Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | dragon bio overhaul, accesibility issues
im going to flat out say im terrible at formatting forum posts. so in case i somehow am not using this section of topics in the forum right, im sorry.

i have been put a long time into playing flight rising as it is one of the more accessible games i play. i am visually impaired with color blindness, and while that might seem slightly daunting to a player, i actually do fairly well considering all of the colors are clearly written out for me, that is not the problem.

i cannot read screen well and glasses do not help me, i have to use TTS to navigate certain site elements, despite having some visual capability. the overhaul also affects that

since the latest dragon bio/profile overhaul i have found it incredibly difficult to navigate dragon profiles. the buttons somehow have become over all hard to distinguish and read and since the dragon has be placed center, its hard for me to adjust. the orientation of the buttons also are difficult for me. i often misclick, this problem stems from button clarity. they are not easy to read with the DARK red button face.

if this were a small issue for me i wouldnt make a thread post at all. the thing is, i play this game because of how accessible it is. i play it because its a good time waster that i can for the most part fully enjoy. but as much as people say the ui overhaul is aesthetically pleasing which im sure it is. its not really pleasing for me to navigate around it. the buttons are very unreadable to me, and zooming isnt really going to be of help.

i dont know if there is really any player base with visual impairment here, hence why im not sure why im posting this, since it probably doesnt apply to many people.

since its a matter of website styling or CSS id imagine, making a toggle in the settings tab to enable a different style sheet to load that switches to a color blind friendly mode or a high contrast mode or both would be lovely. i know, in terms of the general site layout there hasnt been many changes, but writing up that style sheet probably wouldn't take much time, and would be a matter of adjusting the per-existing one.

its a small change that would benefit many types of people. i feel like this kind of toggle would benefit many types of people, not just limited to visually impaired folk.

i dont think my wording was exactly concise here. but i think i got my point across reasonably.
im going to flat out say im terrible at formatting forum posts. so in case i somehow am not using this section of topics in the forum right, im sorry.

i have been put a long time into playing flight rising as it is one of the more accessible games i play. i am visually impaired with color blindness, and while that might seem slightly daunting to a player, i actually do fairly well considering all of the colors are clearly written out for me, that is not the problem.

i cannot read screen well and glasses do not help me, i have to use TTS to navigate certain site elements, despite having some visual capability. the overhaul also affects that

since the latest dragon bio/profile overhaul i have found it incredibly difficult to navigate dragon profiles. the buttons somehow have become over all hard to distinguish and read and since the dragon has be placed center, its hard for me to adjust. the orientation of the buttons also are difficult for me. i often misclick, this problem stems from button clarity. they are not easy to read with the DARK red button face.

if this were a small issue for me i wouldnt make a thread post at all. the thing is, i play this game because of how accessible it is. i play it because its a good time waster that i can for the most part fully enjoy. but as much as people say the ui overhaul is aesthetically pleasing which im sure it is. its not really pleasing for me to navigate around it. the buttons are very unreadable to me, and zooming isnt really going to be of help.

i dont know if there is really any player base with visual impairment here, hence why im not sure why im posting this, since it probably doesnt apply to many people.

since its a matter of website styling or CSS id imagine, making a toggle in the settings tab to enable a different style sheet to load that switches to a color blind friendly mode or a high contrast mode or both would be lovely. i know, in terms of the general site layout there hasnt been many changes, but writing up that style sheet probably wouldn't take much time, and would be a matter of adjusting the per-existing one.

its a small change that would benefit many types of people. i feel like this kind of toggle would benefit many types of people, not just limited to visually impaired folk.

i dont think my wording was exactly concise here. but i think i got my point across reasonably.
The Callenreese Clan - captorkinnie

Aslan, Ash or A
He, him and his
Pronoun.page
Click me above!!!
iuEBSJ3.png
Zn1clbn.png
czjozDN.png
JWeMvw7.png
faKBo3F.png
C2zykEL.png
H2jRHgT.png
BYpRNso.png
wqvfdXO.png
C3gPKb3.png
EXU3vSt.png
mlHpBMC.png
WtQy0hm.png
fdUVIfW.png
4ogWlJU.png
R1dejfm.png
plague_small.png
@captorkinnie You're perfectly clear! I think it might be more practical to describe exactly what changes you need to make things easier for you to see. Buttons without the symbols and gradients behind the words on them? I don't know if the staff will do anything, but they'll definitely need to know specifics if they do.

I'd still like a toggle to just go back to the old format, but I doubt we'll get anything that good.
@captorkinnie You're perfectly clear! I think it might be more practical to describe exactly what changes you need to make things easier for you to see. Buttons without the symbols and gradients behind the words on them? I don't know if the staff will do anything, but they'll definitely need to know specifics if they do.

I'd still like a toggle to just go back to the old format, but I doubt we'll get anything that good.
don't like my dragons
My wife @Tiranoel is also having accessibility problems with the new layout, as am I, even though we both have DIFFERENT accessibility issues. I would love a toggle to go back to the old format more than anything, but I would definitely settle for any other option that allows a ui more about functional clarity than slick aesthetics. It sucks to suddenly have a difficult time parsing what's on the page just because they wanted to pretty stuff up.
My wife @Tiranoel is also having accessibility problems with the new layout, as am I, even though we both have DIFFERENT accessibility issues. I would love a toggle to go back to the old format more than anything, but I would definitely settle for any other option that allows a ui more about functional clarity than slick aesthetics. It sucks to suddenly have a difficult time parsing what's on the page just because they wanted to pretty stuff up.
Tn4TEAZ.png
More tired of my treatment team than the cancer at this point
I made a very frustrated and much less coherent post about this earlier, in fact, but yes, I also have difficulty visually parsing the new layout. The lower half of the screen is difficult at best to process because everything is crammed into one place in very small font. It's not illegible to me, but because of the density of information all in one spot it's nearly impossible to process. My brain gets overwhelmed because my eyes take in all of the information in a single small space.

A larger font would be good, and all the buttons need to have words on them for sure. It would make more sense to have 'like' and 'share' as part of the same button bar and set 'scry' as the separate one up above, intuitively speaking. Also, I know red is the site's thematic color, but it's difficult to read, so maybe we could have a 'black text only' option?

I fully endorse having a toggle for the old layout, overall. It never visually overwhelmed me, even when I was looking at a busy eye-burner dragon in a dozen layers of apparel. Now I have a hard time looking at any of them without a headache.

EDIT: Forgot to mention it would also be really nice to have the 'move to previous/next dragon' buttons stay visible 100% of the time.
I made a very frustrated and much less coherent post about this earlier, in fact, but yes, I also have difficulty visually parsing the new layout. The lower half of the screen is difficult at best to process because everything is crammed into one place in very small font. It's not illegible to me, but because of the density of information all in one spot it's nearly impossible to process. My brain gets overwhelmed because my eyes take in all of the information in a single small space.

A larger font would be good, and all the buttons need to have words on them for sure. It would make more sense to have 'like' and 'share' as part of the same button bar and set 'scry' as the separate one up above, intuitively speaking. Also, I know red is the site's thematic color, but it's difficult to read, so maybe we could have a 'black text only' option?

I fully endorse having a toggle for the old layout, overall. It never visually overwhelmed me, even when I was looking at a busy eye-burner dragon in a dozen layers of apparel. Now I have a hard time looking at any of them without a headache.

EDIT: Forgot to mention it would also be really nice to have the 'move to previous/next dragon' buttons stay visible 100% of the time.
id rather have text over the graphical iconography. aesthetics should be built upon functionality, not vice versa.

i think a version of the website which is less red heavily could help color blind users. easier to read text based buttons and more easily understood button placement would be great. the lack of true text on buttons makes tts difficult. accessible web design is important in an age where the internet is almost a nessescity.

if a website wants itself to become sleek or change the aesthetics, accessible web design should be synonymous with modern web design.
id rather have text over the graphical iconography. aesthetics should be built upon functionality, not vice versa.

i think a version of the website which is less red heavily could help color blind users. easier to read text based buttons and more easily understood button placement would be great. the lack of true text on buttons makes tts difficult. accessible web design is important in an age where the internet is almost a nessescity.

if a website wants itself to become sleek or change the aesthetics, accessible web design should be synonymous with modern web design.

Aslan, Ash or A
He, him and his
Pronoun.page
Click me above!!!
iuEBSJ3.png
Zn1clbn.png
czjozDN.png
JWeMvw7.png
faKBo3F.png
C2zykEL.png
H2jRHgT.png
BYpRNso.png
wqvfdXO.png
C3gPKb3.png
EXU3vSt.png
mlHpBMC.png
WtQy0hm.png
fdUVIfW.png
4ogWlJU.png
R1dejfm.png
plague_small.png
i was honestly thinking they should really just make a toggle button for old/new modes like some sites do
i was honestly thinking they should really just make a toggle button for old/new modes like some sites do
41328.png -
cillian || adult || he/they
Candy Coated Dragons
adopts: obelisk | aether
They should at least use the "alt" attribute for all functional images.
They should at least use the "alt" attribute for all functional images.
In pinging me I assume consent to be pinged back. This is because I disabled signature display (too many intrusive banners)
Solar stance time difference: +9 Hours FRT

My avatar
i dont know why they dont have an alt attribute for images with functions. it doesnt make much sense to me.
i dont know why they dont have an alt attribute for images with functions. it doesnt make much sense to me.

Aslan, Ash or A
He, him and his
Pronoun.page
Click me above!!!
iuEBSJ3.png
Zn1clbn.png
czjozDN.png
JWeMvw7.png
faKBo3F.png
C2zykEL.png
H2jRHgT.png
BYpRNso.png
wqvfdXO.png
C3gPKb3.png
EXU3vSt.png
mlHpBMC.png
WtQy0hm.png
fdUVIfW.png
4ogWlJU.png
R1dejfm.png
plague_small.png
Support for more accessibility options.

I agree a color blind friendly mode or a high contrast mode should be available.
Support for more accessibility options.

I agree a color blind friendly mode or a high contrast mode should be available.
6NDVAGQ.png
Support. Accessibility should always be taken into account with big updates like this, it really is a shame staff didn't community test it before they put it out.
Support. Accessibility should always be taken into account with big updates like this, it really is a shame staff didn't community test it before they put it out.
615i00.png
Fr blog | Adopts | Skins
Fr + 0
oru7s0.png