Back

Bug Report Forums

Report bugs and errors to the Flight Rising development team.
TOPIC | Hoard update not working
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 34 35
@AnpuRa

My current hunch is something is blocking the “request” that creates the Item Interaction Menu. Since every item has its own menu, we only put it together the moment you click on an item.

If you have any popup or ad blockers turned on, they could be mistaking this request as an ad or spyware (although it is neither).

The next step is to make sure anything like that is turned completely off (We can worry about fine tuning it later). Please give that a try. It would be best if that fixes it before we get into more technical testing.

Again, all we’re trying to do at this point is just getting that menu to show up - in any browser at all.
@AnpuRa

My current hunch is something is blocking the “request” that creates the Item Interaction Menu. Since every item has its own menu, we only put it together the moment you click on an item.

If you have any popup or ad blockers turned on, they could be mistaking this request as an ad or spyware (although it is neither).

The next step is to make sure anything like that is turned completely off (We can worry about fine tuning it later). Please give that a try. It would be best if that fixes it before we get into more technical testing.

Again, all we’re trying to do at this point is just getting that menu to show up - in any browser at all.
~ Flight Rising Engineering Team ~
- Do you want to hear what I said again? Hoot hoot!

Flight Rising
Knowledge Base

Flight Rising Rules & Policies
@Kaepora

I've tried it with and without any add on programs. I even tried browsers that have no add ons on it at all.
Still nothing.

I don't understand why the Hoard system was made so overly complicated in the first place. The old way was simple, easy to use and did its job with little fuss.
@Kaepora

I've tried it with and without any add on programs. I even tried browsers that have no add ons on it at all.
Still nothing.

I don't understand why the Hoard system was made so overly complicated in the first place. The old way was simple, easy to use and did its job with little fuss.
@AnpuRa Okay. While a plugin or add-on was the most likely cause. This exact same issue could also be due to specific settings either in the browser, computer, or the network it's on. To eliminate some of these, I'd like to see what happens if you try to access the Item Interaction Menu while in Firefox's "Safe Mode". You can turn on safe mode by following these instructions found on [url=https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-firefox-issues-using-safe-mode]Firefox's help site[/url]. [quote][b]How to start Firefox in Safe Mode[/b] Click the menu button (3 horizontal lines), click Help and select Restart with Add-ons Disabled…. Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog.[/quote] If nothing changes in Safe Mode, then we will move to using Developer Console (a built in browser tool for stuff like this) next. Developer Console isn't the easiest thing to describe in a forum post, but it's very good for troubleshooting. Thanks for working through this. Ironically, this would be easier to solve if more people were experiencing the problem. But as the number of computers decreases, the less obvious the cause becomes. There is also nothing particularly fancy to how the new hoard works from a technical point of view, so it is very strange that it's causing so much trouble for this particular computer.
@AnpuRa

Okay. While a plugin or add-on was the most likely cause. This exact same issue could also be due to specific settings either in the browser, computer, or the network it's on.

To eliminate some of these, I'd like to see what happens if you try to access the Item Interaction Menu while in Firefox's "Safe Mode". You can turn on safe mode by following these instructions found on Firefox's help site.
Quote:
How to start Firefox in Safe Mode
Click the menu button (3 horizontal lines), click Help and select Restart with Add-ons Disabled…. Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog.

If nothing changes in Safe Mode, then we will move to using Developer Console (a built in browser tool for stuff like this) next. Developer Console isn't the easiest thing to describe in a forum post, but it's very good for troubleshooting.

Thanks for working through this. Ironically, this would be easier to solve if more people were experiencing the problem. But as the number of computers decreases, the less obvious the cause becomes. There is also nothing particularly fancy to how the new hoard works from a technical point of view, so it is very strange that it's causing so much trouble for this particular computer.

Flight Rising
Knowledge Base

@Kaepora

I tried the Safe Mode on Firefox but Firefox didn't have any add ons to begin with.
So there was no change
@Kaepora

I tried the Safe Mode on Firefox but Firefox didn't have any add ons to begin with.
So there was no change
@AnpuRa

Okay, here are the first steps to get Developer Console to spill the beans on what's going wrong. Hopefully we will not need to dig deeper, so I'll keep it to just this for now.
  1. Open Firefox (IE works too, but the instructions might be a little off)
  2. Press the F12 key. This should open a new window or panel, typically on the bottom of your screen.
  3. Click the tab on this panel labeled "Console". It should bring up a page with a lot of text, including yellow warnings and red errors. Don't worry, as this is normal.
  4. Click on an item image, in an attempt to bring up the Item Interactions Menu. Did anything new show up in the list of errors/warnings in Developer Console? If so, what do they say? I expect there to be at least one message, possibly saying "Uncaught Error: cannot call methods..." But we also want to know if there are more than one new messages.
  5. Click the Developer console tab labeled "Network". It should bring up a new screen, hopefully with a lot of rows beginning with a green 200 on the start of most of them.
  6. Click the item image again. One or more (possibly a dozen) new rows should be added to the list. Do they all start with a green 200? If not, what do they start with? What's listed under "file" for any records that show up that aren't listed as 200?
@AnpuRa

Okay, here are the first steps to get Developer Console to spill the beans on what's going wrong. Hopefully we will not need to dig deeper, so I'll keep it to just this for now.
  1. Open Firefox (IE works too, but the instructions might be a little off)
  2. Press the F12 key. This should open a new window or panel, typically on the bottom of your screen.
  3. Click the tab on this panel labeled "Console". It should bring up a page with a lot of text, including yellow warnings and red errors. Don't worry, as this is normal.
  4. Click on an item image, in an attempt to bring up the Item Interactions Menu. Did anything new show up in the list of errors/warnings in Developer Console? If so, what do they say? I expect there to be at least one message, possibly saying "Uncaught Error: cannot call methods..." But we also want to know if there are more than one new messages.
  5. Click the Developer console tab labeled "Network". It should bring up a new screen, hopefully with a lot of rows beginning with a green 200 on the start of most of them.
  6. Click the item image again. One or more (possibly a dozen) new rows should be added to the list. Do they all start with a green 200? If not, what do they start with? What's listed under "file" for any records that show up that aren't listed as 200?

Flight Rising
Knowledge Base

@Kaepora

Tried it, made no differance
What was all of that suppose to do exactly?
@Kaepora

Tried it, made no differance
What was all of that suppose to do exactly?
@AnpuRa

Those were just diagnostic steps to learn what the Developer Console would report back - not actually a fix. It's sort of like taking an X-ray when you break a bone. The X-ray won't heal you, but it might tell you more about what's wrong.

If you can report back what information your browser provides, that'll get us to the next step. Thanks!
@AnpuRa

Those were just diagnostic steps to learn what the Developer Console would report back - not actually a fix. It's sort of like taking an X-ray when you break a bone. The X-ray won't heal you, but it might tell you more about what's wrong.

If you can report back what information your browser provides, that'll get us to the next step. Thanks!

Flight Rising
Knowledge Base

@Kaepora

Well, it didn't really report anything.
No error messages, nothing.
This seems like a dead end.
@Kaepora

Well, it didn't really report anything.
No error messages, nothing.
This seems like a dead end.
@AnpuRa

To stick with the X-ray analogy, your X-ray just came back without any bones. That, as I'm sure you've guessed, should not be possible.

The Network tab in particular should report both failed and successful requests. Seeing neither would indicate that the browser didn't make any requests at all, or it's failing to list them back to you.

Can you confirm that your browsers are up-to-date? The browser versions are typically listed under the "About" menu. If we know your browser versions we can look for very specific bugs that may have been patched.

it's not uncommon that launching a large feature uncovers obscure bugs that our initial testing fails to find, but those bugs are not typically limited to a single person or computer. I'd be very surprised if you had the same issues on a different computer - especially if it was on an entirely different network.
@AnpuRa

To stick with the X-ray analogy, your X-ray just came back without any bones. That, as I'm sure you've guessed, should not be possible.

The Network tab in particular should report both failed and successful requests. Seeing neither would indicate that the browser didn't make any requests at all, or it's failing to list them back to you.

Can you confirm that your browsers are up-to-date? The browser versions are typically listed under the "About" menu. If we know your browser versions we can look for very specific bugs that may have been patched.

it's not uncommon that launching a large feature uncovers obscure bugs that our initial testing fails to find, but those bugs are not typically limited to a single person or computer. I'd be very surprised if you had the same issues on a different computer - especially if it was on an entirely different network.

Flight Rising
Knowledge Base

@Kaepora

I don't know what to tell you then.

It is version 81.0.2
@Kaepora

I don't know what to tell you then.

It is version 81.0.2
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 34 35