Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Plush toy design advice?
Hullo Flight Rising~ So I submitted this design a [b]long[/b] while ago to Squishable.com's Open Squish contest! Basically, it's a contest to have this design turned into a possible stuffed animal to toss about, and hug, and cuddle as you please. :) So here was my entry, based on the Angha myth--a benevolent peacock-dog mash-up creature, you can read more [url=http://alphabeastiary.blogspot.com/2010/10/angha.html]here[/url]--and I can't help but be proud and excited that hey, it got selected, and hey, people are voting on it! [img]https://www.squishable.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/opensquish_angha_22432.jpg[/img] Of course... I designed this waaay back in July, haha. It JUST showed up in this past week's Squishable voting period, and while I am VERY proud of it... I'm also kind of cringing. Is it the color? The unwieldy design? It sure looks better when it's not so sphere shaped and without a limited color palette, haha: [img]http://37.media.tumblr.com/3714b29a31cc16a62cabe53f519c1c78/tumblr_n3qk0vMQ5Z1qm9ekto1_500.jpg[/img] But does anyone have any comments or critiques for the above toy design? Things that I could do to possibly improve it? I'm afraid I don't have much knowledge in toy production so I winged it (No pun intended). Oh and if you happen to like this design and want to possibly own an Angha of your own, you can vote for me over [url=https://www.squishable.com/opensquishp/opensquish_angha_22432/]here[/url] :')
Hullo Flight Rising~

So I submitted this design a long while ago to Squishable.com's Open Squish contest! Basically, it's a contest to have this design turned into a possible stuffed animal to toss about, and hug, and cuddle as you please.

:) So here was my entry, based on the Angha myth--a benevolent peacock-dog mash-up creature, you can read more here--and I can't help but be proud and excited that hey, it got selected, and hey, people are voting on it!

opensquish_angha_22432.jpg

Of course... I designed this waaay back in July, haha. It JUST showed up in this past week's Squishable voting period, and while I am VERY proud of it... I'm also kind of cringing. Is it the color? The unwieldy design? It sure looks better when it's not so sphere shaped and without a limited color palette, haha:

tumblr_n3qk0vMQ5Z1qm9ekto1_500.jpg

But does anyone have any comments or critiques for the above toy design? Things that I could do to possibly improve it? I'm afraid I don't have much knowledge in toy production so I winged it (No pun intended).

Oh and if you happen to like this design and want to possibly own an Angha of your own, you can vote for me over here :')
@SecondBreakfast
It looks adorable! I've never heard of an angha, but as a bird and mythological creature lover, it totally pings my interests. *u*

I think it looks fine as it is, though you may want to consider tweaking the colors and see if they work better? The color scheme looks on-model for a Green Peafowl, though perhaps a richer blue hue to match the more iconic peacock look may help (though I know that fabric color limitations are a consideration).
@SecondBreakfast
It looks adorable! I've never heard of an angha, but as a bird and mythological creature lover, it totally pings my interests. *u*

I think it looks fine as it is, though you may want to consider tweaking the colors and see if they work better? The color scheme looks on-model for a Green Peafowl, though perhaps a richer blue hue to match the more iconic peacock look may help (though I know that fabric color limitations are a consideration).
4qwWBWB.png
Signature art by Toxoid!
@Norkia

Yay! Glad it kind of evokes a Green Peafowl at least--when I get home from work, though, I'll mess around with the blue color. Again, because fabric was the limitation, what I really wanted to do was somehow get the "feel" for it, while relying on only 2-3 colors...

>:) Will def give your suggestion a try, thank you! And if you can, read up a bit more on the angha--or give it a Google search! Undel actually drew her version over here!
@Norkia

Yay! Glad it kind of evokes a Green Peafowl at least--when I get home from work, though, I'll mess around with the blue color. Again, because fabric was the limitation, what I really wanted to do was somehow get the "feel" for it, while relying on only 2-3 colors...

>:) Will def give your suggestion a try, thank you! And if you can, read up a bit more on the angha--or give it a Google search! Undel actually drew her version over here!
@SecondBreakfast

Another idea I just had was maybe add simple green or gold spots to the tail feathers to mimic the eyespots on a peacock tail; I poked around the Squishables site and saw some products with embroidered details, so that may be a consideration if it's within the guidelines.

I'll definitely research more on the critter! (And wow, Undel's reindition is fantastic! *_*)
@SecondBreakfast

Another idea I just had was maybe add simple green or gold spots to the tail feathers to mimic the eyespots on a peacock tail; I poked around the Squishables site and saw some products with embroidered details, so that may be a consideration if it's within the guidelines.

I'll definitely research more on the critter! (And wow, Undel's reindition is fantastic! *_*)
4qwWBWB.png
Signature art by Toxoid!
@Norkia

Oh wow they did embroidery work too? Okay, when I do my design revision I'll be adding some of those details :)
@Norkia

Oh wow they did embroidery work too? Okay, when I do my design revision I'll be adding some of those details :)
@SecondBreakfast
Their dolphin clearly has embroidered spots! Though I suppose it might be best to try and contact the company to make sure if Open Squish can utilize it. c:

Finally registered and voted. Best of luck! :D
@SecondBreakfast
Their dolphin clearly has embroidered spots! Though I suppose it might be best to try and contact the company to make sure if Open Squish can utilize it. c:

Finally registered and voted. Best of luck! :D
4qwWBWB.png
Signature art by Toxoid!
I would personally prefer the wings a bit further back on it's body - it looks like it's on it's shoulders - but I agree, the spots on the tail would lend a more peacock feel to it.
I would personally prefer the wings a bit further back on it's body - it looks like it's on it's shoulders - but I agree, the spots on the tail would lend a more peacock feel to it.
Come see the stuffed animals I make! (instagram)