Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Red Dead Online
I just got the online bit on my xbox and I have no idea what I’m doing if I’m honest and I get kind of anxious, thinking its gonna be like gta and everyone’s just gonna be on a murder rampage

Off chance, anyone wanna play with a noob?

IGN: Uvarah
I just got the online bit on my xbox and I have no idea what I’m doing if I’m honest and I get kind of anxious, thinking its gonna be like gta and everyone’s just gonna be on a murder rampage

Off chance, anyone wanna play with a noob?

IGN: Uvarah
9e9feb1cd233d5fc793ec7c6dd43c14e98d311f2.gif
I'm on PS4 so I don't think it has crossplay to play together, but I can give some tips to get started!

Somewhere under settings you can set yourself to Defensive mode which will make it harder for other players to bother you. You can usually see them on the minimap and just stay out their way if you want, pretty much everyone I passed by just left me alone.

To start, I'd recommend just following the story missions to get money and stuff. I can't remember how you unlock them but there's treasure chests you can find too for lots of Gold, you can just use youtube to find the locations for easy gold early on. You should save it to unlock one of the other classes/jobs like bounty hunter or collector.
I'm on PS4 so I don't think it has crossplay to play together, but I can give some tips to get started!

Somewhere under settings you can set yourself to Defensive mode which will make it harder for other players to bother you. You can usually see them on the minimap and just stay out their way if you want, pretty much everyone I passed by just left me alone.

To start, I'd recommend just following the story missions to get money and stuff. I can't remember how you unlock them but there's treasure chests you can find too for lots of Gold, you can just use youtube to find the locations for easy gold early on. You should save it to unlock one of the other classes/jobs like bounty hunter or collector.
I don't find that everyone is murderous in online, but granted I do play on PS4 instead of Xbox.

Agree with the above though -- definitely stick yourself in Defensive. It's only a tiny minority of other players who will go out of their way to be dongs to you, but defensive mode prevents them auto-aiming at you, deadeyeing you or lassoing you. I hate being shot, but being lasso'd and hogtied just infuriates me.

Plus, if you do get shot by a rando, so long as you accept your fate and leave your gun (or in my case, bow) untouched, you can usually choose to Parlay with the aggressor, which totally prevents interaction for 10 minutes.

Some people will tell you Defensive mode is cowardly, but they can kiss my Defensive level 510 butt, frankly.

Gold can be found by doing daily challenges (with increases for streaks), using maps (awarded for levelling up, as rewards or looted from enemies) which is useful for buying roles, but definitely do stranger and story missions and stuff too. Bounty Hunter awards you gold, but it's easily the biggest slog in terms of role. For regular cash (and easy exp), I recommend Collector, so long as you use the blisteringly useful JeanRopke map (google should provide), which tells you where the collectibles are.

I also recommend (totally unsolicited advice here) that you change your Horse settings to prevent randos from accessing it or any cargo you might have on it. It's a minor detail, but doesn't hurt to stop people borrowing your horse.

Alas, since crossplay isn't a thing I can't help you directly, but I wish you luck!
I don't find that everyone is murderous in online, but granted I do play on PS4 instead of Xbox.

Agree with the above though -- definitely stick yourself in Defensive. It's only a tiny minority of other players who will go out of their way to be dongs to you, but defensive mode prevents them auto-aiming at you, deadeyeing you or lassoing you. I hate being shot, but being lasso'd and hogtied just infuriates me.

Plus, if you do get shot by a rando, so long as you accept your fate and leave your gun (or in my case, bow) untouched, you can usually choose to Parlay with the aggressor, which totally prevents interaction for 10 minutes.

Some people will tell you Defensive mode is cowardly, but they can kiss my Defensive level 510 butt, frankly.

Gold can be found by doing daily challenges (with increases for streaks), using maps (awarded for levelling up, as rewards or looted from enemies) which is useful for buying roles, but definitely do stranger and story missions and stuff too. Bounty Hunter awards you gold, but it's easily the biggest slog in terms of role. For regular cash (and easy exp), I recommend Collector, so long as you use the blisteringly useful JeanRopke map (google should provide), which tells you where the collectibles are.

I also recommend (totally unsolicited advice here) that you change your Horse settings to prevent randos from accessing it or any cargo you might have on it. It's a minor detail, but doesn't hurt to stop people borrowing your horse.

Alas, since crossplay isn't a thing I can't help you directly, but I wish you luck!
byGS9bb.png VtFVqTA.png
UK time. Sorry for timezone-related delays in responses. They/Them.
Also, is there voice chat in the game? I heard that there was but I’m not sure.

I’ve just seen a lot of tik toks about new players acting aggressive and killing people (and horses). I’ll play on defensive definitely until I get my bearings or until it doesnt make me anxious anymore.

Horse care is definitely another thing thats gonna stress me out. But should be fine in defensive mode.

Thank you ^^
Also, is there voice chat in the game? I heard that there was but I’m not sure.

I’ve just seen a lot of tik toks about new players acting aggressive and killing people (and horses). I’ll play on defensive definitely until I get my bearings or until it doesnt make me anxious anymore.

Horse care is definitely another thing thats gonna stress me out. But should be fine in defensive mode.

Thank you ^^
I've been playing RDO since it started but I'm on PS4. Definitely agree with defensive mode and parley, especially at the start when fighting back against players is really hard until you unlock decent guns and develop your skills. The game is actually pretty chill though, and I meet far more friendly players than I do aggressive ones.

Everyone else has given pretty good advice, so I'll add if someone invites you to their posse then accept if you're not busy. A lot of people invite randoms when they want help with a trader delivery (which will give you around $300-400 I think?) or to complete bounties/missions that you probably wont have access too early on. There's always a bit of a risk with joining random posses, but for the most part I've found it a positive experience. I often invite new players to my posse to help them out and get them some easy money/gold
I've been playing RDO since it started but I'm on PS4. Definitely agree with defensive mode and parley, especially at the start when fighting back against players is really hard until you unlock decent guns and develop your skills. The game is actually pretty chill though, and I meet far more friendly players than I do aggressive ones.

Everyone else has given pretty good advice, so I'll add if someone invites you to their posse then accept if you're not busy. A lot of people invite randoms when they want help with a trader delivery (which will give you around $300-400 I think?) or to complete bounties/missions that you probably wont have access too early on. There's always a bit of a risk with joining random posses, but for the most part I've found it a positive experience. I often invite new players to my posse to help them out and get them some easy money/gold
i2_zpse5888f61.png i1_zps0a156dc3.png
(I do have a PS4 and I have bought the game on there but it gave me too much anxiety to actually try it.)
Going to try to ease my stress on xbox since it sorta worked with ARK a little bit.
And by the time I figure it on xbox then I’ll manage on my ps4.
(I do have a PS4 and I have bought the game on there but it gave me too much anxiety to actually try it.)
Going to try to ease my stress on xbox since it sorta worked with ARK a little bit.
And by the time I figure it on xbox then I’ll manage on my ps4.
Went into town, immediately got jumped by some guy. I’m already having a bad day so I gave him a mouthful and then escaped his lasso and hid in a building i stg
Went into town, immediately got jumped by some guy. I’m already having a bad day so I gave him a mouthful and then escaped his lasso and hid in a building i stg