Back

Help Center

Ask questions and help others in this forum.
TOPIC | Questions regarding Lore
I think I have a vague idea of lore and I’d like to get into it, but I don’t fully understand it. To start I’ll list some questions that come to mind
Forgive my stupid questions as I’ve also just started playing today

-What’s the basis of this pinkerton thing and who is Pinkerton?
-How is selling lore possible? Isn’t it a story you create for your own dragons and add to? Is selling lore a long term thing with the clientele?
-Are there any specific guidelines or things that are typically done?
-Does it involve coding? I don’t understand how it would but it sound like it does

I appreciate any answers and anything else you have to add!
I think I have a vague idea of lore and I’d like to get into it, but I don’t fully understand it. To start I’ll list some questions that come to mind
Forgive my stupid questions as I’ve also just started playing today

-What’s the basis of this pinkerton thing and who is Pinkerton?
-How is selling lore possible? Isn’t it a story you create for your own dragons and add to? Is selling lore a long term thing with the clientele?
-Are there any specific guidelines or things that are typically done?
-Does it involve coding? I don’t understand how it would but it sound like it does

I appreciate any answers and anything else you have to add!
@Ryebread7 As someone who definitely keeps coming back for the story, both site and on her own dragons, I'll try to answer some of these.

Pinkerton is a Trading Post NPC who gives out one item a day. Crim, the NPC who buys items is his hoarder sister, and Pinkerton has taken stuff from Crim's hoard and is giving it away without her knowing. He's an excellent source for Berserker and Scholar accessory stones for the Coliseum usually, he gives them out pretty frequently in my experience.

Selling lore is possible because not everybody wants to or can write their own stories. It's not as much a thing as selling art because writing is/feels more accessible than drawing. Much as it confuses me that there's people who don't have other people in their head that they have to get out on paper or computer document. :)

The only real guidelines is FR's site terms and guidelines about content, beyond that it's up to you. Some people follow very closely to official site lore in their writing and others ignore it completely. There's a broad range in between those two. Search "Lore" in the forums and you should be able to find a few of the 'TV Tropes' like threads where people cheerfully gather and gently mock the frequent things in a lot of people's lore.

It can, there's a lot of fancy templates out there that people use, but the limit of my coding is centering a dragon's name and occupation and maybe putting site-specific code for items that are important to the dragon to have the picture display.

Feel free to look around my lair, a lot of my dragons have some lore because I can't not write. :) And check your Crossroads, sent some munchies for your progenitors.
@Ryebread7 As someone who definitely keeps coming back for the story, both site and on her own dragons, I'll try to answer some of these.

Pinkerton is a Trading Post NPC who gives out one item a day. Crim, the NPC who buys items is his hoarder sister, and Pinkerton has taken stuff from Crim's hoard and is giving it away without her knowing. He's an excellent source for Berserker and Scholar accessory stones for the Coliseum usually, he gives them out pretty frequently in my experience.

Selling lore is possible because not everybody wants to or can write their own stories. It's not as much a thing as selling art because writing is/feels more accessible than drawing. Much as it confuses me that there's people who don't have other people in their head that they have to get out on paper or computer document. :)

The only real guidelines is FR's site terms and guidelines about content, beyond that it's up to you. Some people follow very closely to official site lore in their writing and others ignore it completely. There's a broad range in between those two. Search "Lore" in the forums and you should be able to find a few of the 'TV Tropes' like threads where people cheerfully gather and gently mock the frequent things in a lot of people's lore.

It can, there's a lot of fancy templates out there that people use, but the limit of my coding is centering a dragon's name and occupation and maybe putting site-specific code for items that are important to the dragon to have the picture display.

Feel free to look around my lair, a lot of my dragons have some lore because I can't not write. :) And check your Crossroads, sent some munchies for your progenitors.
Nest Rentals! I offer Fire nests here at 2kt a pair, no lunch boxes needed. Warning that I am a 12-hr shift night worker and might miss a day on incubation here and there. :(
Feel free to ping me anywhere! I try to subscribe to threads I create, but pings are always cool.
@Ryebread7

Since you are talking of personal lore, do you perhaps mean Pinkerlocke?

Pinkerlocke is a "death match" type of Coli/writing challenge based on Pokemon Nuzlocke challenge with dailies based on what Pinkerton gives you that day. The above link has the base rule set, but outside the basics everyone usually tailors the rules for their needs and setting ^ ^

Just to clear things a bit, just in case - "lore" in general on FR can mean canon lore (official worldbuilding and stories), or personal lore (often called lair lore, includes everything you write for your lair, from dragon histories to worldbuilding), or both
@Ryebread7

Since you are talking of personal lore, do you perhaps mean Pinkerlocke?

Pinkerlocke is a "death match" type of Coli/writing challenge based on Pokemon Nuzlocke challenge with dailies based on what Pinkerton gives you that day. The above link has the base rule set, but outside the basics everyone usually tailors the rules for their needs and setting ^ ^

Just to clear things a bit, just in case - "lore" in general on FR can mean canon lore (official worldbuilding and stories), or personal lore (often called lair lore, includes everything you write for your lair, from dragon histories to worldbuilding), or both
hWsjkHE.png
@mariwen Thank you so much! For all the information and munchies!
And thank you @Elaendorlien for the clarification. Pinckerlocke it what I meant.
All of this is very helpful and interesting! I’ll definitely be playing around with lore
@mariwen Thank you so much! For all the information and munchies!
And thank you @Elaendorlien for the clarification. Pinckerlocke it what I meant.
All of this is very helpful and interesting! I’ll definitely be playing around with lore
@Ryebread7

Another thing to keep in mind is that when writing personal lore for your clan and for your dragons you don't necessarily have to follow all of fr's canon lore, you can exclude what doesn't work, add things and stuff to make your lore and your clan unique. For example personally I've created some lore for my clan surrounding familiar relationships and how they communicate with dragons, and also I like some others don't follow canon fr dragon sizes. Also your lore doesn't have to relate to your clan's element, I know some people have their clans on borders in their lore so they have multi element clans, some people even have multiple clans in their lore. It's entirely up to what to do with your lore and with your clan.
@Ryebread7

Another thing to keep in mind is that when writing personal lore for your clan and for your dragons you don't necessarily have to follow all of fr's canon lore, you can exclude what doesn't work, add things and stuff to make your lore and your clan unique. For example personally I've created some lore for my clan surrounding familiar relationships and how they communicate with dragons, and also I like some others don't follow canon fr dragon sizes. Also your lore doesn't have to relate to your clan's element, I know some people have their clans on borders in their lore so they have multi element clans, some people even have multiple clans in their lore. It's entirely up to what to do with your lore and with your clan.