Back

Bug Report Forums

Report bugs and errors to the Flight Rising development team.
TOPIC | 400 bad request error?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[quote name="Mutron" date="2020-03-20 07:51:22" ] We have a theory as to what is going on. It seems likely that the size of your browser's requests to our servers is bigger than the default limit we accept. In particular it seems likely that this is due to a large quantity of cookies being sent with the request. This seems consistent with peoples' descriptions of it taking a while to happen again after clearing cookies, and not happening as frequently (or at all) in incognito mode, as well as the forced logout (if some layer is dropping the login cookie due to space limits.) [/quote] This seems logical. Everytime I've had to clear it the number of cookies is much higher (close to 20) than when it's working (around 5). Since noticing this, I've been keeping the tab open and trying to catch exactly when it breaks, but since turning off ghostery it hasn't gone above 4 cookies so far. [quote]To help us narrow this down -- does this ever occur when the URL does not have a www1 in it? If it happens to you please check the URL in your browser and let me know if it ever happens on a non-www1 page, because that would let us know if we are doing something wrong or if it is cookies from another source (e.g. advertisements.) [/quote] I have not had it happen on a non-www1 page. However, things on non-www1 pages that PULL from www1 pages will break. I was editing a dragon bio and while I could keep working on the bio just fine, I noticed it had happened because my image from the scrying workshop broke. I was logged in and could operate on the dragon page until I navigated away to a www1 page, and then I was logged out. Does the coli pull images from the www1 pages? Like the captcha and rewards? That'd be my guess on why it broke for Ahriman if it does. [quote name="Mutron" date="2020-03-20 09:19:52" ] Are most of you that are experiencing the 400s also experiencing unexpected logouts? [/quote] As mentioned, yes. I get logged out when I navigate to a www1 page. And I'd need to do it more to be 100% sure, but I'm pretty positive that if I notice it's breaking while on a www page (like when I was editing my bio) then I can ONLY delete the www1 cookies and be fine. However, if I navigate to another page and get logged out, then I have to clear them all. Otherwise I can put in my login info but actually hitting log in causes the 400 error again. --- [quote name="Vark" date="2020-03-20 01:43:34" ] ETA: Will be checking if Ghostery is causing the issues. ETA 2: Issue still occurs when Ghostery is paused. [/quote] @Vark Out of curiosity, have you tried completely disabling it instead of just pausing it? Forgive me if I've misunderstood what you tried. Just wondering if I simply haven't browsed long enough (since I still haven't had it occur since disabling ghostery)
Mutron wrote on 2020-03-20 07:51:22:
We have a theory as to what is going on. It seems likely that the size of your browser's requests to our servers is bigger than the default limit we accept. In particular it seems likely that this is due to a large quantity of cookies being sent with the request. This seems consistent with peoples' descriptions of it taking a while to happen again after clearing cookies, and not happening as frequently (or at all) in incognito mode, as well as the forced logout (if some layer is dropping the login cookie due to space limits.)
This seems logical. Everytime I've had to clear it the number of cookies is much higher (close to 20) than when it's working (around 5). Since noticing this, I've been keeping the tab open and trying to catch exactly when it breaks, but since turning off ghostery it hasn't gone above 4 cookies so far.
Quote:
To help us narrow this down -- does this ever occur when the URL does not have a www1 in it? If it happens to you please check the URL in your browser and let me know if it ever happens on a non-www1 page, because that would let us know if we are doing something wrong or if it is cookies from another source (e.g. advertisements.)
I have not had it happen on a non-www1 page. However, things on non-www1 pages that PULL from www1 pages will break. I was editing a dragon bio and while I could keep working on the bio just fine, I noticed it had happened because my image from the scrying workshop broke. I was logged in and could operate on the dragon page until I navigated away to a www1 page, and then I was logged out.

Does the coli pull images from the www1 pages? Like the captcha and rewards? That'd be my guess on why it broke for Ahriman if it does.
Mutron wrote on 2020-03-20 09:19:52:
Are most of you that are experiencing the 400s also experiencing unexpected logouts?
As mentioned, yes. I get logged out when I navigate to a www1 page. And I'd need to do it more to be 100% sure, but I'm pretty positive that if I notice it's breaking while on a www page (like when I was editing my bio) then I can ONLY delete the www1 cookies and be fine. However, if I navigate to another page and get logged out, then I have to clear them all. Otherwise I can put in my login info but actually hitting log in causes the 400 error again.

---

Vark wrote on 2020-03-20 01:43:34:
ETA: Will be checking if Ghostery is causing the issues.
ETA 2: Issue still occurs when Ghostery is paused.
@Vark Out of curiosity, have you tried completely disabling it instead of just pausing it? Forgive me if I've misunderstood what you tried. Just wondering if I simply haven't browsed long enough (since I still haven't had it occur since disabling ghostery)
Wua5ROf.png
popping in to say ive been experiencing the same issues on chrome
popping in to say ive been experiencing the same issues on chrome
ZTnIVNJ.gif FbAeDb0.gif
Further update: It looks very likely that this is related to a build up of session-related cookies that, in a normal situation, there should only be 1 of at a time. Because these cookies have distinct names and are relatively large, if enough of them pile up, eventually the browser's request to the site becomes so big it hits a limit and you receive a 400.

While we could raise the threshold at which we return a 400 it would not fix the problem alone -- it would just take a little longer to get a 400. The root cause appears to be something losing track of the fact that there is already a good cookie and making an additional one. We have some theories why this might be but at the moment they all involve misbehaving browsers, extensions, or antivirus/antimalware.

Since it appears to have reduced incidence in Incognito mode (which disables extensions by default) and for at least one player with Ghostery disabled (an extension that can modify requests), I strongly recommend players to experiment with turning off extensions and report if they have success. You may need to clear your cookies once even after turning off the extensions, because your already stored cookies might be very close to hitting the limit to get a 400.
Further update: It looks very likely that this is related to a build up of session-related cookies that, in a normal situation, there should only be 1 of at a time. Because these cookies have distinct names and are relatively large, if enough of them pile up, eventually the browser's request to the site becomes so big it hits a limit and you receive a 400.

While we could raise the threshold at which we return a 400 it would not fix the problem alone -- it would just take a little longer to get a 400. The root cause appears to be something losing track of the fact that there is already a good cookie and making an additional one. We have some theories why this might be but at the moment they all involve misbehaving browsers, extensions, or antivirus/antimalware.

Since it appears to have reduced incidence in Incognito mode (which disables extensions by default) and for at least one player with Ghostery disabled (an extension that can modify requests), I strongly recommend players to experiment with turning off extensions and report if they have success. You may need to clear your cookies once even after turning off the extensions, because your already stored cookies might be very close to hitting the limit to get a 400.
Flight Rising Engineering Team

Flight Rising Knowledge Base
Flight Rising Rules & Policies
I've only run into 3 errors so far today, but I have been getting randomly logged out pretty frequently? I'm trying to dress up a g1 right now but when I try to remove apparel, it won't work and when I refresh the page.... I'm logged out :'D
Sometimes it happens rapidly??? I log in, navigate a couple pages or go back to dressing my dragon for a minute (or less) and I get logged out again. And this is with Ghostery off.

It happened yesterday too when I was bonding with my familiars! I click on a heart, nothing happens and when I refresh the page I'm logged out or that error hit. :') Also when I was coli-grinding and when the captcha's supposed to pop up, nothing shows up and it's just that lil broken image icon.

I just got the error again before posting this LOL
I've only run into 3 errors so far today, but I have been getting randomly logged out pretty frequently? I'm trying to dress up a g1 right now but when I try to remove apparel, it won't work and when I refresh the page.... I'm logged out :'D
Sometimes it happens rapidly??? I log in, navigate a couple pages or go back to dressing my dragon for a minute (or less) and I get logged out again. And this is with Ghostery off.

It happened yesterday too when I was bonding with my familiars! I click on a heart, nothing happens and when I refresh the page I'm logged out or that error hit. :') Also when I was coli-grinding and when the captcha's supposed to pop up, nothing shows up and it's just that lil broken image icon.

[quote name="Kuratabells" date="2020-03-20 15:01:52" ] I've only run into 3 errors so far today, but I have been getting randomly logged out pretty frequently? I'm trying to dress up a g1 right now but when I try to remove apparel, it won't work and when I refresh the page.... I'm logged out :'D Sometimes it happens rapidly??? I log in, navigate a couple pages or go back to dressing my dragon for a minute (or less) and I get logged out again. And this is with Ghostery off. It happened yesterday too when I was bonding with my familiars! I click on a heart, nothing happens and when I refresh the page I'm logged out or that error hit. :') Also when I was coli-grinding and when the captcha's supposed to pop up, nothing shows up and it's just that lil broken image icon. I just got the error again before posting this LOL [/quote] Same here
Kuratabells wrote on 2020-03-20 15:01:52:

Same here
vista_ridge2.png-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --bouncy_lightning_flight_by_dogi_crimson-da9o0v9.gif-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --vista_ridge2.png
[quote name="Mutron" date="2020-03-20 12:58:33" ] I strongly recommend players to experiment with turning off extensions and report if they have success. You may need to clear your cookies once even after turning off the extensions, because your already stored cookies might be very close to hitting the limit to get a 400. [/quote] Will try that and come back once (hopefully good) news Edit: turned off everything except the antivirus extension - no 400 error or forceful log out so far. I also haven't been logged in as long these past few days, will try to stay on longer next, see if it changes anything (I usually have 4-5 fr tabs open and one is coli)
Mutron wrote on 2020-03-20 12:58:33:
I strongly recommend players to experiment with turning off extensions and report if they have success. You may need to clear your cookies once even after turning off the extensions, because your already stored cookies might be very close to hitting the limit to get a 400.

Will try that and come back once (hopefully good) news

Edit: turned off everything except the antivirus extension - no 400 error or forceful log out so far.

I also haven't been logged in as long these past few days, will try to stay on longer next, see if it changes anything (I usually have 4-5 fr tabs open and one is coli)
FR time +8
tumblr_ot29obhqnu1rde8rlo1_100.gif
FR finally gave me the ability to breed millipedes, beware
courier_spitfire.gif
So, I have tried playing FR on fresh clean browser (Opera) without any extension.

I still got logged out and the site crashed into 400 error, once yesterday and twice today. I wasn't doing anything in particular, just had the game opened on my lair page.
So, I have tried playing FR on fresh clean browser (Opera) without any extension.

I still got logged out and the site crashed into 400 error, once yesterday and twice today. I wasn't doing anything in particular, just had the game opened on my lair page.
6veVs0O.png4DqQy0d.pngjDH4oZy.pngEYwhnj1.png50Cjsbf.pngB26R2.png .
“Stars, everywhere.
So many stars that I could not for the life of me understand
how the sky could contain them all yet be so black.”
~ P.Watts 'Blindsight'
It's really odd since www1 pages work perfectly fine for a while but the number of cookies goes up to about 10-15 then it dies.

On pages without www1 it acts like nothing wrong has happened.
It's really odd since www1 pages work perfectly fine for a while but the number of cookies goes up to about 10-15 then it dies.

On pages without www1 it acts like nothing wrong has happened.
vista_ridge2.png-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --bouncy_lightning_flight_by_dogi_crimson-da9o0v9.gif-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --vista_ridge2.png
It.... disappeared for me, for now. I haven't had a single issue since yesterday.

A thing to consider, is to maybe see if your (chromium-based) browsers have another update available? Brave has had 3-4 updates since the trouble began, and I haven't had this issue with FR since the last one that was pushed through. I had the same weird logout/cookie issue on other websites, and it appears most of those other websites are working fine for me again.
It.... disappeared for me, for now. I haven't had a single issue since yesterday.

A thing to consider, is to maybe see if your (chromium-based) browsers have another update available? Brave has had 3-4 updates since the trouble began, and I haven't had this issue with FR since the last one that was pushed through. I had the same weird logout/cookie issue on other websites, and it appears most of those other websites are working fine for me again.
I am also having the exact same problem as described by others in this thread.
I am also having the exact same problem as described by others in this thread.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10