Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | The Tooth vs. Nail Coliseum Challenge
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16
Aaaand, the thread's open for anyone who's interested in posting!
Aaaand, the thread's open for anyone who's interested in posting!
@Dreamnorn I saw this while it was a wip (unintentionally lol) but I liked it and refreshed the page when it was complete. I'm planning on building my lair from the ground up and I thought something like this will be fun and may even set up what my lair will look like in the future. :) So I grabbed some hatchlings from the auction house using the extra random maximum variety optional rule and used the randomizer to divide my factions. Now they're adults and had their first day in the coliseum, so I felt it was time to post for once.

On one side, we have the Mage's Guild: Osbeck the Light-Flight Imperial, Nacre the Water-Flight Fae, Cypsela the Nature-Flight Coatl, Chairoscuro the Earth-Flight Ridgeback, and Lazulum the Arcane-Flight Fae.

On the other side, we have the Metalworker's Coalition: Antiquity the Plague-Flight Bogsneak, Alluvia the Ice-Flight Fae, Ophelia the Wind-Flight Bogsneak, Yuvee the (mostly naked) Shadow-Flight Mirror, and Girasol the Fire-Flight Ridgeback.

(Each one has a little bit of lore just so they have their own personality but I'm not much of a writer so.....)

I researched different builds and decided that I'd do the Sedona build for scratch dragons, the Culex mage build for meditate dragons, and the Anticitank build for anticipate dragons. The coliseum isn't new to me but I wanted to find nice builds for each starting stone set that wouldn't need an eliminate in the end. The only difference is that I might not give anyone tinctures. That depends on how expensive that will become.

I'm letting my custom progenitor and avatar dragon, Snuggles, divide the two factions. My random, Splash, separates them from the fodder I'm flipping.

Day one in the coliseum went well, but I want to ask whether it's okay to leave the fights during the victory screen if 1) at least one dragon leveled up, BUT 2) none of the dragons are at a third or below HP. I waited until they fell below a third HP to be safe.

I don't know if I'll post here too often unless I have questions, but I'll be continuing this challenge casually. :) I tallied my first special drops and I'm excited to see what happens!!!
@Dreamnorn I saw this while it was a wip (unintentionally lol) but I liked it and refreshed the page when it was complete. I'm planning on building my lair from the ground up and I thought something like this will be fun and may even set up what my lair will look like in the future. :) So I grabbed some hatchlings from the auction house using the extra random maximum variety optional rule and used the randomizer to divide my factions. Now they're adults and had their first day in the coliseum, so I felt it was time to post for once.

On one side, we have the Mage's Guild: Osbeck the Light-Flight Imperial, Nacre the Water-Flight Fae, Cypsela the Nature-Flight Coatl, Chairoscuro the Earth-Flight Ridgeback, and Lazulum the Arcane-Flight Fae.

On the other side, we have the Metalworker's Coalition: Antiquity the Plague-Flight Bogsneak, Alluvia the Ice-Flight Fae, Ophelia the Wind-Flight Bogsneak, Yuvee the (mostly naked) Shadow-Flight Mirror, and Girasol the Fire-Flight Ridgeback.

(Each one has a little bit of lore just so they have their own personality but I'm not much of a writer so.....)

I researched different builds and decided that I'd do the Sedona build for scratch dragons, the Culex mage build for meditate dragons, and the Anticitank build for anticipate dragons. The coliseum isn't new to me but I wanted to find nice builds for each starting stone set that wouldn't need an eliminate in the end. The only difference is that I might not give anyone tinctures. That depends on how expensive that will become.

I'm letting my custom progenitor and avatar dragon, Snuggles, divide the two factions. My random, Splash, separates them from the fodder I'm flipping.

Day one in the coliseum went well, but I want to ask whether it's okay to leave the fights during the victory screen if 1) at least one dragon leveled up, BUT 2) none of the dragons are at a third or below HP. I waited until they fell below a third HP to be safe.

I don't know if I'll post here too often unless I have questions, but I'll be continuing this challenge casually. :) I tallied my first special drops and I'm excited to see what happens!!!
@MoltenIris Oof, this got buried in my notifications. D: Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. But I'm really excited to see you're taking on the challenge! ^^ I hope you're enjoying it so far!

To answer your question: I think that should be the challengee's choice. It might make leveling in the early game a bit too easy since you get to restart the battle streaks each time someone gains a level, but then again, it could provide a welcome relief in the later game when leveling up becomes progressively more rare. I would personally go for it, but that's entirely up to you. :D

Either way, good luck with your TvNCC! May the RNG bless your factions with strange drops that cause crazy waves in the tides of war. ;D
@MoltenIris Oof, this got buried in my notifications. D: Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. But I'm really excited to see you're taking on the challenge! ^^ I hope you're enjoying it so far!

To answer your question: I think that should be the challengee's choice. It might make leveling in the early game a bit too easy since you get to restart the battle streaks each time someone gains a level, but then again, it could provide a welcome relief in the later game when leveling up becomes progressively more rare. I would personally go for it, but that's entirely up to you. :D

Either way, good luck with your TvNCC! May the RNG bless your factions with strange drops that cause crazy waves in the tides of war. ;D
@Dreamnorn
oh boy, looks like i'm diving headfirst into this heck instead, could it work with different sized factions and different advantages to both from the start?
also, just curious, if wandering dragons could be involved, what would they do?
@Dreamnorn
oh boy, looks like i'm diving headfirst into this heck instead, could it work with different sized factions and different advantages to both from the start?
also, just curious, if wandering dragons could be involved, what would they do?
yhxx3Gz.png
@MareepSheepie Woah, good luck! :D I'd love to see updates if you take this challenge on!

I think the different-sized factions with different advantages could work, but it would need to be adjusted so both factions had a relatively even balance of advantages. Also, I'm not sure what you mean by wandering dragons. What do you have in mind regarding both of these ideas? ^^
@MareepSheepie Woah, good luck! :D I'd love to see updates if you take this challenge on!

I think the different-sized factions with different advantages could work, but it would need to be adjusted so both factions had a relatively even balance of advantages. Also, I'm not sure what you mean by wandering dragons. What do you have in mind regarding both of these ideas? ^^
@Dreamnorn
Thanks for the luck!
i`m going to need it as i watch all my favorite dragons die at my feet, preparing for sadness

the wandering dragons, like, just comepletely seperate single or small group factions that don`t fight on their own, and have their own funds and hoard but you can recruit them or raid them, and other stuff, dragons could also have a chance from one of the ability stone effects that do something like turning to another side, but making them just run away from both factions insted
think warriors, but some sort of twisted one with magic and dragons
sorry if its a bit confusing

oops, look like i gave a lot of abilities and already broke a lot of rules :D
@Dreamnorn
Thanks for the luck!
i`m going to need it as i watch all my favorite dragons die at my feet, preparing for sadness

the wandering dragons, like, just comepletely seperate single or small group factions that don`t fight on their own, and have their own funds and hoard but you can recruit them or raid them, and other stuff, dragons could also have a chance from one of the ability stone effects that do something like turning to another side, but making them just run away from both factions insted
think warriors, but some sort of twisted one with magic and dragons
sorry if its a bit confusing

oops, look like i gave a lot of abilities and already broke a lot of rules :D
yhxx3Gz.png
@MareepSheepie Oh, goodness, I bet. XD

Ahh, that makes sense to me! With wandering dragons in mind, here are some altered rules I've come up with. :D Feel free to change any as you like, ask questions, or discuss some options for better balancing with me!

Wandering Dragon Functionality:

1. They have life points just like everyone else. As such, they earn ½ a life point for every week survived, and will lose life points in certain situations.

2. Wandering dragons do not fight in the Coliseum.

3. Wandering dragons have a meter of persuasion to join a faction or not that goes from -7 to 7. The points marking their sway are called persuasion points. This starts at 0 for each faction unless otherwise specified, but can be changed for better or worse depending on how factions treat them (see #6). When a wandering dragon's persuasion points reach 7 for the active faction, they pledge to join it; when they reach -7 for the active faction, they pledge to join the opposing faction.

4. Every day, the faction who enters the Coliseum first rolls a die. On a result of 1-4, they proceed as normal. On a result of 5-6, the dragons selected to battle will first encounter one or more wandering dragons before they proceed with Coli battling.

5. If wandering dragons are encountered, randomize a list of the wandering dragons' names (if there are more than one) and roll the die again. The results show which wandering dragons are encountered on a given day.

• Example 1: let's say you have five wandering dragons which are randomized on the list in this order -- Zeeba, Yeti, Xerxes, Wish, and Volt. You roll a 2 on the die, which means that the active faction will only encounter Zeeba and Yeti.

• Example 2: let's say you have your three starting dragons which are randomized on the list, but you roll a 4 on the die. It functions as a roll of 3 because 4 is more than your current number of wandering dragons. As a result, your active faction encounters all of your current wanderers.

6. Once the wandering dragons being encountered are determined, you have one of three options for how to proceed: you can raid, trade, or have them be swayed. If you want to keep this random, roll a die. On a result of 1, you raid. On a result of 2-5, you trade. On a result of 6, you have the wandering dragons be swayed.

• Raid: When raiding wandering dragons, the active faction steals their treasure and resources. For every wandering dragon present while the raid occurs, steal 1000 treasure (for up to a total of 6000) to add to the faction hoard. You also can purchase one item (out of the following categories) per dragon raided from the Auction House without dipping into the faction's finances: familiars, which add to the familiar tally; battle stones, which do not have effects and are only added to the faction hoard for use; and potions.

You can also do this to buy an Eliminate, but only if the following requirements are satisfied:

• You roll for 6 wandering dragons and have that many to raid from.

• You do not buy any other items of the specified categories.

• Your faction's finances have at least 25,000 treasure after the wandering dragons are raided; you will have to remove this amount of treasure from the faction's finances afterwards!

Wandering dragons involved in the raid suffer -3 persuasion points to join the active faction. All other wandering dragons not involved in the raid will nonetheless hear word of the faction's brutality; as such, make a randomized list of those not involved in the raid and roll a die for each one. On a result of 1 or 2, they suffer -1 persuasion points; on a result of 3-6, they suffer -2 persuasion points.

The wandering dragons who were involved in the raid also lose 1 to 2 life points depending on a die roll. On a result of 1 or 2, they lose 1 life point. On a result of 3 or 4, they lose 1½ life points. On a result of 5 or 6, they lose 2 life points.

The next time an active faction encounters wandering dragons after a raid, swaying is not an option! If randomizing the roll, replace 6's result of swayed with a result of raid.

• Trade: When trading with wandering dragons, the active faction exchanges battle stones of equal value with them. You are allotted one trade per wandering dragon encountered, though you are not forced to perform all potential trade actions. There are a ton of valid trade options, but here are some examples:

• Scratch for Meditate; Mana Bolt for Rune Slash; Boulder Bolt for Thunder Slash; Haste for Concentration; Scholar for Berserker; Discipline for Ambush; Enfeeble for Enamor; Dark Acuity Fragment for Dark Might Fragment; Earthen Might Fragment for Fiery Might Fragment.

The manner in which this trade is performed is to sell, vault, or otherwise get rid of the item you no longer want and buy what you actually want on the AH. This has no effect on your faction's finances. Additionally, this does not impact your faction's current tallies for any elemental battle stones, nor does it impact the Tides of War for non-elemental battle stones.

You can also use the faction finances to exchange 100t for a Minor Health Potion, 200t for a Health Potion, and 300t for a Major Health Potion. Each potion bought counts as one "trade."

After the trading is done, roll a die for each wandering dragon in the order they were randomized. On a result of 1, they suffer -1 persuasion points to join the active faction. On a result of 2-4, their persuasion points aren't impacted. On a result of 5, they receive +1 persuasion point to join the active faction. On a result of 6, they receive +2 persuasion points to join the active faction.

• Swayed: Swaying is a partially-targeted action due to how powerful it is. No items or blows are exchanged while swaying; instead, the dragons of the active faction endeavor to convince one of the wandering dragons to join their cause. This can be any dragon of the player's choosing, or randomized if preferred.

The wandering dragon targeted for being swayed automatically receives +3 persuasion points for the active faction.

Other wandering dragons encountered receive persuasion points based on a die roll, rolled in order from first to last randomized. On a result of 1, nothing happens. On a result of 2-4, they receive +1 persuasion point for the active faction. On a result of 5 or 6, they receive +2 persuasion points for the active faction.

How Wandering Dragons are Made:

• If you decide to add wandering dragons to your challenge, you get to start with three. One should be of your element, one should be an element aligned with your first faction, and the last should be an element aligned with your second faction. I recommend randomizing which elements those other two should be! This will be your "starting pool" of wanderers that may grow or shrink over time.

• If at any point this count reaches zero, you may add a new "starting pool" of wandering dragons at any time you like, continue with the wandering dragon rules knowing that no encounter is possible until someone from either side becomes one, or simply stop using the wandering dragon rules altogether. Your choice!

• Certain Tide of War effects have been altered with the creation of wandering dragons in mind:

• For Icy Congealment and Lightning Shock, if the affected dragon loses life points before leaving the Coliseum, roll a die. On a result of 1-4, they pledge their loyalty to the opposing faction. On a result of 5 or 6, they become a wandering dragon.

• For Light Enamorment, if a nest is made, roll a die for each hatchling born from oldest to youngest. On a result of 1-3, the hatchling joins the faction of the infatuated dragon's crush. On a result of 4 or 5, the hatchling joins the faction of the infatuated dragon. On a result of 6, the hatchling runs away and becomes a wandering dragon.

• For a Primary Gene, roll a die when the traitorous dragon is discovered. On a result of 1-4, they run away to the opposing faction. On a result of 5 or 6, they run away and become a wandering dragon.

• For a Secondary Gene, roll a die after the two lovebirds are determined. On a result of 1-4, they run away together and join the active faction. On a result of 5 or 6, they run away together and become a pair of wandering dragons. As soon as they become RTB while they are wandering dragons (this could be right away), you also get to breed them once and have their hatchling(s) join the wanderers!

• For Windy Disorientation, roll a die each day for the effected dragon. On a result of 1 or 2, the dragon continues to fight for their faction as normal; on a result of 3 or 4, they function as a member of their opposing faction; and on a result of 5 or 6, they "go AWOL" and abandon their faction for the day. If, on the final day, they "go AWOL," they become a wandering dragon.

How Wandering Dragons are Lost:

• As with any other dragons, if a wandering dragon's life points reach zero, they are considered dead and must be removed from the challenge.

• If a wandering dragon's persuasion points reach 7 or -7 for either faction, they will join the war. As a result, they will be removed from the pool of wandering dragons and added to the pool of faction dragons for whichever faction won their favor.
@MareepSheepie Oh, goodness, I bet. XD

Ahh, that makes sense to me! With wandering dragons in mind, here are some altered rules I've come up with. :D Feel free to change any as you like, ask questions, or discuss some options for better balancing with me!

Wandering Dragon Functionality:

1. They have life points just like everyone else. As such, they earn ½ a life point for every week survived, and will lose life points in certain situations.

2. Wandering dragons do not fight in the Coliseum.

3. Wandering dragons have a meter of persuasion to join a faction or not that goes from -7 to 7. The points marking their sway are called persuasion points. This starts at 0 for each faction unless otherwise specified, but can be changed for better or worse depending on how factions treat them (see #6). When a wandering dragon's persuasion points reach 7 for the active faction, they pledge to join it; when they reach -7 for the active faction, they pledge to join the opposing faction.

4. Every day, the faction who enters the Coliseum first rolls a die. On a result of 1-4, they proceed as normal. On a result of 5-6, the dragons selected to battle will first encounter one or more wandering dragons before they proceed with Coli battling.

5. If wandering dragons are encountered, randomize a list of the wandering dragons' names (if there are more than one) and roll the die again. The results show which wandering dragons are encountered on a given day.

• Example 1: let's say you have five wandering dragons which are randomized on the list in this order -- Zeeba, Yeti, Xerxes, Wish, and Volt. You roll a 2 on the die, which means that the active faction will only encounter Zeeba and Yeti.

• Example 2: let's say you have your three starting dragons which are randomized on the list, but you roll a 4 on the die. It functions as a roll of 3 because 4 is more than your current number of wandering dragons. As a result, your active faction encounters all of your current wanderers.

6. Once the wandering dragons being encountered are determined, you have one of three options for how to proceed: you can raid, trade, or have them be swayed. If you want to keep this random, roll a die. On a result of 1, you raid. On a result of 2-5, you trade. On a result of 6, you have the wandering dragons be swayed.

• Raid: When raiding wandering dragons, the active faction steals their treasure and resources. For every wandering dragon present while the raid occurs, steal 1000 treasure (for up to a total of 6000) to add to the faction hoard. You also can purchase one item (out of the following categories) per dragon raided from the Auction House without dipping into the faction's finances: familiars, which add to the familiar tally; battle stones, which do not have effects and are only added to the faction hoard for use; and potions.

You can also do this to buy an Eliminate, but only if the following requirements are satisfied:

• You roll for 6 wandering dragons and have that many to raid from.

• You do not buy any other items of the specified categories.

• Your faction's finances have at least 25,000 treasure after the wandering dragons are raided; you will have to remove this amount of treasure from the faction's finances afterwards!

Wandering dragons involved in the raid suffer -3 persuasion points to join the active faction. All other wandering dragons not involved in the raid will nonetheless hear word of the faction's brutality; as such, make a randomized list of those not involved in the raid and roll a die for each one. On a result of 1 or 2, they suffer -1 persuasion points; on a result of 3-6, they suffer -2 persuasion points.

The wandering dragons who were involved in the raid also lose 1 to 2 life points depending on a die roll. On a result of 1 or 2, they lose 1 life point. On a result of 3 or 4, they lose 1½ life points. On a result of 5 or 6, they lose 2 life points.

The next time an active faction encounters wandering dragons after a raid, swaying is not an option! If randomizing the roll, replace 6's result of swayed with a result of raid.

• Trade: When trading with wandering dragons, the active faction exchanges battle stones of equal value with them. You are allotted one trade per wandering dragon encountered, though you are not forced to perform all potential trade actions. There are a ton of valid trade options, but here are some examples:

• Scratch for Meditate; Mana Bolt for Rune Slash; Boulder Bolt for Thunder Slash; Haste for Concentration; Scholar for Berserker; Discipline for Ambush; Enfeeble for Enamor; Dark Acuity Fragment for Dark Might Fragment; Earthen Might Fragment for Fiery Might Fragment.

The manner in which this trade is performed is to sell, vault, or otherwise get rid of the item you no longer want and buy what you actually want on the AH. This has no effect on your faction's finances. Additionally, this does not impact your faction's current tallies for any elemental battle stones, nor does it impact the Tides of War for non-elemental battle stones.

You can also use the faction finances to exchange 100t for a Minor Health Potion, 200t for a Health Potion, and 300t for a Major Health Potion. Each potion bought counts as one "trade."

After the trading is done, roll a die for each wandering dragon in the order they were randomized. On a result of 1, they suffer -1 persuasion points to join the active faction. On a result of 2-4, their persuasion points aren't impacted. On a result of 5, they receive +1 persuasion point to join the active faction. On a result of 6, they receive +2 persuasion points to join the active faction.

• Swayed: Swaying is a partially-targeted action due to how powerful it is. No items or blows are exchanged while swaying; instead, the dragons of the active faction endeavor to convince one of the wandering dragons to join their cause. This can be any dragon of the player's choosing, or randomized if preferred.

The wandering dragon targeted for being swayed automatically receives +3 persuasion points for the active faction.

Other wandering dragons encountered receive persuasion points based on a die roll, rolled in order from first to last randomized. On a result of 1, nothing happens. On a result of 2-4, they receive +1 persuasion point for the active faction. On a result of 5 or 6, they receive +2 persuasion points for the active faction.

How Wandering Dragons are Made:

• If you decide to add wandering dragons to your challenge, you get to start with three. One should be of your element, one should be an element aligned with your first faction, and the last should be an element aligned with your second faction. I recommend randomizing which elements those other two should be! This will be your "starting pool" of wanderers that may grow or shrink over time.

• If at any point this count reaches zero, you may add a new "starting pool" of wandering dragons at any time you like, continue with the wandering dragon rules knowing that no encounter is possible until someone from either side becomes one, or simply stop using the wandering dragon rules altogether. Your choice!

• Certain Tide of War effects have been altered with the creation of wandering dragons in mind:

• For Icy Congealment and Lightning Shock, if the affected dragon loses life points before leaving the Coliseum, roll a die. On a result of 1-4, they pledge their loyalty to the opposing faction. On a result of 5 or 6, they become a wandering dragon.

• For Light Enamorment, if a nest is made, roll a die for each hatchling born from oldest to youngest. On a result of 1-3, the hatchling joins the faction of the infatuated dragon's crush. On a result of 4 or 5, the hatchling joins the faction of the infatuated dragon. On a result of 6, the hatchling runs away and becomes a wandering dragon.

• For a Primary Gene, roll a die when the traitorous dragon is discovered. On a result of 1-4, they run away to the opposing faction. On a result of 5 or 6, they run away and become a wandering dragon.

• For a Secondary Gene, roll a die after the two lovebirds are determined. On a result of 1-4, they run away together and join the active faction. On a result of 5 or 6, they run away together and become a pair of wandering dragons. As soon as they become RTB while they are wandering dragons (this could be right away), you also get to breed them once and have their hatchling(s) join the wanderers!

• For Windy Disorientation, roll a die each day for the effected dragon. On a result of 1 or 2, the dragon continues to fight for their faction as normal; on a result of 3 or 4, they function as a member of their opposing faction; and on a result of 5 or 6, they "go AWOL" and abandon their faction for the day. If, on the final day, they "go AWOL," they become a wandering dragon.

How Wandering Dragons are Lost:

• As with any other dragons, if a wandering dragon's life points reach zero, they are considered dead and must be removed from the challenge.

• If a wandering dragon's persuasion points reach 7 or -7 for either faction, they will join the war. As a result, they will be removed from the pool of wandering dragons and added to the pool of faction dragons for whichever faction won their favor.
@Dreamnorn

oh, wow, thanks!
i realize now there are a lot of rules

also, have any tips for writing lore and such?
@Dreamnorn

oh, wow, thanks!
i realize now there are a lot of rules

also, have any tips for writing lore and such?
yhxx3Gz.png
Ooh, this looks interesting!
Ooh, this looks interesting!
KvxzF3W.pngJcdyE1n.png opcExsG.png
BsnXCRp.png
0XHtpWy.png
J7D1quC.png

WKtl2lb.png
FObX7rS_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelFObX7rS_d.png
I'm so sorry for replying so late! Work has been insane lately. D:

@CassieRose I'm glad you think so! :D

@MareepSheepie Yep, there are. XD I wonder if D&D is proud?

Tips on writing lore! I'm honestly so happy you asked. :D I love writing lore (even though I don't have much time to do it), but I think for a challenge like this, I would start by asking myself questions like these:

• What inspired the Flights of the specific elements of each faction to come together in war against the other? Are they fighting opposing ideals? Are they fighting over land or treasure? Do they have the same goal, but drastically different ways to go about it?

• For each faction, how is it organized? Where are they located? Who, if anyone, leads? What is the faction's social structure like? What roles do other dragons play to help the faction on their quest for victory?

• For each character, why did they join the conflict? What are they like as a person -- their good qualities, their bad qualities, their quirks, their dreams? How do they feel about other members in their faction, either as individuals or collectively?

From there, if I thought certain characters paired up together in the Coliseum for the day would have interesting interactions, I might write out one or more short scenes or exchanges with them on a lore thread! One of my favorite parts of such storytelling is watching characters with different traits, quirks, and hopes trying to work together as a unit. In what areas are they weak or strong? How does that lead them to fail or succeed at their current mission before returning to their faction's base (or, worse, falling on the battlefield)? And how does that impact the greater mission?

Obviously, you don't have to do any of this, or if you do, the lore that comes from it can be as rough, polished, short, or long as you'd like. ^^ I just hope that answering questions like these (or any you come up with!) will help give you a good idea of both the macro conflict of the war and the micro conflicts between the characters!

(Anyway, I hope this wasn't too overwhelming. ;-; I just love to write and couldn't help but babble a bit.)
I'm so sorry for replying so late! Work has been insane lately. D:

@CassieRose I'm glad you think so! :D

@MareepSheepie Yep, there are. XD I wonder if D&D is proud?

Tips on writing lore! I'm honestly so happy you asked. :D I love writing lore (even though I don't have much time to do it), but I think for a challenge like this, I would start by asking myself questions like these:

• What inspired the Flights of the specific elements of each faction to come together in war against the other? Are they fighting opposing ideals? Are they fighting over land or treasure? Do they have the same goal, but drastically different ways to go about it?

• For each faction, how is it organized? Where are they located? Who, if anyone, leads? What is the faction's social structure like? What roles do other dragons play to help the faction on their quest for victory?

• For each character, why did they join the conflict? What are they like as a person -- their good qualities, their bad qualities, their quirks, their dreams? How do they feel about other members in their faction, either as individuals or collectively?

From there, if I thought certain characters paired up together in the Coliseum for the day would have interesting interactions, I might write out one or more short scenes or exchanges with them on a lore thread! One of my favorite parts of such storytelling is watching characters with different traits, quirks, and hopes trying to work together as a unit. In what areas are they weak or strong? How does that lead them to fail or succeed at their current mission before returning to their faction's base (or, worse, falling on the battlefield)? And how does that impact the greater mission?

Obviously, you don't have to do any of this, or if you do, the lore that comes from it can be as rough, polished, short, or long as you'd like. ^^ I just hope that answering questions like these (or any you come up with!) will help give you a good idea of both the macro conflict of the war and the micro conflicts between the characters!

(Anyway, I hope this wasn't too overwhelming. ;-; I just love to write and couldn't help but babble a bit.)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16