.com/ there is no problem, but when he/she clicks on the LOGIN button it gives a blank page. The direct link is http://www.leatherheadfood.com/login When going directly (without the mcafee webgateway) the site works well. There's noting in the reporting or debugging information. Any idea? Regards, Ray [/quote] But one of the recommended fixes involves going into the computer's 'Manage Add-ons" settings. Which I think may be a bit too advanced for OP. But it would be something for them to ask a tech repair shop to check into. But first, turn off that extension and see if it helps!
FliptheFrog wrote on 2020-11-03 20:43:50:
On the screenshots you posted, in the top right corner of the Firefox browser, there is a red and green icon for a Firefox extension that I don't recognize. What is that extension? If you turn that extension off, does it fix the problem?

That extension icon looks like the McAfee antivirus protection icon. Now.... as it goes, about 10 years ago there was this whole thing about Mcafee interacting badly with javascript. Because it would treat it as a virus. I never messed with Mcafee (was always a Norton user back then) but I did find one support thread about the issue still up.

https://community.mcafee.com/t5/Consumer-General-Discussions/MacAfee-vs-JavaScript/td-p/266492#:~:text=No%20it%20doesn%27t%20block%20it.
Quote:
Does McAfee block Javascript? I encounter an error when I surfing the net that JavaScript is not enabled. I check all the settings and it shows clearly that JavaScript is enabled. I performed a test and disabled McAfee and went back to the same website where I got the JavaScript error and it loaded no problem. So, again does McAfee block JavaScript? Is there a setting or steps I can take to resolve this issue?

And this particularly familiar sounding proble from a post back in 2011.
https://community.mcafee.com/t5/Web-Gateway/Strange-issue-when-accessing-a-certain-website/td-p/274709
Quote:
Strange issue when accessing a certain website
[McAfee WebGateway in cluster mode version 6.8.6]

When a client access the site http://www.leatherheadfood.com/ there is no problem, but when he/she clicks on the LOGIN button it gives a blank page.

The direct link is http://www.leatherheadfood.com/login

When going directly (without the mcafee webgateway) the site works well.

There's noting in the reporting or debugging information.

Any idea?

Regards,

Ray

But one of the recommended fixes involves going into the computer's 'Manage Add-ons" settings. Which I think may be a bit too advanced for OP. But it would be something for them to ask a tech repair shop to check into.

But first, turn off that extension and see if it helps!
Long Patrol and Hibden
for forum games, please.
QF3R6o0.png mFu1NtF.png
[/center]
Thanks for the screenshots @AnpuRa! Several possibilities come to mind:
  1. As already mentioned, this could be caused by McAfee. I know earlier I had asked if any plugins were running, but this is sort of a special case, since it's not really a normal plugin. I do think it's a very likely cause.
  2. If you are browsing in privacy mode, please try again with that turned off.
  3. Do you use any secondary languages in Firefox? Apparently there's a known issue where this affects this tool (although I'm not personally familiar with Firefox "language packs)
  4. Is the network tab blank for other sites too? Please go to another site like Tumblr or Google and check if anything pops up either in the Console or Network tabs. That will let us know FOR SURE, that it's not a scrap of bad code causing it.
  5. The Developer Console supports moving where it's "docked" or positioned. There's a small possibility that un-docking it will fix a visual-related bug. To try this, press the "..." button near the top-right of the Developer Console and select "Separate Window" this should undock the tool and you may see new stuff pop up when you refresh the Hoard page.
Thanks for the screenshots @AnpuRa! Several possibilities come to mind:
  1. As already mentioned, this could be caused by McAfee. I know earlier I had asked if any plugins were running, but this is sort of a special case, since it's not really a normal plugin. I do think it's a very likely cause.
  2. If you are browsing in privacy mode, please try again with that turned off.
  3. Do you use any secondary languages in Firefox? Apparently there's a known issue where this affects this tool (although I'm not personally familiar with Firefox "language packs)
  4. Is the network tab blank for other sites too? Please go to another site like Tumblr or Google and check if anything pops up either in the Console or Network tabs. That will let us know FOR SURE, that it's not a scrap of bad code causing it.
  5. The Developer Console supports moving where it's "docked" or positioned. There's a small possibility that un-docking it will fix a visual-related bug. To try this, press the "..." button near the top-right of the Developer Console and select "Separate Window" this should undock the tool and you may see new stuff pop up when you refresh the Hoard page.
~ Flight Rising Engineering Team ~
- Do you want to hear what I said again? Hoot hoot!

Flight Rising
Knowledge Base

Flight Rising Rules & Policies
@Kaepora

1. I never had any issues with McAfee before.
2. I have no idea how to turn off privacy mode, let alone how to even turn it on.
3. I only have English set up
4. I went to an art site I'm on and poked around. I got this from a minute of bouncing around pages and pictures there. https://www.dropbox.com/s/jxmxaxfxityhafq/FRscreenshot%203.png?dl=0
5. not really sure how to undock it

I'm sorry if that wasn't much help
@Kaepora

1. I never had any issues with McAfee before.
2. I have no idea how to turn off privacy mode, let alone how to even turn it on.
3. I only have English set up
4. I went to an art site I'm on and poked around. I got this from a minute of bouncing around pages and pictures there. https://www.dropbox.com/s/jxmxaxfxityhafq/FRscreenshot%203.png?dl=0
5. not really sure how to undock it

I'm sorry if that wasn't much help
@AnpuRa
  1. It's great that it has worked solidly for you in the past, but I wouldn't say that removes it from being a potential cause. All cars run perfectly until they stop. To eliminate the possibility, can you turn McAfee off entirely, then run a new test? Keep in mind that, with software like this, you need to be very certain it's 100% off.
  2. Okay, we'll assume that it's off since usually there'd be an icon in the top-right corner of your window indicating it's in Privacy Mode.
  3. Excellent! We can eliminate that option.
  4. That's great! But I'm not clear I understand everything with your response. You mentioned that this is how it looked "from a minute of bouncing around". Does that mean that you were getting nothing in that tab until after a few minutes, or was data coming in the entire time and you just happened to stop after a few minutes to take the screenshot. I'd be interested in knowing what your network tab does just by opening one page. Also, what does it look like when you open the main page for Flight Rising? And how about this super simple page?
  5. To undock Developer Console, click the "..." button in the top-right corner of Developer Console and select "Separate Window" from the menu.

Eliminating possible causes and providing new details is always helpful - especially when screenshots are involved - "A picture is worth a 1,000 words."
@AnpuRa
  1. It's great that it has worked solidly for you in the past, but I wouldn't say that removes it from being a potential cause. All cars run perfectly until they stop. To eliminate the possibility, can you turn McAfee off entirely, then run a new test? Keep in mind that, with software like this, you need to be very certain it's 100% off.
  2. Okay, we'll assume that it's off since usually there'd be an icon in the top-right corner of your window indicating it's in Privacy Mode.
  3. Excellent! We can eliminate that option.
  4. That's great! But I'm not clear I understand everything with your response. You mentioned that this is how it looked "from a minute of bouncing around". Does that mean that you were getting nothing in that tab until after a few minutes, or was data coming in the entire time and you just happened to stop after a few minutes to take the screenshot. I'd be interested in knowing what your network tab does just by opening one page. Also, what does it look like when you open the main page for Flight Rising? And how about this super simple page?
  5. To undock Developer Console, click the "..." button in the top-right corner of Developer Console and select "Separate Window" from the menu.

Eliminating possible causes and providing new details is always helpful - especially when screenshots are involved - "A picture is worth a 1,000 words."

Flight Rising
Knowledge Base

@Kaepora

In the screenshot, I was getting info in from the moment I switched on the Network tab. I could have taken a screenshot them, but decided to get some more activity first.
Seeing the activity flood in while on that site, makes it all the more strange that it was like radio silence on FR's Hoard.
Is that normal? The other site had more ads and gifs running, could that add to the Network activity?
@Kaepora

In the screenshot, I was getting info in from the moment I switched on the Network tab. I could have taken a screenshot them, but decided to get some more activity first.
Seeing the activity flood in while on that site, makes it all the more strange that it was like radio silence on FR's Hoard.
Is that normal? The other site had more ads and gifs running, could that add to the Network activity?
@AnpuRa [quote]could that add to the Network activity?[/quote] Absolutely. Every singe image, be it an ad loading in or a site logo, should create a record. Some sites load everything at first and then go silent. Other sites make frequent updates as you look at them. Flight Rising is in the middle of those extremes. When you open up Developer Console, it SHOULD stay open as you go from site-to-site. Can you open in on that site then navigate to Flight Rising for the tests I mentioned above? I'm particularly interested in our front page and that credits page I linked (the pages are very different in ways that may help) I'm also still interested in the other experiments mentioned, including turning off McAfee entirely.
@AnpuRa
Quote:
could that add to the Network activity?
Absolutely. Every singe image, be it an ad loading in or a site logo, should create a record. Some sites load everything at first and then go silent. Other sites make frequent updates as you look at them. Flight Rising is in the middle of those extremes.

When you open up Developer Console, it SHOULD stay open as you go from site-to-site. Can you open in on that site then navigate to Flight Rising for the tests I mentioned above? I'm particularly interested in our front page and that credits page I linked (the pages are very different in ways that may help)

I'm also still interested in the other experiments mentioned, including turning off McAfee entirely.

Flight Rising
Knowledge Base

@Kaepora

Have you been able to find out anything yet?
Things have been quiet here.
@Kaepora

Have you been able to find out anything yet?
Things have been quiet here.
@AnpuRa I believe Kaepora asked you to try the other steps they requested:
Quote:
Can you open in on that site then navigate to Flight Rising for the tests I mentioned above? I'm particularly interested in our front page and that credits page I linked (the pages are very different in ways that may help)

I'm also still interested in the other experiments mentioned, including turning off McAfee entirely.
@AnpuRa I believe Kaepora asked you to try the other steps they requested:
Quote:
Can you open in on that site then navigate to Flight Rising for the tests I mentioned above? I'm particularly interested in our front page and that credits page I linked (the pages are very different in ways that may help)

jPdGQf9.gif
itumblr_inline_ojq6kwwlmN1r2ao8y_540.png

iiifr+2
itiny_coatl.png140.pngimbcQX2i.pngitiny_sd.png
tumblr_inline_pafumapXAW1r16a5d_540.png
iiiiiiiii
bitumblr_inline_ojq6kqtzXZ1r2ao8y_540.png
tumblr_inline_n6kdvbu87Y1qlye38.gif
TTxEpjT.gif
How am I suppose to open the event chest?
How am I suppose to open the event chest?
@AnpuRa

If you want the problem to be fixed, you need to do all the other things that Kaepora asked you to do in order to figure out what the problem actually IS.

This problem is clearly specific to your setup, so if you won’t provide the information there is literally nothing that anybody else can do.
@AnpuRa

If you want the problem to be fixed, you need to do all the other things that Kaepora asked you to do in order to figure out what the problem actually IS.

This problem is clearly specific to your setup, so if you won’t provide the information there is literally nothing that anybody else can do.
Coffee Pot
May be grumpy before coffee. And after coffee. (FR+8)
5loJkio.jpg
1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 34 35