Back

Help Center

Ask questions and help others in this forum.
TOPIC | Confused about what's allowed (skins)
I'm confused because the rules said you can't alter the "essence" or basic lineart of FR dragons with skins. It *advises* against using skins as a way to draw things like clothing on your dragons. It also says that skins have to look like FR style art.

But I've seen several skins that alter the lineart AND completely wipe out all remaining semblance of a dragon. xD Like, skins that turn your dragon into a cat or a fish, or a fox. And I have some skins that add full blown clothes and armor.

I've been so tripped out lately by some of the avatars I'm seeing around the forum. Smiling cat faces, fox faces, humanoid woman faces... And there's one skin on the AH in particular that turns your Imperial into a Kite. That one definitely gets rid of the dragon-y elements AND uses new lineart.
I'm confused because the rules said you can't alter the "essence" or basic lineart of FR dragons with skins. It *advises* against using skins as a way to draw things like clothing on your dragons. It also says that skins have to look like FR style art.

But I've seen several skins that alter the lineart AND completely wipe out all remaining semblance of a dragon. xD Like, skins that turn your dragon into a cat or a fish, or a fox. And I have some skins that add full blown clothes and armor.

I've been so tripped out lately by some of the avatars I'm seeing around the forum. Smiling cat faces, fox faces, humanoid woman faces... And there's one skin on the AH in particular that turns your Imperial into a Kite. That one definitely gets rid of the dragon-y elements AND uses new lineart.
@Was as far as i know there is no rules about sticking to flight rising style or mimicking clothes. at least i could not find any in the rules. are you perhaps confusing flight rising's rules with some other pet site? i know some can be very strict about style and adding clothing with skin type items.

also none of the skins alter the original lineart, they only make it as unnoticeable as possible while making the "new" lineart more obvious.
@Was as far as i know there is no rules about sticking to flight rising style or mimicking clothes. at least i could not find any in the rules. are you perhaps confusing flight rising's rules with some other pet site? i know some can be very strict about style and adding clothing with skin type items.

also none of the skins alter the original lineart, they only make it as unnoticeable as possible while making the "new" lineart more obvious.
horizontal banner that has blue space background, The Arcanist who glows pink, and light pink text that says Thanks Arcanist
Ledi | finland | 10+ fr time | adult | artist & game dev
identity button signifying that user identifies as gayidentity button signifying that user is transgender and uses he pronounsidentity button that signifies that user is autisticidentity button that signifies that user has adhd
@Was It comes down to "Does this violate copyright for someone else's intellectual property" and "Does it still show our intellectual property." Take this guy and his skin: [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/29568307][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/295684/29568307_350.png[/img][/url] All the lineart is intact and it does not use anyone else's intellectual property. I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that skins should not be used to create apparel. The [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/wiki/skins/1]Rules[/url] mention apparel only to inform you that it will always layer over the skin/accent in question. edit: ninja'd!
@Was

It comes down to "Does this violate copyright for someone else's intellectual property" and "Does it still show our intellectual property."

Take this guy and his skin:

29568307_350.png

All the lineart is intact and it does not use anyone else's intellectual property.

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that skins should not be used to create apparel. The Rules mention apparel only to inform you that it will always layer over the skin/accent in question.

edit: ninja'd!
I want to live in Theory. Everything works there.

Have you checked the Gem MP for Gene and Breed scrolls before buying an AH listing from me ending in 5g?
@Ralzakark i'M SLOWLY LOSING MY MIND ahhhh. Just spent the last 15 minutes scrutinizing the rules trying to find the parts where I read that, but... yeah it may have been another pet site. @.@ Or a dream maybe?

@Nightwind Ooh, that's exactly what I'm talking about! LOL, well good to know then. xD I'm surprised I haven't seen even weirder customs if that's allowed. You can probably get pretty creative!

But did I read right somewhere that there's no photorealistic textures allowed? Like no photography?
@Ralzakark i'M SLOWLY LOSING MY MIND ahhhh. Just spent the last 15 minutes scrutinizing the rules trying to find the parts where I read that, but... yeah it may have been another pet site. @.@ Or a dream maybe?

@Nightwind Ooh, that's exactly what I'm talking about! LOL, well good to know then. xD I'm surprised I haven't seen even weirder customs if that's allowed. You can probably get pretty creative!

But did I read right somewhere that there's no photorealistic textures allowed? Like no photography?
@Was

Yes, nothing that's potentially anyone's intellectual property or in that case, actual property. While a little bit of texturing is allowed FR wants the artwork primarily drawn by the artist and not created by a program.

For instance making a skin that looks like your cat is okay but a picture of your cat shrunk down to fit on your dragon? Not okay.

Depending on how many sites you're on there's a ton of rules out there. I'm on 4 that all allow some form of player artwork and other than "don't use other people's IP" the rules are all over the place.
@Was

Yes, nothing that's potentially anyone's intellectual property or in that case, actual property. While a little bit of texturing is allowed FR wants the artwork primarily drawn by the artist and not created by a program.

For instance making a skin that looks like your cat is okay but a picture of your cat shrunk down to fit on your dragon? Not okay.

Depending on how many sites you're on there's a ton of rules out there. I'm on 4 that all allow some form of player artwork and other than "don't use other people's IP" the rules are all over the place.
I want to live in Theory. Everything works there.

Have you checked the Gem MP for Gene and Breed scrolls before buying an AH listing from me ending in 5g?
If you want to take a fun trip into the "FR skin iceberg" i recommend scrolling through Autopilot's skin sales hub. It's wild
If you want to take a fun trip into the "FR skin iceberg" i recommend scrolling through Autopilot's skin sales hub. It's wild
2.gif