Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | [HUB] Wings of Fire
1 2 ... 132 133 134 135 136 ... 152 153
[quote name="TruthseekerSky6" date="2021-04-20 10:45:12" ] [quote name="saltypie" date="2021-04-20 08:23:05" ] Well I mean, language isn't a huge issue. Language truly is just different tones and noises strawn together to make sentences. There's even a whole language of just whistling, I'm sure growls and chirps would be no different. [/quote] Oh, language most definitely isn’t just a bunch of “tones and noises”. My brother is freaking obsessed with linguistics (the study of language, it’s a whole field) and he is always talking about cases and conjugation and grammatical evolution and stuff I don’t know about. [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whistled_language]Things that sound nifty on the surface are actually much deeper when you actually start digging.[/url] You can’t make a language just by stringing nonsense syllables together. [/quote] True true, grammar is important too Also the fact that a lot of languages are similar to others, or have roots from different languages. That's why the fact that the humans speak English is weird, since English is a mix of Latin + Greek + Anglo-saxon, but eh
TruthseekerSky6 wrote on 2021-04-20 10:45:12:
saltypie wrote on 2021-04-20 08:23:05:
Well I mean, language isn't a huge issue. Language truly is just different tones and noises strawn together to make sentences. There's even a whole language of just whistling, I'm sure growls and chirps would be no different.
Oh, language most definitely isn’t just a bunch of “tones and noises”. My brother is freaking obsessed with linguistics (the study of language, it’s a whole field) and he is always talking about cases and conjugation and grammatical evolution and stuff I don’t know about. Things that sound nifty on the surface are actually much deeper when you actually start digging. You can’t make a language just by stringing nonsense syllables together.
True true, grammar is important too

Also the fact that a lot of languages are similar to others, or have roots from different languages. That's why the fact that the humans speak English is weird, since English is a mix of Latin + Greek + Anglo-saxon, but eh
Smoky-Bantam-Fangar.png ~call me Amethyst!
~she/her
~straight
~Fr+3
~check out this super cool hatchery!
~and this other cool subspecies!
~Idk
~Every day I play a game online where you dress up overgrown lizards. Oh wait...
[quote name="AmethystSeaWing" date="2021-04-20 11:45:07" ] [quote name="TruthseekerSky6" date="2021-04-20 10:45:12" ] [quote name="saltypie" date="2021-04-20 08:23:05" ] Well I mean, language isn't a huge issue. Language truly is just different tones and noises strawn together to make sentences. There's even a whole language of just whistling, I'm sure growls and chirps would be no different. [/quote] Oh, language most definitely isn’t just a bunch of “tones and noises”. My brother is freaking obsessed with linguistics (the study of language, it’s a whole field) and he is always talking about cases and conjugation and grammatical evolution and stuff I don’t know about. [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whistled_language]Things that sound nifty on the surface are actually much deeper when you actually start digging.[/url] You can’t make a language just by stringing nonsense syllables together. [/quote] True true, grammar is important too Also the fact that a lot of languages are similar to others, or have roots from different languages. That's why the fact that the humans speak English is weird, since English is a mix of Latin + Greek + Anglo-saxon, but eh [/quote] Yeah, my brother says English is a linguist’s nightmare, chock full of weird pronunciations, grammar rules, etc (see: the fact that we say [i]ran[/i] instead of [i]runned[/i]). [color=transparent][size=1][size=1][size=1]how did this get off topic lol
AmethystSeaWing wrote on 2021-04-20 11:45:07:
Well I mean, language isn't a huge issue. Language truly is just different tones and noises strawn together to make sentences. There's even a whole language of just whistling, I'm sure growls and chirps would be no different.
Oh, language most definitely isn’t just a bunch of “tones and noises”. My brother is freaking obsessed with linguistics (the study of language, it’s a whole field) and he is always talking about cases and conjugation and grammatical evolution and stuff I don’t know about. Things that sound nifty on the surface are actually much deeper when you actually start digging. You can’t make a language just by stringing nonsense syllables together.

Also the fact that a lot of languages are similar to others, or have roots from different languages. That's why the fact that the humans speak English is weird, since English is a mix of Latin + Greek + Anglo-saxon, but eh
Yeah, my brother says English is a linguist’s nightmare, chock full of weird pronunciations, grammar rules, etc (see: the fact that we say ran instead of runned).

how did this get off topic lol
TEIDUqh.gifqZwEAEI.png Qef5UlF.png
yzVHkx9.png
1j6wDhn.png
reHWBXk.png
JvUa9ma.png
27568530-2928-11eb-95d4-432813eda697.gif
Huge Wings of Fire fan, woo!
+++++++++++++++++++
[quote name="TruthseekerSky6" date="2021-04-20 12:00:48" ] [quote name="AmethystSeaWing" date="2021-04-20 11:45:07" ] [quote name="TruthseekerSky6" date="2021-04-20 10:45:12" ] [quote name="saltypie" date="2021-04-20 08:23:05" ] Well I mean, language isn't a huge issue. Language truly is just different tones and noises strawn together to make sentences. There's even a whole language of just whistling, I'm sure growls and chirps would be no different. [/quote] Oh, language most definitely isn’t just a bunch of “tones and noises”. My brother is freaking obsessed with linguistics (the study of language, it’s a whole field) and he is always talking about cases and conjugation and grammatical evolution and stuff I don’t know about. [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whistled_language]Things that sound nifty on the surface are actually much deeper when you actually start digging.[/url] You can’t make a language just by stringing nonsense syllables together. [/quote] True true, grammar is important too Also the fact that a lot of languages are similar to others, or have roots from different languages. That's why the fact that the humans speak English is weird, since English is a mix of Latin + Greek + Anglo-saxon, but eh [/quote] Yeah, my brother says English is a linguist’s nightmare, chock full of weird pronunciations, grammar rules, etc (see: the fact that we say [i]ran[/i] instead of [i]runned[/i]). [color=transparent][size=1][size=1][size=1]how did this get off topic lol [/quote] There are parts of English that are easy to learn, for instance the fact that we only have one word for "the" while some languages have dozens, and the fact that are verbs conjugate very easily (like how Spanish has six different verb conjugations for just one tense, while English only ever has two or three). It's reading and writing it that's the problem, since we have so many rules and so many words that don't follow those rules. For most languages, you just need to memorize the rule and memorize the exceptions, but for English, they're all exceptions. Sorta. My dad immigrated to the US from Greece and I've been learning two languages for several years (Spanish for four and Greek for six or seven), so I'm sometimes able to look at English from a second language point of view lol
TruthseekerSky6 wrote on 2021-04-20 12:00:48:
AmethystSeaWing wrote on 2021-04-20 11:45:07:

Yeah, my brother says English is a linguist’s nightmare, chock full of weird pronunciations, grammar rules, etc (see: the fact that we say ran instead of runned).

how did this get off topic lol
There are parts of English that are easy to learn, for instance the fact that we only have one word for "the" while some languages have dozens, and the fact that are verbs conjugate very easily (like how Spanish has six different verb conjugations for just one tense, while English only ever has two or three). It's reading and writing it that's the problem, since we have so many rules and so many words that don't follow those rules. For most languages, you just need to memorize the rule and memorize the exceptions, but for English, they're all exceptions. Sorta.

My dad immigrated to the US from Greece and I've been learning two languages for several years (Spanish for four and Greek for six or seven), so I'm sometimes able to look at English from a second language point of view lol
Smoky-Bantam-Fangar.png ~call me Amethyst!
~she/her
~straight
~Fr+3
~check out this super cool hatchery!
~and this other cool subspecies!
~Idk
~Every day I play a game online where you dress up overgrown lizards. Oh wait...
Anyone excited for the Netflix release that just got announced?
yaaas
i still need t read the full article
was a release date dropped?
yaaas
i still need t read the full article
was a release date dropped?
quarry
Kirby-with-headphones.gif
loimysO.pngbYt72YT.pngFvSLVNv.png
e7lpONG.pngz8s5c34.pngJ8zFKyY.png
[quote name="OrdinaryImage" date="2021-04-21 03:37:47" ] Anyone excited for the Netflix release that just got announced? [/quote] Y E S I literally squealed when I saw that the first ten episodes had been green-lit (40 mins. each, too!) No word about the release date yet, though
OrdinaryImage wrote on 2021-04-21 03:37:47:
Y E S
I literally squealed when I saw that the first ten episodes had been green-lit (40 mins. each, too!) No word about the release date yet, though
extra-birb.png Divider-v-96.png nBUwvfz.png
tyEuRXe.png
Tl1dGxE.png
weia2aX.png Divider-v-96.png
WHAAAAAAAAA
WHAAAAAAAAA
Lichtdrache.gif
Yeah, ten forty-minute episodes. It’s going to be available on Netflix. I don’t have high hopes for it, though, seeing as it’s directed by DuVernay (not to anger her fans, but I intensely disliked her work with A Wrinkle in Time).
Yeah, ten forty-minute episodes. It’s going to be available on Netflix. I don’t have high hopes for it, though, seeing as it’s directed by DuVernay (not to anger her fans, but I intensely disliked her work with A Wrinkle in Time).
TEIDUqh.gifqZwEAEI.png Qef5UlF.png
yzVHkx9.png
1j6wDhn.png
reHWBXk.png
JvUa9ma.png
27568530-2928-11eb-95d4-432813eda697.gif
Huge Wings of Fire fan, woo!
+++++++++++++++++++
hgflkbgvnckj here it c o m e s
hgflkbgvnckj here it c o m e s
Jd88XNq.png
sh5xjiu.pngQwz7flm.png
ZKQ6ohh.pngtNgQJvM.pngDgV9RW4.png
gNKHrxH.png1bSJVgF.pngbYt72YT.png
FBhgews.png9qLrp5W.pngRWhZ0Cq.pngaef8eafda28aee269865ab582e14a312ac4c2f3c.png6e97a552d6cb288faaaf054be66db8a44c0e78e9.pngQk0VB5d.png
Wait, there's going to be a Netflix show? :0
Wait, there's going to be a Netflix show? :0
Untitled433_20210801051058.png
WKtl2lb.png
Untitled353_20210801045801.png
°

°
219OsL8.gif Untitled353_20210801045801.png Hey there! I'm Chill/Flora. I use She/Her pronouns.
Gotta fix my sig
very inactive :(
Untitled353_20210801045801.png
Untitled433_20210801051058.png
unknown.png
1 2 ... 132 133 134 135 136 ... 152 153