Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Anyone doing Camp NaNoWriMo?
If so, what are you writing and what is your goal?

I'm writing a modern crossover between Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland. My goal is just 7k words because although I'm on a quarantine leave from work, I still manage to put off actually writing anything.
If so, what are you writing and what is your goal?

I'm writing a modern crossover between Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland. My goal is just 7k words because although I'm on a quarantine leave from work, I still manage to put off actually writing anything.
I think I will!

I'm in college and while I'm taking online classes, it's still a big time commitment. I have a few ideas (one is sci-fi, the other two are contemporary stories), but I'm not sure how far I'll get with either of them, to be honest, given everything else on my plate! But I'm excited still, since this will be my first NaNoWriMo of any kind.

Your idea sounds really cool, though, if you want a beta reader or a second opinion I would def be down to read your work when it's done!
I think I will!

I'm in college and while I'm taking online classes, it's still a big time commitment. I have a few ideas (one is sci-fi, the other two are contemporary stories), but I'm not sure how far I'll get with either of them, to be honest, given everything else on my plate! But I'm excited still, since this will be my first NaNoWriMo of any kind.

Your idea sounds really cool, though, if you want a beta reader or a second opinion I would def be down to read your work when it's done!
OTXJQ9a.png

cappy/capellith
she/her • FR+2
g1 saleswishlist
@Capellith Thanks! The good think about the Camp is that you can make small, manageable goals. My last Camp, my goal was 5k words and it felt really good to hit that goal. Let me know if you want any feedback on your ideas, maybe I can help you decide. [emoji=fae happy size=1]
@Capellith Thanks! The good think about the Camp is that you can make small, manageable goals. My last Camp, my goal was 5k words and it felt really good to hit that goal. Let me know if you want any feedback on your ideas, maybe I can help you decide.
@MadTeaParty Oh, that's nice! I really like that flexible aspect.

Okay here are my ideas:

1. The science-fiction idea is basically a pet idea I've had for a few years, but I've put it off because I honestly would rather wait to flesh it out when I'm a better/more experienced writer. However, at the same time, I think it wouldn't hurt to try and write a really rough first draft or something more concrete than the ideas I have in my head.

Basically the premise is that in a not-so-distant future, it is commonplace for people to have small computers that are actually installed in their brains. Just like with smartphones nowadays, people use these devices to access the internet and talk to each other, except now they can do that with only their thoughts. The coolest part of these neural computer things is that they can be used to create a fully immersive VR experience that affects all of your senses, not just your sight like with modern-day VR technology.

This all seems well and good, until a virus that takes advantage of these features starts spreading throughout these computers, completely warping people's perception of reality.

I don't think it's a particularly original idea, but I think it would be a fun one to explore!

2. A group of college students film a documentary exposing some sort of scandal at their school (what, exactly, remains to be determined), and they post it online. It goes viral, and they have to deal with the fallout.

3. This is an idea I initially had for a short film (the other contemporary idea could be a good script for a film or short series, too), as I have been contemplating becoming a film major. It would be told from a perspective similar to the films Searching or Unfriended, where you're looking at someone's computer screen. It would probably translate to about five-ten minutes in length? I could maybe flesh it out into a longer script, idk.

The story follows a celebrity/YouTuber of some kind who is editing an apology video for a scandal they've been involved in. It is not immediately obvious what they have done, but through the multiple takes they splice together, you get the impression that they are not being entirely genuine with their remorse, and are "acting up" for the camera. Though maybe I could make it more ambiguous. Then, at some point in the middle of editing the video, the computer screen switches to an internet browser, and you see the kinds of hateful messages this person has been receiving online from random people. Then, maybe they switch to a news article explaining the events, complete with a video interview with the celebrity in question. Then they switch back to editing the apology video.

Idk, this idea could probably use some more thought.
@MadTeaParty Oh, that's nice! I really like that flexible aspect.

Okay here are my ideas:

1. The science-fiction idea is basically a pet idea I've had for a few years, but I've put it off because I honestly would rather wait to flesh it out when I'm a better/more experienced writer. However, at the same time, I think it wouldn't hurt to try and write a really rough first draft or something more concrete than the ideas I have in my head.

Basically the premise is that in a not-so-distant future, it is commonplace for people to have small computers that are actually installed in their brains. Just like with smartphones nowadays, people use these devices to access the internet and talk to each other, except now they can do that with only their thoughts. The coolest part of these neural computer things is that they can be used to create a fully immersive VR experience that affects all of your senses, not just your sight like with modern-day VR technology.

This all seems well and good, until a virus that takes advantage of these features starts spreading throughout these computers, completely warping people's perception of reality.

I don't think it's a particularly original idea, but I think it would be a fun one to explore!

2. A group of college students film a documentary exposing some sort of scandal at their school (what, exactly, remains to be determined), and they post it online. It goes viral, and they have to deal with the fallout.

3. This is an idea I initially had for a short film (the other contemporary idea could be a good script for a film or short series, too), as I have been contemplating becoming a film major. It would be told from a perspective similar to the films Searching or Unfriended, where you're looking at someone's computer screen. It would probably translate to about five-ten minutes in length? I could maybe flesh it out into a longer script, idk.

The story follows a celebrity/YouTuber of some kind who is editing an apology video for a scandal they've been involved in. It is not immediately obvious what they have done, but through the multiple takes they splice together, you get the impression that they are not being entirely genuine with their remorse, and are "acting up" for the camera. Though maybe I could make it more ambiguous. Then, at some point in the middle of editing the video, the computer screen switches to an internet browser, and you see the kinds of hateful messages this person has been receiving online from random people. Then, maybe they switch to a news article explaining the events, complete with a video interview with the celebrity in question. Then they switch back to editing the apology video.

Idk, this idea could probably use some more thought.
OTXJQ9a.png

cappy/capellith
she/her • FR+2
g1 saleswishlist