Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | real neat books you've read?
1 2 3 4 5
Since I went on a tangent there I might as well gush about books I love here!

Coraline remains a huge favorite of mine. Though it's written rather simply, it never talks down to anybody and I believe anyone can enjoy it. Which is to say nothing of the movie, which is different, but still one of the best adaptations of a book I've ever seen. But this isn't about the movie, the book is unsettling, sweet, and just a good read if you want something spooky but are too much of a weenie for most horror.

---

I would recommend His Majesty's Dragon to anyone who likes a good dragon book. Basically it's a rewrite of history, specifically during the Napoleonic Wars, to include dragon riders. And the dragon character is written SO freakin good. That's honestly one of my biggest gripes with dragon related media, the dragon is sometimes just relegated to a sidekick, but Temeraire has a Lot of personality. I haven't made my way through the entire series yet, but I thought the first book was very nice.

Coraline remains a huge favorite of mine. Though it's written rather simply, it never talks down to anybody and I believe anyone can enjoy it. Which is to say nothing of the movie, which is different, but still one of the best adaptations of a book I've ever seen. But this isn't about the movie, the book is unsettling, sweet, and just a good read if you want something spooky but are too much of a weenie for most horror.

---

I would recommend His Majesty's Dragon to anyone who likes a good dragon book. Basically it's a rewrite of history, specifically during the Napoleonic Wars, to include dragon riders. And the dragon character is written SO freakin good. That's honestly one of my biggest gripes with dragon related media, the dragon is sometimes just relegated to a sidekick, but Temeraire has a Lot of personality. I haven't made my way through the entire series yet, but I thought the first book was very nice.

Only going to pick one book so I do not ramble into eternity. This one is somehow very common yet grossly underrated.

Frankenstein. Even with my obsessive fascination with crazy science and monsters, it just never really appealed to me. Mr. Evil Science Dude and Square-Head-Man didn't grasp my interest. Only with an impulse decision during a small unexpected road-trip/errands did I read it. I was wrong. It is truly one of the best books I've ever read. The main protagonists and antagonist were compelling. The side characters, for the brief moments they appear, were also intriguing. Tons of mythology, literary, and scientific references and themes. The Creature mimics Galatea, Paradise Lost, Prometheus, the Magnum Opus, and more. He is also an extremely poetic speaker with dozens of thought-provoking lines. There are billions of ways to interpret the book. Is this character bad? Good? Neither? All can be argued through the text. But yea, I love my funky goth homunculus-simulacrum dude.

I could make a five-page long list so just please accept a single book before I go rambling on for eternity about my favorite Xenofiction stories. Also seconding Junji Ito's stories (good horror stuff), Watership Down, Shark Wars, Warriors (at the very least the beginning arc), Wings of Fire.

@Snallygaster

Oh YES! Temeraire is a great dragon series. I'm always a bit sad that dragons aren't necessarily popular in media, apart form a very specific mould (hexapod/wyvern) that acts more as a prop than a monster. In fact, that's a problem with monsters in most movies, they are just props and sidekicks. How to Train Your Dragon: the Hidden World, to me, was a good example of brilliant creatures being subjected to props. Also keep going with the Temeraire series. At first, the dragon designs are more traditional. But some of the dragons get more creative as time goes on. Also the worldbuilding is pretty sweet, considering the exploration of how dragons could alter history.
Only going to pick one book so I do not ramble into eternity. This one is somehow very common yet grossly underrated.

Frankenstein. Even with my obsessive fascination with crazy science and monsters, it just never really appealed to me. Mr. Evil Science Dude and Square-Head-Man didn't grasp my interest. Only with an impulse decision during a small unexpected road-trip/errands did I read it. I was wrong. It is truly one of the best books I've ever read. The main protagonists and antagonist were compelling. The side characters, for the brief moments they appear, were also intriguing. Tons of mythology, literary, and scientific references and themes. The Creature mimics Galatea, Paradise Lost, Prometheus, the Magnum Opus, and more. He is also an extremely poetic speaker with dozens of thought-provoking lines. There are billions of ways to interpret the book. Is this character bad? Good? Neither? All can be argued through the text. But yea, I love my funky goth homunculus-simulacrum dude.

I could make a five-page long list so just please accept a single book before I go rambling on for eternity about my favorite Xenofiction stories. Also seconding Junji Ito's stories (good horror stuff), Watership Down, Shark Wars, Warriors (at the very least the beginning arc), Wings of Fire.

@Snallygaster

Oh YES! Temeraire is a great dragon series. I'm always a bit sad that dragons aren't necessarily popular in media, apart form a very specific mould (hexapod/wyvern) that acts more as a prop than a monster. In fact, that's a problem with monsters in most movies, they are just props and sidekicks. How to Train Your Dragon: the Hidden World, to me, was a good example of brilliant creatures being subjected to props. Also keep going with the Temeraire series. At first, the dragon designs are more traditional. But some of the dragons get more creative as time goes on. Also the worldbuilding is pretty sweet, considering the exploration of how dragons could alter history.
Call me Requacy (Pinging Allowed!)(Note to self: Make art for signature)
It's been a while since I've obsessively recommended it, but Tales from the Inner City by Shaun Tan. It's a collection of short stories each inspired by a certain animal in some urban setting, and is characterized by a sort of...elevated realism. The longest one is about a bunch of kids catching fish in the sky because the only water in the city is dirty, so the only place for the fish to swim is obviously in the air! It's a WONDERFUL collection, and while I don't love a couple stories, I think the vast majority convey truly beautiful emotion and make one really think about how things are. Legally, I think it classifies as YA, but it's kind of a picture book? I mean, there are pictures, multiple full spread paintings. Pigeon, Tiger, ad Bear are probably my favorites, but I first got the book two years ago on christmas, and when I read the Dog story, I started crying. it's just a good book

tiger, in particular, is one I find myself thinking about a lot these days. (warning under spoiler for reference to current events) there's a tiger that will kill you, at some point. in order to avoid it, one must wear a mask on the back of their head, which will confuse the tiger enough to keep it at bay. however, many people forgo wearing the mask because "perhaps, like all the best safety precautions, it achieves no perceptible result, and thus is mistaken for not working at all". not a 1:1 obviously, but it does make me go Hmm

I also really love tales from outer suburbia, and I still think Distant Rain (a story from that book) is INCOMPARABLY beautiful. it is a thing of ART yes I love the works of shaun tan
It's been a while since I've obsessively recommended it, but Tales from the Inner City by Shaun Tan. It's a collection of short stories each inspired by a certain animal in some urban setting, and is characterized by a sort of...elevated realism. The longest one is about a bunch of kids catching fish in the sky because the only water in the city is dirty, so the only place for the fish to swim is obviously in the air! It's a WONDERFUL collection, and while I don't love a couple stories, I think the vast majority convey truly beautiful emotion and make one really think about how things are. Legally, I think it classifies as YA, but it's kind of a picture book? I mean, there are pictures, multiple full spread paintings. Pigeon, Tiger, ad Bear are probably my favorites, but I first got the book two years ago on christmas, and when I read the Dog story, I started crying. it's just a good book

tiger, in particular, is one I find myself thinking about a lot these days. (warning under spoiler for reference to current events) there's a tiger that will kill you, at some point. in order to avoid it, one must wear a mask on the back of their head, which will confuse the tiger enough to keep it at bay. however, many people forgo wearing the mask because "perhaps, like all the best safety precautions, it achieves no perceptible result, and thus is mistaken for not working at all". not a 1:1 obviously, but it does make me go Hmm

I also really love tales from outer suburbia, and I still think Distant Rain (a story from that book) is INCOMPARABLY beautiful. it is a thing of ART yes I love the works of shaun tan
KHUgIpL.gif sMnKARY.png fK5z2eq.gif
@Requacy

I've been really meaning to get my hands on the rest of the series, but with the local library still closed, I've been putting it off for a bit! Everything about the first book was intriguing to me, historical fiction tied in with fantasy is absolutely one of my favorite genres, but it has to be done right. (I might just take your recommendation for Frankenstein, too. That's another classic that I haven't managed to read yet!) Honestly Temeraire is probably one of my favorite dragon characters, and his relationship with the human was great. It actually felt like he had weight and personality, as opposed to mainly being set dressing for the human character, which the series was actually about don't be fooled. (Looking at you, Inheritance Cycle.)

And I'm SO glad you bring up The Hidden World, as many gripes as I have with that movie (Believe me, I have many), it really did feel like the movie was less about Toothless and the dragons and more about how it impacted the main character, which is ironic considering it Tried to give Toothless his own arc, and it... Didn't work imo. The first one is still one of my favorite movies, though.

But hey, this is a thread about positivity for books! How To Train Your Dragon the book series are great little romps. I think they do the concept they wanted better than the movie did, and honestly we could all use a few more books about dragons.
@Requacy

I've been really meaning to get my hands on the rest of the series, but with the local library still closed, I've been putting it off for a bit! Everything about the first book was intriguing to me, historical fiction tied in with fantasy is absolutely one of my favorite genres, but it has to be done right. (I might just take your recommendation for Frankenstein, too. That's another classic that I haven't managed to read yet!) Honestly Temeraire is probably one of my favorite dragon characters, and his relationship with the human was great. It actually felt like he had weight and personality, as opposed to mainly being set dressing for the human character, which the series was actually about don't be fooled. (Looking at you, Inheritance Cycle.)

And I'm SO glad you bring up The Hidden World, as many gripes as I have with that movie (Believe me, I have many), it really did feel like the movie was less about Toothless and the dragons and more about how it impacted the main character, which is ironic considering it Tried to give Toothless his own arc, and it... Didn't work imo. The first one is still one of my favorite movies, though.

But hey, this is a thread about positivity for books! How To Train Your Dragon the book series are great little romps. I think they do the concept they wanted better than the movie did, and honestly we could all use a few more books about dragons.
@Snallygaster

It's really good! Well-executed speculative historical fiction is really good. It's really enjoyable to find an outrageous prompt, and actually research how history would react to it. (Huzzah! The purple prose might be a bit off-putting, but it's good. I recommend an unedited version of the 1818 edition, personally. But both are great.) Temeraire, I love him so much. He has likes, dislikes, ideals, and friendships. He is a character. He is not simply a mount for Laurence to ride on. He also isn't just a human-in-scaly-clothes, he feels like a dragon too. I love him so dearly, and you will get to meet more amazing dragon characters soon! (*Cough*)

Agreed. I had many different issues with that movie, but I think that was the most egregious. The thing about dragons is that, by their nature, they are important and wild. Dragons can be feathered, furry, scaly, chitinous, but they all must be important. By removing that, the dragons just become props. That, in turn, made the entire premise of the movie fall apart. Even Toothless felt less like an intelligent, powerful character and more a caricature of a dog (and dogs actually have personalities, which is a shame). The first movie, alongside Jurassic Park, is probably my favorite movie of all time.

Yeah! The How To Train Your Dragon book series is amazing! It balances seriousness and the whimsy. All of the dragons are wonderfully creative and imagine. Most importantly, the finale makes sense with the rest of the story. It all ties together well, and while it ultimately ends on a bittersweet note, you feel fulfilled by the end.

We all need more dragon books. It has been my quest since childhood to read every book about dragons and, call me greedy, but I want more.
@Snallygaster

It's really good! Well-executed speculative historical fiction is really good. It's really enjoyable to find an outrageous prompt, and actually research how history would react to it. (Huzzah! The purple prose might be a bit off-putting, but it's good. I recommend an unedited version of the 1818 edition, personally. But both are great.) Temeraire, I love him so much. He has likes, dislikes, ideals, and friendships. He is a character. He is not simply a mount for Laurence to ride on. He also isn't just a human-in-scaly-clothes, he feels like a dragon too. I love him so dearly, and you will get to meet more amazing dragon characters soon! (*Cough*)

Agreed. I had many different issues with that movie, but I think that was the most egregious. The thing about dragons is that, by their nature, they are important and wild. Dragons can be feathered, furry, scaly, chitinous, but they all must be important. By removing that, the dragons just become props. That, in turn, made the entire premise of the movie fall apart. Even Toothless felt less like an intelligent, powerful character and more a caricature of a dog (and dogs actually have personalities, which is a shame). The first movie, alongside Jurassic Park, is probably my favorite movie of all time.

Yeah! The How To Train Your Dragon book series is amazing! It balances seriousness and the whimsy. All of the dragons are wonderfully creative and imagine. Most importantly, the finale makes sense with the rest of the story. It all ties together well, and while it ultimately ends on a bittersweet note, you feel fulfilled by the end.

We all need more dragon books. It has been my quest since childhood to read every book about dragons and, call me greedy, but I want more.
Call me Requacy (Pinging Allowed!)(Note to self: Make art for signature)
@dmoney
Ngl the Shadowhunter series (i've never really watched the show but i've read almost all the books) is what got me into all those mythical creatures, and got me into drawing those types of things. I should watch the show, i've heard its good ^^ My fav book out of them either has to be the Bane Chronicles, Book 6 of the First Series, or Lady Midnight. ^^
@dmoney
Ngl the Shadowhunter series (i've never really watched the show but i've read almost all the books) is what got me into all those mythical creatures, and got me into drawing those types of things. I should watch the show, i've heard its good ^^ My fav book out of them either has to be the Bane Chronicles, Book 6 of the First Series, or Lady Midnight. ^^
754FFF91-4E22-46B4-BC8F-0DF6C76E370E.png
I'm currently reading Piranesi by Susanna Collins. I've seriously enjoyed it as well as her other book Jonathan Strange & Mr Norell. That one's in a genre that's really not my cup of tea (Historical Fiction/Fantasy) and Piranesi is about one step to the left of my favorite genre. Her writing is so engaging that it hasn't mattered. I'm excited to read Mexican Gothic by Sylvia Moreno-Garcia and Luminous Dead by Caitlin Starling next! I love gothic/horror/psychological. [edit]: [quote name="Snallygaster" date="2020-12-23 13:33:20" ] Since I went on a tangent there I might as well gush about books I love here! Coraline remains a huge favorite of mine. Though it's written rather simply, it never talks down to anybody and I believe anyone can enjoy it. Which is to say nothing of the movie, which is different, but still one of the best adaptations of a book I've ever seen. But this isn't about the movie, the book is unsettling, sweet, and just a good read if you want something spooky but are too much of a weenie for most horror.[/quote] Coraline was my very first horror book! It has a special place in my heart.
I'm currently reading Piranesi by Susanna Collins.

I've seriously enjoyed it as well as her other book Jonathan Strange & Mr Norell. That one's in a genre that's really not my cup of tea (Historical Fiction/Fantasy) and Piranesi is about one step to the left of my favorite genre. Her writing is so engaging that it hasn't mattered.

I'm excited to read Mexican Gothic by Sylvia Moreno-Garcia and Luminous Dead by Caitlin Starling next! I love gothic/horror/psychological.

[edit]:
Snallygaster wrote on 2020-12-23 13:33:20:

Coraline was my very first horror book! It has a special place in my heart.
LklXAGK.png
The Davinci Code is amazing! lots of twists and turns and just overall super well written
The Davinci Code is amazing! lots of twists and turns and just overall super well written
+2 FR time
he/they
@RheoTastic I absolutely adore Shaun Tan's work! I was lucky enough to be able to visit an exhibit of his original oil paintings from Tales from the Inner City and they were just stunning! I haven't actually had a chance to read the book yet but I'm looking forward to doing so.

Have you read his book The Arrival? It's told entirely in pictures without words but I found it very moving and the art is lovely.
@RheoTastic I absolutely adore Shaun Tan's work! I was lucky enough to be able to visit an exhibit of his original oil paintings from Tales from the Inner City and they were just stunning! I haven't actually had a chance to read the book yet but I'm looking forward to doing so.

Have you read his book The Arrival? It's told entirely in pictures without words but I found it very moving and the art is lovely.
kjallabaiarmssig.png spiral_capricat.png
the last book that i thoroughly enjoyed was Larry McMutry's western Lonesome Dove.

idk man westerns give me serotonin but this particular one feels different. this book didnt feel like a fiction. highly recommend if ur into old west adventures. it does have some gore-y scenes and quite a bit of graphic stuff/violence but it is a western but the story is also set in around 1870s america so... but despite all that there are some comedic parts and a lot of calming scenes. the book really showed consistent themes, sublty and right in your face. it felt honest. also there is so much in this book that i could talk about aughaugaughsudhfadhuflkj

also i felt like the beginning was a bit slow but things really sped up right after that. its around 950 pages so it is quite a read. but it was absolutely worth it in the end.

i finished it like three months ago and sometimes i still think about it.
it also had a television series but i havent watched it yet, and theres also 3 more books in this series. this book made me question a lot of things about life lol
10/10
the last book that i thoroughly enjoyed was Larry McMutry's western Lonesome Dove.

idk man westerns give me serotonin but this particular one feels different. this book didnt feel like a fiction. highly recommend if ur into old west adventures. it does have some gore-y scenes and quite a bit of graphic stuff/violence but it is a western but the story is also set in around 1870s america so... but despite all that there are some comedic parts and a lot of calming scenes. the book really showed consistent themes, sublty and right in your face. it felt honest. also there is so much in this book that i could talk about aughaugaughsudhfadhuflkj

also i felt like the beginning was a bit slow but things really sped up right after that. its around 950 pages so it is quite a read. but it was absolutely worth it in the end.

i finished it like three months ago and sometimes i still think about it.
it also had a television series but i havent watched it yet, and theres also 3 more books in this series. this book made me question a lot of things about life lol
10/10
JvT6zxD.png
frt +16
1 2 3 4 5