Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Cockatiel Owners?
1 2
@ColonelChicken thanks!!What is your favorite parrot, mine is a cockatiel
@ColonelChicken thanks!!What is your favorite parrot, mine is a cockatiel
mcpvFbQ.png
@marthacat I love them all honnestly, but cockatiels are the only one I ever got as pets, so I'd pick them as well :)
@marthacat I love them all honnestly, but cockatiels are the only one I ever got as pets, so I'd pick them as well :)
tumblr_inline_pawby3qPs91rbjkvp_540.png
@ColonelChicken yeah, i originally wanted a budgie/parakeet so i like them also
@ColonelChicken yeah, i originally wanted a budgie/parakeet so i like them also
mcpvFbQ.png
@PixelSpiral

I have two birbs... and two cats. Sure the kitten threatens them both, but at least she can go outside in like two months.
@PixelSpiral

I have two birbs... and two cats. Sure the kitten threatens them both, but at least she can go outside in like two months.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag3nSZFR.png
--z9OsVtc.png
--P9aWhak.png
--mgUKUE1.png
--JvUa9ma.png
--JgnXsev.png
@StormyParakeet For pity's sake, keep your cats away from your birds or you won't have them long. I'm sorry, but you're being wholly irresponsible letting them anywhere near each other. @ColonelChicken Here are my noisy boys, Skyline and Highrise! Skyline, left in both pictures, is a rescue bird from an abusive situation. :( Took him two years before he let me touch him, but now he's super sweet! I'm so proud of my little man. He is very small, but he is always ready to defend his boyfriend from any imagined threat. Highrise is... well, not the sharpest tack. But that's okay. We love him anyway. He was a chronic screamer and went through two homes in as many months before landing with me. With some training and a lot of patience, he's doing much better now. :) Wish I knew how old they are, but I don't have a clue. :P [img]http://78.media.tumblr.com/f2910f3f8305e5dbe86a98657a0d38eb/tumblr_oodfx1Nx1u1s34iaro1_500.jpg[/img] [img]http://78.media.tumblr.com/a32f81a42f557b1e590f359d33e1c09e/tumblr_onpgk6w9Np1s34iaro1_500.jpg[/img] Bonus: not cockatiels, but beloved! Zyda the red bellied parrot: [img]http://78.media.tumblr.com/66184601532f31648561bae92c64a930/tumblr_ozuov1WuNB1s34iaro4_500.png[/img] And Rowan, the maximillian pionus: [img]http://78.media.tumblr.com/5c55187dca8a621c41d87fd7058e7e4c/tumblr_op578voAMF1s34iaro5_500.jpg[/img] Aged 9 and 7 respectively, and as sappy as the aforementioned tiels: [img]http://78.media.tumblr.com/696bcafb99012aed25c2990f29a2ff2c/tumblr_oftpxqxgbs1s34iaro4_500.jpg[/img] I've worked with hundreds of parrots, species from budgies to buffons macaws, and you know what? Cockatiels are still my favorite. <3 [s] But shh, don't tell Zyda.[/s]
@StormyParakeet
For pity's sake, keep your cats away from your birds or you won't have them long. I'm sorry, but you're being wholly irresponsible letting them anywhere near each other.

@ColonelChicken

Here are my noisy boys, Skyline and Highrise! Skyline, left in both pictures, is a rescue bird from an abusive situation. :( Took him two years before he let me touch him, but now he's super sweet! I'm so proud of my little man. He is very small, but he is always ready to defend his boyfriend from any imagined threat.

Highrise is... well, not the sharpest tack. But that's okay. We love him anyway. He was a chronic screamer and went through two homes in as many months before landing with me. With some training and a lot of patience, he's doing much better now. :)

Wish I knew how old they are, but I don't have a clue. :P
tumblr_oodfx1Nx1u1s34iaro1_500.jpg
tumblr_onpgk6w9Np1s34iaro1_500.jpg

Bonus: not cockatiels, but beloved!

Zyda the red bellied parrot:
tumblr_ozuov1WuNB1s34iaro4_500.png

And Rowan, the maximillian pionus:
tumblr_op578voAMF1s34iaro5_500.jpg

Aged 9 and 7 respectively, and as sappy as the aforementioned tiels:
tumblr_oftpxqxgbs1s34iaro4_500.jpg

I've worked with hundreds of parrots, species from budgies to buffons macaws, and you know what? Cockatiels are still my favorite. <3

But shh, don't tell Zyda.
@Birdskull

I know it's not the safest thing in the world but, my parakeet is in a place where the kitten can't reach him, and my cumputer is right next to my cockatiel's cage. Wich it where I spend most of my time. She's also loosing intrest, and finding other things that are much better.
@Birdskull

I know it's not the safest thing in the world but, my parakeet is in a place where the kitten can't reach him, and my cumputer is right next to my cockatiel's cage. Wich it where I spend most of my time. She's also loosing intrest, and finding other things that are much better.
--z9OsVtc.png
--P9aWhak.png
--mgUKUE1.png
--JvUa9ma.png
--JgnXsev.png
[quote name="StormyParakeet" date=2017-12-09 22:17:22] @Birdskull I know it's not the safest thing in the world but, my parakeet is in a place where the kitten can't reach him, and my cumputer is right next to my cockatiel's cage. Wich it where I spend most of my time. She's also loosing intrest, and finding other things that are much better. [/quote] @StormyParakeet [i]They should not be in the same room.[/i] Ever. Period. I cannot stress enough that you're literally playing with their lives. Luck runs out and once is all it takes. Even if the kitten is just playing, even if it's an accident. Cats carry Pasteurella in their saliva, which is EXTREMELY toxic to birds, so even a minor injury could very likely lead to a painful death. Beyond that, even just your cat's presence is a unneeded stress on the birds. Your cat is a predator animal. Your bird is a prey animal. Instincts, man. The bird knows that cat is dangerous just by the forward-facing eyes staring at it. The cat knows that bird is an exceptionally tasty snack just by the way it moves. [b]It is your responsibility as a pet owner to take all necessary precautions to ensure the safety of all your animals.[/b] Without a closed door between them, you can't possibly keep them safe 100% of the time. It is simply not worth the risk. I know what I'm saying may sound harsh or inconvenient. I know I'm just some random stranger on the internet whose two cents you didn't ask for. Tone is lost over the web, so please understand I'm not trying to sound aggressive. Just worried, because I've seen this road too many times to not know where it leads. orz This will be my last post on the subject and I won't press the matter further, but I do hope you'll at least consider what I'm saying?
StormyParakeet wrote on 2017-12-09:
@Birdskull

@StormyParakeet

They should not be in the same room. Ever. Period.

I cannot stress enough that you're literally playing with their lives. Luck runs out and once is all it takes. Even if the kitten is just playing, even if it's an accident. Cats carry Pasteurella in their saliva, which is EXTREMELY toxic to birds, so even a minor injury could very likely lead to a painful death.

Beyond that, even just your cat's presence is a unneeded stress on the birds. Your cat is a predator animal. Your bird is a prey animal. Instincts, man. The bird knows that cat is dangerous just by the forward-facing eyes staring at it. The cat knows that bird is an exceptionally tasty snack just by the way it moves.

It is your responsibility as a pet owner to take all necessary precautions to ensure the safety of all your animals.

Without a closed door between them, you can't possibly keep them safe 100% of the time. It is simply not worth the risk.

I know what I'm saying may sound harsh or inconvenient. I know I'm just some random stranger on the internet whose two cents you didn't ask for. Tone is lost over the web, so please understand I'm not trying to sound aggressive. Just worried, because I've seen this road too many times to not know where it leads. orz

This will be my last post on the subject and I won't press the matter further, but I do hope you'll at least consider what I'm saying?
@Birdskull

Yes, I understand what you’re saying. I still live with my parents, so I don’t have much choice in that matter. I don’t really have any other place to put them other than the living room. I don’t live in a very big house, so I can’t put a door between them. I’m sorry for causing this “argument”, and I hope you have a good rest of your day~
@Birdskull

Yes, I understand what you’re saying. I still live with my parents, so I don’t have much choice in that matter. I don’t really have any other place to put them other than the living room. I don’t live in a very big house, so I can’t put a door between them. I’m sorry for causing this “argument”, and I hope you have a good rest of your day~
--z9OsVtc.png
--P9aWhak.png
--mgUKUE1.png
--JvUa9ma.png
--JgnXsev.png
[quote name="marthacat" date=2017-12-01 13:46:09] i'm here @ColonelChicken i can't show a photo because it's not ready :( i picked it it out and named it Hedwig. We don't know its gender, its a pied. I'm going to get it in 2 - 3 weeks. [/quote] I'm super excited too, as @marthacat is my sister.
marthacat wrote on 2017-12-01:
i'm here @ColonelChicken i can't show a photo because it's not ready :( i picked it it out and named it Hedwig. We don't know its gender, its a pied. I'm going to get it in 2 - 3 weeks.
I'm super excited too, as @marthacat is my sister.
chrysanthe-sig-left.pngart shop (link)art thread (link)
@Endee Handicapped lutino solidarity! This is Junior Bird, who is about twenty and can no longer fly due to deformed pinions. He's also got cataracts from old age, but he gets along fine riding on people's shoulders and screaming when he wants his "taxi" to come pick him up! [img]http://i64.tinypic.com/fvv1p1.jpg[/img]
@Endee Handicapped lutino solidarity!

This is Junior Bird, who is about twenty and can no longer fly due to deformed pinions. He's also got cataracts from old age, but he gets along fine riding on people's shoulders and screaming when he wants his "taxi" to come pick him up!

fvv1p1.jpg
I live in Eastern Standard Time! (FR+3) Please ping me, I may have wandered off and fallen asleep in a meadow of flowers.
1 2