Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Horrible books you've read?
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17 18
[quote name="Madarakita" date="2020-12-15 20:24:31"

In that vein, I'd like to submit The Dark Nest trilogy as being some of the worst Star Wars I've read. You don't get much more absurd than "Han and Leia's kids along with their friends are kidnapped by giant ants and forced to do mating dances around a campfire."
[/quote]
I refuse to comprehend that this is a trilogy.
[quote name="Madarakita" date="2020-12-15 20:24:31"

In that vein, I'd like to submit The Dark Nest trilogy as being some of the worst Star Wars I've read. You don't get much more absurd than "Han and Leia's kids along with their friends are kidnapped by giant ants and forced to do mating dances around a campfire."
[/quote]
I7a1ndF.pngOxagJgG.pngWBC5JG3.pngwOEIAes.png
a book i was forced to read for english sophomore year was called Never Let Me Go
it's a book about clones being made to be harvested for their organs
and it's supposed to be about dehumanization
but eugh, not only was it poorly executed and i wasn't invested at all, the amount of times the you know what act was brought out of the blue was disgusting
a book i was forced to read for english sophomore year was called Never Let Me Go
it's a book about clones being made to be harvested for their organs
and it's supposed to be about dehumanization
but eugh, not only was it poorly executed and i wasn't invested at all, the amount of times the you know what act was brought out of the blue was disgusting
TeMkEVX.png
GPbVPRP.png Shamura
1OX9mEs.gif any pronouns
1OX9mEs.gif FR time +0
1OX9mEs.gif Abe love ♥
1OX9mEs.gifAvatar dragon
sqaur.png FxIG1mZ.gif For DRS: I have more dragons in the hibden
1OX9mEs.gif For IKTR: my fandragons are here
1OX9mEs.gif Robots are peak character design
1OX9mEs.gif goatlings
1OX9mEs.gif Play ISAT pleaaaase
@SunnySerina
I mean that's not the entirety of it, but that's still the part that sticks out to me the most in the spirit of "oh god what am I even reading right now?"

Other elements of it included time travel and Luke using Sith lightning because he was trying out some sort of "well the Force is neutral it only matters whether you use it for good or evil" line of thought.

Also it turns into one of those "all of these problems would be solved if the parties would try communicating instead of just shooting" scenarios.
@SunnySerina
I mean that's not the entirety of it, but that's still the part that sticks out to me the most in the spirit of "oh god what am I even reading right now?"

Other elements of it included time travel and Luke using Sith lightning because he was trying out some sort of "well the Force is neutral it only matters whether you use it for good or evil" line of thought.

Also it turns into one of those "all of these problems would be solved if the parties would try communicating instead of just shooting" scenarios.
frsiggy1.pngfrsiggy2.pngfrsiggy3.png
I agree that One Hundred Years of Solitude is appalling. I had to read it as a sophomore in high school, and I hated it. Brutal and gross. I'm sure that's the whole point, but reading shouldn't make you want to vomit.
I agree that One Hundred Years of Solitude is appalling. I had to read it as a sophomore in high school, and I hated it. Brutal and gross. I'm sure that's the whole point, but reading shouldn't make you want to vomit.
[quote name="Madarakita" date="2020-12-15 20:24:31" ] In that vein, I'd like to submit The Dark Nest trilogy as being some of the worst Star Wars I've read. You don't get much more absurd than "Han and Leia's kids along with their friends are kidnapped by giant ants and forced to do mating dances around a campfire." [/quote] [quote name="sunnySerina" date="2020-12-15 20:29:10" ] I refuse to comprehend that this is a trilogy. [/quote] @Madarakita @sunnySerina I didn't mind the general concept, but it was just so badly handled. The idea of the pheromones and minor telepathic persuasion, sure, not any weirder than anything else in a setting with Force ghosts. But it was just so bizarre how things played out. [quote name="Madarakita" date="2020-12-15 20:58:56" ] Other elements of it included time travel and Luke using Sith lightning because he was trying out some sort of "well the Force is neutral it only matters whether you use it for good or evil" line of thought. [/quote] The flow walking thing was a mistake. I hated that so much. I did like the essential time travel of a book from around that time with a damaged Sith ship that didn't quite make it into the hyperspace window, and in the few minutes that passed for them, 5000 years passed outside. At least that made a kind of sense and was only a forward leap, not a cross time communication with someone in the future or projecting into the past.
Madarakita wrote on 2020-12-15 20:24:31:
sunnySerina wrote on 2020-12-15 20:29:10:

@Madarakita
@sunnySerina

I didn't mind the general concept, but it was just so badly handled. The idea of the pheromones and minor telepathic persuasion, sure, not any weirder than anything else in a setting with Force ghosts. But it was just so bizarre how things played out.
Madarakita wrote on 2020-12-15 20:58:56:

The flow walking thing was a mistake. I hated that so much. I did like the essential time travel of a book from around that time with a damaged Sith ship that didn't quite make it into the hyperspace window, and in the few minutes that passed for them, 5000 years passed outside. At least that made a kind of sense and was only a forward leap, not a cross time communication with someone in the future or projecting into the past.
Formerly known as Brenning.
Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, it was lesbiphobic and horrible but at least to a point where it was funny
Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, it was lesbiphobic and horrible but at least to a point where it was funny
image0.gif
Here I am to say the Claire De Lune novels that I’m reading, so far, are quite terrible.
Please imagine the most basic American white cis girl possible. She isn’t even described so to me she looks like the girl from Clueless. She lives in a world where werewolves are a thing, sort of like man-eating animals or the ghouls from Tokyo Ghoul if you know it. A werewolf has been eating people in her little hometown, where she lives in a huge mansion with her mother and one servant. I forgot to say she’s rich, well now you know.

It’s her sixteenth birthday. She’s in love with some cute blond named Matthew. Her mom hates his dad because of his aggressive anti-werewolf stance. Gee, I wonder why that could be?

And then Claire(yeah like “Claire de Lune”) finds out she’s a werewolf. Traditionally it’s only revealed when you’re sixteen when you start to transform(apparently). Her mom takes her into the woods to meet the group of lady werewolves that live in her town. They greet each other, Avatar-style(“I see you.”) and do rituals, and kill a deer to eat. Because werewolves. Up to this point I’ve found the book flat but amusing.

You know that brand of feminism that’s super generic and boring? This book is that. Basic white people straight people feminism. Werewolves can only be female. They are an all-female species, so they claim. They reproduce with human men but don’t believe in keeping up a relationship with them. A male fetus cannot survive it’s mother’s transformation(which must happen once a month) and so cannot be carried to term. At this point I am mad. Why? Why this incredibly stupid thing? It makes sense I suppose, but ??? The most cishet thing possible(and I am a cishet, dang it!).

It’s just so “I’m not like other girls”. She’s depicted as being “not like other girls”, even from the start, oh she’s sensitive, and shy, she can’t hide her feelings. Not like all these “popular girls” around her. And of course she’s part of an ancient all-female race of werewolves(who are French for some reason? Even though it’s established that they exist in all cultures?) who shun human relationships except to continue the proud wolf-woman line. I dunno, it’s like wolf amazons or something.

Kinda makes me want to write about a transmasc werewolf in this environment because damn, it’s a pretty transphobic(and straight-up androphobic) environment to grow up in. Oh but I said I’m cis so I can’t write it but... hmm personal work never to see the light of day perhaps. I’m rambling.

If you’re not a fan of biological essentialism, don’t read Christine Johnson’s Claire de Lune books.
Here I am to say the Claire De Lune novels that I’m reading, so far, are quite terrible.
Please imagine the most basic American white cis girl possible. She isn’t even described so to me she looks like the girl from Clueless. She lives in a world where werewolves are a thing, sort of like man-eating animals or the ghouls from Tokyo Ghoul if you know it. A werewolf has been eating people in her little hometown, where she lives in a huge mansion with her mother and one servant. I forgot to say she’s rich, well now you know.

It’s her sixteenth birthday. She’s in love with some cute blond named Matthew. Her mom hates his dad because of his aggressive anti-werewolf stance. Gee, I wonder why that could be?

And then Claire(yeah like “Claire de Lune”) finds out she’s a werewolf. Traditionally it’s only revealed when you’re sixteen when you start to transform(apparently). Her mom takes her into the woods to meet the group of lady werewolves that live in her town. They greet each other, Avatar-style(“I see you.”) and do rituals, and kill a deer to eat. Because werewolves. Up to this point I’ve found the book flat but amusing.

You know that brand of feminism that’s super generic and boring? This book is that. Basic white people straight people feminism. Werewolves can only be female. They are an all-female species, so they claim. They reproduce with human men but don’t believe in keeping up a relationship with them. A male fetus cannot survive it’s mother’s transformation(which must happen once a month) and so cannot be carried to term. At this point I am mad. Why? Why this incredibly stupid thing? It makes sense I suppose, but ??? The most cishet thing possible(and I am a cishet, dang it!).

It’s just so “I’m not like other girls”. She’s depicted as being “not like other girls”, even from the start, oh she’s sensitive, and shy, she can’t hide her feelings. Not like all these “popular girls” around her. And of course she’s part of an ancient all-female race of werewolves(who are French for some reason? Even though it’s established that they exist in all cultures?) who shun human relationships except to continue the proud wolf-woman line. I dunno, it’s like wolf amazons or something.

Kinda makes me want to write about a transmasc werewolf in this environment because damn, it’s a pretty transphobic(and straight-up androphobic) environment to grow up in. Oh but I said I’m cis so I can’t write it but... hmm personal work never to see the light of day perhaps. I’m rambling.

If you’re not a fan of biological essentialism, don’t read Christine Johnson’s Claire de Lune books.
7eb73ea7ba19f787490a57822f0ee4885760d03e.png
[quote name="deztora" date="2020-12-15 12:51:56" ] Ever read anything by Dean Koontz? Don't. [/quote] Seconded. I've heard some of his earlier books are alright, but I read [i]Relentless[/i]. Regret.
deztora wrote on 2020-12-15 12:51:56:
Ever read anything by Dean Koontz?

Don't.

Seconded. I've heard some of his earlier books are alright, but I read Relentless. Regret.
LklXAGK.png
[quote name="Oceanas" date="2020-12-19 11:01:19" ] [quote name="deztora" date="2020-12-15 12:51:56" ] Ever read anything by Dean Koontz? Don't. [/quote] Seconded. I've heard some of his earlier books are alright, but I read [i]Relentless[/i]. Regret. [/quote][font=American Gothic][size=4]I found a bit of some of his [i]Frankenstein[/i] books online out curiosity and [i]nope.[/i]
Oceanas wrote on 2020-12-19 11:01:19:

Don't.

Seconded. I've heard some of his earlier books are alright, but I read Relentless. Regret.
I found a bit of some of his Frankenstein books online out curiosity and nope.
Call me Requacy (Pinging Allowed!)(Note to self: Make art for signature)
[quote name="Oceanas" date="2020-12-19 11:01:19" ] [quote name="deztora" date="2020-12-15 12:51:56" ] Ever read anything by Dean Koontz? Don't. [/quote] Seconded. I've heard some of his earlier books are alright, but I read [i]Relentless[/i]. Regret. [/quote] Thirded by someone who also had the displeasure of reading [i]Relentless[/i].
Oceanas wrote on 2020-12-19 11:01:19:

Don't.

Thirded by someone who also had the displeasure of reading Relentless.
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17 18