Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Gene colour-matching assoc/subspecies?
This is prompted by the discussion from this thread, which culminated in me making this spreadsheet (as well as other users @Dain and @QueenParda doing similar kinds of thing).

I really like genes which involve noticeably contrasting colours (as opposed to just slightly lighter/darker shades of the gene colour, like more subtle genes have) - mainly Poison/Toxin and Petals/Butterfly. I also like combining those genes with others that match the contrast colours. And based on the activity of that thread, it looks like there are at least some other users who like the same thing!

So I'm wondering if there'd be any interest in some kind of group focused on this use of contrasting colours and genes. I don't really know how these things work, but it could be a breeding association or a subspecies? That way there could be guidelines about what makes a dragon fit the criteria, a place for people to find/share/sell similar dragons or breeding pairs, that kind of thing. If no-one else cares then I will just continue making my own breeding projects, but if others are interested then it might be fun to make a group of some kind!
This is prompted by the discussion from this thread, which culminated in me making this spreadsheet (as well as other users @Dain and @QueenParda doing similar kinds of thing).

I really like genes which involve noticeably contrasting colours (as opposed to just slightly lighter/darker shades of the gene colour, like more subtle genes have) - mainly Poison/Toxin and Petals/Butterfly. I also like combining those genes with others that match the contrast colours. And based on the activity of that thread, it looks like there are at least some other users who like the same thing!

So I'm wondering if there'd be any interest in some kind of group focused on this use of contrasting colours and genes. I don't really know how these things work, but it could be a breeding association or a subspecies? That way there could be guidelines about what makes a dragon fit the criteria, a place for people to find/share/sell similar dragons or breeding pairs, that kind of thing. If no-one else cares then I will just continue making my own breeding projects, but if others are interested then it might be fun to make a group of some kind!
Oooh yeah I could get behind this. xD
Oooh yeah I could get behind this. xD
dCIzGis.png
@Dain Do you have any particular ideas about how it might work? :) I'm thinking it might be hard to have very well-defined criteria because a) everyone has slightly different interpretations of which colours match (as evidenced by the fact that three different users have got three sets of slightly different results already!), and b) all 177 colours have a set of several matching colours for each gene, which obviously adds up to a LOT of combinations. I guess we could just create a spreadsheet that combined the most commonly chosen matching colours, so that people can refer to that to define whether a dragon fits the criteria or not. And then there could be categories like: [list][*] One gene (Pet, But, Poi, or Tox) with one contrasting colour (and one irrelevant / non-matching colour) [*] One gene with a double of a contrasting colour [*] One gene with two different contrasting colours [*] Two of the same gene (Pet/But or Poi/Tox) with one contrasting colour [*] Maybe two different genes in different colours, but which have a matching contrasting colour so they complement each other?? This one might be overly complex though. :D[/list]
@Dain Do you have any particular ideas about how it might work? :)

I'm thinking it might be hard to have very well-defined criteria because a) everyone has slightly different interpretations of which colours match (as evidenced by the fact that three different users have got three sets of slightly different results already!), and b) all 177 colours have a set of several matching colours for each gene, which obviously adds up to a LOT of combinations.

I guess we could just create a spreadsheet that combined the most commonly chosen matching colours, so that people can refer to that to define whether a dragon fits the criteria or not. And then there could be categories like:
  • One gene (Pet, But, Poi, or Tox) with one contrasting colour (and one irrelevant / non-matching colour)
  • One gene with a double of a contrasting colour
  • One gene with two different contrasting colours
  • Two of the same gene (Pet/But or Poi/Tox) with one contrasting colour
  • Maybe two different genes in different colours, but which have a matching contrasting colour so they complement each other?? This one might be overly complex though. :D
And as for how breeding pairs would work... I have no idea! Because of the variation between the contrasting shades in each colour, it doesn't really work to have a colour range - if you had a range of a few nearby possible colours in the babies, they wouldn't necessarily have nearby contrasting colours. So I guess it could just be based on the probability of the babies fitting the actual criteria? E.g. if the parents were identical then the babies would be guaranteed to fit the criteria, if the parents were identical except with a two-colour range in one gene the babies would have a 50% chance, etc...
And as for how breeding pairs would work... I have no idea! Because of the variation between the contrasting shades in each colour, it doesn't really work to have a colour range - if you had a range of a few nearby possible colours in the babies, they wouldn't necessarily have nearby contrasting colours. So I guess it could just be based on the probability of the babies fitting the actual criteria? E.g. if the parents were identical then the babies would be guaranteed to fit the criteria, if the parents were identical except with a two-colour range in one gene the babies would have a 50% chance, etc...