Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | character development tips?
1 2
im not sure if this goes here or creative corner, so please let me know if its in the wrong spot!

i love designing characters, and giving them really basic personalities and such, but when it comes to getting creative and making them 3d, my mind goes blank. considering i'd love to make a graphic novel game some day, and am making a story for class, i really gotta make these characters Deep and Interesting

so, anyone got tips?? just for brainstorming, or maybe a template or something lol
im not sure if this goes here or creative corner, so please let me know if its in the wrong spot!

i love designing characters, and giving them really basic personalities and such, but when it comes to getting creative and making them 3d, my mind goes blank. considering i'd love to make a graphic novel game some day, and am making a story for class, i really gotta make these characters Deep and Interesting

so, anyone got tips?? just for brainstorming, or maybe a template or something lol
yX4kuNk.png AzWEmYL.png Ray/Python
AzWEmYL.png Any pronouns
AzWEmYL.png+3 FR
AzWEmYL.png#1 ridgeback lover
AzWEmYL.pngOops! All fandragons!
AzWEmYL.pngCurrently has Ace Attorney/AITSF/YTTD brainrot
1SV9sdx.gif
Well, for character development, I suggest starting out with what setting you're putting your characters in. It has to be something that you are passionate about, as other people's Ideas may not fit to your liking. There is tons of different ideas, but you must narrow them down to get great character development. Don't try to rush the development, as the characters may start to feel unlikable and perhaps the character is just a mess of so many things. ((IDK if this will truly help, but what the hecc))
Well, for character development, I suggest starting out with what setting you're putting your characters in. It has to be something that you are passionate about, as other people's Ideas may not fit to your liking. There is tons of different ideas, but you must narrow them down to get great character development. Don't try to rush the development, as the characters may start to feel unlikable and perhaps the character is just a mess of so many things. ((IDK if this will truly help, but what the hecc))
An important thing is to give characters traits that can be both positives and negatives. What I do is write a whole paragraph about their personalities and describe it rather than give each trait a single word. The setting and plot are both good to already have in mind as I use that to then describe their personalities as it helps me have an idea of situations they could end up in. For me, it also is helpful to have multiple characters in mind to include and know how they'll interact with each other, which can help foster ideas of where to take a character and where you want them to end up
An important thing is to give characters traits that can be both positives and negatives. What I do is write a whole paragraph about their personalities and describe it rather than give each trait a single word. The setting and plot are both good to already have in mind as I use that to then describe their personalities as it helps me have an idea of situations they could end up in. For me, it also is helpful to have multiple characters in mind to include and know how they'll interact with each other, which can help foster ideas of where to take a character and where you want them to end up
tq6VrgN.png

Mai/Mat
he/they/it
-Just to get ideas for things to know about your character, typing some variation of 'character sheet' into Pinterest should give a bunch of options.

-One method I've heard for fleshing out a character is imagining how they would react if they were stuck in a broken elevator. Would they get impatient? Would they laugh it off? Panic? How soon? Alone vs. with another person. If you know a general idea of them, put them in situations and think of how they would (or wouldn't) handle it.

-Random little details. Beyond their name, hair color, and place of living, what's their favorite food? A stupid thing they'll never live down? How do they fidget? What's their comfort food (not always the same as favorite food)? They won't fill in for actual personality, but it can help make them feel a bit more like an actual person, or give you ideas for other traits.

-Character flaws are often 'good' traits taken too far. Confidence taken too far can be recklessness or pride. Kindness without any wariness can be easily taken advantage of or misled.
-Just to get ideas for things to know about your character, typing some variation of 'character sheet' into Pinterest should give a bunch of options.

-One method I've heard for fleshing out a character is imagining how they would react if they were stuck in a broken elevator. Would they get impatient? Would they laugh it off? Panic? How soon? Alone vs. with another person. If you know a general idea of them, put them in situations and think of how they would (or wouldn't) handle it.

-Random little details. Beyond their name, hair color, and place of living, what's their favorite food? A stupid thing they'll never live down? How do they fidget? What's their comfort food (not always the same as favorite food)? They won't fill in for actual personality, but it can help make them feel a bit more like an actual person, or give you ideas for other traits.

-Character flaws are often 'good' traits taken too far. Confidence taken too far can be recklessness or pride. Kindness without any wariness can be easily taken advantage of or misled.
med_fish_smol.pngsplish_smol.png
I recommend checking out the F*** Yeah Character Development tumblr. It's really helpful, but I don't think I can link it since the link has the F word in it. Give it a google, it's got a good pool of resources on making well-built characters.
I recommend checking out the F*** Yeah Character Development tumblr. It's really helpful, but I don't think I can link it since the link has the F word in it. Give it a google, it's got a good pool of resources on making well-built characters.
S O K O L
knowledge of comprehension, benevolence, and aesthetics | active | slowly revamping
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xx
ToxrvHn.gif
1. What are they doing in the story?
2. In what context are they doing it?
3. Why are they like this? Is this “normal” behavior for them?
4. Are there specific events that made them that way? What brought them there? Rinse and repeat.

That’s it, that’s my “process” in four steps :D It’s basically an endless cycle of “why this?” until characteristics start to stick, and with enough diligence the character will write themselves. Don’t be afraid of changing “core” traits if you’re just not feelin’ them! You’d be surprised how much can change from early development to what ends up on the page.

Personally, I only find questionnaires useful for the earliest bare bones concepts, and (later) filling out the interview-style ones to nail a character’s voice. Otherwise I think lots of them spend too much space on minutiae like height measurements (your character’s height in the context of their environment is more important than statistics, unless the exact number is somehow notable) and bullet-point flaw lists than the real “meat” of development. But that’s just me, and different things work for different writers!

Oh, and seconding MistLeaf’s point about traits!! For every “flaw” there’s a “good” equivalent and vice versa. It’s about balance, and different contexts can bring out the best and worst sides of one trait—for example, a character who’s extremely patient might do well as a teacher, but less well if it means they give unscrupulous peers more time than it’s worth.

I’ll stop there but I’m very passionate about this, lol; feel free to ping me if you want any Deep Questions and I’m happy to provide >:3c

EDIT: If nothing else, THIS. (@ the original post, idk what the comments are doing but they’re great.) Lovely coincidence, that thread!
1. What are they doing in the story?
2. In what context are they doing it?
3. Why are they like this? Is this “normal” behavior for them?
4. Are there specific events that made them that way? What brought them there? Rinse and repeat.

That’s it, that’s my “process” in four steps :D It’s basically an endless cycle of “why this?” until characteristics start to stick, and with enough diligence the character will write themselves. Don’t be afraid of changing “core” traits if you’re just not feelin’ them! You’d be surprised how much can change from early development to what ends up on the page.

Personally, I only find questionnaires useful for the earliest bare bones concepts, and (later) filling out the interview-style ones to nail a character’s voice. Otherwise I think lots of them spend too much space on minutiae like height measurements (your character’s height in the context of their environment is more important than statistics, unless the exact number is somehow notable) and bullet-point flaw lists than the real “meat” of development. But that’s just me, and different things work for different writers!

Oh, and seconding MistLeaf’s point about traits!! For every “flaw” there’s a “good” equivalent and vice versa. It’s about balance, and different contexts can bring out the best and worst sides of one trait—for example, a character who’s extremely patient might do well as a teacher, but less well if it means they give unscrupulous peers more time than it’s worth.

I’ll stop there but I’m very passionate about this, lol; feel free to ping me if you want any Deep Questions and I’m happy to provide >:3c

EDIT: If nothing else, THIS. (@ the original post, idk what the comments are doing but they’re great.) Lovely coincidence, that thread!
thank you all for the wonderful suggestions! it really helped kickstart me into developing them and future characters :]

@Archaeoraptor i would love some deep questions!! even just to save them later, for when i get that far in development and have an answer :0
thank you all for the wonderful suggestions! it really helped kickstart me into developing them and future characters :]

@Archaeoraptor i would love some deep questions!! even just to save them later, for when i get that far in development and have an answer :0
yX4kuNk.png AzWEmYL.png Ray/Python
AzWEmYL.png Any pronouns
AzWEmYL.png+3 FR
AzWEmYL.png#1 ridgeback lover
AzWEmYL.pngOops! All fandragons!
AzWEmYL.pngCurrently has Ace Attorney/AITSF/YTTD brainrot
1SV9sdx.gif
Or alternatively if you think in a more abstract way, listen to random music till you find one that you think vibes with your character and then develop your of around that keep adding songs till your character is fully developed
Or alternatively if you think in a more abstract way, listen to random music till you find one that you think vibes with your character and then develop your of around that keep adding songs till your character is fully developed
06xk8gV.png
XrUXyrn.gifse5O2Tt.gifpxx5HPD.gif
Believe me, darling
The stars were made for falling
-What random topics would they rant about or cuss out a stranger over the internet for?
-What random topics would they rant about or cuss out a stranger over the internet for?
tgKCVtZ.png
[quote name="PythonVibes" date="2020-10-23 06:55:28" ] @Archaeoraptor i would love some deep questions!! even just to save them later, for when i get that far in development and have an answer :0 [/quote] [i]-cracks knuckles-[/i] (also hope you don’t mind this being bumped 2 days later, whoops) [list][*]Do your character’s strengths and weaknesses match up with what they [i]think[/i] their strengths and weaknesses are? [*]Consider how your character usually interacts with people, in any context in the broadest sense. (Even someone who’s shy in, say, school, might be more sociable when hanging out with friends; maybe they’re polite/considerate in both cases?) Now, what would make them act [i]counter to[/i] that? (Following the “polite” example: “I’m really nice until you annoy me” sure seems to be a common trait.) [*]If you don’t have one (or more) already, what would your character’s foil be like? [*]How do they cope with stress (if at all), short- [i]and[/i] long-term? big and little stressors? If they have go-to methods (meditation? junk food?) where did they pick those up? [*]Personality tests like the MBTI can be fun. Once you get a result, in what ways (if any) does your character [i]not[/i] fit the archetypal result? [*]How have your character’s relationships changed over time? Are there any that are drastically different now than when they met? [*]Similar to the above, was there a point in your character’s life where they’d never believe they are who/where they are today, and vice versa? [*]What would your character’s ideal living space be like? Are they trying to get there, if they’ve thought about it at all? [*]How would your character react to suddenly becoming known for something they like? or [i]don’t[/i] like? (Think going viral, or an equivalent in your setting; maybe they were showing off, maybe they were doing something stupid on a dare.) [*]If their first impression of someone was a trait they don’t like about themselves, how would they react? [*]Your character is asked for a slightly strenuous and/or inconvenient favor, like having to hold a stranger’s luggage. How would they reply to a calm request? a hasty one? What if the stranger hardly asks and just acts like they’re supposed to do it (ex. a gruff demand, otherwise treating them like it’s their job)? [*]What’s their biggest regret? (It doesn’t have to be dramatic; “one time I forgot to wish my friend a happy birthday” can totally count. The surface significance is less important than how much they [i]personally[/i] wish it hadn’t happened; this can tell you a lot about their values!)[/list] Man, I could keep going, but that’s probably a good haul for now C:< You don’t have to answer them all for each character, of course; I tried to make them applicable regardless of setting, but feel free to modify as you see fit. (Also, I honestly wouldn’t be able to answer them all myself off the top of my head; sometimes it’s fun to think of some random question/scenario and run through how your whole lineup would answer/respond.) Oh, and for a bonus round: after going through this or other questionnaires in an objective third-person bio format (or however you default to answering), do a few in [i]your character’s[/i] voice, as if they were being interviewed. If their own answers don’t line up with the truth, why? And can you leverage these discrepancies in the story? Have fun!
PythonVibes wrote on 2020-10-23 06:55:28:

-cracks knuckles- (also hope you don’t mind this being bumped 2 days later, whoops)
  • Do your character’s strengths and weaknesses match up with what they think their strengths and weaknesses are?
  • Consider how your character usually interacts with people, in any context in the broadest sense. (Even someone who’s shy in, say, school, might be more sociable when hanging out with friends; maybe they’re polite/considerate in both cases?) Now, what would make them act counter to that? (Following the “polite” example: “I’m really nice until you annoy me” sure seems to be a common trait.)
  • If you don’t have one (or more) already, what would your character’s foil be like?
  • How do they cope with stress (if at all), short- and long-term? big and little stressors? If they have go-to methods (meditation? junk food?) where did they pick those up?
  • Personality tests like the MBTI can be fun. Once you get a result, in what ways (if any) does your character not fit the archetypal result?
  • How have your character’s relationships changed over time? Are there any that are drastically different now than when they met?
  • Similar to the above, was there a point in your character’s life where they’d never believe they are who/where they are today, and vice versa?
  • What would your character’s ideal living space be like? Are they trying to get there, if they’ve thought about it at all?
  • How would your character react to suddenly becoming known for something they like? or don’t like? (Think going viral, or an equivalent in your setting; maybe they were showing off, maybe they were doing something stupid on a dare.)
  • If their first impression of someone was a trait they don’t like about themselves, how would they react?
  • Your character is asked for a slightly strenuous and/or inconvenient favor, like having to hold a stranger’s luggage. How would they reply to a calm request? a hasty one? What if the stranger hardly asks and just acts like they’re supposed to do it (ex. a gruff demand, otherwise treating them like it’s their job)?
  • What’s their biggest regret? (It doesn’t have to be dramatic; “one time I forgot to wish my friend a happy birthday” can totally count. The surface significance is less important than how much they personally wish it hadn’t happened; this can tell you a lot about their values!)

Man, I could keep going, but that’s probably a good haul for now C:< You don’t have to answer them all for each character, of course; I tried to make them applicable regardless of setting, but feel free to modify as you see fit. (Also, I honestly wouldn’t be able to answer them all myself off the top of my head; sometimes it’s fun to think of some random question/scenario and run through how your whole lineup would answer/respond.)

Oh, and for a bonus round: after going through this or other questionnaires in an objective third-person bio format (or however you default to answering), do a few in your character’s voice, as if they were being interviewed. If their own answers don’t line up with the truth, why? And can you leverage these discrepancies in the story?

Have fun!
1 2