Back

Help Center

Ask questions and help others in this forum.
TOPIC | AH/sales advice?
1 2
howdy!!! im a fairly new user,, i joined a few weeks ago,,, and i think ive gotten a solid handle on the art side of fr (that's where ive gotten all my Cash Money for 90 dragons in 3 weeks haha) but i still feel like i dont know everything i should. i spent a lot of last night reading up on the general debates and stuff like unnamed exalting.etc.etc but that's not exactly what im looking for. i did learn that coli levels makes a dragon more profitable to exalt, though! ok so long story short im looking for market advice. what do people like in dragons??? i heard about 'fodder prices' and apparently the price i've been selling my babies at is that which makes people use them for exalting,,, which is probably why not many people keep my babs other than friends. (not salty! just wanna know fair pricing for forever homes and what yall wanna keep in a forever home). i bought most of my dragons at fodder price so i'm not sure what people want as i think they're beautiful lol i know xxys or xxxs are a thing, and i think obsidian is really popular, but i have the strange feeling an xxx swamp wouldnt go for as much as an obsi so i wanted to know what colours people prefer! also are there genes that sell a lot? what's a double- is it twins or xxys?? any breeds people like? (other than banes obv) whats the lowest price for non-fodder dragons, is there a set price?? what would this lad be worth in your opinion? [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=58894551] [img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/350/588946/58894551_350.png[/img] [/url] (usually i give away free to any friends or advertise them on the ice discord! not many people want them, even free, so im worried im breeding ugly kids :[ ) sorry for the vaguely rambly post and many, many questions, just a curious noob with not much of a grasp on the community outside of art looking for advice! edit: ive done a ton of googling but a lot of threads are outdated so i felt going right to the present community would be best!
howdy!!! im a fairly new user,, i joined a few weeks ago,,, and i think ive gotten a solid handle on the art side of fr (that's where ive gotten all my Cash Money for 90 dragons in 3 weeks haha)

but i still feel like i dont know everything i should. i spent a lot of last night reading up on the general debates and stuff like unnamed exalting.etc.etc but that's not exactly what im looking for. i did learn that coli levels makes a dragon more profitable to exalt, though!

ok so long story short im looking for market advice. what do people like in dragons??? i heard about 'fodder prices' and apparently the price i've been selling my babies at is that which makes people use them for exalting,,, which is probably why not many people keep my babs other than friends. (not salty! just wanna know fair pricing for forever homes and what yall wanna keep in a forever home). i bought most of my dragons at fodder price so i'm not sure what people want as i think they're beautiful lol

i know xxys or xxxs are a thing, and i think obsidian is really popular, but i have the strange feeling an xxx swamp wouldnt go for as much as an obsi so i wanted to know what colours people prefer!

also are there genes that sell a lot? what's a double- is it twins or xxys?? any breeds people like? (other than banes obv)

whats the lowest price for non-fodder dragons, is there a set price?? what would this lad be worth in your opinion?

58894551_350.png
(usually i give away free to any friends or advertise them on the ice discord! not many people want them, even free, so im worried im breeding ugly kids :[ )

sorry for the vaguely rambly post and many, many questions, just a curious noob with not much of a grasp on the community outside of art looking for advice!

edit: ive done a ton of googling but a lot of threads are outdated so i felt going right to the present community would be best!
gull • she/her
16 • libra
lesbian • FR+3
• art shop •
• bane adopts •
F552-A8-D6-534-F-40-D1-9639-1-A6-CB9-E9194-D.png
@feedingseagulls I'm going to be a bit of a downer here, but I'm offering my honest
(if inaccurate, sometimes,) opinion.

At this point in time, the market is so oversaturated with pretty dragons that, to me personally, any dragon without any special characteristics (g1, special eyes, etc) is essentially fodder. I know a lot of people who start hatcheries often feel discouraged; demand is too low in relation to the supply, or amount of dragons, that exist on the market. If I pick up a double or triple dragon, I'll still exalt it because there are probably similar dragons, if not ones with the exact same colors and genes (take the xxy obsidian imperials with opal as a tertiary, for example. There are currently 307 of them on the auction house despite them being pretty doubles). Of course, there are plenty of people who like to buy nice-looking dragons, but it's hard to stand out from the competition as a seller because there are just so, so many dragons and sellers that nothing is really that unique anymore IMO.

Selling fodder isn't a bad way to go about it, though. I personally hatch my own fodder and buy a lot of hatchlings, throw them in the hibden, and level and exalt. That's really the only thing I do for money that deals with dragons. I've tried a hatchery before and failed miserably.

I haven't been on this site for too long but that's just what I've noticed. Let me know if you have any questions!
@feedingseagulls I'm going to be a bit of a downer here, but I'm offering my honest
(if inaccurate, sometimes,) opinion.

At this point in time, the market is so oversaturated with pretty dragons that, to me personally, any dragon without any special characteristics (g1, special eyes, etc) is essentially fodder. I know a lot of people who start hatcheries often feel discouraged; demand is too low in relation to the supply, or amount of dragons, that exist on the market. If I pick up a double or triple dragon, I'll still exalt it because there are probably similar dragons, if not ones with the exact same colors and genes (take the xxy obsidian imperials with opal as a tertiary, for example. There are currently 307 of them on the auction house despite them being pretty doubles). Of course, there are plenty of people who like to buy nice-looking dragons, but it's hard to stand out from the competition as a seller because there are just so, so many dragons and sellers that nothing is really that unique anymore IMO.

Selling fodder isn't a bad way to go about it, though. I personally hatch my own fodder and buy a lot of hatchlings, throw them in the hibden, and level and exalt. That's really the only thing I do for money that deals with dragons. I've tried a hatchery before and failed miserably.

I haven't been on this site for too long but that's just what I've noticed. Let me know if you have any questions!
•*~* g1s for sale *~*•
Red Maple Leaf Copper Ore Red Maple Leaf
Generally, unless there's a dom battle going on, dragons over 10kt/g are more safe from being purchased as immediate fodder.

Also generally, don't expect to make money breeding dragons. Most of the dragons people like get overbred pretty quickly. Constantly trying to stay ahead of whatever fad's currently going on is expensive and exhausting and will not net you more money in sales than you spend setting up your breeding pairs much of the time.

The problem isn't that you're breeding ugly dragons. It's that there are many, many people breeding pretty dragons and lair space is a very limited resource.

You're often better off breeding what you like, selling what you can, and making most of your money doing something else.
Generally, unless there's a dom battle going on, dragons over 10kt/g are more safe from being purchased as immediate fodder.

Also generally, don't expect to make money breeding dragons. Most of the dragons people like get overbred pretty quickly. Constantly trying to stay ahead of whatever fad's currently going on is expensive and exhausting and will not net you more money in sales than you spend setting up your breeding pairs much of the time.

The problem isn't that you're breeding ugly dragons. It's that there are many, many people breeding pretty dragons and lair space is a very limited resource.

You're often better off breeding what you like, selling what you can, and making most of your money doing something else.
Help I'm trapped in a signature!
@LordJeanliness @lavendersoap

ty guys!!! it does seem like a very quickly changing market, im actually starting to lean into just making a 'free to a good home' thread somewhere and just not selling my hatchlings. worst case scenario, if they aren't claimed in a week, ill name and sell them for 4k to whoever's exalting!

again, tysm for the input, no worries about being a downer im looking for info and that's exactly what i got, ty!! :DD
@LordJeanliness @lavendersoap

ty guys!!! it does seem like a very quickly changing market, im actually starting to lean into just making a 'free to a good home' thread somewhere and just not selling my hatchlings. worst case scenario, if they aren't claimed in a week, ill name and sell them for 4k to whoever's exalting!

again, tysm for the input, no worries about being a downer im looking for info and that's exactly what i got, ty!! :DD
gull • she/her
16 • libra
lesbian • FR+3
• art shop •
• bane adopts •
I sell my hatchies for 15kt and they generally end up pretty safe, if they sell. That doesn't mean that they're never exalted, but they generally have a home for a while at least. As others have said, the dragon market is not a great market for sellers. There are so many people creating dragons that it tends to be a race to the bottom, price wise.

You're right in assuming that doubles/triples tend to sell better! It's in no way a guarantee, but from what I've seen doubles of popular colors like obsidian, sanguine, orca, etc. are a good choice. Pair them with popular genes like starmap, constellation, bee, etc for an even better chance of them selling.

I wouldn't make any huge investments on breeding pairs to start, I would grab some cheap dragons with nice offspring combos and start to figure out the market from there. Remember that even if your dragons don't sell, you can exalt them yourself and make money (or sell them for fodder price).
I sell my hatchies for 15kt and they generally end up pretty safe, if they sell. That doesn't mean that they're never exalted, but they generally have a home for a while at least. As others have said, the dragon market is not a great market for sellers. There are so many people creating dragons that it tends to be a race to the bottom, price wise.

You're right in assuming that doubles/triples tend to sell better! It's in no way a guarantee, but from what I've seen doubles of popular colors like obsidian, sanguine, orca, etc. are a good choice. Pair them with popular genes like starmap, constellation, bee, etc for an even better chance of them selling.

I wouldn't make any huge investments on breeding pairs to start, I would grab some cheap dragons with nice offspring combos and start to figure out the market from there. Remember that even if your dragons don't sell, you can exalt them yourself and make money (or sell them for fodder price).
td9UiZS.png
@feedingseagulls Selling for 4K may be doing yourself a disservice, especially if the dragon is an adult. You asked if there was a minimum price for fodder dragons, and the answer is yes and no. What people refer to as the "fodder floor" is just the lowest price currently in the market, but finding it is easy--just go to the AH, select the dragons tab, select hatchling/adult, depending on which you're looking to sell, then select type of currency just because there will be a LOT of dragons for sale. Then hit search. If you want yours to show up as the lowest priced dragon, just list for slightly less than the lowest price you see. You'll want to check that every time you sell--it may stay relatively the same for weeks, but the moment two flights start vying for conquest, prices start going through the roof.

Good luck with your selling, and welcome to FR!
@feedingseagulls Selling for 4K may be doing yourself a disservice, especially if the dragon is an adult. You asked if there was a minimum price for fodder dragons, and the answer is yes and no. What people refer to as the "fodder floor" is just the lowest price currently in the market, but finding it is easy--just go to the AH, select the dragons tab, select hatchling/adult, depending on which you're looking to sell, then select type of currency just because there will be a LOT of dragons for sale. Then hit search. If you want yours to show up as the lowest priced dragon, just list for slightly less than the lowest price you see. You'll want to check that every time you sell--it may stay relatively the same for weeks, but the moment two flights start vying for conquest, prices start going through the roof.

Good luck with your selling, and welcome to FR!
9o5YF7O.png
ty guys again!!!
ty guys again!!!
gull • she/her
16 • libra
lesbian • FR+3
• art shop •
• bane adopts •
@feedingseagulls Looks like you got some good answers. I've moved this to the Help forum so that it might be useful for others. Cheers!
@feedingseagulls Looks like you got some good answers. I've moved this to the Help forum so that it might be useful for others. Cheers!
jeGlfdJ.gif__ Volunteer Moderator: If you have any questions, concerns, or feedback regarding moderation please feel free to use the Contact Us form. These submissions are viewed solely by the Flight Rising team, not the volunteer moderator group. (+0 FR Time)

I wish I could tell you the magic formula that makes a dragon pair profitable but it varies wildly from person to person. I have pairs of dragons that I bought for crazy (to me) amount of gems but whose offspring I can't give away. I have a pair that were cheap to buy and always sells an offspring or two when I breed them. What I find beautiful, others find ugly or desirable.

I sell my dragons' offspring for usually 9000 treasure to 25000 treasure. That seems to be the window(ish) that people won't buy a dragon for fodder, but will still buy a dragon. I will sell rarer offspring for more, but be prepared to have them around for a while.

Some people will only buy unbred dragons because they don't like the look of an offspring list, want it the offspring named certain ways for lore reasons, or because of funky named or unnamed offspring. I go looking for them as those things don't matter to me (I live a rich history). Some love G1s (dragons that have been hatched from eggs and have no parents listed), some don't.

Some people have lair aesthetics and will not buy a dragon that doesn't fit it. Some love colors I hate and vice versa. Some people love XXXs, some find them boring. Dragon selling is a crazy world.

The best way to sell dragons is on the dragon selling forum. A lot of people make "hatcheries" which are posts in which they sell their dragons. Running a hatchery takes a lot of work and time to make and maintain. Posts need to be bumped constantly and I mean constantly or they will be bumped off the first page and few people look past the first page. I would read several guides before making one.

Keep the dragons that make you happy, sell or raise the offspring for money. Just have fun with it! I love my beautiful and colorful dragons. They make me happy to look at (which is why I have so many) and I find breeding a lot of fun to do! Just keep in mind that if you sell offspring unnamed, then you will get a lot of unnamed and oddly named offspring in your offspring lists.

One last thing. How much you sell a dragon for won't protect it from being exaulted. I've sold expensive offspring that have been breed changed, given gem genes and glowing eyes and such, and then exaulted. I've sold 9000 treasure dragons that are much beloved in their new homes. It really does seem random.

I wish I could tell you the magic formula that makes a dragon pair profitable but it varies wildly from person to person. I have pairs of dragons that I bought for crazy (to me) amount of gems but whose offspring I can't give away. I have a pair that were cheap to buy and always sells an offspring or two when I breed them. What I find beautiful, others find ugly or desirable.

I sell my dragons' offspring for usually 9000 treasure to 25000 treasure. That seems to be the window(ish) that people won't buy a dragon for fodder, but will still buy a dragon. I will sell rarer offspring for more, but be prepared to have them around for a while.

Some people will only buy unbred dragons because they don't like the look of an offspring list, want it the offspring named certain ways for lore reasons, or because of funky named or unnamed offspring. I go looking for them as those things don't matter to me (I live a rich history). Some love G1s (dragons that have been hatched from eggs and have no parents listed), some don't.

Some people have lair aesthetics and will not buy a dragon that doesn't fit it. Some love colors I hate and vice versa. Some people love XXXs, some find them boring. Dragon selling is a crazy world.

The best way to sell dragons is on the dragon selling forum. A lot of people make "hatcheries" which are posts in which they sell their dragons. Running a hatchery takes a lot of work and time to make and maintain. Posts need to be bumped constantly and I mean constantly or they will be bumped off the first page and few people look past the first page. I would read several guides before making one.

Keep the dragons that make you happy, sell or raise the offspring for money. Just have fun with it! I love my beautiful and colorful dragons. They make me happy to look at (which is why I have so many) and I find breeding a lot of fun to do! Just keep in mind that if you sell offspring unnamed, then you will get a lot of unnamed and oddly named offspring in your offspring lists.

One last thing. How much you sell a dragon for won't protect it from being exaulted. I've sold expensive offspring that have been breed changed, given gem genes and glowing eyes and such, and then exaulted. I've sold 9000 treasure dragons that are much beloved in their new homes. It really does seem random.

"You don't need a reason to help someone "
~Zidane Tribal
@Susinko very true! considering my own experience with finding ones i like (being the very specific ‘only ice dragons with phthalo, orca, gloom, dust, obsidian or midnight primaries’ anywhere from 4000t to 300g it should have been more obvious it varies quite widely from user to user. thank you!!! i may look into hatcheries, as they seem somewhat interesting, but def time consuming :00
@Susinko very true! considering my own experience with finding ones i like (being the very specific ‘only ice dragons with phthalo, orca, gloom, dust, obsidian or midnight primaries’ anywhere from 4000t to 300g it should have been more obvious it varies quite widely from user to user. thank you!!! i may look into hatcheries, as they seem somewhat interesting, but def time consuming :00
gull • she/her
16 • libra
lesbian • FR+3
• art shop •
• bane adopts •
1 2