Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Cut skin/accent makers slack.
1 2 ... 35 36 37 38 39 ... 81 82
I think the site could be a bit more lax on this. I understand why they want to regulate things like gore, but I think it's a bit overdone. People should be allowed a little more freedom on accents, art, etc. As far as goriness goes even, it seems ridiculous to have such a fixation on denying images of blood. Blood is something basically everyone deals with on daily basis: paper cuts, periods, getting blood drawn at the doctor, etc. so I feel like cutting people some slack on that in particular makes sense.
I think the site could be a bit more lax on this. I understand why they want to regulate things like gore, but I think it's a bit overdone. People should be allowed a little more freedom on accents, art, etc. As far as goriness goes even, it seems ridiculous to have such a fixation on denying images of blood. Blood is something basically everyone deals with on daily basis: paper cuts, periods, getting blood drawn at the doctor, etc. so I feel like cutting people some slack on that in particular makes sense.
I can confirm as an accent artist that it is quite stressful and frustrating to deal with so many rules on flight rising that aren't actually even stated as rules on the site.

You aren't allowed Religious Symbols anymore.

You aren't allowed cuts on the hands or fingers because it may indicate self harm.

You aren't allowed gore, but this seems inconsistent, and even dragons that don't have gore may not be accepted if the image looks to much like gore in the eyes of the staff. (Red energy, burning wood)

You aren't allowed to make your accents to dark, but there's no real indication of how artists should measure darkness. The example on the site simply isn't a good one, and I've had accents lighter then that hue and still not get accepted. (Due to texture)

You aren't allowed to have heavy textures because it may make the shaadows and lineart not visible enough even though genes regularly hide shadows and lineart.

On top of that neither of the people whom are judging the accents really have any real control over how the site is ran.

Since it takes 5 to 7 days for an accent to finish being judged it's very exhausting when your accent comes back as unaccepted multiple times with not enough indication as to how to fix it. They aren't allowed to tell you if they think it's okay.

I don't mind these rules as much now after two years of getting used to them. But it took a long time and I don't think the way it's being done benefits those working.

All it really does is wastes time, new artists will have to waste their time regardless because no where onsite are the newer rules visible unless someone is searching for them.

Since the rules aren't clear cut it makes them harder to judge both as an artist and as the staff.

And it's hard on artists and their customers because many artists depend on pre-orders to get by, if an accent takes 21 days (3 7 day rejects) to get accepted a lot of users may of forgotten or lost interet.

The worst thing is accents with high textures, accents with dark colors and accents that push the envelope often sell very well. It gets rid of gem inflation and helps keep the site balanced.

I'd be be so happy if FR would just either make the rules less strict or at least only judge based upon rules already established on site. Adding the new rules so new artists know what not to do.

TL;DR The staff shouldn't be allowed to add and remove rules at random and instead should make announcements and add those rules to the actual rule page. Imagine how discouraging it is to find out that something you based your entire accent around isn't allowed and no one even told you before hand, nor was there anywhere for you to find it.
I can confirm as an accent artist that it is quite stressful and frustrating to deal with so many rules on flight rising that aren't actually even stated as rules on the site.

You aren't allowed Religious Symbols anymore.

You aren't allowed cuts on the hands or fingers because it may indicate self harm.

You aren't allowed gore, but this seems inconsistent, and even dragons that don't have gore may not be accepted if the image looks to much like gore in the eyes of the staff. (Red energy, burning wood)

You aren't allowed to make your accents to dark, but there's no real indication of how artists should measure darkness. The example on the site simply isn't a good one, and I've had accents lighter then that hue and still not get accepted. (Due to texture)

You aren't allowed to have heavy textures because it may make the shaadows and lineart not visible enough even though genes regularly hide shadows and lineart.

On top of that neither of the people whom are judging the accents really have any real control over how the site is ran.

Since it takes 5 to 7 days for an accent to finish being judged it's very exhausting when your accent comes back as unaccepted multiple times with not enough indication as to how to fix it. They aren't allowed to tell you if they think it's okay.

I don't mind these rules as much now after two years of getting used to them. But it took a long time and I don't think the way it's being done benefits those working.

All it really does is wastes time, new artists will have to waste their time regardless because no where onsite are the newer rules visible unless someone is searching for them.

Since the rules aren't clear cut it makes them harder to judge both as an artist and as the staff.

And it's hard on artists and their customers because many artists depend on pre-orders to get by, if an accent takes 21 days (3 7 day rejects) to get accepted a lot of users may of forgotten or lost interet.

The worst thing is accents with high textures, accents with dark colors and accents that push the envelope often sell very well. It gets rid of gem inflation and helps keep the site balanced.

I'd be be so happy if FR would just either make the rules less strict or at least only judge based upon rules already established on site. Adding the new rules so new artists know what not to do.

TL;DR The staff shouldn't be allowed to add and remove rules at random and instead should make announcements and add those rules to the actual rule page. Imagine how discouraging it is to find out that something you based your entire accent around isn't allowed and no one even told you before hand, nor was there anywhere for you to find it.
I forgot to add...but what really wraps this all together is the site would never remove skins or accents previously accepted even if they now break the rules. (Unless it's copyright)

This means it is highly recommended that you never look at past examples as an indication of what is or isn't allowed.

And this also unfortunately means that in the long run, then old accents not allowed is simply contradictory to what they're trying to do now. Regardless of what they want to do to improve the site so long as a high volume of accents on site already break past rules the entire process is mostly fruitless.

I can still buy an extremely gorey accent and put it in a place visible for users, nothing changes that.
I forgot to add...but what really wraps this all together is the site would never remove skins or accents previously accepted even if they now break the rules. (Unless it's copyright)

This means it is highly recommended that you never look at past examples as an indication of what is or isn't allowed.

And this also unfortunately means that in the long run, then old accents not allowed is simply contradictory to what they're trying to do now. Regardless of what they want to do to improve the site so long as a high volume of accents on site already break past rules the entire process is mostly fruitless.

I can still buy an extremely gorey accent and put it in a place visible for users, nothing changes that.
[quote name="Bowno" date=2017-09-01 12:45:02] *Gives Red-ranged Capsule colors a stare* Really? :l EDIT: I understand a gene is not a skin/accent.. But it seems like it falls in the same boat here now. Please staff. PLEASE at least update the rules.. Because -NOW- more than ever it seems like we are moving to NO RED EVEREVEREEEEEEEEEVER [/quote] Given that the gene seems to mimic a lot of skins/accents that people were making... I'd say it is absolutely the same issue.
Bowno wrote on 2017-09-01:
*Gives Red-ranged Capsule colors a stare*
Really? :l
EDIT: I understand a gene is not a skin/accent.. But it seems like it falls in the same boat here now.
Please staff. PLEASE at least update the rules.. Because -NOW- more than ever it seems like we are moving to NO RED EVEREVEREEEEEEEEEVER

Given that the gene seems to mimic a lot of skins/accents that people were making... I'd say it is absolutely the same issue.
cb97ddd4-47eb-11e7-9a25-11207adb8873.gifd87f0b78-4802-11e7-8bb6-b56db8b8415b.gifd217fd0c-4803-11e7-9ac3-b56db8b8415b.gifd87f0b78-4802-11e7-8bb6-b56db8b8415b.gif31b4737d-47f9-11e7-a649-11207adb8873.gifd87f0b78-4802-11e7-8bb6-b56db8b8415b.gifb010ed63-4802-11e7-86f0-b56db8b8415b.gifd87f0b78-4802-11e7-8bb6-b56db8b8415b.gif5807c18f-480e-11e7-9dd4-b56db8b8415b.gifd87f0b78-4802-11e7-8bb6-b56db8b8415b.gifb010ed63-4802-11e7-86f0-b56db8b8415b.gifd87f0b78-4802-11e7-8bb6-b56db8b8415b.gifbd02d84f-4804-11e7-83b1-b56db8b8415b.gifd87f0b78-4802-11e7-8bb6-b56db8b8415b.gifd217fd0c-4803-11e7-9ac3-b56db8b8415b.gifd87f0b78-4802-11e7-8bb6-b56db8b8415b.gifd3ff9d7a-47eb-11e7-a31f-11207adb8873.gif
she/her, panrom ace
And we're back.

Okay, this thread has undergone a bit of a clean-up and we need to cover some ground rules.

It's okay to express frustration and disagreement. It is not okay to disrupt in-game events or the play experience of others.

Thank you.
And we're back.

Okay, this thread has undergone a bit of a clean-up and we need to cover some ground rules.

It's okay to express frustration and disagreement. It is not okay to disrupt in-game events or the play experience of others.

Thank you.
Thank you Aequorin for bringing the board back!
Thank you Aequorin for bringing the board back!
TOW2n3q.png
I'm not sure why my post was deleted. I said nothing that could be misconstrued as breaking the rules or whatever.

I'm not going to type up a giant long post (especially if it can be deleted with no warning), but I completely agree that the current restrictions are ambiguous, hypocritical, stifling, and serve a dubious purpose.
I'm not sure why my post was deleted. I said nothing that could be misconstrued as breaking the rules or whatever.

I'm not going to type up a giant long post (especially if it can be deleted with no warning), but I completely agree that the current restrictions are ambiguous, hypocritical, stifling, and serve a dubious purpose.
ccDyspX.png
Not sure why my original posts were deleted either. (The ones not discussing the recent topic)
I can't remember all of it but in the end I stated, in the official description of skins and accents, it stated they're worn as a coat of paint. Even in official lore, the dragon is not in pain whatsoever.
It's paint. It's basically the dragon world equivalent of FX makeup.
While we're on this subject of pain, what about the coliseum moves? Eliminate sure is bloody, and I'm pretty sure you kill all of the enemies, this causing them excruciating pain (that bleed effect must be fun and enjoyable, right?!).......
(not to even mention the scar apparel and bloody bandages?)

In the end, its fake blood on fake dragons. Pixel dragons getting a a little scratch does not mean "pain and suffering" in the slightest. This is the only T rated game I've ever seen that gets so upset at the mere mention of blood.

For plague contests... if the dragon has blood coming from a wound, that means it's alive. It's heart is beating. That's what plague is about- survival. Plague isn't about "no blood ever", hell, a lot of diseases or viruses cause bleeding. Choosing to omit large parts of the flight's lore on a whim is just... wrong.
(And changing genes to match this "absolutely no blood" mindset is ridiculous. Blood capsule looks more like wine than blood, and a majority of the red colors were quite obviously changed to avoid looking red.)

I'm also very confused about the zombie thing... undel said it herself, plaguebringer hates zombies. So why on earth does the exact same person say zombies are a great thing for plaguebringers festival???

TL;DR
I completely agree with the above poster- the admins need to set clear rules and keep them consistent across the board. If accents with blood used to be accepted, it makes zero sense that bloody accents are immediately rejected now.
Not sure why my original posts were deleted either. (The ones not discussing the recent topic)
I can't remember all of it but in the end I stated, in the official description of skins and accents, it stated they're worn as a coat of paint. Even in official lore, the dragon is not in pain whatsoever.
It's paint. It's basically the dragon world equivalent of FX makeup.
While we're on this subject of pain, what about the coliseum moves? Eliminate sure is bloody, and I'm pretty sure you kill all of the enemies, this causing them excruciating pain (that bleed effect must be fun and enjoyable, right?!).......
(not to even mention the scar apparel and bloody bandages?)

In the end, its fake blood on fake dragons. Pixel dragons getting a a little scratch does not mean "pain and suffering" in the slightest. This is the only T rated game I've ever seen that gets so upset at the mere mention of blood.

For plague contests... if the dragon has blood coming from a wound, that means it's alive. It's heart is beating. That's what plague is about- survival. Plague isn't about "no blood ever", hell, a lot of diseases or viruses cause bleeding. Choosing to omit large parts of the flight's lore on a whim is just... wrong.
(And changing genes to match this "absolutely no blood" mindset is ridiculous. Blood capsule looks more like wine than blood, and a majority of the red colors were quite obviously changed to avoid looking red.)

I'm also very confused about the zombie thing... undel said it herself, plaguebringer hates zombies. So why on earth does the exact same person say zombies are a great thing for plaguebringers festival???

TL;DR
I completely agree with the above poster- the admins need to set clear rules and keep them consistent across the board. If accents with blood used to be accepted, it makes zero sense that bloody accents are immediately rejected now.
giphy.gifmFaXmCJ.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gif

art shop banner
KkcUijP.png
old wc adopt gif
giphy.gif

Lewis link and G1 sales
goVYTQR.pngRsZjiBd.png

ghost hatchlings
TwEcIUG.png[/url] Ae0MsB2.png

Wishlist

B3w2s5h.jpg

Pixel Pearls

giphy.gif

SCP hatchery
1g9awbL.png
Click for Don't Starve/FR commissions! [TEMP CLOSED] (Casual collector of 6 digit dergs!)
vWYFQtR.png

wHRV9DG.jpg[/indent]
I was toying with the Name Generator just now, and the name "Blood" is actually in there. It seems really odd to me FR would allow that in the random name generator but not on skins or accents. I really hope they reconsider. Especially scars. Scars to me I flat-out do not understand since scars are healed and definitely show survival. I cannot think of anything more worthy of the plague flight than scars. I also hope they reconsider religious symbolism and allow people of all faith positions to have the exact same ability to show their pride and discuss their dogmas as people of different genders and disabilities and all the other people categories protected on FR.

As suggested several pages back, if FR is truly worried about people encountering things that trigger them, like holes and spiders and whatnot, then code a flagging feature for skins and accents and maybe even genes. The FR team tags every skin, accent and gene with pre-defined categories (such as Plague, blood, scars, religious, holes, etc) and players can choose tags that they don't see. Someone with arachnophobia could choose to not see spiders, and those skins simply wouldn't load for that account. Someone who has trypophobia could tag the jaguar and rosette genes and those would all load as basic (although still be labeled as jaguar and rosette on the dragon's information). I know it would take a little work to code, but I think it's the best solution.

As it is now, it feels like the Plague flight are being needlessly singled out compared to other flights and faith positions are being discouraged compared to every other protected class of people. And neither should have to feel ashamed for what they are.

And if FR is unwilling to alter in the slightest, then very clear-cut rules need to be written and posted with all the other guidelines on the skin and accent page, right where people are going to look for the rules here. Artists shouldn't have to dig through the forums to find the regulations.
I was toying with the Name Generator just now, and the name "Blood" is actually in there. It seems really odd to me FR would allow that in the random name generator but not on skins or accents. I really hope they reconsider. Especially scars. Scars to me I flat-out do not understand since scars are healed and definitely show survival. I cannot think of anything more worthy of the plague flight than scars. I also hope they reconsider religious symbolism and allow people of all faith positions to have the exact same ability to show their pride and discuss their dogmas as people of different genders and disabilities and all the other people categories protected on FR.

As suggested several pages back, if FR is truly worried about people encountering things that trigger them, like holes and spiders and whatnot, then code a flagging feature for skins and accents and maybe even genes. The FR team tags every skin, accent and gene with pre-defined categories (such as Plague, blood, scars, religious, holes, etc) and players can choose tags that they don't see. Someone with arachnophobia could choose to not see spiders, and those skins simply wouldn't load for that account. Someone who has trypophobia could tag the jaguar and rosette genes and those would all load as basic (although still be labeled as jaguar and rosette on the dragon's information). I know it would take a little work to code, but I think it's the best solution.

As it is now, it feels like the Plague flight are being needlessly singled out compared to other flights and faith positions are being discouraged compared to every other protected class of people. And neither should have to feel ashamed for what they are.

And if FR is unwilling to alter in the slightest, then very clear-cut rules need to be written and posted with all the other guidelines on the skin and accent page, right where people are going to look for the rules here. Artists shouldn't have to dig through the forums to find the regulations.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
[quote name="gemajgall" date=2017-10-21 07:55:39] I was toying with the Name Generator just now, and the name "Blood" is actually in there. It seems really odd to me FR would allow that in the random name generator but not on skins or accents. I really hope they reconsider. Especially scars. Scars to me I flat-out do not understand since scars are healed and definitely show survival. I cannot think of anything more worthy of the plague flight than scars. I also hope they reconsider religious symbolism and allow people of all faith positions to have the exact same ability to show their pride and discuss their dogmas as people of different genders and disabilities and all the other people categories protected on FR. As suggested several pages back, if FR is truly worried about people encountering things that trigger them, like holes and spiders and whatnot, then code a flagging feature for skins and accents and maybe even genes. The FR team tags every skin, accent and gene with pre-defined categories (such as Plague, blood, scars, religious, holes, etc) and players can choose tags that they don't see. Someone with arachnophobia could choose to not see spiders, and those skins simply wouldn't load for that account. Someone who has trypophobia could tag the jaguar and rosette genes and those would all load as basic (although still be labeled as jaguar and rosette on the dragon's information). I know it would take a little work to code, but I think it's the best solution. As it is now, it feels like the Plague flight are being needlessly singled out compared to other flights and faith positions are being discouraged compared to every other protected class of people. And neither should have to feel ashamed for what they are. And if FR is unwilling to alter in the slightest, then very clear-cut rules need to be written and posted with all the other guidelines on the skin and accent page, right where people are going to look for the rules here. Artists shouldn't have to dig through the forums to find the regulations. [/quote] I Have long liked this idea of allowing users the ability to filter out the things they don't like (and I would say potentially even extend it to items and familiars where if they are 'filtered' they just show a basic category place holder). This would solve a lot of problems with certain things on the site and allow users who are uncomfortable, just don't like, or have true problems (IE are truly triggered) with certain images to customize their experience. This in turn allows OTHER users to enjoy the things they like since those users who DON'T want to see them have a way to prevent that. It would be a lot of work to tag everything as well as implement a filter (and a gene filter, I am somewhat iffy on due to the AH. I would prefer it if the dragon didn't show as basic but I don't know how else it could be shown for genes that are filtered). However, the bulk of the work would also be an one time effort, once the system is in place, it would hopefully be much easier to tag images (both going forward and retroactively). As for 'needing to tag everything' (which is often brought up when filters or arachnophobia is brought up), they wouldn't. They could just tag for the most common issues and allow users to suggest their own tags. (that would be implemented by the staff). If enough people suggest a tag, then a new blocking category can be added. They could also try to poll the site to get an idea of the most common tags people (at least ones who frequent the forums or front page) want. I also think that implementing a two tier approach for skins/accents (I suggested this a while ago as well) would be nice. For the first tier, festival skins, have more strict rules. These skins, because they are sold for treasure and found in the coliseum (and this also goes for skin contests where the skins are going to be sold by the site or put in the coliseum), are often more common and are the type a random user is more likely to run across by just randomly browsing forums or the random dragon. These skins would have a stricter set of rules, closer to what is in place now (though a bit less restricted with the wounds/scars etc...) For the Second tier, customs skins that are sold for gems by other users, have a much looser set of rules as these are often not as wide spread and it is less likely an user is just going to randomly come across them. I also agree that any and all rules should be clearly defined and posted in one area. This makes it easier on all parties involved, the artists because they now know what is most likely to be accepted and the admins because they will (hopefully) have to veto fewer skins that break the rules.
gemajgall wrote on 2017-10-21:

I Have long liked this idea of allowing users the ability to filter out the things they don't like (and I would say potentially even extend it to items and familiars where if they are 'filtered' they just show a basic category place holder). This would solve a lot of problems with certain things on the site and allow users who are uncomfortable, just don't like, or have true problems (IE are truly triggered) with certain images to customize their experience. This in turn allows OTHER users to enjoy the things they like since those users who DON'T want to see them have a way to prevent that.

It would be a lot of work to tag everything as well as implement a filter (and a gene filter, I am somewhat iffy on due to the AH. I would prefer it if the dragon didn't show as basic but I don't know how else it could be shown for genes that are filtered). However, the bulk of the work would also be an one time effort, once the system is in place, it would hopefully be much easier to tag images (both going forward and retroactively).

As for 'needing to tag everything' (which is often brought up when filters or arachnophobia is brought up), they wouldn't. They could just tag for the most common issues and allow users to suggest their own tags. (that would be implemented by the staff). If enough people suggest a tag, then a new blocking category can be added. They could also try to poll the site to get an idea of the most common tags people (at least ones who frequent the forums or front page) want.

I also think that implementing a two tier approach for skins/accents (I suggested this a while ago as well) would be nice.

For the first tier, festival skins, have more strict rules. These skins, because they are sold for treasure and found in the coliseum (and this also goes for skin contests where the skins are going to be sold by the site or put in the coliseum), are often more common and are the type a random user is more likely to run across by just randomly browsing forums or the random dragon. These skins would have a stricter set of rules, closer to what is in place now (though a bit less restricted with the wounds/scars etc...)

For the Second tier, customs skins that are sold for gems by other users, have a much looser set of rules as these are often not as wide spread and it is less likely an user is just going to randomly come across them.

I also agree that any and all rules should be clearly defined and posted in one area. This makes it easier on all parties involved, the artists because they now know what is most likely to be accepted and the admins because they will (hopefully) have to veto fewer skins that break the rules.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
1 2 ... 35 36 37 38 39 ... 81 82