Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | questions for all Artists !
1 2
hello Artists of Flight Rising ! Im jettt, a 17 y/o asian dude with a new found passion for art I never had much interest in art in the past, but my friends plan to make a video game and we all agreed that I would provide the art since Im the only one who can actually draw when we play skribbl.io xD now I am determined to make my art work match the quality of my friends brilliant ideas , so I wanted to know some things about art from the people with any experience at all : [LIST] [*][b]how often do you draw ?[/b] [*][b]how long have you been doing art ?[/b] [*][b]what resources do you use for digital art (programs, drawing tablets, brushes, sites, etc.)[/b] [*][b]do you have any advice or other things you would like to add ?[/b] [/LIST] thank you all =D ----- I recently tried drawing digitally for the first time with an old Osu tablet I had, so here you can see the extent of my art currently : 1st attempt from May (drawing Imperial dragon in Pokemon art style) [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/675433060199694361/730917811475578930/unknown.png[/img] 2nd attempt from July(WIP, I was unsatisfied with the way I color so I paused the drawing until I can learn how to color well) [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/675433060199694361/730918189327974461/unknown.png[/img] I used Medi Bang Paint for both drawings since the site offers many tutorials
hello Artists of Flight Rising !

Im jettt, a 17 y/o asian dude with a new found passion for art

I never had much interest in art in the past, but my friends plan to make a video game and we all agreed that I would provide the art since Im the only one who can actually draw when we play skribbl.io xD

now I am determined to make my art work match the quality of my friends brilliant ideas , so I wanted to know some things about art from the people with any experience at all :
  • how often do you draw ?
  • how long have you been doing art ?
  • what resources do you use for digital art (programs, drawing tablets, brushes, sites, etc.)
  • do you have any advice or other things you would like to add ?
thank you all =D

I recently tried drawing digitally for the first time with an old Osu tablet I had, so here you can see the extent of my art currently :

1st attempt from May (drawing Imperial dragon in Pokemon art style)
unknown.png

2nd attempt from July(WIP, I was unsatisfied with the way I color so I paused the drawing until I can learn how to color well)

unknown.png

I used Medi Bang Paint for both drawings since the site offers many tutorials
Super straight pride
Heya! It's really cool that you're starting to get into art!! I've been doing digital art for sort of the first time since I started drawing that I've actually someone known what I was doing, and it's quite the learning curve compared to traditional, but I'm tossing in my attempt!

I try to draw a little bit every day, even if it's just a sketch, but that often doesn't actually get done. But I have been drawing for as long as I can remember, so I've got that going for me!

I use sort of a unique situation? I'm working on a Chromebook Touchscreen 360, as in, one of the ones that can flip to be sort of a tablet. I use a google play app called infinite painter, which isn't great? It crashes very very frequently? But the UI is very simple to use, and it's google play so I didn't expect much, and it works! My stylus isn't even properly compatible with my computer, so I'm,,,, barely getting by.

But! My best advice that I've taken to heart recently is don't pressure yourself into doing art if you're just doing it for fun! Unless you're using art to pay your bills, there's no reason you have to do it. If you're not in the mood, not enjoying it, not liking your sketch? People can't make you do it, even if you're participating in an event like I am at the moment. Slowly losing motivation for artfight :'D

Anywho, here's some recent stuff I've done!
Heya! It's really cool that you're starting to get into art!! I've been doing digital art for sort of the first time since I started drawing that I've actually someone known what I was doing, and it's quite the learning curve compared to traditional, but I'm tossing in my attempt!

I try to draw a little bit every day, even if it's just a sketch, but that often doesn't actually get done. But I have been drawing for as long as I can remember, so I've got that going for me!

I use sort of a unique situation? I'm working on a Chromebook Touchscreen 360, as in, one of the ones that can flip to be sort of a tablet. I use a google play app called infinite painter, which isn't great? It crashes very very frequently? But the UI is very simple to use, and it's google play so I didn't expect much, and it works! My stylus isn't even properly compatible with my computer, so I'm,,,, barely getting by.

But! My best advice that I've taken to heart recently is don't pressure yourself into doing art if you're just doing it for fun! Unless you're using art to pay your bills, there's no reason you have to do it. If you're not in the mood, not enjoying it, not liking your sketch? People can't make you do it, even if you're participating in an event like I am at the moment. Slowly losing motivation for artfight :'D

Anywho, here's some recent stuff I've done!
theultimatecatsig.gif xSkets | She/Her | Bi | Capricorn | Meme | FR + 2
xAuthor | D&D Enthusiast | Worldbuilder | Too Many OCs

xPWYW Dergs
xMeowdy-do
Nochnyr
.......................9UzrfV3.png
[b]•how often do you draw?[/b] Everyday, whether it be small doodles or large pieces. Usually, I only have time for a small post-it doodle, but it's the thought that counts [b]•how long have you been doing art?[/b] I've been drawing since 2nd grade, but I got serious about it about 7 years ago. I'm not really the best example though, my art isn't good even though I've been drawing for so long [emoji=coatl scared size=1] [b]•what resources do you use for digital art (programs, drawing tablets, brushes, sites, etc.)[/b] I use an ipad pro and procreate. I started on drawcast (a hard to draw on art app for apple devices), so you can make art anywhere. All you need is perserverance^^ [b]•do you have any advice or other things you would like to add?[/b] Anatomy is key! Also, practice shading and backgrounds consistently. it'll help later on when you're making full compositions. Also, make sure you have fun! Art has its ups and downs, but ultimately it's your passion for creating that will drive you to draw :) Here's a three year difference comparison of my art (Bottom is from February 10th 2017, top one is March 8th 2020). If you really work hard to make something you're proud of, you'll get there eventually! :D [img]https://f2.toyhou.se/file/f2-toyhou-se/images/22311927_7WHw5GgB0ZZ4840.png[/img] [img]https://f2.toyhou.se/file/f2-toyhou-se/images/21213538_9IJ2CBKyDIvtRKp.jpg[/img]
•how often do you draw?
Everyday, whether it be small doodles or large pieces. Usually, I only have time for a small post-it doodle, but it's the thought that counts

•how long have you been doing art?
I've been drawing since 2nd grade, but I got serious about it about 7 years ago. I'm not really the best example though, my art isn't good even though I've been drawing for so long

•what resources do you use for digital art (programs, drawing tablets, brushes, sites, etc.)
I use an ipad pro and procreate. I started on drawcast (a hard to draw on art app for apple devices), so you can make art anywhere. All you need is perserverance^^

•do you have any advice or other things you would like to add?
Anatomy is key! Also, practice shading and backgrounds consistently. it'll help later on when you're making full compositions. Also, make sure you have fun! Art has its ups and downs, but ultimately it's your passion for creating that will drive you to draw :)

Here's a three year difference comparison of my art (Bottom is from February 10th 2017, top one is March 8th 2020). If you really work hard to make something you're proud of, you'll get there eventually! :D

22311927_7WHw5GgB0ZZ4840.png

21213538_9IJ2CBKyDIvtRKp.jpg
Moth Keeper's Lantern xx - azra.
- she/her.
- aavikko => dyhayc.
- skin & accent shop (semi-hiatus).
Hiya!

That's really awesome and neat that you want to try out game design! My recommendation is to check out the "Unity" game engine. A lot of games are made using this engine and it's also free for Students/Personal use. Definitely a good place to get started.

To answer some of your question:
  • how often do you draw? As much as possible. Some days that's multiple times per day, sometimes I don't draw anything. It's as much as I'm mentally prepared for.
  • how long have you been doing art? For a very long time. Over 15 years now?
  • what resources do you use for digital art (programs, drawing tablets, brushes, sites, etc.) -- See above comment about game design
  • do you have any advice or other things you would like to add?
    I highly, highly recommend checking out a youtube channel called "Art Prof." They've got some amazing art tutorials for both traditional and digital to help develop artists and it's run by professional artists in industry as well as professors from prestigious art colleges. They also have a discord channel where anyone can post their art for critiques/feedback. **Disclaimer: this is not sponsored, I'm just a fangirl lol

Hiya!

That's really awesome and neat that you want to try out game design! My recommendation is to check out the "Unity" game engine. A lot of games are made using this engine and it's also free for Students/Personal use. Definitely a good place to get started.

To answer some of your question:
  • how often do you draw? As much as possible. Some days that's multiple times per day, sometimes I don't draw anything. It's as much as I'm mentally prepared for.
  • how long have you been doing art? For a very long time. Over 15 years now?
  • what resources do you use for digital art (programs, drawing tablets, brushes, sites, etc.) -- See above comment about game design
  • do you have any advice or other things you would like to add?
    I highly, highly recommend checking out a youtube channel called "Art Prof." They've got some amazing art tutorials for both traditional and digital to help develop artists and it's run by professional artists in industry as well as professors from prestigious art colleges. They also have a discord channel where anyone can post their art for critiques/feedback. **Disclaimer: this is not sponsored, I'm just a fangirl lol

wsV4OHj.pngyYotJT3.pngQ3djsJD.png
[b]how often do you draw ? [/b]barely tbh. i have been drawing more recently, but i have periods of time where i just get bored of drawing. [b]how long have you been doing art ? [/b]i started taking it seriously around 5th grade. im going into hs junior year rn, so about 5 years, since i didn't draw at all for one year. as i mentioned before, i take long breaks as well (2 - 4 months sometimes) [b]what resources do you use for digital art (programs, drawing tablets, brushes, sites, etc.) [/b]i have a Wacom intuos draw, but tbh i rarely use it for drawing, and only used it for osu (hihi also an osu player here but i stopped bc it messed up my wrist rip) and i just use a bamboo pen on my laptop's touchscreen i use clip studio paint, which was free with my tablet : ) [b]do you have any advice or other things you would like to add ? [/b]LOOK AT REFERENCES. look at other artists, look at real life (eg if you're drawing dragons, look at animals such as big cats) and don't be afraid to trace. as long as you arent passing it off as your own work and develop your own style, tracing is 100% okay. even though i take a lot of breaks, being able to study anatomy and the fundamentals of art is always a big boost to my skill level. this was from 7-6-20 (click for full size) [url=https://ibb.co/XLRVdkX][img]https://i.ibb.co/XLRVdkX/7-6-20-henituse.png[/img][/url] and this was from today. i spent the last three days simply studying anatomy and other artists, and applying it to my own art. major difference in the quality and accuracy of the art, but still a lot to improve. [url=https://ibb.co/VLZMzDw][img]https://i.ibb.co/VLZMzDw/7-9-20-dtday.png[/img][/url] gl on ur art journey!! :D
how often do you draw ?
barely tbh. i have been drawing more recently, but i have periods of time where i just get bored of drawing.

how long have you been doing art ?
i started taking it seriously around 5th grade. im going into hs junior year rn, so about 5 years, since i didn't draw at all for one year. as i mentioned before, i take long breaks as well (2 - 4 months sometimes)

what resources do you use for digital art (programs, drawing tablets, brushes, sites, etc.)
i have a Wacom intuos draw, but tbh i rarely use it for drawing, and only used it for osu (hihi also an osu player here but i stopped bc it messed up my wrist rip) and i just use a bamboo pen on my laptop's touchscreen
i use clip studio paint, which was free with my tablet : )

do you have any advice or other things you would like to add ?
LOOK AT REFERENCES. look at other artists, look at real life (eg if you're drawing dragons, look at animals such as big cats) and don't be afraid to trace. as long as you arent passing it off as your own work and develop your own style, tracing is 100% okay. even though i take a lot of breaks, being able to study anatomy and the fundamentals of art is always a big boost to my skill level.

this was from 7-6-20 (click for full size)
7-6-20-henituse.png

and this was from today. i spent the last three days simply studying anatomy and other artists, and applying it to my own art. major difference in the quality and accuracy of the art, but still a lot to improve.
7-9-20-dtday.png

gl on ur art journey!! :D
v6C5M8v.png sometimes looking for:
melting/brewing
fodder leveling
grinding
gem sales
your pokemon style imperial definitely looks authentic! (shading on point) props to that!

how often do you draw ?
in spurts usually. sometimes for hours a day, sometimes not for weeks (i have been trying to get out of this habit ;;). the past few months, almost every day!
since i was 10, so 7 years!
what resources do you use for digital art (programs, drawing tablets, brushes, sites, etc.)
i keep a sketchbook by my desk so that i can draw while watching youtube sometimes. a wacom bamboo was my first tablet and i used that for 2-3 years before the cord broke, then followed a wacom intuos which i used for... maybe 2 years? sth like that? in may however I finally saved up enough from commission money to buy a huion kamvas pro 16! I was debating between that or an xp pen 15.6 pro and I must've spent 5 hours researching the differences... ah. it is so much easier to draw digitally now orz
as for resources: quickposes, marc brunet, ethan becker, pinterest, propic&taco!!!!, and pureref (my favorite) are seriously awesome! they'll either teach you how to draw, correct your mindset, offer practice, or just be a nice resource :-O
people say the only way you can improve is to draw every day and tbh that's a lie by omission, you can draw every day but your progress will be completely overshadowed by the person next to you who's learning, studying anatomy, and applying themselves to the theory maybe... every other day. effort =/= improvement, you need to practice the right way! getting good at art is not fun imo, it's just like doing math worksheets to get good at math :-) boring as heck but it pays off. i haven't been practicing properly my entire life so my art definitely reflects that but it's never too late to begin!!
55JBnYTS_t.png Am44bbb0_t.png uAnhrWj0_t.png
your pokemon style imperial definitely looks authentic! (shading on point) props to that!

how often do you draw ?
in spurts usually. sometimes for hours a day, sometimes not for weeks (i have been trying to get out of this habit ;;). the past few months, almost every day!
since i was 10, so 7 years!
i keep a sketchbook by my desk so that i can draw while watching youtube sometimes. a wacom bamboo was my first tablet and i used that for 2-3 years before the cord broke, then followed a wacom intuos which i used for... maybe 2 years? sth like that? in may however I finally saved up enough from commission money to buy a huion kamvas pro 16! I was debating between that or an xp pen 15.6 pro and I must've spent 5 hours researching the differences... ah. it is so much easier to draw digitally now orz
as for resources: quickposes, marc brunet, ethan becker, pinterest, propic&taco!!!!, and pureref (my favorite) are seriously awesome! they'll either teach you how to draw, correct your mindset, offer practice, or just be a nice resource :-O
people say the only way you can improve is to draw every day and tbh that's a lie by omission, you can draw every day but your progress will be completely overshadowed by the person next to you who's learning, studying anatomy, and applying themselves to the theory maybe... every other day. effort =/= improvement, you need to practice the right way! getting good at art is not fun imo, it's just like doing math worksheets to get good at math :-) boring as heck but it pays off. i haven't been practicing properly my entire life so my art definitely reflects that but it's never too late to begin!!
55JBnYTS_t.png Am44bbb0_t.png uAnhrWj0_t.png
xx
xx
qYzjE0OH_o.gif xx ROLYO / FR +2 / blood in the water, my love
ABOUT COMMISSIONS LINKS
how often do you draw ?
Nearly every day, if not daily. Even a few sketches in my sketchbook a day is alright by me, as long as I get my practice in. It gets me in trouble at school, teachers think I'm not paying attention, so hopefully this shows how much I draw.

My whole life, basically. Probably 10-12 years, give or take. And that's with an amount of drawing per day/week

I use a Wacom intuos draw, and have for the last 5(?) years. I'm hoping to get a new tablet soon that's more compatible with my computer, still doing research on that though.
For sites, if I need a reference just searching up images works, usually.
I also keep a sketchbook on me at almost all times, as well as several pencils.

REFERENCES ARE GREAT DON'T LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE WHO SAY OTHERWISE-
With that out of the way, don't be afraid to use references, or trace pictures (so long as you don't pass it off as your own) to help improve. Even sitting and looking at a picture and then sketching it using what you see helps a lot.
Study anatomy, and I find that taking some time to study, and then apply that on a weekly-daily-ish basis helps. Just whenever you can do some doodles and look at references and you'll get better.
Also, if you're not enjoying art, don't do it. Unless you have to, if you're not enjoying it don't bother. If this means taking a few days- or a week, or a month- off, it'll be better for you.

Have fun!
how often do you draw ?
Nearly every day, if not daily. Even a few sketches in my sketchbook a day is alright by me, as long as I get my practice in. It gets me in trouble at school, teachers think I'm not paying attention, so hopefully this shows how much I draw.

My whole life, basically. Probably 10-12 years, give or take. And that's with an amount of drawing per day/week

I use a Wacom intuos draw, and have for the last 5(?) years. I'm hoping to get a new tablet soon that's more compatible with my computer, still doing research on that though.
For sites, if I need a reference just searching up images works, usually.
I also keep a sketchbook on me at almost all times, as well as several pencils.

REFERENCES ARE GREAT DON'T LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE WHO SAY OTHERWISE-
With that out of the way, don't be afraid to use references, or trace pictures (so long as you don't pass it off as your own) to help improve. Even sitting and looking at a picture and then sketching it using what you see helps a lot.
Study anatomy, and I find that taking some time to study, and then apply that on a weekly-daily-ish basis helps. Just whenever you can do some doodles and look at references and you'll get better.
Also, if you're not enjoying art, don't do it. Unless you have to, if you're not enjoying it don't bother. If this means taking a few days- or a week, or a month- off, it'll be better for you.

Have fun!
TheyThemNoTail.png
AsexualNoTail.png
CryptidNoTail.png
EldritchDeityNoTail.png
AfamSig.gif
Gold // Golden
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gif 1x1 RP Thread
arrow_left_by_drawn_mario-d7yqvjz.gif About Me
nap4Srm.gif ten_pixel.png
@jettt
how often do you draw?
Whenever I feel like it, I don't want to burn myself out like last time on Owl's Burrow.

how long have you been doing art?
The earlier pic I found of my draw(well it's lost now) was my art when I was 3 years old. Most vivid early days of drawing was when I was like 6 or 7 years old

what resources do you use for digital art(programs, drawing tablets, brushes, sites, etc.)
An I pad sometimes do 3D Abstract modeling on the computer. Drawing on the computer is for the joke reason.

do you have any advice or other things you would like to add?
All artstyle is unique and if you don't like your art style it's good because it helps you open up your mind about trying to improve. If people says your art is trash for no valid reason or if it's your opinion don't listen to them. Also takes breaks and don't burn yourself out, your health matters more.
@jettt
how often do you draw?
Whenever I feel like it, I don't want to burn myself out like last time on Owl's Burrow.

how long have you been doing art?
The earlier pic I found of my draw(well it's lost now) was my art when I was 3 years old. Most vivid early days of drawing was when I was like 6 or 7 years old

what resources do you use for digital art(programs, drawing tablets, brushes, sites, etc.)
An I pad sometimes do 3D Abstract modeling on the computer. Drawing on the computer is for the joke reason.

do you have any advice or other things you would like to add?
All artstyle is unique and if you don't like your art style it's good because it helps you open up your mind about trying to improve. If people says your art is trash for no valid reason or if it's your opinion don't listen to them. Also takes breaks and don't burn yourself out, your health matters more.
image0.pnghttps://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2876694
how often do you draw ?
When I want to, or if I have commissions, a few hours every day until it's done. Because I'm creating a game and I'm the sole artist, I'm drawing pretty much every day. I work on different things though.

Since I was able to hold a crayon. I did study art and film in school for 6 years though.

Photoshop CS6 with a Cintiq 13HD/Wacom Intuos Art. I don't use custom brushes, I just use the hard round and play with the brush settings.

Consistency is key. Draw a little every day.

Also, steal. Steal ideas, inspiration, and styles. Originality is fake, and it's okay to steal as long as you steal from lots of different things, and credit all of it. Trace, as well. Don't share traced work as your own - in fact, don't share traced work at all, but trace anyway and keep it for yourself. By tracing, you develop new habits, patterns, and neural links. Eventually, you will develop your own style but tracing helps you learn the basics of a style at all.
how often do you draw ?
When I want to, or if I have commissions, a few hours every day until it's done. Because I'm creating a game and I'm the sole artist, I'm drawing pretty much every day. I work on different things though.

Since I was able to hold a crayon. I did study art and film in school for 6 years though.

Photoshop CS6 with a Cintiq 13HD/Wacom Intuos Art. I don't use custom brushes, I just use the hard round and play with the brush settings.

Consistency is key. Draw a little every day.

Also, steal. Steal ideas, inspiration, and styles. Originality is fake, and it's okay to steal as long as you steal from lots of different things, and credit all of it. Trace, as well. Don't share traced work as your own - in fact, don't share traced work at all, but trace anyway and keep it for yourself. By tracing, you develop new habits, patterns, and neural links. Eventually, you will develop your own style but tracing helps you learn the basics of a style at all.
S O K O L
knowledge of comprehension, benevolence, and aesthetics | active | slowly revamping
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xx
ToxrvHn.gif
thank you all so much for the advice !!! all of these tips are being written down in a note document for me to refer to =)
thank you all so much for the advice !!! all of these tips are being written down in a note document for me to refer to =)
Super straight pride
1 2