Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | real neat books you've read?
1 2 3 4 5
Adding on to dragon book series because that's pretty much all I read at this point haha:

Wings of Fire by Tui T. Sutherland - Probably the most popular of what I'll be listing here, but this series has been a long-time favorite of mine and is from the perspective of the dragons. There are three main arcs at the moment, with the third still a work in progress. The first arc is my favorite, and follows a group of 5 young dragons who have been raised believing they were meant to stop a war that has been ravaging their home, according to a prophecy. The target audience is supposedly from ages 8 - 12, but there is plenty of (rather gruesome) action throughout the entire series that keeps me entertained even years after I picked up and read the first book.

Temeraire by Naomi Novik - I have only read the first three books in this series, but I think there's around 7 or so. It takes place during the Napoleonic Wars, but with the addition of dragon squadrons on both sides. I love the two main characters, and their dynamic is really sweet! The rider, Captain Laurence of Great Britain, and his dragon, Temertaire, are the main features, with Laurence being the POV.

A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan - I literally just finished reading the first book, and the main character, Isabella Camherst, spoke volumes to my scientifically-inclined, dragon-loving self. If you are someone like that, you may really appreciate this book. It is set in a different world than Earth but that is very similar to Western standards in the 1800s. The main character and a crew of three other people go on a hunt to observe dragons in their natural habitat, while solving mysteries from around the local town all the while.

Hope these are some good recommendations for you guys!
Adding on to dragon book series because that's pretty much all I read at this point haha:

Wings of Fire by Tui T. Sutherland - Probably the most popular of what I'll be listing here, but this series has been a long-time favorite of mine and is from the perspective of the dragons. There are three main arcs at the moment, with the third still a work in progress. The first arc is my favorite, and follows a group of 5 young dragons who have been raised believing they were meant to stop a war that has been ravaging their home, according to a prophecy. The target audience is supposedly from ages 8 - 12, but there is plenty of (rather gruesome) action throughout the entire series that keeps me entertained even years after I picked up and read the first book.

Temeraire by Naomi Novik - I have only read the first three books in this series, but I think there's around 7 or so. It takes place during the Napoleonic Wars, but with the addition of dragon squadrons on both sides. I love the two main characters, and their dynamic is really sweet! The rider, Captain Laurence of Great Britain, and his dragon, Temertaire, are the main features, with Laurence being the POV.

A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan - I literally just finished reading the first book, and the main character, Isabella Camherst, spoke volumes to my scientifically-inclined, dragon-loving self. If you are someone like that, you may really appreciate this book. It is set in a different world than Earth but that is very similar to Western standards in the 1800s. The main character and a crew of three other people go on a hunt to observe dragons in their natural habitat, while solving mysteries from around the local town all the while.

Hope these are some good recommendations for you guys!
extra-birb.png Divider-v-96.png nBUwvfz.png
tyEuRXe.png
Tl1dGxE.png
weia2aX.png Divider-v-96.png
I know someone else mentioned it, but I recently finished reading Uzumaki by Junji Ito and I quite enjoyed it!

This next one isn't fiction, but it's still fun. The book is "What If?" by Randall Munroe (you may recognize him from his XKCD comics). I like the presentation of actual science behind absurd hypothetical situations.
I know someone else mentioned it, but I recently finished reading Uzumaki by Junji Ito and I quite enjoyed it!

This next one isn't fiction, but it's still fun. The book is "What If?" by Randall Munroe (you may recognize him from his XKCD comics). I like the presentation of actual science behind absurd hypothetical situations.
courier new font my beloved
The Unwind series by Neal Shusterman are really good-
The Unwind series by Neal Shusterman are really good-
Koresh.png

go check them out :] ^
The most recent series i binged was The Murderbot Diaries by Martha Wells. It's currently 4 short novellas and 1 novel and I absolutely love it. It's a sci-fi action series about a very sarcastic security robot who struggles with anxiety and wants nothing more than to be left alone and watch his favorite tv shows, but is constantly getting dragged into drama and adventure. Honestly one of my top favorite series.
The most recent series i binged was The Murderbot Diaries by Martha Wells. It's currently 4 short novellas and 1 novel and I absolutely love it. It's a sci-fi action series about a very sarcastic security robot who struggles with anxiety and wants nothing more than to be left alone and watch his favorite tv shows, but is constantly getting dragged into drama and adventure. Honestly one of my top favorite series.
FR + 3
[quote name="Storm121" date="2021-01-25 13:55:59" ] Temeraire by Naomi Novik - I have only read the first three books in this series, but I think there's around 7 or so. It takes place during the Napoleonic Wars, but with the addition of dragon squadrons on both sides. I love the two main characters, and their dynamic is really sweet! The rider, Captain Laurence of Great Britain, and his dragon, Temertaire, are the main features, with Laurence being the POV.0 [/quote] Gah, this one has been sitting on my shelf for a while now and I have yet to get to it! Need to hop on that sooner than later [quote name="killerofchickens" date="2021-01-25 15:10:15" ] The most recent series i binged was The Murderbot Diaries by Martha Wells. It's currently 4 short novellas and 1 novel and I absolutely love it. It's a sci-fi action series about a very sarcastic security robot who struggles with anxiety and wants nothing more than to be left alone and watch his favorite tv shows, but is constantly getting dragged into drama and adventure. Honestly one of my top favorite series. [/quote] I'm interested in Wells' Books of the Raksura series. Have you read that one? If so, what do you think of it
Storm121 wrote on 2021-01-25 13:55:59:
Temeraire by Naomi Novik - I have only read the first three books in this series, but I think there's around 7 or so. It takes place during the Napoleonic Wars, but with the addition of dragon squadrons on both sides. I love the two main characters, and their dynamic is really sweet! The rider, Captain Laurence of Great Britain, and his dragon, Temertaire, are the main features, with Laurence being the POV.0

Gah, this one has been sitting on my shelf for a while now and I have yet to get to it! Need to hop on that sooner than later
killerofchickens wrote on 2021-01-25 15:10:15:

I'm interested in Wells' Books of the Raksura series. Have you read that one? If so, what do you think of it
CC-logo-90x50.png

FR time+0
Hatchery
the book i've most recently read that's really captivated my interest the most would be the fowl twins by eoin colfer. it's the sequel series to the artemis fowl series, also by eoin colfer, and yes, it is very much an aimed at 10-12 year olds book, but it's also just fun.

it's not meant to be taken seriously really, and the writing just does a really good job of making all these over-powered characters and inane plots good. it's a bit lighter than artemis fowl (or at least from what i remember of ** and from what i've read of ft so far), but still very good in my opinion, and worth checking out if you want a quick fun read.

-

also, the welcome to night vale novel by joseph fink and jeffery cranor. it's a bit darker, and has a very dream-like, eldritch quality to it. it's based off a podcast of the same name (which i also highly recommend) and follows a couple of the more minor characters from the podcast.

in the town of night vale, every conspiracy theory is true. secret police are always watching, there's a 'dog park' that you should definitely not go to, look at, or even think about, and a faceless old lady who secretly lives in your home. it's so surreal and weird, full of odd humor and suspense. one of my favorite books by far, i highly recommend it, as well as the podcast itself and the other novels (which i have yet to read, but presume they're just as good.)
the book i've most recently read that's really captivated my interest the most would be the fowl twins by eoin colfer. it's the sequel series to the artemis fowl series, also by eoin colfer, and yes, it is very much an aimed at 10-12 year olds book, but it's also just fun.

it's not meant to be taken seriously really, and the writing just does a really good job of making all these over-powered characters and inane plots good. it's a bit lighter than artemis fowl (or at least from what i remember of ** and from what i've read of ft so far), but still very good in my opinion, and worth checking out if you want a quick fun read.

-

also, the welcome to night vale novel by joseph fink and jeffery cranor. it's a bit darker, and has a very dream-like, eldritch quality to it. it's based off a podcast of the same name (which i also highly recommend) and follows a couple of the more minor characters from the podcast.

in the town of night vale, every conspiracy theory is true. secret police are always watching, there's a 'dog park' that you should definitely not go to, look at, or even think about, and a faceless old lady who secretly lives in your home. it's so surreal and weird, full of odd humor and suspense. one of my favorite books by far, i highly recommend it, as well as the podcast itself and the other novels (which i have yet to read, but presume they're just as good.)
} pings encouraged! i'm subbed to a lot of threads {

} check out my avatar dragon! {

} i forget things easily, please ping/PM me if i haven't responded in a few days {
i have my issues with the warriors series (namely the authors and their nasty habit of victim blaming) but god, i ADORE goosefeather's curse. it's the only warriors book that i want a physical copy of, because wow the book hits hard if you have any form of religious trauma yourself

no wonder goose is as grumpy as he is, dang
i have my issues with the warriors series (namely the authors and their nasty habit of victim blaming) but god, i ADORE goosefeather's curse. it's the only warriors book that i want a physical copy of, because wow the book hits hard if you have any form of religious trauma yourself

no wonder goose is as grumpy as he is, dang
The Fablehaven/Dragonwatch series are really dear to me, although I need to reread the former since I can barely remember what happened in it... ^^" I just finished the fourth book of the second series, I'm not sure when he's releasing the fifth, but I can't wait!
The Fablehaven/Dragonwatch series are really dear to me, although I need to reread the former since I can barely remember what happened in it... ^^" I just finished the fourth book of the second series, I'm not sure when he's releasing the fifth, but I can't wait!
red lizard from rain world

» Formerly Ceruleanfire, Springfire
» She/Her
» +2 FR Time || Pings welcome!
I collect a CYOA series I had when I was young.
The book series is called Lone Wolf by Joe Dever and they got me through so many road trips as a kid. I had the series, lost it. Bought the series again. It got stolen and now here I am again trying to get a complete collection again...
I collect a CYOA series I had when I was young.
The book series is called Lone Wolf by Joe Dever and they got me through so many road trips as a kid. I had the series, lost it. Bought the series again. It got stolen and now here I am again trying to get a complete collection again...
Y3kY2LN.png
i used to read like several books a week, but in the last few years i've pretty much stopped reading... until very recently, i picked up two books because i am so incredibly into greek mythology. i finished circe a few weeks ago and i've just started song of achilles and MAN. i know you said you want to hear us gush but don't even get me started....... i'd highly recommend both of those books if you're invested as me or just remotely curious about greek mythology.
i used to read like several books a week, but in the last few years i've pretty much stopped reading... until very recently, i picked up two books because i am so incredibly into greek mythology. i finished circe a few weeks ago and i've just started song of achilles and MAN. i know you said you want to hear us gush but don't even get me started....... i'd highly recommend both of those books if you're invested as me or just remotely curious about greek mythology.
Feline Triskull - alyssa
- they/she/he
- art (instagram link)
- wishlist
- profile dragon
1 2 3 4 5