Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Fanfic Writing
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
[quote name="@RtoRestart" date="2022-11-26 06:14:22" ] Meee! I feel embarrassed sharing mine though so I tend to keep them to myself T.T Not that I really write them anyway, I tend to just have ideas rotate in my mind like a rotisserie chicken... Unfortunately my current main fandom doesn't have too much of an art/fanfiction community (from what I've seen), so that's a shame. I've been wanting to get back into reading them but I get super embarrassed about looking it up so I just... never do it. :c [/quote] Hey no need to be embarrassed!! Rotating ideas is fun too lol but hey, there's a lot of people out here doing this and I promise there's nothing to be ashamed of :)
@RtoRestart wrote on 2022-11-26 06:14:22:
Meee! I feel embarrassed sharing mine though so I tend to keep them to myself T.T Not that I really write them anyway, I tend to just have ideas rotate in my mind like a rotisserie chicken...

Unfortunately my current main fandom doesn't have too much of an art/fanfiction community (from what I've seen), so that's a shame. I've been wanting to get back into reading them but I get super embarrassed about looking it up so I just... never do it. :c
Hey no need to be embarrassed!! Rotating ideas is fun too lol but hey, there's a lot of people out here doing this and I promise there's nothing to be ashamed of :)
Spr_B2W2_Emmet.png
Sym4.png
"There is no terminal called End in your life!"
Sym6.png Blue // they/he Sym5.png

Sym5.png Goals and Link DirectorySym6.png
Sym3.png
Spr_B2W2_Ingo.png
I only recently got into writing and fanfic, all out of spite because I realized perhaps a little belatedly that the canon WoW storyline was not going where I wanted/thought it should, so I straight up made an AU where an entire expansion never happened, just so all my OCs can exist safe from Blizzard's bs lmao and I've been slowly chugging along ever since. As of writing this I only have three 2-3k one shots completed, but I've been working on a longer fic for a while now. I don't really get why you'd publish chapter-by-chapter, because that opens up so many opportunities for plot holes and forgotten details imo, so I'll only publish it once it's done done. I'm estimating it to be 60-70k words by the time it's done. And I've got a few other ones conceptualized that I plan to tackle after this one's finished and the groundwork's been set.

It's a lot of fun! I love seeing the characters I create come to life and have their own little thoughts and ideas, it makes me really happy :,) I just wish school didn't drain me as much as it does, then I'd probably get these things written a bit faster. But given that I'm still learning I can really feel myself improving with every new project, which is a really big motivator.
I only recently got into writing and fanfic, all out of spite because I realized perhaps a little belatedly that the canon WoW storyline was not going where I wanted/thought it should, so I straight up made an AU where an entire expansion never happened, just so all my OCs can exist safe from Blizzard's bs lmao and I've been slowly chugging along ever since. As of writing this I only have three 2-3k one shots completed, but I've been working on a longer fic for a while now. I don't really get why you'd publish chapter-by-chapter, because that opens up so many opportunities for plot holes and forgotten details imo, so I'll only publish it once it's done done. I'm estimating it to be 60-70k words by the time it's done. And I've got a few other ones conceptualized that I plan to tackle after this one's finished and the groundwork's been set.

It's a lot of fun! I love seeing the characters I create come to life and have their own little thoughts and ideas, it makes me really happy :,) I just wish school didn't drain me as much as it does, then I'd probably get these things written a bit faster. But given that I'm still learning I can really feel myself improving with every new project, which is a really big motivator.
> My tumblr
> My AO3
X
An angry-looking night elf woman with short green hair and a burn scar on her left cheek, looking to the viewer's right.A night elf woman with purple facial tattoos and purple hair, looking at the viewer with a confident smirk.
she/her | 18+ | FR+2 | brain full of night elves
>> Avatar
>> I love pings!
>> PixelZ, not PixelS!
xxxdont%20feed%20the%20ai.gif
Reader and writer. Recently been on a Helluva Boss bender TwT hmu if you want UHHHHH more info *dies*
Reader and writer. Recently been on a Helluva Boss bender TwT hmu if you want UHHHHH more info *dies*
[quote name="ImpossibleJedi4" date="2022-11-26 06:28:12" ] [quote name="@RtoRestart" date="2022-11-26 06:14:22" ] Meee! I feel embarrassed sharing mine though so I tend to keep them to myself T.T Not that I really write them anyway, I tend to just have ideas rotate in my mind like a rotisserie chicken... Unfortunately my current main fandom doesn't have too much of an art/fanfiction community (from what I've seen), so that's a shame. I've been wanting to get back into reading them but I get super embarrassed about looking it up so I just... never do it. :c [/quote] Hey no need to be embarrassed!! Rotating ideas is fun too lol but hey, there's a lot of people out here doing this and I promise there's nothing to be ashamed of :) [/quote] Sometimes I have to remind myself too that its okay to be cringey sometimes. <3
ImpossibleJedi4 wrote on 2022-11-26 06:28:12:
@RtoRestart wrote on 2022-11-26 06:14:22:
Meee! I feel embarrassed sharing mine though so I tend to keep them to myself T.T Not that I really write them anyway, I tend to just have ideas rotate in my mind like a rotisserie chicken...

Unfortunately my current main fandom doesn't have too much of an art/fanfiction community (from what I've seen), so that's a shame. I've been wanting to get back into reading them but I get super embarrassed about looking it up so I just... never do it. :c
Hey no need to be embarrassed!! Rotating ideas is fun too lol but hey, there's a lot of people out here doing this and I promise there's nothing to be ashamed of :)
Sometimes I have to remind myself too that its okay to be cringey sometimes. <3
[quote name="StarlightDragon7" date="2022-11-23 08:50:33" ] I write plots for fanseries and fangames. I don't write fanfiction. However, if you haven't seen my broadcast message already, I make dark Fer.al AUs in the form of things... that aren't fanfiction. Such as fangames, worldbuilding projects, and animated webseries. What I do write is Fer.al AUs in the form of fangames, worldbuilding projects, and webseries. As such, I don't have any AO3 or Wattpad accounts. Since they're for fanfic... and I make webseries and fangames. Do AU webseries and fangames count on this thread? Although they're not actually fanfiction (one's a webseries, I have no idea what I'm doing with one of them, and one will end up as an MMO.), they are very much AUs. And I guess AUs could be considered... fanfiction. I'm currently working on 3 Fer.al AUs. (Although the other 2 are on the backburner for the one I'm currently working on.) So, in case you don't know, Fer.al was this really cool MMO in which you played as a mythical creature called a Spark. You collected stuff from various lands, played minigames, did quests for various NPCs, and you crafted stuff to customize your avatar. You also had something called a sanctuary which was a private island you could customize. The game was only open to the public 2 years before Wildworks (the developers of Fer.al) decided it would be a good idea to take Fer.al, rip all its assets out, and make an NFT game that looks completely like a ripoff of Fer.al. This project was called Cinder. Guess how the fandom reacted. They went feral. yes the pun was intended Backlash happened, and then Wildworks decided to shutdown Fer.al. They are now universally hated by the fandom. Now while these AUs aren't fanfiction, (one will be a webseries, I have no idea what I'm doing with one of them, and one will be an MMO very similar to Fer.al.), they are fanworks. So the AU I've been working on for the past few months is called FERA_GLITCH. It's an AU heavily inspired by Undertale, as well as an Undertale AU called Glitchtale. Glitchtale was what inspired me to make FERA_GLITCH. FERA_GLITCH is an AU about a very glitched gameplay session of Fer.al which started after 3 mysterious kitsune started a genocide route through Fer.al for unknown reasons. However, because of a very serious security vulnerability that wasn't patched properly, and a glitch that stemmed from this security vulnerability... the genocide route failed, because the Sparks escaped from Fera before the 3 kitsune could kill them. So, 8 months before the main events of the AU, 3 mysterious kitsune went on what was essentially a genocide route through Fera (the world of Fer.al in this AU.). It would have succeeded, if it hadn't been for a glitch that created a massive paradox in both Fera and Fer.al. This event was then known as the Purge. In the Purge, 4 Sparks (who are about 14-16 in human years) escaped Fera and survived. Our protagonists are Greyscale, an emo amnesiac kitsune who has no idea what happened to her or who she was before the Purge, Sanguine, a dragon edgelord who is an excellent hacker and who refuses to talk about anything related to her before the Purge, Sweetheart, who's a magical senri who's a genuinely nice Spark and likes anime, and Sparky, a Minecraft streamer & Youtuber who is the only major canon character from Fer.al who has a role in this AU. He is also a kitsune. They get thrown together by fate, 3 mysterious Sparks trying to kill them, and other things. The series has no real plot. Yet. If it gets finished, it'll end up as a webseries. (major spoilers for the au below) However, what they don't know is... they're in a cosmic horror story. And they also don't know they're actually playing the game... The 3 kitsune are actually 3 avatars of Wildworks' fictional equivalent, Serenity NEO Corporation. The reason why they're being hunted down is because if Serenity NEO Corporation kills them, the glitched timeline will collapse. And the world is controlled by 3 forces: the Developers, the Hackers, and the Players. And they're all trying to gain complete control over Fera. And the rest is a WIP! I just realized this sounds like homestuck crap The next AU is the first AU I started working on. It's called Spa.rks. Spa.rks is an AU set after Fera (Fer.al's world) got destroyed by the Bewixt (which is basically like the shade in FR) and... stuff happened. If I finish it, it'll end up being a project that expands the worldbuilding of Fer.al. I'm also thinking about making it into an MMO based on features Wildworks never implemented into the main game. It's on the backburner for FERA_GLITCH tho. And finally, I have a nightmare fuel-laden Fer.al X Backrooms crossover! Fer.al: The Rooms of Entropy In this AU, when Wildworks wanted to create Fer.al... they couldn't just destroy Fer.al. So what they did instead was they threw it into the Void. The Void is basically a garbage dump for Wildworks. It's a place where they throw stuff they don't want in Fer.al, but they don't want to delete it because it could be useful. After Fera ended up in the Void, things rapidly started to go downhill. Magic began to stop working, weird 'glitches' started happening, strange, glitchy monsters began to show up, computers showed up, Feralians would randomly fall out of the world into strange places not known in Fer.al, some corrupted, some glitched... The reason behind all of this happening is silent data corruption. I'll leave a link to a wikipedia article: Wikipedia article So... yeah, those are all the AUs im working on right now As for fanworks I like, I like AUs. I like Undertale AUs and Fer.al AUs. Unfortunately, Fer.al AUs don't seem to exist right now. There is Luranlow, a plan for a game inspired by Fer.al, but... that's not exactly an AU and all the information for it is locked away in a discord server. Also if anyone has an idea for a Fer.al AU feel free to infodump to me about it and if you find any please tell me thanks [/quote] @StarlightDragon7 keep me posted if you post anything!!!!!!
StarlightDragon7 wrote on 2022-11-23 08:50:33:
I write plots for fanseries and fangames. I don't write fanfiction. However, if you haven't seen my broadcast message already, I make dark Fer.al AUs in the form of things... that aren't fanfiction. Such as fangames, worldbuilding projects, and animated webseries.

What I do write is Fer.al AUs in the form of fangames, worldbuilding projects, and webseries.

As such, I don't have any AO3 or Wattpad accounts. Since they're for fanfic... and I make webseries and fangames.

Do AU webseries and fangames count on this thread?

Although they're not actually fanfiction (one's a webseries, I have no idea what I'm doing with one of them, and one will end up as an MMO.), they are very much AUs. And I guess AUs could be considered... fanfiction.

I'm currently working on 3 Fer.al AUs. (Although the other 2 are on the backburner for the one I'm currently working on.)

So, in case you don't know, Fer.al was this really cool MMO in which you played as a mythical creature called a Spark. You collected stuff from various lands, played minigames, did quests for various NPCs, and you crafted stuff to customize your avatar. You also had something called a sanctuary which was a private island you could customize.

The game was only open to the public 2 years before Wildworks (the developers of Fer.al) decided it would be a good idea to take Fer.al, rip all its assets out, and make an NFT game that looks completely like a ripoff of Fer.al. This project was called Cinder. Guess how the fandom reacted.

They went feral. yes the pun was intended

Backlash happened, and then Wildworks decided to shutdown Fer.al. They are now universally hated by the fandom.

Now while these AUs aren't fanfiction, (one will be a webseries, I have no idea what I'm doing with one of them, and one will be an MMO very similar to Fer.al.), they are fanworks.

So the AU I've been working on for the past few months is called FERA_GLITCH. It's an AU heavily inspired by Undertale, as well as an Undertale AU called Glitchtale. Glitchtale was what inspired me to make FERA_GLITCH.

FERA_GLITCH is an AU about a very glitched gameplay session of Fer.al which started after 3 mysterious kitsune started a genocide route through Fer.al for unknown reasons. However, because of a very serious security vulnerability that wasn't patched properly, and a glitch that stemmed from this security vulnerability... the genocide route failed, because the Sparks escaped from Fera before the 3 kitsune could kill them.

So, 8 months before the main events of the AU, 3 mysterious kitsune went on what was essentially a genocide route through Fera (the world of Fer.al in this AU.). It would have succeeded, if it hadn't been for a glitch that created a massive paradox in both Fera and Fer.al.

This event was then known as the Purge.

In the Purge, 4 Sparks (who are about 14-16 in human years) escaped Fera and survived.

Our protagonists are Greyscale, an emo amnesiac kitsune who has no idea what happened to her or who she was before the Purge, Sanguine, a dragon edgelord who is an excellent hacker and who refuses to talk about anything related to her before the Purge, Sweetheart, who's a magical senri who's a genuinely nice Spark and likes anime, and Sparky, a Minecraft streamer & Youtuber who is the only major canon character from Fer.al who has a role in this AU. He is also a kitsune.

They get thrown together by fate, 3 mysterious Sparks trying to kill them, and other things. The series has no real plot. Yet.

If it gets finished, it'll end up as a webseries. (major spoilers for the au below)

However, what they don't know is... they're in a cosmic horror story. And they also don't know they're actually playing the game... The 3 kitsune are actually 3 avatars of Wildworks' fictional equivalent, Serenity NEO Corporation. The reason why they're being hunted down is because if Serenity NEO Corporation kills them, the glitched timeline will collapse. And the world is controlled by 3 forces: the Developers, the Hackers, and the Players. And they're all trying to gain complete control over Fera. And the rest is a WIP! I just realized this sounds like homestuck crap

The next AU is the first AU I started working on.

It's called Spa.rks.

Spa.rks is an AU set after Fera (Fer.al's world) got destroyed by the Bewixt (which is basically like the shade in FR) and... stuff happened.

If I finish it, it'll end up being a project that expands the worldbuilding of Fer.al. I'm also thinking about making it into an MMO based on features Wildworks never implemented into the main game.

It's on the backburner for FERA_GLITCH tho.

And finally, I have a nightmare fuel-laden Fer.al X Backrooms crossover!

Fer.al: The Rooms of Entropy

In this AU, when Wildworks wanted to create Fer.al... they couldn't just destroy Fer.al.

So what they did instead was they threw it into the Void. The Void is basically a garbage dump for Wildworks. It's a place where they throw stuff they don't want in Fer.al, but they don't want to delete it because it could be useful.

After Fera ended up in the Void, things rapidly started to go downhill. Magic began to stop working, weird 'glitches' started happening, strange, glitchy monsters began to show up, computers showed up, Feralians would randomly fall out of the world into strange places not known in Fer.al, some corrupted, some glitched...

The reason behind all of this happening is silent data corruption.

I'll leave a link to a wikipedia article: Wikipedia article

So... yeah, those are all the AUs im working on right now

As for fanworks I like, I like AUs.

I like Undertale AUs and Fer.al AUs. Unfortunately, Fer.al AUs don't seem to exist right now. There is Luranlow, a plan for a game inspired by Fer.al, but... that's not exactly an AU and all the information for it is locked away in a discord server.

Also if anyone has an idea for a Fer.al AU feel free to infodump to me about it and if you find any please tell me thanks
@StarlightDragon7

keep me posted if you post anything!!!!!!
I've recently started attempting to write fanfiction. It's been really fun even if I'm not the best at it right now. My current one is a Pokemon fanfic that loosely follows the plot of the mid to post-game of Sun/Moon, but with a lot of focus on the relationships between my OC and the members of Team Skull. My OC isn't the player character, and is instead some weirdo with a very difficult past who ran away to Alola to hide in the forest. She did fairly well living on her own with her pokemon, but she slowly integrates into the outskirts of society once she meets Team Skull. It's mostly found-family chaos with some angst and edginess sprinkled in. I had to write something about these dummies and their dumbness because they won't leave my head. I'll probably post the story once I'm finished, but I have a long ways to go before I have an entire draft down. I've been trying my best to make it enjoyable to read for those with zero prior information to my OC. -------------- If you don't know much about Team Skull then these two screenshots should sum them up pretty well: [img]https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/191/620/2dc.png[/img] [img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/4ee916f676fefc2c9fd4da44ccad405b/tumblr_oz7297GWfv1qioqevo2_540.gif[/img]
I've recently started attempting to write fanfiction. It's been really fun even if I'm not the best at it right now. My current one is a Pokemon fanfic that loosely follows the plot of the mid to post-game of Sun/Moon, but with a lot of focus on the relationships between my OC and the members of Team Skull.

My OC isn't the player character, and is instead some weirdo with a very difficult past who ran away to Alola to hide in the forest. She did fairly well living on her own with her pokemon, but she slowly integrates into the outskirts of society once she meets Team Skull.

It's mostly found-family chaos with some angst and edginess sprinkled in. I had to write something about these dummies and their dumbness because they won't leave my head.

I'll probably post the story once I'm finished, but I have a long ways to go before I have an entire draft down. I've been trying my best to make it enjoyable to read for those with zero prior information to my OC.
If you don't know much about Team Skull then these two screenshots should sum them up pretty well:
2dc.png
tumblr_oz7297GWfv1qioqevo2_540.gif
9CrKgSL.png Silt Wolf She/Her
Lore Clan
Wishlist
Toyhouse
Swamp Wolf 84WUQBr.png
@Crizona
Hi yes I love team skull and your fic sounds WONDERFUL!!
@Crizona
Hi yes I love team skull and your fic sounds WONDERFUL!!
Spr_B2W2_Emmet.png
Sym4.png
"There is no terminal called End in your life!"
Sym6.png Blue // they/he Sym5.png

Sym5.png Goals and Link DirectorySym6.png
Sym3.png
Spr_B2W2_Ingo.png
I'd like to say I don't see fanfic as practice for "the real thing". As someone who writes both fanfic and original fiction and knows there are people who are published and still write fanfic--it's an enjoyable thing to do on its own right and doesn't necessarily have to be something you do to build up to working on completely original fiction.

Personally, I get excited about fanfic a lot of the time in a way I don't with original fiction. There's this sense I'm having a lot of fun, the expectations are lower (in the sense there's no pressure to perform in a particular way for a particular end), you have more freedom to do whatever you want because there's no market you have to consider, and I get a feeling I'm sharing something with other people in a way I don't when it comes to original fiction. I think for a lot of people there's definitely pulls to one or the other and some people do start off with fanfic and realize they like writing and want to focus on original works more. But it's a hobby that encompasses a lot of different types of stories and writing styles from a lot of different people for a lot of different reasons and it's difficult to really give one representation of it because it's all so varied.

I've been reading fanfic for a long time and I also read a lot of published books. I think what readers want out of either one is so vastly different that aside from some prose and formatting dialogue you're not going to get good practice doing one for the other, necessarily. I mean even though I'm still the same person what I want from one or the other isn't the same. And there are things I genuinely believe fanfic does really well that original works don't.

As for readerfic? Actually I think it's a pretty cool thing that it's a niche that exist solely within fanfic. I mean think about it, regardless of what anyone thinks it's a type of story that doesn't exist anywhere else. Fandom/fanfic invented it and that's pretty neat. (I mean I guess you could say that dating sims/some VNs are sort of the game equivalent just with branching choices but for writing there's not.)

I think it's pretty cool that so many people use their talents and build their skills to share creative works for no other reason than to live in another world for a little bit and share that with others.
I'd like to say I don't see fanfic as practice for "the real thing". As someone who writes both fanfic and original fiction and knows there are people who are published and still write fanfic--it's an enjoyable thing to do on its own right and doesn't necessarily have to be something you do to build up to working on completely original fiction.

Personally, I get excited about fanfic a lot of the time in a way I don't with original fiction. There's this sense I'm having a lot of fun, the expectations are lower (in the sense there's no pressure to perform in a particular way for a particular end), you have more freedom to do whatever you want because there's no market you have to consider, and I get a feeling I'm sharing something with other people in a way I don't when it comes to original fiction. I think for a lot of people there's definitely pulls to one or the other and some people do start off with fanfic and realize they like writing and want to focus on original works more. But it's a hobby that encompasses a lot of different types of stories and writing styles from a lot of different people for a lot of different reasons and it's difficult to really give one representation of it because it's all so varied.

I've been reading fanfic for a long time and I also read a lot of published books. I think what readers want out of either one is so vastly different that aside from some prose and formatting dialogue you're not going to get good practice doing one for the other, necessarily. I mean even though I'm still the same person what I want from one or the other isn't the same. And there are things I genuinely believe fanfic does really well that original works don't.

As for readerfic? Actually I think it's a pretty cool thing that it's a niche that exist solely within fanfic. I mean think about it, regardless of what anyone thinks it's a type of story that doesn't exist anywhere else. Fandom/fanfic invented it and that's pretty neat. (I mean I guess you could say that dating sims/some VNs are sort of the game equivalent just with branching choices but for writing there's not.)

I think it's pretty cool that so many people use their talents and build their skills to share creative works for no other reason than to live in another world for a little bit and share that with others.
although i do some writing every now and then, i'm definitely more of a reader!
nothing shatters my sleep schedule worse than an engaging fic. worse if it's so well written that i have to stop every few paragraphs just to draw yet another scene. absolutely terrible. can't stand when writers have so much power over my dumb little pea brain!!!! they write a very nice scene and i get immediately possessed to paint the damn thing. how is that even fair? they write a good chapter and here i am, forced to draw it out in comic format. literally the worst thing!

jokes aside, seriously though. kudos, gang. writing is my favorite side of fandoms. i'm always so excited to be done with a series to whip out AO3 spoiler free. sure a nice picture to use as a wallpaper is neat but have you ever read a REALLy good fanfic? just kidding. both are important, but yknow! i'm just saying!
although i do some writing every now and then, i'm definitely more of a reader!
nothing shatters my sleep schedule worse than an engaging fic. worse if it's so well written that i have to stop every few paragraphs just to draw yet another scene. absolutely terrible. can't stand when writers have so much power over my dumb little pea brain!!!! they write a very nice scene and i get immediately possessed to paint the damn thing. how is that even fair? they write a good chapter and here i am, forced to draw it out in comic format. literally the worst thing!

jokes aside, seriously though. kudos, gang. writing is my favorite side of fandoms. i'm always so excited to be done with a series to whip out AO3 spoiler free. sure a nice picture to use as a wallpaper is neat but have you ever read a REALLy good fanfic? just kidding. both are important, but yknow! i'm just saying!
Untitled-1.png
The only two things I've posted on my Ao3 has been completely out of my writing style in first person lol. Definitely more of a reader right now, but I'm starting to get some inspo for writing more stuff!

Though, the inspo I'm getting is for a complety different fandom than what I've posted lol.

I gotta say, writing has to be my favorite side of any fandom! As much as i love the art side, it doesn't give you 70k word fics that you can absolutelylose yourself in!
The only two things I've posted on my Ao3 has been completely out of my writing style in first person lol. Definitely more of a reader right now, but I'm starting to get some inspo for writing more stuff!

Though, the inspo I'm getting is for a complety different fandom than what I've posted lol.

I gotta say, writing has to be my favorite side of any fandom! As much as i love the art side, it doesn't give you 70k word fics that you can absolutelylose yourself in!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9