Back

Bug Report Forums

Report bugs and errors to the Flight Rising development team.
TOPIC | Save Scene Button No Longer Working
I have a Surface 2 Tablet, Windows 10 Pro, using Microsoft Edge.
My Pop-up Blocker is off for the site, specifically so that I can save Scenes.

Unfortunately, since the announcement yesterday, June 12, that "Saving dragon scenes is now supported by more browsers" my ability to Save any Scene has suddnely vanished.

Before that, I could click the "Save" button, and it popped up a new window with the scene. Now, the "Save" button doesn't work at all. I tried tapping it, and clikcing it with a mouse. Niether worked. The button is dead.

I tried to "Right Click," on the picture instead, and the option to "Save" didn't come up. Holding down the finger on the Surface Tablet didn't work, either. What did come up, both times, was:

Select All (which, when clicked, selcted all words on the screen, and ignored the image)
Print (which, when clicked, tried to print the whole page, not just the image)
Read Aloud
View Source
Inspect Element

None of this helps to save my Scene.

I really hope that this can be fixed. I was looking forward to saving a LOT of scenes with my dragons, and now I can't do anything.
I have a Surface 2 Tablet, Windows 10 Pro, using Microsoft Edge.
My Pop-up Blocker is off for the site, specifically so that I can save Scenes.

Unfortunately, since the announcement yesterday, June 12, that "Saving dragon scenes is now supported by more browsers" my ability to Save any Scene has suddnely vanished.

Before that, I could click the "Save" button, and it popped up a new window with the scene. Now, the "Save" button doesn't work at all. I tried tapping it, and clikcing it with a mouse. Niether worked. The button is dead.

I tried to "Right Click," on the picture instead, and the option to "Save" didn't come up. Holding down the finger on the Surface Tablet didn't work, either. What did come up, both times, was:

Select All (which, when clicked, selcted all words on the screen, and ignored the image)
Print (which, when clicked, tried to print the whole page, not just the image)
Read Aloud
View Source
Inspect Element

None of this helps to save my Scene.

I really hope that this can be fixed. I was looking forward to saving a LOT of scenes with my dragons, and now I can't do anything.
fw5Pc0h.png
Thanks for the report @Canisa.

Please try this again now. We've made a minor tweak for another bug that might have helped this situation too!

If it's still not working, what menu options, if any, do you get when you right click on the scene itself?

If you have any popup blockers enabled, you may need to disable them. The feature attempts to open a new tab and some popup blockers assume that any new window generated with script MUST be an ad.
Thanks for the report @Canisa.

Please try this again now. We've made a minor tweak for another bug that might have helped this situation too!

If it's still not working, what menu options, if any, do you get when you right click on the scene itself?

If you have any popup blockers enabled, you may need to disable them. The feature attempts to open a new tab and some popup blockers assume that any new window generated with script MUST be an ad.
~ Flight Rising Engineering Team ~
- Do you want to hear what I said again? Hoot hoot!

Flight Rising
Knowledge Base

Flight Rising Rules & Policies
@Kaepora

Thanks for responding.

I just tried again, and now the "Save" button is opening a new window, but the window is blank.

I checked, and my Pop-up Blocker allows pop-ups for Flight Rising.

When I right click (or long press--both do the same thing) on the scene itself, while in "Scenic Mode." I'm still getting the same list of commands as before:

Select All
Print
Read Aloud
View Source
Inspect Element

As far as I can tell, the tablet is not treating the scene as a picture at all, but rather as an embedded part of the site.

On the dragon Profile Page itself, if I try to copy anything, I can highlight and/or copy my dragon, or my familiar, (independent of each other) but not the background.

In "Scenic Mode" I can't highlight and/or copy anything at all.
@Kaepora

Thanks for responding.

I just tried again, and now the "Save" button is opening a new window, but the window is blank.

I checked, and my Pop-up Blocker allows pop-ups for Flight Rising.

When I right click (or long press--both do the same thing) on the scene itself, while in "Scenic Mode." I'm still getting the same list of commands as before:

Select All
Print
Read Aloud
View Source
Inspect Element

As far as I can tell, the tablet is not treating the scene as a picture at all, but rather as an embedded part of the site.

On the dragon Profile Page itself, if I try to copy anything, I can highlight and/or copy my dragon, or my familiar, (independent of each other) but not the background.

In "Scenic Mode" I can't highlight and/or copy anything at all.
fw5Pc0h.png
@Canisa

It sounds like it is either taking too long to process the image, or that version of Edge lacks the function we rely on to make the conversion.

I haven't been able to cause this error myself, so the fixes we've tried are partially hunches. Please reload the page once more and let me know if the save button continues to open a blank tab, or if it does something else.

Also, can you determine which version of Edge your tablet is running?
@Canisa

It sounds like it is either taking too long to process the image, or that version of Edge lacks the function we rely on to make the conversion.

I haven't been able to cause this error myself, so the fixes we've tried are partially hunches. Please reload the page once more and let me know if the save button continues to open a blank tab, or if it does something else.

Also, can you determine which version of Edge your tablet is running?

Flight Rising
Knowledge Base

@Kaepora

I apologize for taking so long. RL abruptly interfered...with the dinner bell.

I just tried to reload the page and tried the Save Button again, and its still opening a blank window in a new tab.

I'm looking for the Microsoft Edge info you need, but I'm not sure where its stored on my Tablet. So far, I have been able to find a page under "Settings" that lists the following information for Microsoft Edge:

Publisher: Microsoft Corporation
Version: 44.18362.449.0

I can't seem to find an "Info" section for Microsoft Edge itself, and I'm not sure if this "version" is what you're looking for, or if its something else.
@Kaepora

I apologize for taking so long. RL abruptly interfered...with the dinner bell.

I just tried to reload the page and tried the Save Button again, and its still opening a blank window in a new tab.

I'm looking for the Microsoft Edge info you need, but I'm not sure where its stored on my Tablet. So far, I have been able to find a page under "Settings" that lists the following information for Microsoft Edge:

Publisher: Microsoft Corporation
Version: 44.18362.449.0

I can't seem to find an "Info" section for Microsoft Edge itself, and I'm not sure if this "version" is what you're looking for, or if its something else.
fw5Pc0h.png
@Canisa - That is very helpful, thanks!

Microsoft Edge had a major code overhaul in a more recent version than what you have, so there's a very good chance that a browser update would fix the issue.

That said, we want to try to get this to work without forcing people to update. I hope to have something test-worthy tomorrow, if you'd prefer to stick with the version you have, or you can update it and likely have the save feature working right away!
@Canisa - That is very helpful, thanks!

Microsoft Edge had a major code overhaul in a more recent version than what you have, so there's a very good chance that a browser update would fix the issue.

That said, we want to try to get this to work without forcing people to update. I hope to have something test-worthy tomorrow, if you'd prefer to stick with the version you have, or you can update it and likely have the save feature working right away!

Flight Rising
Knowledge Base

@Kaepora

Thanks for trying. My Tablet is supposed to automatically look for and download new versions of programs, so its a bit of a surprise that the Edge is out of date, and not something I thought of when trying to understand what happened.

I'm not sure what would happen if I try to download the newest version, since the Tablet's "updates" has never provided it. For the moment, I would like to stick with the version I have, if at all possible.

That being said, if it proves impossible to fix this with the version I have, I will reconsider not downloading. Its just that I tried to download a new version of something in the past, and ended up almost ruining my device because it wasn't compatible with what I tried to download...so I'm a bit leery now of trying to download any new versions of old programs that the Tablet itself does not add automatically.
@Kaepora

Thanks for trying. My Tablet is supposed to automatically look for and download new versions of programs, so its a bit of a surprise that the Edge is out of date, and not something I thought of when trying to understand what happened.

I'm not sure what would happen if I try to download the newest version, since the Tablet's "updates" has never provided it. For the moment, I would like to stick with the version I have, if at all possible.

That being said, if it proves impossible to fix this with the version I have, I will reconsider not downloading. Its just that I tried to download a new version of something in the past, and ended up almost ruining my device because it wasn't compatible with what I tried to download...so I'm a bit leery now of trying to download any new versions of old programs that the Tablet itself does not add automatically.
fw5Pc0h.png
@Canisa

We believe this should now be working! Or more accurately, the code now checks if the "correct" way works and, if it doesn't, we give up and run the old save feature.

Please let us know if the save button is now working.
@Canisa

We believe this should now be working! Or more accurately, the code now checks if the "correct" way works and, if it doesn't, we give up and run the old save feature.

Please let us know if the save button is now working.

Flight Rising
Knowledge Base

@Kaepora

THANK-YOU!

I just checked, and its working great. Thanks for taking the time to address this. I have a lot of plans for those scenes. (And hopeful future ones to come.) I really like that feature, so being able to use it is again is absolutely wonderful.

Thanks again!
@Kaepora

THANK-YOU!

I just checked, and its working great. Thanks for taking the time to address this. I have a lot of plans for those scenes. (And hopeful future ones to come.) I really like that feature, so being able to use it is again is absolutely wonderful.

Thanks again!
fw5Pc0h.png