Back

Introductions

Introduce yourself and say hello to the rest of the community.
TOPIC | A Very Overdue Introduction
Hello! I am WitheredFox and I just don't know if I did one of these already? I don't remember unfortunately. But I joined in 2016, and it's a shock that I haven't done this in a lONG TIME.

Again, I might have.

But past that, I am also currently looking for other players to discuss with, I like a ton of games, anime, and...that is all there is. I also like to draw, read and write, the whole basic likes. Which of course, there's nothing wrong with that! I just call myself that because I am that:)

I also play dnd (Dungeons&Dragons). I play as an Aarakocra Druid in the Curse of Strahd campaign and I am currently running the Icewind Dale campaign as a Dungeon Master. (We haven't started yet but we're getting there).

But anyway, that is all there is to me, don't ping as I am subed to this thread <3
Hello! I am WitheredFox and I just don't know if I did one of these already? I don't remember unfortunately. But I joined in 2016, and it's a shock that I haven't done this in a lONG TIME.

Again, I might have.

But past that, I am also currently looking for other players to discuss with, I like a ton of games, anime, and...that is all there is. I also like to draw, read and write, the whole basic likes. Which of course, there's nothing wrong with that! I just call myself that because I am that:)

I also play dnd (Dungeons&Dragons). I play as an Aarakocra Druid in the Curse of Strahd campaign and I am currently running the Icewind Dale campaign as a Dungeon Master. (We haven't started yet but we're getting there).

But anyway, that is all there is to me, don't ping as I am subed to this thread <3
I'm used to saying "welcome to flightrising!" But you've already been here longer than me! XD There's a ton of gaming hubs in General Discussion and loads of groups for writing and drawing in Creative Corner. I've never played DnD before but I've been trying to learn! Any advice for starting out? I've been finding the whole thing very overwhelming.
I'm used to saying "welcome to flightrising!" But you've already been here longer than me! XD There's a ton of gaming hubs in General Discussion and loads of groups for writing and drawing in Creative Corner. I've never played DnD before but I've been trying to learn! Any advice for starting out? I've been finding the whole thing very overwhelming.
gMnWfUA.gif
Artist:
___ Hatchling Probability Calculator X
Data-based Money Making Guide X
Chronological Update Reference X
Cannon Lore Compendium X
___
9clB2dm.png
ei6Xo3k.png
Hey cool! Your list of things you like is pretty on par with mine, though I am sure our taste/experience in specific types of games will differ some. What genres you like? Favorite games/Anime? I also like to do art, read occasionally, and am trying to homebrew my own world to one day DM a game in. I am not at all ready to try being a dm even with modules but I know one day I will be.

D&D IS LIFE

I am only in one game at the moment, Odyssey of the Dragonlords campaign. I am playing a Minotaur (Herculean)Barbarian/(Oath of Conquest)Paladin. She went head to head and kicked a god in the nether regions and survived among many other crazy barbarian moments. So loving it! All the art I have done recently is for that game. Drew the entire party and had so much fun doing it. I wish I could play more than just once a week but have not found a decent online group that can do midweek games. I get too anxious to even try DMing yet. This game im in now is the longest iv played in any tabletop rpg and we have just passed the one year mark.

I have many fond memories of the previous shorter lived games I have been in. My rock collecting Raptor/dude who thought dragon eggs were just shiny rocks for his collection in Exalted. My d&d 3.5 drow monk who took on a boss by himself and barely survived to tell the tale. My gunslinger human/not actually human from a star wars game nearly killing the party during the first mission with stupid ideas.

I am sad those games did not last long and will someday reinvent those characters and try again. Ill stop rambling about that and switch gears a moment.

@Bananyan

I too found it all very overwhelming. Especially since the first tabletop rgp i actually tried was Pathfinder and uhh that stuff got super confusing for me. I found 5e D&D way easier to create a character and play. Less things to calculate and keep track of overall. A lot of people suggested to me, in the beginning, to play a barbarian or fighter class first. That the hack and smash play helped you learn the mechanics as you play without the extra hassle of tracking spell slots, learned spells,components and the like.

Now that I am used to the usual roll to hit, roll damage, process I feel like I want to try a spellcaster to see what thats like. (Hence why my previously mentioned barbarian now has a level in paladin) Its getting me feet wet without jumping into the deep end with a wizard or sorcerer. Everyone is different though so if you really want to sling spells out the gate all the power to you!

There are several videos on youtube that also helped with comedy or easy breakdowns of mechanics to make it seem less a mountain and more a tall hill. Once you get going things get easier. Some more quicker than others, but you pick it up all the same. The great thing is you do not need to memorize every single little rule, spell, and trick. So do not fret over trying to study every single thing and memorize it. If you find yourself a good patient DM who does not mind walking you through the character creation process and the mechanics once you get in it can be way less stressful.

JoCat and Ginny Di are two youtubers who have helped me. If you are familiar with these tubers and their videos disregard the following.

JoCat's 'crap guides' are heavy with the comedy but still explain various classes, character sheets, and dms. All worth a good watch. Short too. Just dont take them too literally.

Ginny Di has alot of cosplay videos and others things on her channel but she also has plenty of videos discussing issues like "creating a voice" for your character, or how various parts of the game are played, and her 'NPC' videos she has been making are great. An NPC is asking your character questions, and you can pause the video and answer how your character might answer. To help flesh out the character a little and give them a bit of depth.

There are many others but those are the ones I usually keep track of most often. If you are having trouble finding a group to play with in person (for various, and one obvious recent reason) there are sites online where you can search and apply to join games. Roll20 is where I found my group and we use discord for voice chat but there are other options out there as well.

If none of this is helpful just remember this. If you do join a game and are not having fun speak to your dm. It could be their dm style, or perhaps group issues, or maybe there is too much combat and not enough other stuff you like. In many cases the DM might not be aware and simply letting them know can help you and them fix or adjust things. If that all fails its absolutely okay to leave. Don't force yourself to play with a group, or in a setting, that you arent enjoying. Seriously. Its a game. You should have fun.

Ill stop my late night rambling. I went overboard again. Sorry Y'all.
Hey cool! Your list of things you like is pretty on par with mine, though I am sure our taste/experience in specific types of games will differ some. What genres you like? Favorite games/Anime? I also like to do art, read occasionally, and am trying to homebrew my own world to one day DM a game in. I am not at all ready to try being a dm even with modules but I know one day I will be.

D&D IS LIFE

I am only in one game at the moment, Odyssey of the Dragonlords campaign. I am playing a Minotaur (Herculean)Barbarian/(Oath of Conquest)Paladin. She went head to head and kicked a god in the nether regions and survived among many other crazy barbarian moments. So loving it! All the art I have done recently is for that game. Drew the entire party and had so much fun doing it. I wish I could play more than just once a week but have not found a decent online group that can do midweek games. I get too anxious to even try DMing yet. This game im in now is the longest iv played in any tabletop rpg and we have just passed the one year mark.

I have many fond memories of the previous shorter lived games I have been in. My rock collecting Raptor/dude who thought dragon eggs were just shiny rocks for his collection in Exalted. My d&d 3.5 drow monk who took on a boss by himself and barely survived to tell the tale. My gunslinger human/not actually human from a star wars game nearly killing the party during the first mission with stupid ideas.

I am sad those games did not last long and will someday reinvent those characters and try again. Ill stop rambling about that and switch gears a moment.

@Bananyan

I too found it all very overwhelming. Especially since the first tabletop rgp i actually tried was Pathfinder and uhh that stuff got super confusing for me. I found 5e D&D way easier to create a character and play. Less things to calculate and keep track of overall. A lot of people suggested to me, in the beginning, to play a barbarian or fighter class first. That the hack and smash play helped you learn the mechanics as you play without the extra hassle of tracking spell slots, learned spells,components and the like.

Now that I am used to the usual roll to hit, roll damage, process I feel like I want to try a spellcaster to see what thats like. (Hence why my previously mentioned barbarian now has a level in paladin) Its getting me feet wet without jumping into the deep end with a wizard or sorcerer. Everyone is different though so if you really want to sling spells out the gate all the power to you!

There are several videos on youtube that also helped with comedy or easy breakdowns of mechanics to make it seem less a mountain and more a tall hill. Once you get going things get easier. Some more quicker than others, but you pick it up all the same. The great thing is you do not need to memorize every single little rule, spell, and trick. So do not fret over trying to study every single thing and memorize it. If you find yourself a good patient DM who does not mind walking you through the character creation process and the mechanics once you get in it can be way less stressful.

JoCat and Ginny Di are two youtubers who have helped me. If you are familiar with these tubers and their videos disregard the following.

JoCat's 'crap guides' are heavy with the comedy but still explain various classes, character sheets, and dms. All worth a good watch. Short too. Just dont take them too literally.

Ginny Di has alot of cosplay videos and others things on her channel but she also has plenty of videos discussing issues like "creating a voice" for your character, or how various parts of the game are played, and her 'NPC' videos she has been making are great. An NPC is asking your character questions, and you can pause the video and answer how your character might answer. To help flesh out the character a little and give them a bit of depth.

There are many others but those are the ones I usually keep track of most often. If you are having trouble finding a group to play with in person (for various, and one obvious recent reason) there are sites online where you can search and apply to join games. Roll20 is where I found my group and we use discord for voice chat but there are other options out there as well.

If none of this is helpful just remember this. If you do join a game and are not having fun speak to your dm. It could be their dm style, or perhaps group issues, or maybe there is too much combat and not enough other stuff you like. In many cases the DM might not be aware and simply letting them know can help you and them fix or adjust things. If that all fails its absolutely okay to leave. Don't force yourself to play with a group, or in a setting, that you arent enjoying. Seriously. Its a game. You should have fun.

Ill stop my late night rambling. I went overboard again. Sorry Y'all.