Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Anyone interested in Horror?
1 2
Hello all! I am SUPER interested in Horror fiction, of all kids. Movies, literature, games, music, stories, you name it I probably like it. XD And I really like discussing, analyzing, and freaking out about it. Anyone have similar interests?
Hello all! I am SUPER interested in Horror fiction, of all kids. Movies, literature, games, music, stories, you name it I probably like it. XD And I really like discussing, analyzing, and freaking out about it. Anyone have similar interests?
Hella yeah :D I'm on a phone or I would go into more detail.

Recently I read Richard Matheson's Hell House. He and Stephen King are two of my favorite horror writers -- King's Danse Macabre is a little dated now, but a superb examination of the genre.
Hella yeah :D I'm on a phone or I would go into more detail.

Recently I read Richard Matheson's Hell House. He and Stephen King are two of my favorite horror writers -- King's Danse Macabre is a little dated now, but a superb examination of the genre.
ZM3TQUN.png
Your no.1 horror movie enthusiast right here.
I do like horror games, too. And even though I don't have enough time or motivation to read currently, I really do enjoy reading horror/thriller stuff, or whatever.
I have to say though it's a pain to find a good horror film, or what I consider good.
For example, you will find Paranormal Activity on every Top Horror Movie List, and I just think it is terribly boring, and absolutely no horror at all. Uhm. xD
Your no.1 horror movie enthusiast right here.
I do like horror games, too. And even though I don't have enough time or motivation to read currently, I really do enjoy reading horror/thriller stuff, or whatever.
I have to say though it's a pain to find a good horror film, or what I consider good.
For example, you will find Paranormal Activity on every Top Horror Movie List, and I just think it is terribly boring, and absolutely no horror at all. Uhm. xD
"Solas, have I ever wanted to hear one of your endless explanations? Ever."
@DoctorValentine Yay! I haven't actually read that one! And truthfully I haven't actually got to S. King, yet. XD I kinda got into horror as a genre in the early 20th century abouts, and am working from there... I would love to hear about that 'more detail!'

@ArchieHicox See, I have mixed feelings about Paranormal Activity. They were about the first horror movies I'd really watched, they scared the **** out of me, and I found it amusing how I was always Getting It before the characters were. *shrug* But definitely not on my list of favorites. XD I must wonder have you seen any of these, and are they good by your standards?
Woman in Black
Mama
Insidious
Sinister

And, I also want to ask what IS on that list of good movies! I'm always looking for more! :D
@DoctorValentine Yay! I haven't actually read that one! And truthfully I haven't actually got to S. King, yet. XD I kinda got into horror as a genre in the early 20th century abouts, and am working from there... I would love to hear about that 'more detail!'

@ArchieHicox See, I have mixed feelings about Paranormal Activity. They were about the first horror movies I'd really watched, they scared the **** out of me, and I found it amusing how I was always Getting It before the characters were. *shrug* But definitely not on my list of favorites. XD I must wonder have you seen any of these, and are they good by your standards?
Woman in Black
Mama
Insidious
Sinister

And, I also want to ask what IS on that list of good movies! I'm always looking for more! :D
I love horror, I'd recommend Rue Morgue magazine if you're interested in that sort of thing (it lists new horror films, interviews with actors/horror artists and all sorts).

My favourite is bad horror films haha, the Hellraiser series is so wonderfully camp.

From your list, I really enjoyed Mama, it's a bit hit and miss throughout but it's an interesting concept with some nice horror elements. Woman in Black is good too but doesn't hold a candle to the stage show.

I'd also recommend Cube, another film with an interesting concept. :)
I love horror, I'd recommend Rue Morgue magazine if you're interested in that sort of thing (it lists new horror films, interviews with actors/horror artists and all sorts).

My favourite is bad horror films haha, the Hellraiser series is so wonderfully camp.

From your list, I really enjoyed Mama, it's a bit hit and miss throughout but it's an interesting concept with some nice horror elements. Woman in Black is good too but doesn't hold a candle to the stage show.

I'd also recommend Cube, another film with an interesting concept. :)
b6W0Gze.png
I love everything about horror! I'm actually writing a few horror short stories right now so hopefully those come out good. But movie wise, woman in black is currently one of my favorites, but I'm yet to find a horror movie that genuinely scares me
I love everything about horror! I'm actually writing a few horror short stories right now so hopefully those come out good. But movie wise, woman in black is currently one of my favorites, but I'm yet to find a horror movie that genuinely scares me
tumblr_nl9b5zO8up1ssnvh6o4_500.png
@Katsra
Oh well, I know some people who just can't watch Paranormal. I never really understood xD
Not even the jumpscare at the very end of the first movie got me. *cough* Well, maybe it's because I am not really the biggest fan of supernatural things, like ghosts. Poltergeist, for example, was also pretty boring to me. I can only hope the remake will be better, lol.
As from your list, I know all except Insidious, and I must say again, they rather bored me. I admit I haven't watched Woman in Black to the end, and I basically only listened to Mama after I almost fell asleep, so I did something else beside, like I do most of the time. Not quite sure what to think about Sinister - I can barely remember, which means, I wasn't completely excited about it.

As @Vesuvia said, Cube is a very good movie. In fact, I just love it, because it really creeps the hell outta you, not because it's super scary, but because you lose your mind. While the first one is already exciting enough, the second, Hypercube, makes you go MAD, I tell you. Cube Zero though isn't that good, I think.
Hellraiser is all blood and gore c: PINHEAD.

Other than that, I recommend Carrie (original), Nightmare on Elmstreet (I like the remake best for this one), Friday the 13th, and all that basic stuff. If you haven't seen it already.
Then, the Asians have probably mastered the art of horror/thriller. I don't know if you can count it as horror, but The Vengeance Trilogy just blew me away. Watched all of them more than once, like Sympathy for Lady Vengeance the best.
I Saw The Devil is also awesome. (Seriously, after these movies, you won't be able to look at Choi Min-sik the same way again)

My list is long. I could go on forever. x3
@Katsra
Oh well, I know some people who just can't watch Paranormal. I never really understood xD
Not even the jumpscare at the very end of the first movie got me. *cough* Well, maybe it's because I am not really the biggest fan of supernatural things, like ghosts. Poltergeist, for example, was also pretty boring to me. I can only hope the remake will be better, lol.
As from your list, I know all except Insidious, and I must say again, they rather bored me. I admit I haven't watched Woman in Black to the end, and I basically only listened to Mama after I almost fell asleep, so I did something else beside, like I do most of the time. Not quite sure what to think about Sinister - I can barely remember, which means, I wasn't completely excited about it.

As @Vesuvia said, Cube is a very good movie. In fact, I just love it, because it really creeps the hell outta you, not because it's super scary, but because you lose your mind. While the first one is already exciting enough, the second, Hypercube, makes you go MAD, I tell you. Cube Zero though isn't that good, I think.
Hellraiser is all blood and gore c: PINHEAD.

Other than that, I recommend Carrie (original), Nightmare on Elmstreet (I like the remake best for this one), Friday the 13th, and all that basic stuff. If you haven't seen it already.
Then, the Asians have probably mastered the art of horror/thriller. I don't know if you can count it as horror, but The Vengeance Trilogy just blew me away. Watched all of them more than once, like Sympathy for Lady Vengeance the best.
I Saw The Devil is also awesome. (Seriously, after these movies, you won't be able to look at Choi Min-sik the same way again)

My list is long. I could go on forever. x3
"Solas, have I ever wanted to hear one of your endless explanations? Ever."
@Vesuvia I totally agree with you on the Woman in Black. I liked the movie because, well, it scared me and I really really like the concept of the story. But I liked the stage-play more. I also kind of want to find the book and read that.... get all three mediums! :D
@Vesuvia I totally agree with you on the Woman in Black. I liked the movie because, well, it scared me and I really really like the concept of the story. But I liked the stage-play more. I also kind of want to find the book and read that.... get all three mediums! :D
@ArchieHicox Yeeaaaah, the Asians are pretty good at horror. I think it might have something to do with the difference between Western philosophies of death and spirits and stuff and the Eastern ones. Ghost stories in Asia also tend to get more... interesting. XD

See, the thing is that I actually prefer supernatural horror. I've always been fascinated by things like ghosts and demons and curses. Sinister is probably one of my favorites. XD I also really liked Shutter!
@ArchieHicox Yeeaaaah, the Asians are pretty good at horror. I think it might have something to do with the difference between Western philosophies of death and spirits and stuff and the Eastern ones. Ghost stories in Asia also tend to get more... interesting. XD

See, the thing is that I actually prefer supernatural horror. I've always been fascinated by things like ghosts and demons and curses. Sinister is probably one of my favorites. XD I also really liked Shutter!
I love, LOVE horror videogames with a passion. *o* Ever since Silent Hill and Project Zero pulled me in when I was younger, I just can't get enough.

Even though I'm a bit of a wimp, the games scare me so much haha. Because of it though I can watch horror movies without flinching; it's not the same when you have to control the events yourself, haha!

People call me weird for going to see the latest horror movies in the cinema by myself. -u-'
I love, LOVE horror videogames with a passion. *o* Ever since Silent Hill and Project Zero pulled me in when I was younger, I just can't get enough.

Even though I'm a bit of a wimp, the games scare me so much haha. Because of it though I can watch horror movies without flinching; it's not the same when you have to control the events yourself, haha!

People call me weird for going to see the latest horror movies in the cinema by myself. -u-'
tDAcVLz.png
1 2