Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Opinions on Switches & Drifting?
1 2 3 4
I received the pokemon switch as a gift in 2018 and I luckily never experienced drifting with my joycons. Then I had two bootleg controllers that after a few months made any game unplayable and an official gamecube pro controller that drifts only sometimes, especially when the batteries are almost depleted, but it's never been a big problem.

I have a friend that had the switch longer than me and was very unlucky with his controllers: each one of them has heavy drifting to the point that he can't play most games and one of his joycons ha a button that doesn't work anymore. Idk if it was just bad luck or if he's just heavier with button mashing and stuff, I know for certain that he dropped his controllers a few times. I try to be careful when using controllers, especially since I heard about drifting, but I can't say how much is about luck or not.
I received the pokemon switch as a gift in 2018 and I luckily never experienced drifting with my joycons. Then I had two bootleg controllers that after a few months made any game unplayable and an official gamecube pro controller that drifts only sometimes, especially when the batteries are almost depleted, but it's never been a big problem.

I have a friend that had the switch longer than me and was very unlucky with his controllers: each one of them has heavy drifting to the point that he can't play most games and one of his joycons ha a button that doesn't work anymore. Idk if it was just bad luck or if he's just heavier with button mashing and stuff, I know for certain that he dropped his controllers a few times. I try to be careful when using controllers, especially since I heard about drifting, but I can't say how much is about luck or not.
cQS6PnX.png
T0lT2WO.png
45IOEOz.png
Jg1iwNo.png
dEe2UrM.png
YMPbu9R.png

wCNI1.gif
pXZvU.gif
yy9yo.gif
yHVqe.gif
i have a lite and my left joycon has started to drift slightly / develop a deadzone where it won't register movement if i press to the right (especially while playing Sword, it makes riding the bike a hassle cus the movement stop-goes so much).

my datemate's regular switch also has a drifting left joycon (always the left, for some reason; the most used side, i guess?) but they've had their switch since 2018, around christmas, but they only started to notice theirs drifting around march of this year, and they've used their switch a lot between then and now.

mileage may vary, i suppose.
i have a lite and my left joycon has started to drift slightly / develop a deadzone where it won't register movement if i press to the right (especially while playing Sword, it makes riding the bike a hassle cus the movement stop-goes so much).

my datemate's regular switch also has a drifting left joycon (always the left, for some reason; the most used side, i guess?) but they've had their switch since 2018, around christmas, but they only started to notice theirs drifting around march of this year, and they've used their switch a lot between then and now.

mileage may vary, i suppose.
N i c k
"Fear not the night."
→ he/him
dd9d37c13149d4412f933c2662309cbb42245e81.png
I have a V2 and never had any drifting problems despite daily use and out of all the 8+ people I know who have a switch, only one of them had massive drifting problems (with a V2 Switch). I live in europe and when I hear of people having drifting problems, it's almost always people from NA. Don't know if this is a coincidence or not.
I have a V2 and never had any drifting problems despite daily use and out of all the 8+ people I know who have a switch, only one of them had massive drifting problems (with a V2 Switch). I live in europe and when I hear of people having drifting problems, it's almost always people from NA. Don't know if this is a coincidence or not.
OSPKX5l.png
I got my original Switch on launch, and it only started drifting on the right joystick two years ago. Given, I hardly play on that particular Switch on handheld and use a pro controller in place of the detachable controllers, so it doesn't bother me too much.
Still, I guess it's a hit-and-miss scenario in terms of drifting. Some controllers will end up drifting, some won't.
I got my original Switch on launch, and it only started drifting on the right joystick two years ago. Given, I hardly play on that particular Switch on handheld and use a pro controller in place of the detachable controllers, so it doesn't bother me too much.
Still, I guess it's a hit-and-miss scenario in terms of drifting. Some controllers will end up drifting, some won't.

WNKiucd.png
LEpJMnn.png
dT9HQge.png
bX96R21.png
UVJYCUl.png
My husband and I got a Nintendo Switch for each of us. The oldest one (his) is suffering from drift issues, and mine currently isn't, but I play a lot more than he does so we'll see how long that lasts.

If you're worried I'd avoid getting the Lite and go for the regular Switch since you can buy a third-party controller which is -way- cheaper than joycons, in case they go bad.
My husband and I got a Nintendo Switch for each of us. The oldest one (his) is suffering from drift issues, and mine currently isn't, but I play a lot more than he does so we'll see how long that lasts.

If you're worried I'd avoid getting the Lite and go for the regular Switch since you can buy a third-party controller which is -way- cheaper than joycons, in case they go bad.
We have a switch from launch and 3 of our joycons started drifting, the oldest worse than the newer ones.

It's caused by dirt and junk getting under the thumbstick.
We managed to fix it with some isopropyl alcohol, just a small dab into the hole where the thumbstick meets the joycon, wiggle it around for 5 minutes, haven't had any problems since.

If you have drift issues, try this. It might work, it might not, but isopropyl alcohol evaporates and won't hurt your joycon. It seriously gave us so much relief, we don't have drift anymore.

Though if it comes to OG vs Lite, I really recommend the OG because the lite is almost as expensive, but with literally half the features. The OG has a lot more versatility to it.
We have a switch from launch and 3 of our joycons started drifting, the oldest worse than the newer ones.

It's caused by dirt and junk getting under the thumbstick.
We managed to fix it with some isopropyl alcohol, just a small dab into the hole where the thumbstick meets the joycon, wiggle it around for 5 minutes, haven't had any problems since.

If you have drift issues, try this. It might work, it might not, but isopropyl alcohol evaporates and won't hurt your joycon. It seriously gave us so much relief, we don't have drift anymore.

Though if it comes to OG vs Lite, I really recommend the OG because the lite is almost as expensive, but with literally half the features. The OG has a lot more versatility to it.
YgOQ2oY.pngRfSBvPi.pngRtSbM78.pngiezVfl0.pngiWjBTCn.png

What @EclipseDragon said. And you can't play games on your tv if you have the Lite version like you can with the normal.
What @EclipseDragon said. And you can't play games on your tv if you have the Lite version like you can with the normal.
I got my lite earlier this month and haven't had any issues yet with it so that's good? I'm really worried about drift though.
I got my lite earlier this month and haven't had any issues yet with it so that's good? I'm really worried about drift though.
A pixel sprite of a clown waving her arms up and down
clowning
was MissNevermind
I got my Switch in late 2018, although I mainly used it to play Mario Kart for the first few months. My left joycon started drifting forward in July 2019 and I eventually sent it in for repairs when it started interfering with gameplay (around the fall, I guess). Maybe it's because I didn't use it as much for the first few months, but it took my joycons a while to start drifting, if it helps at all. My right joycons have recently started to drift (one to the right and one backward), but I'm not too worried about it yet.
I got my Switch in late 2018, although I mainly used it to play Mario Kart for the first few months. My left joycon started drifting forward in July 2019 and I eventually sent it in for repairs when it started interfering with gameplay (around the fall, I guess). Maybe it's because I didn't use it as much for the first few months, but it took my joycons a while to start drifting, if it helps at all. My right joycons have recently started to drift (one to the right and one backward), but I'm not too worried about it yet.
Wetdog | she/her | fr +3
I got my Switch in March/April of 2019. It started drifting a couple months ago.. so, it was fine for a year. Kinda annoying to play ACNH with it... havent tried to play other games like Monster Hunter or Abzu or Pokemon since the drifting started, but yeah.. considering in buying another pair of joycons and probably sending these to Nintendo since I think you won't pay for repairs.
I got my Switch in March/April of 2019. It started drifting a couple months ago.. so, it was fine for a year. Kinda annoying to play ACNH with it... havent tried to play other games like Monster Hunter or Abzu or Pokemon since the drifting started, but yeah.. considering in buying another pair of joycons and probably sending these to Nintendo since I think you won't pay for repairs.
1 2 3 4