Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | TikTok: Good or Bad?
1 2 3 4 5
I've never made an account, but I figure TikTok is a funny place based on videos that leak over to other social medias (containment breach!) That being said, I'd never consider making an account myself.

Because TikTok is mainly a video platform, the most effective way to communicate is by talking out loud (and yes I know there's text to speech options but that's beside the point). If a random user comes to flame me for a take I posted on some other post, I don't want them to be able to hear my voice, let alone my face.
I've never made an account, but I figure TikTok is a funny place based on videos that leak over to other social medias (containment breach!) That being said, I'd never consider making an account myself.

Because TikTok is mainly a video platform, the most effective way to communicate is by talking out loud (and yes I know there's text to speech options but that's beside the point). If a random user comes to flame me for a take I posted on some other post, I don't want them to be able to hear my voice, let alone my face.
XR2L6R5.png
hzM3Sr2.pngWAWs3m5.png

2PD5mX1.png I've never hoarded items before but I've made it my goal to see just how much salt I can accumulate. Send me those sweet salt stacks, you wont regret it. (4968 piles of salt)
scGIGIO.png
It works well if you want to get your art out there, but there is a lot of drama depending what/who you follow and like, there is this issue of people faking disorders and illnesses, but if you don't really interact with said videos by liking and such, you should be good.

It seems to be in a 2013-2015 tumlr phase, so take that as you will. Over all its a good time waster app if you're bored :)
It works well if you want to get your art out there, but there is a lot of drama depending what/who you follow and like, there is this issue of people faking disorders and illnesses, but if you don't really interact with said videos by liking and such, you should be good.

It seems to be in a 2013-2015 tumlr phase, so take that as you will. Over all its a good time waster app if you're bored :)
........ deity_shadowbinder_by_dogi_crimson-da4xq7y.gif tumblr_inline_oqxzzokthn1r2ao8y_540.png
As someone who knows about how Tumblr was but was never actually on it, your liking of TikTok to Tumblr gives me a firm idea of the state it is in. I have never heard anyone refer to it like this but it feels fitting.
As someone who knows about how Tumblr was but was never actually on it, your liking of TikTok to Tumblr gives me a firm idea of the state it is in. I have never heard anyone refer to it like this but it feels fitting.
hello people of the internet
no I wasn't born in 2000 that's just my username
OrlEqVx.pngE3nmoMt.png
mlHpBMC.png
I have never had an account on it and I'm not interested in getting one, mainly because of what I've heard about it - I occasionally watch videos that come from there when they show up on other social media (e.g. Reddit), though.

But yeah, I'd agree that if you don't like it, you can easily just uninstall it.
I have never had an account on it and I'm not interested in getting one, mainly because of what I've heard about it - I occasionally watch videos that come from there when they show up on other social media (e.g. Reddit), though.

But yeah, I'd agree that if you don't like it, you can easily just uninstall it.
Tobias | He/Him | Fiesta de Muertos and The Flying Trapeze (100 hatchling challenges)
Regarding forum games, please only select dragons who have familiars - those are the permanent residents of my lair. Feel free to look through the hibernal den, too
Considering that articles are out there about how the company running the app purposefully suppressed minorities' content, no thank you... The whole app puts me off.

It's a privacy minefield you can't get out of, and it's best to avoid it outright even if it has a few nice communities.
Considering that articles are out there about how the company running the app purposefully suppressed minorities' content, no thank you... The whole app puts me off.

It's a privacy minefield you can't get out of, and it's best to avoid it outright even if it has a few nice communities.
25762.png frame-0-delay-0-1s-1.png
it can be nice depending on the content you watch, but some of it js really bad
it can be nice depending on the content you watch, but some of it js really bad
transmasc / genderfluid | pomosexual | OSDD-1B sys | kFLe76I.png
There have been a lot of cons brought up that I don't need to repeat, but just to add something different. I will never get a TikTok account and only occasionally watch compilations on YouTube, but there is a ton of creativity out there. Once I found a few accounts that posted good compilations I stuck with them, I don't like to see harmful "pranks" or "jokes" at other's expense or it's just simply topics that don't interest me.

There's definitely a lot of bad, but I can't deny that people put out genuinely good content too. I've had a lot of laughs and I like that I can see content from different kinds of people in a way that I can't get from Twitter or would be harder to find on YouTube (yay for algorithms /s).

I like finding short educational ones too - topics that include different foods, cultures, experiences, etc. A recent example was a someone who had a lot to share about ways to be more mindful about disabled people and the challenges they face. I've learned a lot about different perspectives I likely wouldn't have stumbled onto otherwise, especially since the platform may be better suited or approachable than others for sharing their content.

I'm in my mid-20's, but I think there's a lot more diverse, inclusive, and helpful info out there now that's more accessible. I wish I had that when I was in my teens. In healthy balanced doses of course, Twitter can be REALLY depressing sometimes haha.
But I was pretty isolated / kept the dark on real world issues / made me struggle more on my own. A lot of today's youth are really sharp and way ahead of where I was at that age despite everything else the world constantly throws at us.

Just rambles my caffeine induced brain felt like sharing :'D
There have been a lot of cons brought up that I don't need to repeat, but just to add something different. I will never get a TikTok account and only occasionally watch compilations on YouTube, but there is a ton of creativity out there. Once I found a few accounts that posted good compilations I stuck with them, I don't like to see harmful "pranks" or "jokes" at other's expense or it's just simply topics that don't interest me.

There's definitely a lot of bad, but I can't deny that people put out genuinely good content too. I've had a lot of laughs and I like that I can see content from different kinds of people in a way that I can't get from Twitter or would be harder to find on YouTube (yay for algorithms /s).

I like finding short educational ones too - topics that include different foods, cultures, experiences, etc. A recent example was a someone who had a lot to share about ways to be more mindful about disabled people and the challenges they face. I've learned a lot about different perspectives I likely wouldn't have stumbled onto otherwise, especially since the platform may be better suited or approachable than others for sharing their content.

I'm in my mid-20's, but I think there's a lot more diverse, inclusive, and helpful info out there now that's more accessible. I wish I had that when I was in my teens. In healthy balanced doses of course, Twitter can be REALLY depressing sometimes haha.
But I was pretty isolated / kept the dark on real world issues / made me struggle more on my own. A lot of today's youth are really sharp and way ahead of where I was at that age despite everything else the world constantly throws at us.

Just rambles my caffeine induced brain felt like sharing :'D
output_43i3Yr.gif
The concept in itself is not that bad.

However, the fact that it targets young people is what makes it a rather dangerous platform.

I won't talk about the obvious – paedophilia, etc. Perhaps too sensitive anyway to talk about this here.

What concerns me and that seems to go quite unnoticed is that young people – being young people – do stupid stuff on tik tok; but unlike internet forums and websites, on tik tok you have your actual name and your actual face, for the whole world to see. And that is really something I find very concerning.

Faking disorders for attention have always been a thing – see Munchhausen's syndrome. With internet, it has become easier to find a community to support you, and easier to convince people with your lies too. Platforms like tumblr as well as diverse forums have had their fair share of disorder fakers (fakers that, ironically, see through each other's lies, but they still support each other and validate each other, a curious phenomenon, I must say!), but it's nothing like tik tok. As I said, on tik tok, you have your actual identity linked to your online activity. And when your online activity revolves around collecting labels and disorders because everyone else around you does it and because it helps you create a community of like-minded people where you feel safe and validated... having your actual identity linked to this gets a bit worrying.

Now, kids will be kids. Sure, faking disorders is bad. Appropriating labels, identities, etc. is not totally okay either, because you can unwillingly perpetuate harmful stereotypes and ideas by not completely understanding the identities you claimed. But with in mind the fact that those are young (usually under sixteen years old) people that are just longing for a sense of belonging, for a world to be fully part of, I can get why they do this. Yet, with a platform like tik tok, these young souls have the opportunity to find each and one of them and to create an enormous community of very similar people with the same quest for being the one among the masses of average, stupid, blind and uninteresting people. This has enabled harmful thoughts to spread among young people as well as a lack of confrontation with people thinking differently, which doesn't help them to learn how to coexist with people whom they have been taught to see as an enemy and to demonise. In other words, they keep themselves in a world vision where everything is either white or black, with absolutely no concept of nuances.

It wouldn't be that serious and concerning if they quickly came to understand that the world is a very wide place with very different people and thousands of nuances, and that everyone can still be unique and worthy of being respected and listened to and to have their own identity without having to be overly oppressed in every way they can. This was what used to happen when such behaviours were confined to internet forums and other platforms. While those communities could also be quite big themselves, it was perhaps easier back then to go from this mindset to a healthier one. I suspect it was because many teenagers only had access to their online communities at home on the computer, whereas now kids have a smartphone between their hands and an unlimited access to tik tok and other apps at a very young age. Apps that are also very addictive, especially for younger people, so it's become very hard to free yourself from such a harmful place where the common thought is that you are no one, or you are uninteresting, or unworthy of attention, or even part of the problem, if you are not oppressed/different/a minority of any sort.

It should be something that stays between those kids, and that gets forgotten when the years go by. I would be lying if I told you I never tried to be ”quirky” or different at some point in my teenage years. I, like everyone else, had a time where I needed to find a community, simply somewhere to belong. This longing for a sense of belonging is not the problem. Trying different labels/identities to find a way to be more comfortable with yourself is not the problem either. The problem is the fact that these communities get more and more strict, with very specific unspoken rules of how you should think and who you should be to be plainly accepted and considered as a ”good” person. Therefore, it gets very hard to leave such communities and their mindset, and you can now see young adults being still in that ”phase”, still faking medical conditions and other serious things that they understand as mere oppression accessories and political and societal identities, still reacting violently and still degrading their mental health because they have not learned how to handle the fact that vast amounts of people don't agree with them or, even worse, criticise them. Yet the world has now fully integrated internet into its reality and your online activities are precious indications for your employer when it comes to looking for a job.

While your rather concerning teenage internet fights used to be restrained to your tumblr or twitter account and to a specific period of your teenage years, now it follows you well into your twenties and it sticks to your actual identity. Tik tok is not the only culprit there, and it's especially a specific corner of tik tok (”alt” tik tok), but it does help those harmful behaviours to be integrated by a wider group of young people from the whole world (because, yeah, in the beginning it appeared to be almost exclusively an American thing).

Most concerning thing I've seen about tik tok? The existence of subliminal videos to ”get schizophrenia”, ”get DID”, ”augment the chances to be assaulted”. With dozens if not hundreds of kids and teenagers thanking the poster and hoping that it will work. The oppression Olympics... Very dangerous.

I allowed myself to write all of that because I know similar people are on here, on FR, and I figured it was important to speak about it for once.

You're worthy of being listened to and respected no matter who you are, people. You don't need to have serious, horrible illnesses to be someone. Your genuine personality, identity and centres of interest are completely enough. You don't need to be always more and more and more. You don't need other people to validate who you are either.
The concept in itself is not that bad.

However, the fact that it targets young people is what makes it a rather dangerous platform.

I won't talk about the obvious – paedophilia, etc. Perhaps too sensitive anyway to talk about this here.

What concerns me and that seems to go quite unnoticed is that young people – being young people – do stupid stuff on tik tok; but unlike internet forums and websites, on tik tok you have your actual name and your actual face, for the whole world to see. And that is really something I find very concerning.

Faking disorders for attention have always been a thing – see Munchhausen's syndrome. With internet, it has become easier to find a community to support you, and easier to convince people with your lies too. Platforms like tumblr as well as diverse forums have had their fair share of disorder fakers (fakers that, ironically, see through each other's lies, but they still support each other and validate each other, a curious phenomenon, I must say!), but it's nothing like tik tok. As I said, on tik tok, you have your actual identity linked to your online activity. And when your online activity revolves around collecting labels and disorders because everyone else around you does it and because it helps you create a community of like-minded people where you feel safe and validated... having your actual identity linked to this gets a bit worrying.

Now, kids will be kids. Sure, faking disorders is bad. Appropriating labels, identities, etc. is not totally okay either, because you can unwillingly perpetuate harmful stereotypes and ideas by not completely understanding the identities you claimed. But with in mind the fact that those are young (usually under sixteen years old) people that are just longing for a sense of belonging, for a world to be fully part of, I can get why they do this. Yet, with a platform like tik tok, these young souls have the opportunity to find each and one of them and to create an enormous community of very similar people with the same quest for being the one among the masses of average, stupid, blind and uninteresting people. This has enabled harmful thoughts to spread among young people as well as a lack of confrontation with people thinking differently, which doesn't help them to learn how to coexist with people whom they have been taught to see as an enemy and to demonise. In other words, they keep themselves in a world vision where everything is either white or black, with absolutely no concept of nuances.

It wouldn't be that serious and concerning if they quickly came to understand that the world is a very wide place with very different people and thousands of nuances, and that everyone can still be unique and worthy of being respected and listened to and to have their own identity without having to be overly oppressed in every way they can. This was what used to happen when such behaviours were confined to internet forums and other platforms. While those communities could also be quite big themselves, it was perhaps easier back then to go from this mindset to a healthier one. I suspect it was because many teenagers only had access to their online communities at home on the computer, whereas now kids have a smartphone between their hands and an unlimited access to tik tok and other apps at a very young age. Apps that are also very addictive, especially for younger people, so it's become very hard to free yourself from such a harmful place where the common thought is that you are no one, or you are uninteresting, or unworthy of attention, or even part of the problem, if you are not oppressed/different/a minority of any sort.

It should be something that stays between those kids, and that gets forgotten when the years go by. I would be lying if I told you I never tried to be ”quirky” or different at some point in my teenage years. I, like everyone else, had a time where I needed to find a community, simply somewhere to belong. This longing for a sense of belonging is not the problem. Trying different labels/identities to find a way to be more comfortable with yourself is not the problem either. The problem is the fact that these communities get more and more strict, with very specific unspoken rules of how you should think and who you should be to be plainly accepted and considered as a ”good” person. Therefore, it gets very hard to leave such communities and their mindset, and you can now see young adults being still in that ”phase”, still faking medical conditions and other serious things that they understand as mere oppression accessories and political and societal identities, still reacting violently and still degrading their mental health because they have not learned how to handle the fact that vast amounts of people don't agree with them or, even worse, criticise them. Yet the world has now fully integrated internet into its reality and your online activities are precious indications for your employer when it comes to looking for a job.

While your rather concerning teenage internet fights used to be restrained to your tumblr or twitter account and to a specific period of your teenage years, now it follows you well into your twenties and it sticks to your actual identity. Tik tok is not the only culprit there, and it's especially a specific corner of tik tok (”alt” tik tok), but it does help those harmful behaviours to be integrated by a wider group of young people from the whole world (because, yeah, in the beginning it appeared to be almost exclusively an American thing).

Most concerning thing I've seen about tik tok? The existence of subliminal videos to ”get schizophrenia”, ”get DID”, ”augment the chances to be assaulted”. With dozens if not hundreds of kids and teenagers thanking the poster and hoping that it will work. The oppression Olympics... Very dangerous.

I allowed myself to write all of that because I know similar people are on here, on FR, and I figured it was important to speak about it for once.

You're worthy of being listened to and respected no matter who you are, people. You don't need to have serious, horrible illnesses to be someone. Your genuine personality, identity and centres of interest are completely enough. You don't need to be always more and more and more. You don't need other people to validate who you are either.
To exist in fragile light.
tiktok is like reliving through 2013 tumblr, no thanks
present day twitter is also like 2013 tumblr
the internet is just going in circles
tiktok is like reliving through 2013 tumblr, no thanks
present day twitter is also like 2013 tumblr
the internet is just going in circles
TeMkEVX.png
GPbVPRP.png Shamura
1OX9mEs.gif any pronouns
1OX9mEs.gif FR time +0
1OX9mEs.gif Abe love ♥
1OX9mEs.gifAvatar dragon
sqaur.png FxIG1mZ.gif For DRS: I have more dragons in the hibden
1OX9mEs.gif For IKTR: my fandragons are here
1OX9mEs.gif Robots are peak character design
1OX9mEs.gif goatlings
1OX9mEs.gif Play ISAT pleaaaase
it's a lot like twitter tbh
the clips that get reposted to other sites are good, actually being on tiktok is a nightmare tho

it sucks how much tiktok and FB and some other places normalized algorithm-based feeds
whcih is why i love tumblr since its one of the only places on the internet with chronological-only without any ai bullcrap
it's a lot like twitter tbh
the clips that get reposted to other sites are good, actually being on tiktok is a nightmare tho

it sucks how much tiktok and FB and some other places normalized algorithm-based feeds
whcih is why i love tumblr since its one of the only places on the internet with chronological-only without any ai bullcrap
1 2 3 4 5