Back

Help Center

Ask questions and help others in this forum.
TOPIC | Making Skins / Accents On An iPad?
Is making skins / accents possible on an iPad? I can't seem to download the files. And how do I open them?? Is this even possible???

Also, I did mange to get the Coatl male file open on my chromebook (Too bad I can't draw on that without it crashing), why is the shading 100% opacity and white-ish? That's not how it's supposed to be... I think...
Is making skins / accents possible on an iPad? I can't seem to download the files. And how do I open them?? Is this even possible???

Also, I did mange to get the Coatl male file open on my chromebook (Too bad I can't draw on that without it crashing), why is the shading 100% opacity and white-ish? That's not how it's supposed to be... I think...
77696944_QykUN2hTzlQMCkD.png
@LittleMoons I’ve tried to make skins on mobile, but haven’t succeeded. If it is possible though, the program you’re using will have to have a multiply layer option, and layers. The shading is likely off-color because the program you use doesn’t have a multiply tool, which makes shading go over a design without making it go to flat color.

@LittleMoons I’ve tried to make skins on mobile, but haven’t succeeded. If it is possible though, the program you’re using will have to have a multiply layer option, and layers. The shading is likely off-color because the program you use doesn’t have a multiply tool, which makes shading go over a design without making it go to flat color.

BhWDcLm.png
I think it's possible, but very difficult and not something you can do completely without a laptop. Exactly how difficult it is will depend on what app you will be using and if you've got friends with a laptop/desktop that are willing to do things for you.. I almost exclusively use an iPad so I feel your pain ;w;

First, you can't get the files from your iPad because it's a zip and the default safari app does not open it or give you the option to send it anywhere in order to open it.
Second, what did you use to open the file on your chromebook? It sounds like you're not using a program that opens layers like it should.
Third, do you know what app you plan on using? Have you explored any apps? The absolute minimum you will need is the ability to use layers and the ability to keep a transparent background when you open a file and when you save a file.

~The Process~
You will need to get the file open on a desktop/laptop in order to open the zip, get the psd, and then change it to a png. This will remove all layers, though, which creates additional work and can make it kinda weird to work with since you won't see how the shading affects your skin/accent (you could also just grab the base gray layer with no shading and junk on it). Save it somewhere so you can grab it from your iPad, preferably using an internet app that will ask you where you want to send your about-to-be-downloaded file and actually lists the app you will be drawing in. Open that. You'll want to draw on a different layer. The reason you made the png and just drew outside of the lines on a layer on top of it anyway is so you can use the png to select with the magic wand tool and cut off what is outside of the lines of the base png. (or if you got an app that can lock layers and use clipping groups, use them)((or, have a friend with a laptop/desktop do the cut for you or just use the clipping setting on the entire layer, shrugs, u've got options, but you still will need an image that fits a dragon and has a transparent background)) And then delete the png and save the file as a png. As long as the file is transparent, you (or ur friend) can just paste that image as the layer that your accent/skin is supposed to be, and you will need to save the psd and submit that. Shrugs, that should do it? idk, I have a laptop that I can use to draw so I haven't been as limited in my options.
I think it's possible, but very difficult and not something you can do completely without a laptop. Exactly how difficult it is will depend on what app you will be using and if you've got friends with a laptop/desktop that are willing to do things for you.. I almost exclusively use an iPad so I feel your pain ;w;

First, you can't get the files from your iPad because it's a zip and the default safari app does not open it or give you the option to send it anywhere in order to open it.
Second, what did you use to open the file on your chromebook? It sounds like you're not using a program that opens layers like it should.
Third, do you know what app you plan on using? Have you explored any apps? The absolute minimum you will need is the ability to use layers and the ability to keep a transparent background when you open a file and when you save a file.

~The Process~
You will need to get the file open on a desktop/laptop in order to open the zip, get the psd, and then change it to a png. This will remove all layers, though, which creates additional work and can make it kinda weird to work with since you won't see how the shading affects your skin/accent (you could also just grab the base gray layer with no shading and junk on it). Save it somewhere so you can grab it from your iPad, preferably using an internet app that will ask you where you want to send your about-to-be-downloaded file and actually lists the app you will be drawing in. Open that. You'll want to draw on a different layer. The reason you made the png and just drew outside of the lines on a layer on top of it anyway is so you can use the png to select with the magic wand tool and cut off what is outside of the lines of the base png. (or if you got an app that can lock layers and use clipping groups, use them)((or, have a friend with a laptop/desktop do the cut for you or just use the clipping setting on the entire layer, shrugs, u've got options, but you still will need an image that fits a dragon and has a transparent background)) And then delete the png and save the file as a png. As long as the file is transparent, you (or ur friend) can just paste that image as the layer that your accent/skin is supposed to be, and you will need to save the psd and submit that. Shrugs, that should do it? idk, I have a laptop that I can use to draw so I haven't been as limited in my options.
@cuestaff
Thank you! That's really helpful.

I think the shading problem occured because I used Piskel to open the files, which wasn't one of the recommended sites. That part should be an easy fix.

Thanks for explaining how to get the images onto the iPad! The drawing program I normally use on the iPad should work to draw because it has layers and a 'select opacity' tool that should let me crop out anything outside of the base dragon art. :)

Edit: None of the suggested programs will run on a chromebook, does anyone have any suggestions?
@cuestaff
Thank you! That's really helpful.

I think the shading problem occured because I used Piskel to open the files, which wasn't one of the recommended sites. That part should be an easy fix.

Thanks for explaining how to get the images onto the iPad! The drawing program I normally use on the iPad should work to draw because it has layers and a 'select opacity' tool that should let me crop out anything outside of the base dragon art. :)

Edit: None of the suggested programs will run on a chromebook, does anyone have any suggestions?
77696944_QykUN2hTzlQMCkD.png
@LittleMoons I don't have a chromebook so everything I'm going to mention was junk I found on google!

Can your chromebook run the androin app store? FireAlpaca should be there or in the chrome web store. Or check for Sumo Paint, it seems to have layers. And deviantart seems to have a thing called muro? I think it'll run in browser, but I'm not sure if you can upload an image to draw on? Or if it'll open psds.......

If none of those work, I think your best option right now is to explore the stores available to your chromebook, make a different thread on fr asking specifically for chromebook art programs, or try to find results on google!!
@LittleMoons I don't have a chromebook so everything I'm going to mention was junk I found on google!

Can your chromebook run the androin app store? FireAlpaca should be there or in the chrome web store. Or check for Sumo Paint, it seems to have layers. And deviantart seems to have a thing called muro? I think it'll run in browser, but I'm not sure if you can upload an image to draw on? Or if it'll open psds.......

If none of those work, I think your best option right now is to explore the stores available to your chromebook, make a different thread on fr asking specifically for chromebook art programs, or try to find results on google!!