Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Old Skyhaven Thread
1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 116 117
sweeeet
sweeeet
3B15OeM.pngq9EEy5M.pngz9OsVtc.png
Ooo nice
Ooo nice

YUDnQsm.png
1vAtYxM.png
JNaCTSP.png
4xqaZpf.png

bYt72YT.png
ZA25l2S.png
1j2YGao.png
YMPbu9R.png
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]

• We make art!
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
@BrightBreeze Yup, updates are the best! (but only if they're special updates that come once in a while, not daily ones)
@BrightBreeze Yup, updates are the best! (but only if they're special updates that come once in a while, not daily ones)
0EgCmlK.png >> Wishlist
>> Avatar dragon
>> 1,000 Days of G&G
>> Bean's Showcase, Boutique, and Workshop
Ooo!
Ooo!
Cauldron Services [Open]
| Wind Dominance Shop [CLOSED] | Dressing and Geneing Services (Free!) [Open] |
[center] @Cynderfire @BrightBreeze @Eskria @Lunalis @PrinceOfSoup @Moonpool18 @SpiritX @MediaeLycan @Bezonox @Tweeter101 @kitty1425 @Enen16106 @Unicorn6 Now, here's a guide to natural markings, as well as pictures for both recognized/natural traits. [size=4][b]So, what are natural markings?[/b][/size] Natural markings are a different kind of marking (marking, trait, and gene are all synonyms in this case) that is so varied, it cannot possibly be catalogued. These [i]can[/i] be hosted by all species, but that would take organized breeding to achieve, as it is unknown what the percentage for a specific natural marking to be passed down to offspring is. When two parents breed, say, one with a recognized trait and one with a natural trait, the natural one is more likely to appear, but in a different way. If the recognized trait appears, it will be very similar to the parent(s)'s. Of course, it is more likely that a dragon will have no markings at all, much like Flight Rising (if you breed a parent with little/no marks. [size=4][b]I'm confused[/b][/size] You should be! Genetics are very confusing, especially with all the variables to take into account, of what species, health, likelihood, etc and it's hard to explain with just words. However, hopefully I can help you with some of these images I made: And no, normal Skyhaven dragons will still be traditionally drawn, because I could never draw all of those dragons digitally and still be alive. I only did these digitally because I thought showing markings on one pose would be easier, and using one pose digitally is easier. Before we move on, you must understand that markings can affect any areas of the body at once, which means that a marking might be able to affect only the wings on one dragon, but the whole body of another. Or perhaps a marking on one dragon is a streak on it's legs, but for another it's a streak on it's leg and neck. This applies to both recognized and natural markings, but for recognized traits there is less chance of area coverage variation. [size=4][b]Recognized Markings:[/b][/size] Say this is a random Sunwing, and they have a recognized marking of [b]Tiger[/b] (which is a real marking): [img]https://imgur.com/BJ9Odky.png[/img] If they were to have offspring with another mate, who we'll say has no visible markings (visible marking: you cannot see a trait on the dragon, although he may carry a marking in his genes) and is of similar color, the kiddo might look like this, very similar: [img]https://imgur.com/tofbTS7.png[/img] However, if that same dragon were to mate with a dragon like this: [img]https://imgur.com/k64WKjD.png[/img] who has a recognized marking of [b]Wingstamp[/b], their offspring might be different. Any of the following could happen: [list] [*]Their offspring might be blue with __color Tiger marks [*]Their offspring might be green with __color Tiger marks [*]Their offspring might look exactly like Tiger.parent but have Wingstamp marks [*]Their offspring might look exactly like Wingstamp.parent but have Tiger marks [*]etc etc. with all the similar possibilities. [/list] However, if that Wingstamp parent were to mate with a dragon with no visible marks, and the Wingstamp trait is successfully passed down (there is a chance a gene will die out from parent-to-offspring!), the hatchling may appear almost the same: (image has some weird marks on the sides, ignore those) [img]https://imgur.com/Hcib8IO.png[/img] And that's a *quick, simple* overview of recognized traits. Are we done? No! We still have to go through the natural markings, remember? Yeah, I'm not exactly looking too forward to that either, but the good thing is that genetics apply to both recognized and natural traits for the most part, and if you're ever confused, feel free to give me a headache :) Although maybe give me a minute to rest my fingers... [size=4][b]Natural Markings:[/b][/size] Introducing a new breed: the Wisper, called a Wisper because a. 'wisp' = 'wind' , get it? b. it's a quiet breed. I [i]was[/i] going to make it a one-time breed to celebrate game launch, but then I decided I love drawing noodle-saurs too much, and yeah. It is now one of the more common (plentiful if FR) breeds. Anyway, say this is a wild Wisper that you just happened to find: [img]https://imgur.com/zcvGPJR.png[/img] And it's wisps (the elemental wind on it) are [i]tinted a different color[/i]. Very rare occurrence. The Wisper decides to mate with this gal: [img]https://imgur.com/40aek2y.png[/img] They both show natural markings, for the sake of demonstration. And, honestly, natural markings shouldn't be hard to find. [s]I shall include an explore feature into the game[/s] A mix of their genes would occur, with all successfully passed down traits showing. However, since those traits are not dominant like recognized markings (another piece of information you must [s]forget[/s] memorize), they will be altered when they mix when the other parent's genes. Example of a possible hatchling: [img]https://imgur.com/jPsEhP5.png[/img] You may notice it's wisps aren't tinted as much, even though they are, because of the rarity of tinted wisps and the fact only one parent has a tint. The markings on it's body follow the color scheme and appearance of the father more, but the mother's colors seem to be dominant in this case. Ah, what you can do with a user-run game. [size=4][b]Grayscale Dragons:[/b][/size] Nope! We aren't even done there! The last update I have for you is grayscale dragons. You may have heard of the different color rarities of breeds, not yet specified: [list] [*]Common colors, which could be called the 'plentiful breeds' of the color kingdom [*]Uncommon colors, which aren't as common as common colors, but aren't hard to find [*]Rare colors, which are rare (bad pun) to find, and would usually be a cause of celebration. [/list] But, I left one out. [list] [*]Epic colors, which consist only of shades of black, white, and gray. These color's appearance chances through selective breeding aren't too low, as long as you have the right parents with the right genes, but random breeding chances are about that of an egg during scavenging in FR. Finding these grayscale dragons in the wild has a chance about five time that of an egg. [/list] So if ever you get two grayscales of the opposite gender... I'll let you dream.
@Cynderfire @BrightBreeze @Eskria @Lunalis @PrinceOfSoup @Moonpool18 @SpiritX @MediaeLycan @Bezonox @Tweeter101 @kitty1425 @Enen16106 @Unicorn6

Now, here's a guide to natural markings, as well as pictures for both recognized/natural traits.

So, what are natural markings?
Natural markings are a different kind of marking (marking, trait, and gene are all synonyms in this case) that is so varied, it cannot possibly be catalogued. These can be hosted by all species, but that would take organized breeding to achieve, as it is unknown what the percentage for a specific natural marking to be passed down to offspring is.

When two parents breed, say, one with a recognized trait and one with a natural trait, the natural one is more likely to appear, but in a different way. If the recognized trait appears, it will be very similar to the parent(s)'s.

Of course, it is more likely that a dragon will have no markings at all, much like Flight Rising (if you breed a parent with little/no marks.

I'm confused
You should be! Genetics are very confusing, especially with all the variables to take into account, of what species, health, likelihood, etc and it's hard to explain with just words. However, hopefully I can help you with some of these images I made:

And no, normal Skyhaven dragons will still be traditionally drawn, because I could never draw all of those dragons digitally and still be alive. I only did these digitally because I thought showing markings on one pose would be easier, and using one pose digitally is easier.

Before we move on, you must understand that markings can affect any areas of the body at once, which means that a marking might be able to affect only the wings on one dragon, but the whole body of another. Or perhaps a marking on one dragon is a streak on it's legs, but for another it's a streak on it's leg and neck. This applies to both recognized and natural markings, but for recognized traits there is less chance of area coverage variation.

Recognized Markings:
Say this is a random Sunwing, and they have a recognized marking of Tiger (which is a real marking):
BJ9Odky.png

If they were to have offspring with another mate, who we'll say has no visible markings (visible marking: you cannot see a trait on the dragon, although he may carry a marking in his genes) and is of similar color, the kiddo might look like this, very similar:
tofbTS7.png

However, if that same dragon were to mate with a dragon like this:
k64WKjD.png

who has a recognized marking of Wingstamp, their offspring might be different. Any of the following could happen:
  • Their offspring might be blue with __color Tiger marks
  • Their offspring might be green with __color Tiger marks
  • Their offspring might look exactly like Tiger.parent but have Wingstamp marks
  • Their offspring might look exactly like Wingstamp.parent but have Tiger marks
  • etc etc. with all the similar possibilities.

However, if that Wingstamp parent were to mate with a dragon with no visible marks, and the Wingstamp trait is successfully passed down (there is a chance a gene will die out from parent-to-offspring!), the hatchling may appear almost the same:
(image has some weird marks on the sides, ignore those)
Hcib8IO.png

And that's a *quick, simple* overview of recognized traits. Are we done? No! We still have to go through the natural markings, remember? Yeah, I'm not exactly looking too forward to that either, but the good thing is that genetics apply to both recognized and natural traits for the most part, and if you're ever confused, feel free to give me a headache :)

Although maybe give me a minute to rest my fingers...

Natural Markings:
Introducing a new breed: the Wisper, called a Wisper because a. 'wisp' = 'wind' , get it? b. it's a quiet breed.

I was going to make it a one-time breed to celebrate game launch, but then I decided I love drawing noodle-saurs too much, and yeah. It is now one of the more common (plentiful if FR) breeds.

Anyway, say this is a wild Wisper that you just happened to find:
zcvGPJR.png

And it's wisps (the elemental wind on it) are tinted a different color. Very rare occurrence.

The Wisper decides to mate with this gal:
40aek2y.png

They both show natural markings, for the sake of demonstration. And, honestly, natural markings shouldn't be hard to find. I shall include an explore feature into the game

A mix of their genes would occur, with all successfully passed down traits showing. However, since those traits are not dominant like recognized markings (another piece of information you must forget memorize), they will be altered when they mix when the other parent's genes.

Example of a possible hatchling:
jPsEhP5.png
You may notice it's wisps aren't tinted as much, even though they are, because of the rarity of tinted wisps and the fact only one parent has a tint. The markings on it's body follow the color scheme and appearance of the father more, but the mother's colors seem to be dominant in this case.

Ah, what you can do with a user-run game.

Grayscale Dragons:
Nope! We aren't even done there!

The last update I have for you is grayscale dragons. You may have heard of the different color rarities of breeds, not yet specified:
  • Common colors, which could be called the 'plentiful breeds' of the color kingdom
  • Uncommon colors, which aren't as common as common colors, but aren't hard to find
  • Rare colors, which are rare (bad pun) to find, and would usually be a cause of celebration.

But, I left one out.
  • Epic colors, which consist only of shades of black, white, and gray. These color's appearance chances through selective breeding aren't too low, as long as you have the right parents with the right genes, but random breeding chances are about that of an egg during scavenging in FR. Finding these grayscale dragons in the wild has a chance about five time that of an egg.

So if ever you get two grayscales of the opposite gender... I'll let you dream.
0EgCmlK.png >> Wishlist
>> Avatar dragon
>> 1,000 Days of G&G
Yay!!
Yay!!
37058121.png61551039.png34617255.png54816967.png59626149.png
@Cynderfire
Me: writes gigantic update that took 1.5 days to polish
You: Yay!!
Me: *dies of exhaustion*
@Cynderfire
Me: writes gigantic update that took 1.5 days to polish
You: Yay!!
Me: *dies of exhaustion*
0EgCmlK.png >> Wishlist
>> Avatar dragon
>> 1,000 Days of G&G
WoooooW!!
Ok but the wisper dragons are so cute!
This must have taken a lot of time, good job
WoooooW!!
Ok but the wisper dragons are so cute!
This must have taken a lot of time, good job
3B15OeM.pngq9EEy5M.pngz9OsVtc.png
@Eskria
Yes, it took too long.
Far, far too long...
@Eskria
Yes, it took too long.
Far, far too long...
0EgCmlK.png >> Wishlist
>> Avatar dragon
>> 1,000 Days of G&G
Also, when will we be allowed to adopt/create starter dragons?
Also, when will we be allowed to adopt/create starter dragons?
37058121.png61551039.png34617255.png54816967.png59626149.png
1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 116 117