Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | anyone else play FFXIV?
@Ena
YES OH MY GOD !!
I've been waiting for an FFXIV thread for months.

My main is on Phoenix, a Hyur lvl 50 Bard; I'm just finishing of the main quest so I'll be ready for Heavensward when it releases, and I'll hopefully have level Dragoon to 50 by then too. I really, really like BRD and DRG both. Healing and Tanking though... nah. I'll eventually do everything, I suppose but right now I kind of want to learn how endgame stuff works and imho a DPS class (and one as easy to play as BRD) is the best option for that because it's just a lot less responsibility.

Also: BRD is pretty amazing, I've got to admit. It's not top DPS but. Mobility. Less dodging. I love it. (Not so much that you cripple your damage by singing, but oh well. So far it wasn't often that I had to.)

I did make an alt though, to see how Odin is as a server but since alts are kind of obsolete I abandoned it; it really made me fall in love with DRG though. It's just so fun to play ;v;

I have to admit that I don't like casters very much though - it's the 'lol don't move or get hit or your cast is interrupted' part that just takes the fun out of it for me. (If I had to go caster, I'd go Summoner though. Because two jobs in one is a lot of saved time and exp.)

BUT YEAH TALK TO ME ABOUT FFXIV
I love this game way too much it's taken over my life orz
@Ena
YES OH MY GOD !!
I've been waiting for an FFXIV thread for months.

My main is on Phoenix, a Hyur lvl 50 Bard; I'm just finishing of the main quest so I'll be ready for Heavensward when it releases, and I'll hopefully have level Dragoon to 50 by then too. I really, really like BRD and DRG both. Healing and Tanking though... nah. I'll eventually do everything, I suppose but right now I kind of want to learn how endgame stuff works and imho a DPS class (and one as easy to play as BRD) is the best option for that because it's just a lot less responsibility.

Also: BRD is pretty amazing, I've got to admit. It's not top DPS but. Mobility. Less dodging. I love it. (Not so much that you cripple your damage by singing, but oh well. So far it wasn't often that I had to.)

I did make an alt though, to see how Odin is as a server but since alts are kind of obsolete I abandoned it; it really made me fall in love with DRG though. It's just so fun to play ;v;

I have to admit that I don't like casters very much though - it's the 'lol don't move or get hit or your cast is interrupted' part that just takes the fun out of it for me. (If I had to go caster, I'd go Summoner though. Because two jobs in one is a lot of saved time and exp.)

BUT YEAH TALK TO ME ABOUT FFXIV
I love this game way too much it's taken over my life orz
ijWAday.png
@Patches
yeah, although i'm not that far myself, i've watched my friends run a lot of the endgame dungeons and trials, and i feel like i'm going to have an extreme amount of regret for leveling a healing class first when i reach that point. xD especially titan extreme lord help me.

admittedly the cast interruption is one of the most annoying things about all of the disciples of magic, but as long as tanks are good i find that i don't have too much of an issue with it at this point. again watching endgame stuff i do realize that will change eventually but for now my biggest concern is making sure i don't become the tank by accident. it happens quite frequently and most tanks are good sports about it but some just get really annoyed like i do it intentionally and it's like nah man do you not understand how this works???????

once i was running haukke with a tank like that and it was such torture because every time we wiped they would blame me like my stats weren't high enough to heal properly but it's just like... i literally cannot do anything if i am surrounded by enemies and you're not grabbing them? but aside from that particular experience i haven't had too bad of a time with dungeon parties so far which i've been grateful for.

plus if need be i can always ask one of my friends to run something with me, which is always really convenient.

but yeah, summoner is probably going to be the next job i get. originally i was planning on getting that one first because i started with arcanist, but for some reason i went to conjurer instead, and ended up a white mage because my arcanist was built for summoner, not scholar, and i don't have the equipment to fix my stats just yet.
@Patches
yeah, although i'm not that far myself, i've watched my friends run a lot of the endgame dungeons and trials, and i feel like i'm going to have an extreme amount of regret for leveling a healing class first when i reach that point. xD especially titan extreme lord help me.

admittedly the cast interruption is one of the most annoying things about all of the disciples of magic, but as long as tanks are good i find that i don't have too much of an issue with it at this point. again watching endgame stuff i do realize that will change eventually but for now my biggest concern is making sure i don't become the tank by accident. it happens quite frequently and most tanks are good sports about it but some just get really annoyed like i do it intentionally and it's like nah man do you not understand how this works???????

once i was running haukke with a tank like that and it was such torture because every time we wiped they would blame me like my stats weren't high enough to heal properly but it's just like... i literally cannot do anything if i am surrounded by enemies and you're not grabbing them? but aside from that particular experience i haven't had too bad of a time with dungeon parties so far which i've been grateful for.

plus if need be i can always ask one of my friends to run something with me, which is always really convenient.

but yeah, summoner is probably going to be the next job i get. originally i was planning on getting that one first because i started with arcanist, but for some reason i went to conjurer instead, and ended up a white mage because my arcanist was built for summoner, not scholar, and i don't have the equipment to fix my stats just yet.
@Ena
I haven't done any extreme Primals yet because I am kinda scared but. Yeah. Titan EX apparently used to be the hardest thing and I mean... Titan HM is bad enough already. I used to think Titan HM. would be a cakewalk because he was the easiest normal mode Primal but I was very wrong - thiugh granted, I'd probably have significantly less trouble now that I got used to actually having to dodge things because early game BRD is just standing out of range and moving left or right sometimes.

Yeah I've onl run a few Guildhests as CJN and it was mostly me panicking because I got so much aggro so fast @_@
In my experience things just start getting better once you hit the endgame content though, because people get a better grasp of their job, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Then again, I haven't touched the harder endgame stuff like the Coils, so I am by no means an authority on that.

But honestly, most of the nasty people I met were tanks. Not sure if that's coincidence or if tanks generally are just annoyed all the time. (ofc I met a lot of great tanks too, but of all the nasty people most were tanks.) One time the tank was legitimately mad at me because I did the dungeon for the first time and didn't know all the mechanics by heart. I mean, I read a guide and everything but that doesn't give me actual experience of what Happens when and how I should react, you know?
Also apparently a lot of tanks used to be nasty on purpose and withdrew from duties whenever they should have commenced and that's why the 'You can only withdraw thrice per day when using the Duty Finder' thing was introduced. Though of course I am speaking as a DPS person and our queue times are insanely long and annoying as hell and people making us suffer even more just for the hell of it makes me very angry :l
Then again, that's what happens when you have like, zero queue time I suppose.

I don't know. I think I might be unfair but like. Honestly. Almost all negative interactions I've had were with tanks and I guess if you're playing tank you might just be annoyed at noobs who don't know things yet but also... I've been trying to complete 'The Steps of Faith' for hours and it has queuetimes above 30 minutes for me and then I get in... and the tank is like 'nope' and just leaves and waiting for another takes forever and I may just be a little mad at tanks in general because of all these things, I suppose.

Then again, I've rarely had to deal with DPS or Healers who were rude. Strange.

Haukke kind of sucks though - not as much as Aurum Vale - but I remember my first two tries were a catastrophe - maybe I just has bad luck with the Duty Finder, but good god it was awful. Aurum Vale though... I feel sorry for you when you get there, especially whit an inexperienced party. It's kind of easy actually, but there's so many anmoying mechanics and everytime I am in there I get people who mess up a lot... I don't know. I probably sound really entitled and stupid but once you know how a boss works it's painful to see others mess up even if you tell them exactly what to do and just. Argh. It's when you explained everything but they just won't learn, you know? And somehow the Aurum Vale is the worst dungeon for this, apparently. I've not heard anyone say that they genuinely like it too, so I feel as though there's truth to it... and somehow Low-level Roulette insists on making me go there all the time.

But yeah, you can fix your stats by getting a Keeper's Hymn with Grand Company seals - they are really cheap, and available quite early too, I believe.
I find Arcanist just. Convenient, I guess, because it gives you access to two jobs without leveling two jobs; also I like the Summoned thingies a lot - they are so cute ;v; Not as much of a fan of all the DoTs though; it's not my playstyle, I suppose, to keep track of so many things - I did get better at it though, so that's nice, and I remember to use my own DoTs... which. i didn't for a long time because 'eh what's the point'.

But also: DRG. I know I said it before but I enjoy it immensely like? DRGs are so cool? And also I want to have a DRG ready for Heavensward because it seems right, considering the trailer - but they are also a lot of what I like, which is basically massive damage. I think they are not top DPS because iirc that's Ninja, but. DRGs are just a lot cooler than NINs and get nicer armor and aesthetics are very important to me.

I'm sorry this got really long and rambly but I am so excited to be able to talk about ffxiv like??? I don't know anyone who plays aside from the people in-game ofc so it's just nice :')
@Ena
I haven't done any extreme Primals yet because I am kinda scared but. Yeah. Titan EX apparently used to be the hardest thing and I mean... Titan HM is bad enough already. I used to think Titan HM. would be a cakewalk because he was the easiest normal mode Primal but I was very wrong - thiugh granted, I'd probably have significantly less trouble now that I got used to actually having to dodge things because early game BRD is just standing out of range and moving left or right sometimes.

Yeah I've onl run a few Guildhests as CJN and it was mostly me panicking because I got so much aggro so fast @_@
In my experience things just start getting better once you hit the endgame content though, because people get a better grasp of their job, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Then again, I haven't touched the harder endgame stuff like the Coils, so I am by no means an authority on that.

But honestly, most of the nasty people I met were tanks. Not sure if that's coincidence or if tanks generally are just annoyed all the time. (ofc I met a lot of great tanks too, but of all the nasty people most were tanks.) One time the tank was legitimately mad at me because I did the dungeon for the first time and didn't know all the mechanics by heart. I mean, I read a guide and everything but that doesn't give me actual experience of what Happens when and how I should react, you know?
Also apparently a lot of tanks used to be nasty on purpose and withdrew from duties whenever they should have commenced and that's why the 'You can only withdraw thrice per day when using the Duty Finder' thing was introduced. Though of course I am speaking as a DPS person and our queue times are insanely long and annoying as hell and people making us suffer even more just for the hell of it makes me very angry :l
Then again, that's what happens when you have like, zero queue time I suppose.

I don't know. I think I might be unfair but like. Honestly. Almost all negative interactions I've had were with tanks and I guess if you're playing tank you might just be annoyed at noobs who don't know things yet but also... I've been trying to complete 'The Steps of Faith' for hours and it has queuetimes above 30 minutes for me and then I get in... and the tank is like 'nope' and just leaves and waiting for another takes forever and I may just be a little mad at tanks in general because of all these things, I suppose.

Then again, I've rarely had to deal with DPS or Healers who were rude. Strange.

Haukke kind of sucks though - not as much as Aurum Vale - but I remember my first two tries were a catastrophe - maybe I just has bad luck with the Duty Finder, but good god it was awful. Aurum Vale though... I feel sorry for you when you get there, especially whit an inexperienced party. It's kind of easy actually, but there's so many anmoying mechanics and everytime I am in there I get people who mess up a lot... I don't know. I probably sound really entitled and stupid but once you know how a boss works it's painful to see others mess up even if you tell them exactly what to do and just. Argh. It's when you explained everything but they just won't learn, you know? And somehow the Aurum Vale is the worst dungeon for this, apparently. I've not heard anyone say that they genuinely like it too, so I feel as though there's truth to it... and somehow Low-level Roulette insists on making me go there all the time.

But yeah, you can fix your stats by getting a Keeper's Hymn with Grand Company seals - they are really cheap, and available quite early too, I believe.
I find Arcanist just. Convenient, I guess, because it gives you access to two jobs without leveling two jobs; also I like the Summoned thingies a lot - they are so cute ;v; Not as much of a fan of all the DoTs though; it's not my playstyle, I suppose, to keep track of so many things - I did get better at it though, so that's nice, and I remember to use my own DoTs... which. i didn't for a long time because 'eh what's the point'.

But also: DRG. I know I said it before but I enjoy it immensely like? DRGs are so cool? And also I want to have a DRG ready for Heavensward because it seems right, considering the trailer - but they are also a lot of what I like, which is basically massive damage. I think they are not top DPS because iirc that's Ninja, but. DRGs are just a lot cooler than NINs and get nicer armor and aesthetics are very important to me.

I'm sorry this got really long and rambly but I am so excited to be able to talk about ffxiv like??? I don't know anyone who plays aside from the people in-game ofc so it's just nice :')
ijWAday.png
@Patches
aw man no don't apologize. xD i made this thread for exactly the same reason because i can always go to my friends and be like aH MAN THIS THING HAPPENED AND IT WAS SO AWESOME and they'll get it because they play too but like??????

but ugh man i haaaaated running hests as a conjurer early on. one of them, @PrinceSilver was leveling lancer and wanted me to queue with him and he ended up being my personal tank because the tank wasn't paying any attention to me and he was sitting right next to me so i could just be like grab enemy please. now. before i die. ;w; admittedly it's probably because people use them when they're just starting to learn new roles but still. it does get easier once you get past that point though.

tank mentalities as a whole are kind of either or i think. i've met a lot of tanks who were super helpful, marked every enemy as needed, made sure everyone knew what to do/what was going on... but then i've also met tanks who do none of that and then get annoyed when people don't read their minds. >_______< sometimes i've even taken it upon myself to start asking people if they know the mechanics when it's not my first time through because it makes me feel bad for the newbies that we get.

DPS QUEUES THOUGH I FEEL YOU. since i started with arcanist i had to deal with that for the longest time before i switched to conjurer and it was suddenly like oNE SECOND QUEUES and i was like hallelujah. i think the main reason i've been putting off getting summoner and black mage is because i have to deal with leveling thaumaturge all the way to 30 to do it.

i actually like haukke for the most part though, when the tank is good. i've run it the most of any dungeon i've got access to, and as long as the tank knows what to do and isn't undergeared, things have run pretty smoothly. of course when that doesn't happen it's awful. x_______x one run the tank died in the first room because the maidservant showed up and there was no one around to interrupt her aoe so i had to run out of it and then was out of the line of sight of the tank and it was a huge issue because if i had gotten caught by the aoe i would have been a statue anyway. i also had a tank one run that refused to pick up any keys even when they were standing right next to them and i was so confused?????

i think i've watched one of my friends run aurum vale before but tbh i don't really remember it that well. is that the one with the dragon or the morbol? wait no stone vigil is the dragon never mind i'm good.
@Patches
aw man no don't apologize. xD i made this thread for exactly the same reason because i can always go to my friends and be like aH MAN THIS THING HAPPENED AND IT WAS SO AWESOME and they'll get it because they play too but like??????

but ugh man i haaaaated running hests as a conjurer early on. one of them, @PrinceSilver was leveling lancer and wanted me to queue with him and he ended up being my personal tank because the tank wasn't paying any attention to me and he was sitting right next to me so i could just be like grab enemy please. now. before i die. ;w; admittedly it's probably because people use them when they're just starting to learn new roles but still. it does get easier once you get past that point though.

tank mentalities as a whole are kind of either or i think. i've met a lot of tanks who were super helpful, marked every enemy as needed, made sure everyone knew what to do/what was going on... but then i've also met tanks who do none of that and then get annoyed when people don't read their minds. >_______< sometimes i've even taken it upon myself to start asking people if they know the mechanics when it's not my first time through because it makes me feel bad for the newbies that we get.

DPS QUEUES THOUGH I FEEL YOU. since i started with arcanist i had to deal with that for the longest time before i switched to conjurer and it was suddenly like oNE SECOND QUEUES and i was like hallelujah. i think the main reason i've been putting off getting summoner and black mage is because i have to deal with leveling thaumaturge all the way to 30 to do it.

i actually like haukke for the most part though, when the tank is good. i've run it the most of any dungeon i've got access to, and as long as the tank knows what to do and isn't undergeared, things have run pretty smoothly. of course when that doesn't happen it's awful. x_______x one run the tank died in the first room because the maidservant showed up and there was no one around to interrupt her aoe so i had to run out of it and then was out of the line of sight of the tank and it was a huge issue because if i had gotten caught by the aoe i would have been a statue anyway. i also had a tank one run that refused to pick up any keys even when they were standing right next to them and i was so confused?????

i think i've watched one of my friends run aurum vale before but tbh i don't really remember it that well. is that the one with the dragon or the morbol? wait no stone vigil is the dragon never mind i'm good.
I just seriously started playing black mage. stop copying Ena :p
I just seriously started playing black mage. stop copying Ena :p
@Ena. still don't know how the internet works
@Ena. still don't know how the internet works
@foolishfang
don't judge me because i don't like melee okay. white mage is probably going to be my main regardless. also proud of you, you've already made more progress than someone else who refuses to post on the forums ever. xD
@foolishfang
don't judge me because i don't like melee okay. white mage is probably going to be my main regardless. also proud of you, you've already made more progress than someone else who refuses to post on the forums ever. xD
@Ena
lol i will soon be our FC's resident archmage. i just need to get black mage to 50 and i will have all the disciples of magic at level 50
@Ena
lol i will soon be our FC's resident archmage. i just need to get black mage to 50 and i will have all the disciples of magic at level 50
@Patches
I just recently beat Titan Ex and it was tough as hell. took a couple of tries and that was with me as an item level 120 Ninja with my other FC mates sitting literally right next to me. Primals scare me.
@Patches
I just recently beat Titan Ex and it was tough as hell. took a couple of tries and that was with me as an item level 120 Ninja with my other FC mates sitting literally right next to me. Primals scare me.
@foolishfang
i will do that too... eventually... >_____> and get bard because it's the only other ranged. maaaaaaybe someday i'll decide to actually seriously attempt melee. (probably not.)
@foolishfang
i will do that too... eventually... >_____> and get bard because it's the only other ranged. maaaaaaybe someday i'll decide to actually seriously attempt melee. (probably not.)